llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: What DVDs/ Video are you watching  (Read 68975 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Pieh

• A Lordliest Scent
  • Strolenati
  • Master
  • I accidentally the entire Citadel!
  • Awards Master Questor 2011 Most Quest Submissions 2010 Most Submissions 2010 Most Quest Submissions Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
Re: What DVDs/ Video are you watching
« Reply #150 on: December 15, 2008, 09:52:18 PM »
Some movies I saw recently:

Hancock - A great spin on a superhero theme. The transformation of Hancock from a drunken vigilante to a fully suited-up hero is a fun trip. It was a bit too silly in a couple parts, but overall very entertaining. 4/5

Batman: The Dark Knight - Not bad, not great. What probably ruined it for me was how over-hyped it was. I get excited about seeing a movie and it just doesn't live up to my expectations. But, like I said, not bad. 3.5/5

Step Brothers - No. Don't watch this movie. It's horrible, and just sick. (Not worth voting on, Do Not Bump)
Cultist Rule #1 - Never summon anything bigger than your head.

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Item Guild Elite Plot Guild Elite Systems Guild Golden Creator
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #151 on: December 16, 2008, 04:49:15 AM »
I had the same expectations when I went to watch Batman, and I reacted just like you did Pieh. It was a decent movie, but the first was better and the whole Heath Ledger hype hysteria destroyed much for me. He performed well, but, well, not that well. Not well enough to live up to the hype.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Item Guild Lifeforms Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Golden Creator 5
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #152 on: December 18, 2008, 08:23:06 AM »
Just saw it last night finally, and I have a really stupid question, that I don't feel like researching online. Why is Harvey Dent/Two-Face dead?  Isn't he supposed to come back as Two-Face now and again? :p

Also, saw the Hulk. Needless to say, it was certainly better than the first one! One major complaint...

I am supposed to believe that Tim "Tiny" Roth, all 5'5", 155 pounds of him, is a bad-ass commando? Hahahaha. Miscast!

Also, being a big fan of Abomination, I thought the monster looked dopey too.

I realize I am a bit dated with these reviews. I don't get out much anymore :p

« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 08:59:21 AM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Triumph of the Dungeon Master!

Ah, how I have come to love that sense of accomplishment and victory that I get when I pull the wool over the eyes of a clever player character. What DM Triumphs have you had?

Some of mine:
1. Finally killing an incredibly powerful, lucky, annoying player's character.
2. Finally achieving a TPK (Total Party Kill)
3. Finally achieving a TPK using only traps
4. Finally working out how to make it so that d**n wizard doesn't steal the spotlight all the d**n time.

-Captain Penguin

Offline Chaosmark

• Harbringer of Segfaults
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
« Reply #153 on: December 18, 2008, 10:35:29 AM »
Us 5'5", 155lb-ers can kick some butt when we need to.

I don't do many movies anymore. No time, really. I'll probably check out the live concert dvd that came with my End of Silence Deluxe Edition over Christmas Break.
P(A|B) = P(B|A)*P(A)/P(B)

By the power of Bayes!

Acolyte Lithil Darkheart – Level 1 Necromancer
STR: 1 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3

Current guild quest: --

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Systems Guild Gold Creator 10 Elite Questor
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #154 on: December 18, 2008, 04:22:13 PM »
Gundam SeeD
Racial warfare between genetically modified 'Coordinators' and unaugmented humans, throw in giant mechs, hidden space ships, a hate group, and some basic anime tropes.

Not bad, but no NGE

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Item Guild Elite Plot Guild Elite Systems Guild Golden Creator
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #155 on: December 18, 2008, 04:28:40 PM »
Awlritey then Chaosmark! We can arrange our own private fight club the next Strolencon, to test your theories! :p ;) (just kidding)
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #156 on: December 18, 2008, 05:54:42 PM »
Which reminds me of...

Southland Tales
Now that was a weird trip. The best thing was probably the intentional miscasting of many characters, who had to play against their usual stereotypes. The plot and its intentions are still a mess for me, though there were a couple good songs and a couple good lines.

Watch it if you want something... different.
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #157 on: March 18, 2009, 01:13:51 PM »
In the last few days I have been living Netflix

West World:  1972  and its age shows.  It was once a great film, now... its age is showing.  Still it was inspirational sci-fi from back in the day.

Robot Jox:  I knew it was a trash film going in.  The haze of my memory was obviously blocking out the pain involved.  The premise was great. It attempted to be Rollerball in scope and failed - critically.  OMG it was awful.  Still the FX were good, for the day.

Sometimes, you can not revisit your childhood/ teen years.

OMG Logan's Run is the next on my list.  Well, at least I know that movie is merely good from way back when.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
  • Awards 2012 Society of the Year Elite Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #158 on: March 30, 2009, 10:13:26 PM »
Just watched Australia, starring Hugh Jackman and Nicole Kidman.  I had heard the reviews weren't spectacular, so I didn't have high expectations going in, but I was thoroughly impressed.  It's a real Aussie epic, reminded me of a great Western but more... Australian, I guess.  I especially enjoyed the portrayal of Aboriginal culture and mythology, it gave the whole film a sort of otherworldly, surreal layer.  I recommend it.
Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 2
Cartography Guild Minor Minion
Acolyte of the Divine Synod, Merchant of Divine Wealth
STR: 4 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 4

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #159 on: April 10, 2009, 11:39:12 PM »
The most recent runs of the BBC's 1996 series  Robin Hood have graced my VCR.  They are well worth watching. 

Phineas and Ferb are on my TV 6 hours a day. Help Me Mr. Wizard. 

The Speed Racer movie was actually better the 3rd time around.

Thunderbirds both 1st season and the Jonathan Frakes 2004 Movie (which is much better if you have seen the original series) have been running a lot on our TV.

MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Item Guild Lifeforms Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Golden Creator 5
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #160 on: December 04, 2009, 12:26:59 PM »
The Vanguard (speaking of zombies)

An ultra low-budget British-made movie, but not half bad, featuring an interesting protagonist, who may or may not be the only person alive who is unaffected by the zombie virus polluting the earth. His daily existence revolves around defending himself against ravenous morons (zombies), with his hand-axes (never has a hand-axe seemed so deadly) and spears, and living to see another day. If that wasn’t bad enough, he is also apparently deaf and mute.

Won’t reveal anything more, but all in all, a decent flick *considering* the meager budget (this cannot be overstated). The director tries all kinds of shots to make you think there are countless soldiers, zombies, and other stuff going-on, but these things are usually happening slightly “off-camera”, and what we mostly see are a handful of actors traversing a forest.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 10:57:52 PM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Ah, how I have come to love that sense of accomplishment and victory that I get when I pull the wool over the eyes of a clever player character. What DM Triumphs have you had?

Some of mine:
4. Finally working out how to make it so that d**n wizard doesn't steal the spotlight all the d**n time.

-Captain Penguin

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #161 on: December 04, 2009, 07:01:29 PM »
I actually watched Harry Potter and the Half Blood prince the other day. HP is really darkening, I must say!

I loved the film. Plenty of acting, and Harry actually lost in the end. Fascinating.

It was a good film 8/10.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Maggot

• Insectoid Horror Of Canberra
  • Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Questor Society Guild Elite Society Guild Item Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #162 on: December 12, 2009, 12:41:21 AM »
I agree with you. Compared to previous HP flicks, they decided to go easy on the sentimental teen mush this time.  That was a good decision on their part.
“I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak.” -Bill Watterson

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #163 on: December 17, 2009, 11:41:17 PM »
Help me.  My wife has gotten into a grind. 

The Santa Clause I

The Santa Clause II

The Santa Clause III

When they are not on TV, they are in my VCR.  I have seen all the movies twice.. in the last 10 days.   She has watched them more often then that.

I think I will never complain about her playing White Christmas ever again.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #164 on: December 21, 2009, 11:34:05 AM »
See some Watchmen or something... get some much needed darkness into your system.
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #165 on: December 21, 2009, 05:37:31 PM »
"If you're a gamer, know a gamer, are related to a gamer, or could even be acquainted with a gamer, then you should see this film!"--review :)

THE GAMERS, DORKNESS RISING! Can be found on Netflix  instant viewing, as long as you are a member, or on Youtube for free in parts.

The Gamers 2: Dorkness Rising (Part 1 of 11)

Funny!!!! :up:
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 05:50:40 PM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #166 on: December 22, 2009, 01:41:48 AM »
:D Good one Muro!
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Pieh

• A Lordliest Scent
  • Strolenati
  • Master
  • I accidentally the entire Citadel!
  • Awards Master Questor 2011 Most Quest Submissions 2010 Most Submissions 2010 Most Quest Submissions Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #167 on: December 26, 2009, 01:46:23 AM »
Me and the family watched Santa's Slay on Christmas Eve.

Here is the IMDB Entry: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0393685/

It was a funny B-movie with Goldberg (Yes, the wrestler) as an evil Santa who goes on a killing spree. My favorite line was was: (The main character shine's a flashlight in Golberg's eyes as he is trying to crush the kid and his girlfriend with a zamboni machine) "I'm Santa Clause, not f***ing Dracula!"

Overall, it was a horrible movie that might have just become a Christmas tradition.
Cultist Rule #1 - Never summon anything bigger than your head.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #168 on: January 24, 2010, 09:30:14 PM »
Star Trek 2009:  This was well worth the time and effort. It is the best "re-imagination" I have ever seen. 

Quest for Camalot:  This animated film has one of the best sound tracks ever. This is a good movie without the winning sound track.  It is a bit of a modern fantasy, so it is a bit politically correct and emotionally feel good.  If you liked Camalot (the movie), or like Arthurian myth, you will like this movie.

Mr and Mrs Smith, if you don't own this one... you need to rent it/ netflix it.  Married spies find out they are working for opposing agencies.  Guns, violence, and tactics.  Worth the time.   

Indiania Jones.... Need I say more? 
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #169 on: January 25, 2010, 06:43:24 AM »
Just watched Avatar in 3D, as did the rest of the world according to the box office charts.

d**n it was good!
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Questor Locations Guild Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #170 on: January 25, 2010, 09:06:17 PM »
Legend of the Seeker: Season's 1 and 2

TV mini series based on Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series.

Remember the Hercules and Xena, well consider that practice for this batch. Started out a little silly. Watched one episode and dropped it for a bit. Then watched a couple when I was stuck on the couch after twisting my foot. Sitting at a desk had my foot throbbing.

It has been a good amount of years ago that I read those books and obviously they were better, but man this series seems to hit all the great ideas from it. Each episode is a solid stand alone story that continues to push along the overarching plot in a great way. Cast was not overly cheesey at all and I was able to get sucked right in. Watched them all basically one after another over the past 4 days or so and was never bored. Loved it!

Also started with Robin Hood Season 1 and, while a bit more cheese than the Seeker, still a pretty good set of perfect little stories that are mineable for ideas. Another series that is right up our alley I believe. Robin Hood has that English swagger that I remember being so prominent in the main character of Green Street Hooligans.

(PS the Roku and Netflix play on demand is frick'n awesome - you can keep your cable and satellite which I don't have :) )

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #171 on: January 26, 2010, 05:06:00 AM »
I watched a "Legend of the Seeker" episode the other day as well, Strolen.

I liked it!
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #172 on: February 01, 2010, 10:17:22 AM »
I endorse both Legend of the Seeker and the Robin Hood series (BBC America is on our cable listing... so saw it live). 

If you can get them Primeval and Torchwood.

If you haven't seen the recent run of Dr. Who, now mostly out on DVD, watch that.  Even if you have never been a fan of the show before, you will drop right in and "get it". 

And I have to join the Avatar is Great Parade.  It really is the best movie going right now.  Sure the plot is not 100% orriginal (Science Fiction Dancing with Wolves...).  However it has some intriguing sci fi concepts AND some kick ass effect.  I will watch it again this time in 3D fairly soon.

MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Maggot

• Insectoid Horror Of Canberra
  • Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Questor Society Guild Elite Society Guild Item Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #173 on: February 04, 2010, 09:25:02 PM »
It's actually in the running for Best Picture at the Oscars along with District 9. I have to say that after having watched the latter, Avatar didn't impress me as much as it should have.
“I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak.” -Bill Watterson

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #174 on: February 05, 2010, 11:56:01 PM »
It's actually in the running for Best Picture at the Oscars along with District 9. I have to say that after having watched the latter, Avatar didn't impress me as much as it should have.

I think the movie is losing ground to its own hype. Everyone is going "ooohh" and "ahhhh" and "wooowwwww".  This sets everyone's expectaions really high.  It is a good moving, bordering on great.  IThey hype is going to kill it. Which is a shame.

MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©