llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: What DVDs/ Video are you watching  (Read 64756 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Item Guild Lifeforms Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Elite Item Guild
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
Re: What DVDs/ Video are you watching
« Reply #75 on: March 20, 2007, 03:14:54 PM »
yeah, Primer is like that. What impressed me most, is not their brand of time-travelling science (though it was certainly a NEW twist and fascinating) but that the movie was a simple idea, filmed on a 7K budget, and well, rocked...relatively speaking.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 03:22:37 PM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Triumph of the Dungeon Master!

Ah, how I have come to love that sense of accomplishment and victory that I get when I pull the wool over the eyes of a clever player character. What DM Triumphs have you had?

Some of mine:
1. Finally killing an incredibly powerful, lucky, annoying player's character.
2. Finally achieving a TPK (Total Party Kill)
3. Finally achieving a TPK using only traps
4. Finally working out how to make it so that d**n wizard doesn't steal the spotlight all the d**n time.

-Captain Penguin

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Elite Systems Guild Elite Item Guild Golden Creator Elite Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: March 20, 2007, 03:36:49 PM »
Crank - Well, I like Jason Statham the way I used to like Vin Diesel. It seems he is the new, rising "cool action star" and all. As for Crank it certainly didn't pretend to be anything other than it was: A non-stop action fest with some humoristic sequences and new angles. Of course it doesn't have a shred of likelihood, but... I liked it! :D

It kept me amused and awake for the duration. The plot had some interesting twists and nuances and my initial doubt was overcome quickly. Had it not featured Statham I probably wouldn't have rented it in the first place though. (I wonder when Statham is gonna do a "credible actor" thing and play a baby sitter action figure like Schwarzenegger, Stallone, Reynolds, Diesel, Hulk Hogan and all other male action actors before him?) *sigh*
4/5 flames
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite Item Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2007, 06:29:42 PM »
Dark City - This is the movie "The Matrix" was trying to be, and is infinitely more disturbing, and I think better.  You spend most of the movie going "What the hell?" before they explain everything near the end.  Then every thing makes sense.  Or at least, as much sense as it's ever going to make.

V for Vendetta - I was finally made to watch this, and I can tell I should have seen it much sooner.  It deals with some pretty hefty Orwell-type themes in a very cool way.  There are also little touches all through it that mean you have to watch it more than once to catch them all.

Avatar: The Last Airbender - This is one of the few American attempts at anime that actually works.  If you're into anime at all, you should at least check this out.  Fantasy-ish setting, fun characters.
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2007, 08:14:39 PM »
I actually really like Avatar when I watched it on Nick (It was Nick, right?  Not Cartoon Network?), but I didn't make it through the whole 1st season because we moved and I lost access to cable.

Minority Report:  Pretty good.  Based off of a Phil K Dick story, which is generally a plus.  The only downside, in my point of view was that the movie seemed to climax twice, leading to a 5 or 10 minute period where I was sitting there thinking "wtf?  Don't they know that it isn't polite to leave questions unanswered at the end of a feature length film?" before I realized what was happening.

Serenity: Wow.  I want to shoot myself for taking so long to see this movie, and now I have to find myself some way to watch the series.
They were immediately and absolutely recognizable as adventurers... They were hardy and dangerous, lawless, stripped of allegiance or morality, living off their wits, stealing and killing, hiring themselves out to whoever and whatever came. They were inspired by dubious virtues.  China Mieville - Perdido Street Station

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite Item Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2007, 08:19:26 PM »
Avatar was on Nick, yes, although it's being released on dvd, which is the way I saw it.  (I hate network television.)

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Systems Guild Gold Creator 10 Elite Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2007, 02:32:00 AM »
Dark City was totally wicked, with gimpy Keiffer Sutherland shuffling around like some nightmare addled druggie. The end was certainly weird, but he did 'find' Shell beach.

Avatar is okay, but network TV sucks and I've not caught more than a handful of episodes.

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2007, 03:10:36 AM »
Well, it makes more sense if you've seen it in order.

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Elite Systems Guild Elite Item Guild Golden Creator Elite Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: March 22, 2007, 04:15:59 AM »
Dark City is AWESOME!
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Andimia

• The last person picked for kickball
  • Lord
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
    • Andimia.Deviantart.com
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2007, 08:51:32 AM »
Neverending story and Neverending story: the next chapter. - no explanation needed,
Underworld - I love the mythology and the characters in the movie. I think it's the only reason I continue to watch it.
Van Helsing - again, mythology and characters. This movie is pretty darn fun too.
Daredevil - yeah so I went on a super hero, macabre binge one day...
Kill Bill vol. 1 and 2. - Quentin Tarintino stole my story about an assassin who becomes pregnant and wants to get out of the life. my version she's tortured on her last mission and loses the baby. I guess that's why I don't make lots of money off of my stories.
Gamora the indestructible - awesome old monster movie. "he's just hungry and misunderstood."
Night of the bloodbeast - another old monster movie. alien impregnation of an astronaut, heads getting chewed off, magnetic interference, all that wonderful goodness. it's all on the same dvd as gamora.
Equilibrium - I love the whole resistance theme.
Stigmata - I think it's an awesome concept of an atheist suddenly having to believe in something and being the messenger of a devout priest. It also shows corruption in the catholic church which is always interesting to watch unfold.

If a woman can do it better, then by all means let her

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2007, 02:46:14 PM »
Dark City!

Yeah, and Equilibrium had a few nice things, but Dark City! That was GOOD.
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.

Online Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2007, 07:43:44 PM »
Haven't seen Gamora/bloodbeast yet and I would disagree with Daredevil, but the rest are fun watches for me!

I have a couple submissions based off of Equilibrium that are still in the "pencil on a scrap paper" stage but just waiting for the creative muse to strike me.

I got in "Pi" tonight, will see what that is all about.

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Online Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: April 04, 2007, 06:30:41 PM »
The Red Violin
Liked it more for it's concentration on the violin than the rest. The sex scenes made it annoying to watch with our 6 year old that does play the violin, but there was good music, pretty decent plot, and overall a good movie.

Flyboys
I liked it, plain and simple. That is my favorite era of acft so I am partial to it in the first place. In air action was lots of fun, was very curious about the shooting down of the blimp which was a fun sequence. I like airplanes. Anybody know a good flight simulator with that era acft? I would love to give it a shot. I have no interest in the jet fighters but enjoy WWII prop acft too.

Level 3

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Systems Guild Gold Creator 10 Elite Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2007, 02:40:37 AM »
V for Vendetta
Hugo's monologs border on brilliant in this somewhat plausible dystopian future. Remember, remember the fifth of November...  Good enough that after returning it to the video store I purchased it from the previously viewed movies bin. 5/5 + HOH

Serenity
Another purchase from said bin, a great romp through space with an engaging cast of characters, something that seems to be a Whedon staple. The comglomeration of post Civil war era themes and space cowboys plays out quite nicely. I can very much sympathize for the browncoats and not just because it is the 'cool' thing to do. I was born and grew up in the south, the side that did loose the civil war. I can associate with people living from paycheck to paycheck, and keeping their ship together as best they can. Good movie but about half way through the extras features I realized that despite being a good screenwriter I just want Joss Whedon to shut up. 4.25/5 + HOH

Silent Hill
Hey! Isn't that Boromir looking for his wife? I liked this movie, it wasnt great but I also gave up on the game after about 15 minutes of pointlessly running around in the fog. 3.5/5

The Skulls
Great movie for secret society mischief and mayhem. Secret rules, rites, special laws and such, good stuff. I've seen the sequel and it isn't worth the DVD they print it on. The first is a solid 4/5

Neon Genesis Evangelion: End of Evangelion
in coherent noises, aping gestures of Eva's in combat with angels, Shinji...little wuss! Asuka...crazy rawr berzerker mode...Central dogma...sync rate is 1.0 and rising!!! N2 Mines deployed, only 50 seconds until full stop....

Offline dark_dragon

• Strolenati
  • Lord
  • Awards 2011 Sub of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2007, 04:50:54 AM »
John Carpenter's The Thing-That movie is Good! the effects are fantastic, even today... but mainly, the feeling of tension and paranoia you get is what makes this emminantly re-watchable. (although the plot/ plot devices are unbelievable: the wire and blood test...ok, cool, but so unrealistic.)4.75/5

Brick-This indie movie is smashing! incorporates everything you like about noir detective stories in a novel setting, with a decidedly new twist on the genre. The cast is perhaps a bit young to pull off the kind of mood you want in that kind of movie, but their acting is unlikely to be at fault. Great movie, would recommend watching it to anybody (especially for only £4-7$). 4.75/5
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."-Philip K. Dick

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2007, 04:17:37 PM »
I finally got around to watching a couple of movies on my list of stuff I've been ordered to see.

Halloween - Um.  I don't know how I feel about this.  I don't mind slasher flicks, and I think the way they did a lot of scenes from Michael's perspective was brilliant.  The music was awesome, as well.  But I didn't really like any of the characters except Michael; in fact I thought most of them were incredibly stupid and annoying.  The reasoning behind what Michael was doing was vague at best.  It was an okay movie, but there are a lot of others in the same genre that are so much better.  I've seen it once, but I probably won't bother to watch it again.

Fight Club - I'm not sure about this one either.  I thought it was a neat concept, and it raised some interesting questions.  Plus some of the visuals were really nifty.  But it was almost too disjointed, and there were times I felt like they were going for shock factor just to have shock factor.  I can't quite decide if I like it or not.

Online Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #90 on: April 06, 2007, 07:23:29 AM »
I idolize the movie Fight Club.

Number one rule of this site: You don't talk bad about fight club.
The second rule of this site is: You don't talk bad about fight club.

Level 3

Online Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: April 10, 2007, 08:14:52 PM »
Brotherhood of the Wolf
Must say I really liked it. It is a French flick and pretty cool. Starts off as a sort of mystery of people saying a beast is killing off peasants. Moves with clues towards a more human answer to the deaths, skirts the supernatural, you see the beast, finally sort of explains it but not really at the end which is cool. Has religion, cults, kings, a sweet ass Indian from the Americas, blood, battle scenes, nudity, psychics, and an interesting villian.

Level 3

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Item Guild Lifeforms Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Elite Item Guild
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: April 10, 2007, 08:19:54 PM »
...and Monica Bellucci

and yes, the movie ROCKED!!!!
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Triumph of the Dungeon Master!

Ah, how I have come to love that sense of accomplishment and victory that I get when I pull the wool over the eyes of a clever player character. What DM Triumphs have you had?

Some of mine:
1. Finally killing an incredibly powerful, lucky, annoying player's character.
2. Finally achieving a TPK (Total Party Kill)
3. Finally achieving a TPK using only traps
4. Finally working out how to make it so that d**n wizard doesn't steal the spotlight all the d**n time.

-Captain Penguin

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: April 10, 2007, 09:07:38 PM »
It was an okay movie, although it is definitely not what one is used to.  And I don't know if I liked how it ended.  But it wasn't bad.

Offline Wulfhere

• Intimidator of Insolent Upstarts
  • Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: April 10, 2007, 09:38:46 PM »
Brotherhood of the Wolf wasn't what I expected, to say the least.  I didn't care for it much.  My impression was that the protagonists seemed determined to find the beast, even if they had to search every brothel in the district.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 01:27:44 AM by Wulfhere »
"Nothing real can defeat us:  Nothing unreal exists."
- Buckaroo Banzai

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #95 on: April 11, 2007, 03:25:15 AM »
As I have stated earlier on this site I love most films in which Belluci/Cassel are starring. The brotherhood of the wolf had its ups and downs, but the novelty of the film was rejuvenating.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Online Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #96 on: April 12, 2007, 08:58:14 PM »
You can't convince me otherwise, I thought it was a sweetass movie. I especially liked the noncomformity and unusualness of it. I seemed to enjoy everything that has been mentioned. Guess my mom is right, I am whacked.

Spartacus
Whip me if you will, but I watched it for the first time from the beginning to end over three days and finally finished it tonight. I have seen many parts over the years but never saw the entire thing. It is AWESOME. My favorite character was the original owner of the gladiator ring that stays with us through the whole movie and took the wife at the end. He fascinated me for some reason. Definitely a keeper!

Level 3

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #97 on: April 12, 2007, 09:46:14 PM »
Guess my mom is right, I am whacked.

Yes, we knew that.   :P

Batman Begins - Oh.  My.  God.  How did I not watch this until now?  I'm a huge Batman fan, and I still hadn't watched this yet.  It made me very happy, for various and assorted reasons (Ra's al Ghul, the Scarecrow, Fox, etc).  Batman movies had gone slightly downhill for the last couple (whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy did they cast Clooney as Batman?!), but this one redeems the franchise.  And I think I'ma stop talking about it before it turns into a fangirl rant.

The Secret of NIMH - A classic.  If you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about, and if you haven't, what's wrong with you?

Dante's Peak - I don't know why I like this movie so much, but I put it on if I feel the need to watch a disaster movie.

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #98 on: April 13, 2007, 02:51:27 AM »
Batman Begins - Oh.  My.  God.  How did I not watch this until now?  I'm a huge Batman fan, and I still hadn't watched this yet.  It made me very happy, for various and assorted reasons (Ra's al Ghul, the Scarecrow, Fox, etc).  Batman movies had gone slightly downhill for the last couple (whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy did they cast Clooney as Batman?!), but this one redeems the franchise.  And I think I'ma stop talking about it before it turns into a fangirl rant.

I loved this movie. Why? Because it took the Batman franchise away from the blacklight and schtick-fiasco that the last two Batman movies were. With the exception of Uma Thurmon as Poison Ivy those movies had no redeming features. My demand? I want Harley Quinn to be in the next Batman movie!!!

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #99 on: April 13, 2007, 03:08:07 AM »
Yah!  Harley Quinn!  She's about the only one of the Rogue's Gallery they haven't done already, anyway...