llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: What DVDs/ Video are you watching  (Read 66990 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Elite Item Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
Re: What DVDs/ Video are you watching
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2007, 01:23:28 AM »
In no particular order-

Ghostbusters 1&2 - I've been watching this increasingly.  I have a probably unhealthy fascination with it; I can and have watch it over and over again in the course of a single day.

The second season of Fraggle Rock - This supports my theory that kid's entertainment has gone downhill; I don't think there's ever been anything as good as the stuff that came out of the eighties.

Clue - I love this movie so very, very much.

H.P. Lovecraft's Dagon - Really, it's The Shadow Over Innsmouth, but that's okay.  Really good, for a film adaptation of Lovecraft.  (That means that there's an unneccessary sexual element added in to make it socially acceptable, but reasonably accurate otherwise.)  I actually really like the way they did the Deep Ones.

The Pit and the Pendulum - I was on a Vincent Price kick, it was fun.

The House on Haunted Hill - ditto

The Bat - ditto, and is almost unique in being a fifties-era horror movie with a strong female lead who was not useless, and was, in fact, very cool and rather snarky.

Hatari! - Kind of an odd John Wayne movie.  Focuses on big game hunters in Africa who capture animals for zoos.  The Charge of the Baby Elephants alone makes it worthwhile.

Mirrormask - This proves that there is nothing the Jim Henson Co. can be involved in that is not good.  Putting them and Neil Gaiman together... wow.

The Last Unicorn - Such an old movie, the backgrounds have grain.  But it's sooo good, and I wish I could find the soundtrack.
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Systems Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10 Elite Questor
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2007, 03:20:51 AM »
I've got it

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Wulfhere

• Intimidator of Insolent Upstarts
  • Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 NPC Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2007, 10:48:49 AM »
Why does everyone assume a fantasy film needs to have psuedo medieval recorder and lute music as its sound track?

Does everything fantasy have to be pigeonholed?
Actually, I vastly prefer pseudo-Wagnerian orchestral compostions as background music in my fantasy films.  While medieval music has it's virtues, it fails to work as backround music.  I may be predictable, but I know what I like.

Of course, since the hacks that rule Hollywood wouldn't know good medieval music if you hit them with a set of Flemish pipes, any hope of music that is both "medieval" and "good" is slim.

"Nothing real can defeat us:  Nothing unreal exists."
- Buckaroo Banzai

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Elite Item Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2007, 05:34:06 PM »
I've got it

The Last Unicorn Soundtrack?  Really?  Where did you find it?

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Systems Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10 Elite Questor
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2007, 10:25:38 PM »
Napster, about 8 years ago. The soundtrack was done exclusively, or almost exclusively by a band called Orange Dream.

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
  • Awards 2012 Society of the Year Elite Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2007, 10:44:10 PM »
I just watched Mission Impossible III (or is it 3?).  It was basically the same thing as MI:2 - plenty of action, a few witty quotes here and there, completely unbelievable storyline.  I'm usually willing to suspend disbelief at even the most ridiculous of plots, but this one was just too hard to swallow.  Didn't help that it became unnecessarily political.  Tom's acting skills are waning.  He should stick to channelling Xenu.
Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 2
Cartography Guild Minor Minion
Acolyte of the Divine Synod, Merchant of Divine Wealth
STR: 4 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 4

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2007, 01:15:54 AM »
(On soundtrack) I thought it was done by the band America... that's what the cover says, anyway.

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Item Guild Elite Plot Guild Elite Systems Guild
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2007, 01:29:59 PM »
Watched Deliverance (1972) - "Squeal like a pig! Honk like a hog!"
It was decent. Rarely do that old movies stay good, but the storytelling of some of the old ones are so good, they keep on shining long after they were filmed.

Then "Howl's Moving Castle". I loved it! It is recommended!
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Questor Locations Guild Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2007, 07:30:40 PM »
Family brought Deliverance with them when they came last time. They never saw it all the way through and everybody quotes the pig and the banjos so they had to see it. They liked it.

We have been watching the TV series "Lost" lately.

First season was good. Took a little to get into it and then kept us entertained. Second season basically sucks though. The characters are getting a little one-dimensional with their same way of acting during every situation it seems. Takes away a lot when you can predict character's reactions...for the most part anyway.

Watched another series a few months ago, "Freaks and Geeks." Another series that lasted only one season. If you want to relive all the pain and embarassment of High School, this is a good one for you. We liked it a lot. A lot of cringing watching them do some of the typical High School things.

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Item Guild Elite Plot Guild Elite Systems Guild
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2007, 04:34:27 PM »
After watching Howl's Moving Castle I decided to watch Spirited Away!

Two thumbs up!
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2007, 06:25:05 AM »
Seen "Rome", the first season of a TV series an HBO and BBC production, and the production definitely stands out. It was the express desire of the creators to create an authentic Rome with the lifestyle and darn, they did it pretty well! There's plenty of interesting characters and intrigue, and the history is pretty solid (the deviations are well documented, if you want to know them).

Overall, it is a very good series. (Friendly warning on some 'mature content' though, this is no history for kids.)
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2007, 04:02:27 PM »
I've wasted way too much time on movies and stuff recently. Here are some of them:

Yojimbo from Akira Kurosawa - I can see now why is it called a classic. Too bad I have seen Last Man Standing before (a very close remake), the story held little surprise for me. Still very enjoyable, though.

Conan the Barbarian - finally in the original. Used to the German dubbed version, I was was a little disappointed by the voices. Still okay, Arnie makes the barbarian believable (really! :) ), Thulsa Doom should get his own fanclub, and the music is just the right amount of epic. One hilarious detail that I learned from the docu: the vulture Conan/Arnie has bitten at one moment was a genuine one, dead from unknown causes. No comment.

The Life of David Gale - I knew what the plot was about, and it still annoyed me at the end. People killing to prove killing is wrong drives up my Arrrggghhh way too much. Enough said.

Der Himmel Uber Berlin - now here is a great old cinematic piece. Go see it, you'll like it.

Garden State - it seemed to suck at the beginning, but eventually got better as Natalie Portman showed up. Turned out quite good.

God of Cookery - am not sure if I want see more from the author. Had some funny and bizzare moments, but sometimes it was too much.

Pan's Labyrinth - this is actually good fantasy! It has definite fairy-tales qualities (not those for kids though, it is quite dark), but is strongly rooted in reality. It had some predictable things, but I repeat: it is good (and recent) fantasy. Give it a try.

Perfume, the story of a murderer - it reminded me of one of my items, and I wasn't happy. Go watch if you need a serial killer for the Victorian period, or an alternative insight into the times. The exploration of the sense of smell might be even used for some rpg stuff. Or steal the whole plot.

Predator - seen already a few times, and may see it someday again. It's not that great, just gets you thinking of the ways particular races of aliens may develop. In a spacey setting, you really should have such a race available.

The Pursuit of Happyness - I've learned from the net that they concentrated the suffering of the main character into a short time period, and it was in fact ridiculous in places. However, if you like stories where a nobody becomes a somebody with hard work and against all odds, there you have one. Will Smith does it well.
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.

Offline Andimia

• The last person picked for kickball
  • Lord
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
    • Andimia.Deviantart.com
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2007, 04:55:08 PM »
recently (in the past two weeks) watched:

Labyrinth - awesome movie, I watch it over and over
Family Guy volume 4 - Lois: "Paladins can't use the helm of disintegration!"
Point Break - Keanu Reeves and Patrick Swazey surfing and robbing banks. a whole lotta fun!
Kingpin - it's about an ex-bowling champion who loses his hand and tries to make a Mormon man into the next champion. it's a  weird movie
Pink Floyd's The Wall - eh, I've always liked this one, though i can't watch the part where Pink is shaving his chest.
V for Vendetta - yeah, I watch this movie a lot
The sound of Music - I've liked this movie since I was three years old. The most original love story of it's time. It's got nuns and Nazis and wicked little children.

If a woman can do it better, then by all means let her

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Locations Guild Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2007, 07:43:29 PM »
I like the quick lists.

Fahrenheit 451 - Stick with the book 2 stars
Killing Zoe - crazy french druggies rob a bank and kill most everyone and get killed themselves. The American lives. :) 3.5 stars.
The Usual Suspects - Saw it for the first time and loved it. Heist with a twist. 5
Sanjuro - Akira Kurosawa - Way better than Yojimbo wich I saw right before it. Hidden Fortress of course and The Seven Samurai is on the way. Love them all!
The Mouse That Roared - X small country attacks the US during a air raid drill and think they conquered it. Pretty darn fun. 4
 Lucky Slevin - This is my style of movie. Witty and interesting. 5

Only saw parts of Vendetta and it confused the hell out of me. Never got around to renting it. Same with Miami Vice which looked very stupid. Point Break is an old favorite. Bank robbery/heists are some of my favorites. Kingpin = YES!

Perfume sounds worth watching to me, if just for the atmosphere of it.

Level 3

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2007, 11:14:04 PM »
Recently only three

Ben 10 Season 1. Who says cartoons are for kids.

Ladyhawke: Classic

Riverworld: Not a bad job really.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2007, 07:36:08 AM »
Dagon - I don't know where the hell I got the idea to rent this "horror" film but UGH! Lovecraft and all that and it is always good to hear the IA Cthulhu chant but not worth it.

Level 3

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2007, 04:06:13 PM »
You might have gotten the idea from me, I posted something about it.  I like the movie, but I can also see why you might not want to spend the money to rent it.  I bought it used for a couple of bucks, so it wasn't a huge investment for me.

The Fog - The original, haven't seen the remake.  Such a good movie.
Dune - Also the original.  I love it so, and the sandworms are always awesome.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 04:11:29 PM by Ria Hawk »

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2007, 04:14:35 PM »
Eragon:
*Painful whimper*

This fantasy dragon-ryder movie was a joke. It is basically your "Young, white hero meets female voiced dragon and battles sinister and ugly foes" film. The acting was horrible, except that of Malkovich, which was clearly sarcastic :D, and, well, Jeremy Irons tried at least.

Still... I am a sucker for anything fantasy so it kept me somewhat amused for the duration. 2/5 flames.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2007, 04:30:21 PM »
I found it merely average fantasy fare. It is mildly entertaining. 

However, it is worse if you read the book. This movie falls under the category of "movies vaguely based upon the plots, using some of the same character names" category. 

I found the cinematorgraphy quite good and I did like the way they decided to the "non humans". That is to say, as humans with distinct looks. But the movie is your standard boring fantasy fare other than that.

MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Golden Creator 5
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2007, 04:35:12 PM »
hehe, we're all watching the same thing.

My nephew made us rent it over the weekend while we were baby sitting him. My one year old, who was watching with us, summed it up best however, when he said...."Ka-Ka"
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Triumph of the Dungeon Master!

Ah, how I have come to love that sense of accomplishment and victory that I get when I pull the wool over the eyes of a clever player character. What DM Triumphs have you had?

Some of mine:
1. Finally killing an incredibly powerful, lucky, annoying player's character.
2. Finally achieving a TPK (Total Party Kill)
3. Finally achieving a TPK using only traps
4. Finally working out how to make it so that d**n wizard doesn't steal the spotlight all the d**n time.

-Captain Penguin

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2007, 02:33:58 AM »
Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan
I laughed until I hurt and then I laughed some more. Cohen has absolutely huge balls to make a movie like this. Verry Niiice!

The Prestige
Great cast, good acting, Michael Caine is great in anything! Gotta love stage magic rivalries that involve massive inverted tesla coils.

Man of the Year
Appy rented it, haven't watched it.

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Golden Creator 5
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2007, 08:10:30 AM »
Borat was hysterical, I peed myself!
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Ah, how I have come to love that sense of accomplishment and victory that I get when I pull the wool over the eyes of a clever player character. What DM Triumphs have you had?

Some of mine:
4. Finally working out how to make it so that d**n wizard doesn't steal the spotlight all the d**n time.

-Captain Penguin

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2007, 02:17:47 PM »
Muro, I knew you were old, but don't tell me we have to start putting you in diapers. ;)
One can cure oneself of the not un- formation by memorizing this sentence: A not unblack dog was chasing a not unsmall rabbit across a not ungreen field.  Orwell

(13:23:49) (Chinchillas): See? You can write like an 4$$h013 when you're not writing like a pompous 4$$h013.

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2007, 02:21:03 PM »
Well, that Depends  (pa-rum-pum)

Authentic Strolenite™©®

Some of mine:

-Captain Penguin

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2007, 02:57:41 PM »
Primer
Ummm. errrrrr. I need to watch it a couple more times. I probably picked a bad time to watch it (2am) so I might not have been at the top of my game. But it is a very interesting, twisting movie that I am not sure I fully understood. It did make me immediately think of The Prestige with the premise of it all. Wierd. Watching again. I think I like it.

The Guardian
Yeah, well, it really didn't suck. I guess just chalk it up to your generic action/adventure/training type movie it was well worth the time spent watching it. Won't become a favorite though.

Man of the Year
I liked this one quite a bit actually. A pretty bold statement about politics that I entirely agree with. It is all an illusion of choice.

Level 3