llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: What DVDs/ Video are you watching  (Read 68999 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Systems Guild Elite Plot Guild Elite Item Guild Golden Creator
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
Re: What DVDs/ Video are you watching
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2006, 04:28:11 PM »
Been watching lots of DVDs lately... V for Vendetta was alright, though not as good as I hoped it would be.
Brokeback Mountain was decent (and a bit boring) though being a european I was unable to understand what all the fuss was about. Two queer cowboys, so what? We've had queer films for decades over here. I guess the controversy is stronger in the US.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Questor Locations Guild Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2006, 06:34:45 PM »
There are a lot of queers overseas, you are used to them. All of ours are isolated in San Francisco (right Moon?) so the rest of the US isn't used to it yet.

(I think that was horribly incorrect but the devil made me say it.)

I watched The Court Jester (1956). I actually *really* like it. Very witty and fun, family loved it too.

King Kong...eh? whatever.

Grandma's Boy. Pretty stupid but for some reason I kept laughing. Old School and Road Trip and still tops in that area of comedy as far as I am concerned.

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Cephalopod
  • Awards 2012 Society of the Year Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2006, 08:26:47 PM »
I finally got around to watching Serenity tonight.  It was real good until the end, where I became pissed off.
Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 2
Cartography Guild Minor Minion
Acolyte of the Divine Synod, Merchant of Divine Wealth
STR: 4 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 4

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Systems Guild Gold Creator 10 Elite Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2006, 10:27:31 PM »
Underworld: Evolution
I have to say any movie with Kate Beckinsdale in skin tight leather is  :up: in my book. The story was a bit strange, but I did like the werewolf, sorry, Lycan-vampire hybrids. It is worth watching for Markus as a truely sadistic monster that knows how to use extra appendages. The nervous old priest from The Fifth Element plays a signifigant role and does a good job as coming across as being rather callous and self righteous. FX were good, but the storyline and writing itself could have used a little work.

UltraViolet
Milla Jovovish, I worship you. That is the only reason I rented this over the top FX smash fest. The technology presented is wild, with dimension containers and 'gravity levelers' that look like miniature suns held in brass rings. Pretty neat watching helicopters chase a motorcycle up the side of a building. It in many ways is a strange fusion of Aeon Flux and the Matrix, plus it has Vampires. Yay!

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Rei

• ~Cursed Demi-God~
  • Master
  • "Death to all sinners"
    • My happy gallery xD
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2006, 06:40:34 AM »
OMG!! I never knew silent hill was a logical movie!!
"Mostly... Mothers have the best mood destroying ability"

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Systems Guild Elite Plot Guild Elite Item Guild Golden Creator
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2006, 02:45:44 PM »
As a daddy I never get to see stuff on the big screen so yesterday I rented Jarhead and watched it. It was one of those war critic films... Well, I guess they mirror the true nature of war well enough, but... but... Y'know... I used to LOVE the Guns of Navarone and all those heroic-schemeroic films.

I want me a dumb, intelligent movie about the heroes of war, cuz I already know that war is bad. I also know that Desert Storm was strange. Send me some good stuff and nevermind all these cry me a river films!
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite Item Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2006, 04:49:41 PM »
Lessee...

Big Fish - Finally got around to watching it.  Really sweet, in that slightly creepy Tim Burton way.  One of those movies where you're never really sure what's real and what's fiction.

Nightmare Before Christmas - Nuff said.

Blood Dolls - Kind of a cheesy movie.  Supposed to be horror, but it's too silly to really be scary.  Mostly, I watched it because of my love of all things Full Moon Studios.  If you've seen Puppet Master, same general thing.

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari - You have no idea how hard it was for me to find this movie.  It's an old German silent film, horror.  Black and white, dialog that you have to read, but still genuinely creepy.  The set designer seems to have been on acid, or had an obsession with the expressionist movement, one of the two; and the director was slightly touched himself. 

Murder by Death - A Neil Simon script, parodying the great detectives of fiction and movies - Charlie Chan, Sam Spade, Miss Marple, Hercule Poirot, and Nick and Nora Charles.  Total insanity and hilarious.
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline krome

• Apprentice
    • http://barelytzu.blogspot.com
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2006, 11:08:13 PM »
"The Squid and the Whale" - I don't know what do say about this one other than "dark humorous realism".  Then again, what about realism isn't dark?

"Rome", the HBO series.  Meh, not bad.

I, too, just watched Underword: Evolution.  Good god, what a disaster.  I turned it off half-way through.  Or rather, let it play as the background music for soup-making. 

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2006, 02:30:01 PM »
Just watched "Tristan" and "Running Scared".

I enjoyed both though I admit that I expected Tristan to be a flop profiteering on the recent LotR / PotC / Harry Potter wave.
I loved the theme guitar music of Running Scared.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2006, 10:05:27 AM »
My current project is "Dr Who, Season I".  This is the new series available on SciFi (currently on season 2).  I like it a great deal.  It seemed originally to break with the old continuity, a restart to use the comics phrase. However, it is following up with some contact to the older series.

V for Vigillante - Interesting, but not nearly as such as I expected.

MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Questor Locations Guild Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2006, 11:40:10 AM »
Been trying to go through "The Sopranos" series as I get them through netflix. Usually have those in while doing anynumber of other things that have been eating my life. ;)

Got in "The Island" yesterday. Didn't have high expectations but it turned out to be pretty interesting. The futuristic first part was pretty interesting and had you wondering what was going on and then the second half laid it out for you immediately and turned into an action movie from there on. Definately worth watching. I enjoyed "Aeon Flux" which paralleled the ideas somewhat just as much. They both made me think of "Soylent Green" though which I really liked.

"Soylent Green *is* people!"

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Andimia

• The last person picked for kickball
  • Lord
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
    • Andimia.Deviantart.com
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2006, 12:49:06 AM »
I recently watched the ORIGIONAL king kong movie
Star Trek: Wrath of Kahn "KAAAHHN!!"
Monty Python: and now for something completely different "My hovercraft is full of eels"
Monty Python: The Life of Brian "Allwright, Wewease Woger!"
V for Vendetta, I really enjoyed it but then again i'm one of those liberal extremists

The Devil Wears Prada
my mom wanted me to watch this. was dredful to sit through. If i wanted to sit around and watch shallow people whine about their pathetic lives i'd go back to highschool. DO NOT WATCH FOR IRREPERABLE BRAIN DAMAGE WILL OCCUR!!

Domino
Kiera Knightly over-acting again and guess what, she used the same accent she uses in every movie she's in (what a shocker!) though it was nice to see a bad-girl bounty hunter film this was tragically lacking in all things cool.

Havoc
Anne Hathaway's sluttiest performance yet about a suburban white girl who's friends all think they're ghetto. she gets bored of being a poser and tries to join a real gang in the inner city. STUPID STUPID MOVIE. DO NOT WATCH FOR IRREPERABLE BRAIN DAMAGE WILL OCCUR!! *twitch*

X-Men 3: the last stand
I just... I don't get the ending and there was very little of rogue in the movie wich sucked. Terrible ending to what should have been an awsome trilogy

If a woman can do it better, then by all means let her

Offline valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Elite NPC Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Locations Guild Elite Lifeforms Guild Elite Golden Creator Master Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2006, 12:23:13 PM »
As a daddy I never get to see stuff on the big screen so yesterday I rented Jarhead and watched it. It was one of those war critic films... Well, I guess they mirror the true nature of war well enough, but... but... Y'know... I used to LOVE the Guns of Navarone and all those heroic-schemeroic films.

I want me a dumb, intelligent movie about the heroes of war, cuz I already know that war is bad. I also know that Desert Storm was strange. Send me some good stuff and nevermind all these cry me a river films!

You mean like that that piece of donky doo "The Thin Red Line"?  Holy smokes was that aweful.

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2006, 04:39:11 PM »
I just... I don't get the ending and there was very little of rogue in the movie wich sucked. Terrible ending to what should have been an awsome trilogy

Trilogy? Poor deluded fool.  It is a series.  They are working on X4  And they have a Wolverine movie (prequel or the Wolverine in Japan saga) in development.

MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Andimia

• Lord
    • Andimia.Deviantart.com
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2006, 03:47:18 AM »

Trilogy? Poor deluded fool.  It is a series.  They are working on X4  And they have a Wolverine movie (prequel or the Wolverine in Japan saga) in development.

I said "should have been an awsome trilogy" as I am a firm believer that three is enough. wait ten years before you make more and if you MUST make more then three movies just make it into a tv show or a mini series. Unless you're Jurassic park, then you stop at one.
I never said it *was* a trilogy as I know there's still more on the way. I *am* an IMDB junkie :p
IMDB (internet movie data base) Wolverine & the X-men

Offline Andimia

• Lord
    • Andimia.Deviantart.com
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2006, 10:14:40 AM »
recently watched:
Unleashed - not as much action as i thought would be in it. the relationship between Jet Li and the girl was wierd, it was like a brother/sister thing that kept boarderlining "I want to pin you down and make out with you." wich was slightly disturbing. the premise of training humans was very interesting though.
Nacho Libre - I have heard a lot of people say this movie sucked, i myself enjoyed it. the movie is not ment to be good, it's like the ugly girl at school with the inner beauty type of thing. It about a person dedicated to being good and great at the same time and puts a different twist on the whole, somebody makes a lot of cash, loses sight of what is important and buys expensive clothing and then realizes what is truly important in life.
High Plains Drifter - classic clint eastwood cowboy movie, still don't understand how he dosen't get shot in the bath tub.
West Side Story - any foul words said about this movie will cause the movie gods to smite you down.
Last Man Standing - bruce willis playing both sides in a gang war in this dusty little town of Jericho. His character is well thought out, has motivation in life (money) has a weakness/tragic flaw and is intelligent. some parts of the movie are confusing but i was half asleep so i missed some parts.
Over the Hedge - they really need to stop making cg movies with nothing but talking animals, seriously, the idea is worn out, stop beating the talking dead horse already. it was cute in a disney way but it's all been done before by the same company, with the same look to all the animals. There was a time when disney films centered around a human, and not animals who think they're human. I'd like to see a sci-fi or fantasy based cg kids film. lets get out of the today environment, go back in time or forward, the present is old. lets stick some castles or spaceships in thes movies, lets properly educate our children.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite Item Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2006, 12:50:00 AM »
Yeah, there's something seriously wrong with me.

Session 9 - Fairly creepy movie, about a somewhat haunted abandoned asylum.  Pretty messed up.

Saw - Good if you like gruesome horror and psychological torture (well, and physical torture too), which... I do, so yeah, I liked it.

The Omen - Evil children!  Whee!  Evil children and hell hounds and demon nannies!  A classic, if you're into horror.

The Devil's Backbone - An early Guillarmo del Torro movie, which, of course, means it's excellent.  In Spanish, with subtitles.  It's set in an orphanage during the Spanish Civil War, and involves hidden treasure, ghosts, and a madman with a shotgun. 

Ninja Turtles - The movies and the original animated series (Blockbuster is my friend).  I can't help it, I like it.  Although the animated series is very childish.

The Last Unicorn - I finally found a copy of this on DVD.  *does happy dance*  It's theoretically a children's movie, but it's a very good fantasy, and has some pretty mature themes.

Care Bears the Movie - I like kiddie movies, I can't help it.  And this was one of the best movies of the series.

Keep in mind, I watched all of these in the same week and a half, often following horror with kiddie movies, or the other way round. 

Something seriously wrong with me.

Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Golden Creator 5
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2006, 12:58:46 AM »
The Devil's Backbone was sublime!!!!!
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Triumph of the Dungeon Master!

Ah, how I have come to love that sense of accomplishment and victory that I get when I pull the wool over the eyes of a clever player character. What DM Triumphs have you had?

Some of mine:
1. Finally killing an incredibly powerful, lucky, annoying player's character.
2. Finally achieving a TPK (Total Party Kill)
3. Finally achieving a TPK using only traps
4. Finally working out how to make it so that d**n wizard doesn't steal the spotlight all the d**n time.

-Captain Penguin

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Systems Guild Gold Creator 10 Elite Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2006, 12:07:46 AM »
Transformers: The Movie - 20th anniversary edition, thank god i can watch it on DVD now, my VHS tape is about dead, and there is lots of static and white noise on the screen when Unicron is eating the first planet.

Neon Genesis Evangelion - the series and the Movie...wow...it's just wow. I love the characters and the way things play out is like a car crash, you can't stop watching no matter how bad it gets for the characters.

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2006, 01:42:31 AM »
The Jack of All Trades: Volume I and II

God I love Netflix.  This is the perfect saturday afternoon fare. Admusing and mindless, but with occasional high points. And did I mention Bruce Campbell? Now set your tongue in your cheek and.,.... sing with me...

"In 1801, the Revolution had been won, and Uncle Sam's favorite son, had a job that needed done.

Which brought Jack to a lady, both beautiful and smart. Who found his mix intriguing, a scoundrel with a heart!

From the Halls of Montezuma, to the shores of Tripoli There was never a leatherneck braver, a daring dragoon is he! He'll halt the bold advance of Napoleon's attack There ain't a French or Pirate rogue Who Don't Know Jack!

From the Halls of Montezuma to the shores of Tripoli Sailin' 'round the bloody world to defend democracy. And if ya' think a better man ya'd trust ta watch yer' back, just ask the bloke right next ta ya' (d**n right!) It's Jack!"

These...enthusiastic lyrics (accompanied by dancing soldiers and bar patrons including a dancing solo by a peglegged bar patrons and a talking parrot) kicked off each episode of Jack of All Trades . It sort of sets the tone.

American spy Jack Stiles is sent by Thomas Jefferson to the tiny East Indies island of Palau-Palau where he teams up with British agent and inventor Emilia Rothschild to thwart the efforts of Napoleon and France in that region of the world. While acting as Emilia's man-servant, Jack dons the masked garb of the legendary Daring Dragoon and fights the local French Governor as well as thwarting various other schemes against America.

This series starring cult-favorite Bruce Campbell and produced by Sam Raimi combined various factors from both of their series: the use of a historical setting (sorta) and quirky humor that Raimi had made famous with Hercules and Xena, a mix of The Wild Wild West Jules Verne-style tech that was used in Campbell's The Adventures of Brisco County Jr., and the wild stunts that were seen in all of these shows. Airing back to back in syndication with another Raimi production, Cleopatra 2525, Jack... lasted two years.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2007, 02:21:37 AM »
Seen lots of movies, actually. Whole series even, oh what a mass time I have spent on that. Now only one:

Lady in the Water (2006)

An M. Night Shyamalan movie, it needs to be said. It has some bads, but if you are willing to ignore them, you will get a pretty dose of atmosphere in return. Also comes with a neat evil creature, and fantasy in the modern world is always a plus.
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2007, 06:42:28 AM »
Seen that movie too. Average-ish if you ask me. Night Shyamalan has a decent imagination and all. He made me like the movie somewhat, which is astounding considering the plot.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2007, 11:02:50 PM »
Ladyhawke for the seventh time.  Still one of the best fantasy films made. Of course, the field of good fantasy films is not that crowded, but still.

MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Wulfhere

• Intimidator of Insolent Upstarts
  • Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 NPC Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2007, 07:43:02 PM »
I've always liked Ladyhawke, but the music.... What were they thinking?  It's got to be some of the most inapproriate movie music I've ever heard.

The armor's goofy, too, but the starring actors were so good, I forgave the filmmakers that one.
"Nothing real can defeat us:  Nothing unreal exists."
- Buckaroo Banzai

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2007, 01:02:41 AM »
Why does everyone assume a fantasy film needs to have psuedo medieval recorder and lute music as its sound track?

Does everything fantasy have to be pigeonholed?
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©