llamaenterhear

Author Topic: What books do you read?  (Read 115876 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Chaosmark

• Harbringer of Segfaults
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Master Questor Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • The Sleepless Hacker
    • Awards
Re: What books do you read?
« Reply #325 on: June 07, 2014, 09:42:37 AM »
Bujold's Barrayar series. Also known as the Vorkosigan saga. There's enough there to keep you reading for a while, if you end up liking it. I myself tried the first book and immediately got hooked. My next week was spent almost completely entranced reading the whole series. There is your friendly warning.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 11:17:36 AM by Chaosmark »
P(A|B) = P(B|A)*P(A)/P(B)

By the power of Bayes!

Acolyte Lithil Darkheart – Level 1 Necromancer
STR: 1 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 3

Current guild quest: --

Offline Kassy

• Iron Priestess
  • Grand Master
  • "No power in the 'Verse"
  • Awards Hall of Heroes Item Guild 2012 Most Votes of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #326 on: June 14, 2014, 06:29:27 AM »
@Tianakki: thank you for mentioning the Dresden Files in an earlier post, I've started reading them again, finished Storm Front last night and - if the library stock them - will read the next 2 over the weekend.

Dresden Files aside, I'm still reading The Seven Basic Plots by Christopher Booker. I have to put it down quite a lot. It's just not possible to read more than a section or two in the same sitting.

Kassandra Quilldancer
STR: 3 | END: 3 | CON: 2 | DEX: 3| CHA: 2 | INT: 2

Offline valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Golden Creator Master Questor Locations Guild Elite Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #327 on: June 17, 2014, 10:35:34 AM »
Got a DTF* book for Fathers Day. Game of thrones #5, A Dance with Dragons.  Haven't read a paper book in ages.

*Dead Tree Format

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Kassy

• Iron Priestess
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #328 on: July 15, 2014, 09:53:24 AM »
The Hobbit. I simply love Tolkien's works. I'll only read a book more than once if I've really enjoyed it. As with films, each time I read his books, something else jumps out at me that I didn't notice, or pay particular attention to the first, second and third time around.  :read:

I've also just been introduced to the Wild Card's series edited by George Martin (yep, that one), I read the collection titled 'Inside Straight'. Now I just need to get my hands on the first book, which seems illusive and which the library staff have mislabeled as Inside Straight  :huh:

Finally, I've also managed to read the Guns of Navarone by Alistair Maclean. After the third attempt. For whatever reason I wasn't able to get into it the first two times, but I'm glad I persevered.

Kassandra Quilldancer

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • Raconteur
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Item Guild Lifeforms Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Locations Guild Elite
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #329 on: September 12, 2014, 03:37:12 PM »
Murder as a Fine Art, by David Morrell--the guy who wrote First Blood (Rambo)

Fascinating Victorian gas-light historical fiction, featuring the controversial Thomas De Quincey. Couldn't put it down after reading the first paragraph. Finished in one night.

The Son, by Jo Nesbo

Not as mind-numbingly awesome as his Harry Hole series of books, but good.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Triumph of the Dungeon Master!

Ah, how I have come to love that sense of accomplishment and victory that I get when I pull the wool over the eyes of a clever player character. What DM Triumphs have you had?

Some of mine:
1. Finally killing an incredibly powerful, lucky, annoying player's character.
2. Finally achieving a TPK (Total Party Kill)
3. Finally achieving a TPK using only traps
4. Finally working out how to make it so that d**n wizard doesn't steal the spotlight all the d**n time.

-Captain Penguin

Offline Kassy

• Iron Priestess
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #330 on: September 27, 2014, 05:56:53 AM »
After a long wait, my local library managed to source a copy of Blood Rites by Jim Butcher, so I'm now reading that series again.

Still waiting on Aurian (Maggy Furey) and I'll be buying the Shadowrun 5th Ed core rules at some point this month too.

Kassandra Quilldancer

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #331 on: October 14, 2014, 02:52:28 PM »
Here's a bunch:

Iain M. Banks: The Algebraist - a departure from my favorite Culture series, a single book defines a cool universe of its own with a wonderfully cantankerous race of giant floating creatures that like to hunt their own children. Among other things. Also they are probably the oldest race around and they'll probably be here by the time yours is long forgotten.

Steven Campbell: Hard Luck Hank - the misadventures of a mutant mobster negotiator. It's easiest to talk sense into people when you are bulletproof.

Jim Bernheimer: Confessions of a D-List Supervillain - juvenile and fun. Points out very usefully why you have to be a billionaire before going Iron Man.

Andy Weir: The Martian - perfectly paced hard sci-fi that you'll swallow in one piece.

Brandon Sanderson: The Rithmatist - YA with a cool magic system
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.

Offline Tusserk

• Veldruk Jai
  • Adept
  • Slightly Besmackled
  • Awards Hall of Heroes
    • Awards
« Reply #332 on: October 14, 2014, 03:03:14 PM »
Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #333 on: October 20, 2014, 12:07:33 AM »
The Johannes Cabal books, by Jonathan Howard - Four wonderful books starring a necromancer on a quest to bring his dead love back to life while having outlandish adventures on the way.  Also includes larger than life antagonists (Satan, Nyarlethotep, the Pope), airships, better companions than the Doctor (a vampire, spies, Nyarlethotep, inquisitors, scholars, and aviatrixes), and last, but certainly not least, more humor than you can shake a frozen trout at!
For the love of meat, shut up! No one wants to hear your emo character background! My hands are literally melting away, and I'm complaining less than you!
—K'seliss, Goblins

Offline Moonlake

• Strolenati
  • Master
  • Awards Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Article Guild Elite Article Guild Item Guild Golden Creator
    • Moonlake's Fiction Space
    • Awards
« Reply #334 on: January 17, 2015, 03:13:30 AM »
Always like mystery alongside fantasy and I found two series by the following authors great in satisfying both of my tastes at once (sort of though they are more mystery oriented but they are set in more medieval times and part of why I love fantasy was that it brought me into a different society and culture than nowadays):
The Brother Cadfael series by Peter Ellis
The Sister Fidelma series by Peter Tremayne
Both series stars a medieval clergy main character solving mysteries.

I also picked up an urban fantasy series: The Thursday Next series. Not a serious read, just sth light and humorous.
Other funny read was Robert Aspirin's series of books starting with MYTH conceptions and each book in the series contains the term MYTH in their titles. It's set in normal fantasy world and the funny parts are really seeing modern things being injected into this world after the main char (incompetent wizard's apprentice) acquires a demon as a side-kick.

I read a book called the Enchanted (not sure abt author name but it was a female writer I'm sure and it's quite new) a couple months ago about what happens in a prison containing prisoners on death roll. I quite like it- it delves into darkness but presents it in a non-sentimental way. A bit out of scope of my normal range of fantasy and mystery but yeah, I recommend it for those who want to delve into other categories once in a while.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 05:40:09 PM by Moonlake »

Human (Level 2)
Crysilis Embroider -  Apprentice Weaver
Moonlake Ku - Apprentice Strolenati
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 4| CHA: 2 | INT: 3
"Crazy woman devoted to 2 Worlds, 2 Guilds and randomness"
Visiting beloved Dragon Empire

Offline Moonlake

• Strolenati
  • Master
  • Awards Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Article Guild Elite Article Guild Item Guild Golden Creator
    • Moonlake's Fiction Space
    • Awards
« Reply #335 on: May 10, 2015, 10:43:24 PM »
Just finished the Tower and Knife trilogy by Marzarkis Williams. Pretty solid writing, a good layered story and my first experience with the 'grim fantasy' niche.

Human (Level 2)
Crysilis Embroider -  Apprentice Weaver
Moonlake Ku - Apprentice Strolenati
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 4| CHA: 2 | INT: 3
"Crazy woman devoted to 2 Worlds, 2 Guilds and randomness"
Visiting beloved Dragon Empire

Offline Kassy

• Iron Priestess
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #336 on: May 11, 2015, 05:45:52 AM »
I've jumped back into reading heavily over the last month.

3 more Dresden Files novels, the last of which I finished was White Night. I love Jim Butcher's style!

I've also just started reading (maybe 70 odd pages in), Robert Jordan's Wheel of time series': Eye of the World. It seems to be much recommended and from what I've read so far I can see why! I usually expect epics like this to drag forever in the opening (like Game of Thrones did, or seemed to), but I'm into it straight away.

Kassandra Quilldancer

Offline Aramax

• Knight
  • Awards Hall of Heroes
    • Awards
« Reply #337 on: May 11, 2015, 08:12:09 AM »
I like dark fantasy but set in a fantasy world, am re-reading Songs of The Dying Earth a tribute to Jack Vances Dying Earth series, its a collection of short stories where the authers do there best to imitate Vance's style. Very good.

Next is Vironiconium(cant remember auther) A VERY dif take on fantasy tropes, anothe Dying Earth setting. Best alien invasion story EVER!The alien dont even know they are invading! I liked this so much I stopped reading it when I was 90% done so I could re-read it again and get some new material out of it(I do this from time to time w/ stuff I really like)

My favorite book is The Throne of Bone by Brian McNaughton, a dark fantasy take on ghouls.Beware there is some sick sexual stuff in there but the ghouls are so cool. Tip skip the first short story and read it last, I almost didnt read the rest of the book when I started with it,cant recomend highly enuf if you like your fantasy mixed w/ horror
Fighting for peace is like having sex for virginity

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Pescavore
  • Awards 2012 Society of the Year Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #338 on: May 11, 2015, 02:35:07 PM »
Just finished Jeff VanderMeer's The Southern Reach Trilogy: Annihilation, Authority, and Acceptance.

It's a fantastic, satisfying, and somewhat frustrating read. There's a very strong Lovecraftian horror vibe, crossed with spy intrigue and some other elements I can't put my finger on. The stories concern a mysterious Area X, some ecological catastrophe where expeditions are sent in but no one seems to come out, at least not as they once were. It's hard to talk much about the plot without giving a lot a way, but after having read the whole trilogy, there's parts the author doesn't give away. A lot of the book has to do with the impossible, things that lie completely beyond human comprehension, and leaving some - even a lot - of the mystery unsolved keeps that theme.

Suzod recommends! :cthulhu:
Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 2
Cartography Guild Minor Minion
Acolyte of the Divine Synod, Merchant of Divine Wealth
STR: 4 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 4

Offline Apocryphal

• Apprentice
  • Don't read this. DOH - Too late!
    • Awards
« Reply #339 on: May 14, 2015, 12:06:38 AM »
I'm in the middle of the *Southern Reach Trilogy* and struggling a little. Or maybe I should say the book is struggling to keep my attention. It seems to be exploring the same theme that Arkady & Boris Strugatsky's Roadside Picnic explores, only I feel the Strugatskys did it much more concisely and thought provokingly. If I had read this first I might feel different. Furthermore, my previous book was Christpher Pirest's The Islanders, which I really enjoyed. If you haven't heard of it, it's sort of like a cross between Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino and A Wizard of Earthsea.

@Aramax: Are you referring to In Viriconium by M. John Harrison? I haven't read it but did read The Pastel City (twice, and the second time with my book club) which I frankly thought was just awful. His work has been acclaimed by writers like Angela Carter, Neil Gaiman (who has called him "a Zen master of prose"), China Miéville, William Gibson and Clive Barker, who has referred to him as "a blazing original", Harlan Ellison and Iain M. Banks. But I just don't get it.The characters a flat, the world is flat, the plot is full of convenient coincidences, and the naming is atrocious.

Offline Aramax

• Knight
  • Awards Hall of Heroes
    • Awards
« Reply #340 on: May 14, 2015, 07:45:06 AM »
I'm in the middle of the *Southern Reach Trilogy* and struggling a little. Or maybe I should say the book is struggling to keep my attention. It seems to be exploring the same theme that Arkady & Boris Strugatsky's Roadside Picnic explores, only I feel the Strugatskys did it much more concisely and thought provokingly. If I had read this first I might feel different. Furthermore, my previous book was Christpher Pirest's The Islanders, which I really enjoyed. If you haven't heard of it, it's sort of like a cross between Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino and A Wizard of Earthsea.

@Aramax: Are you referring to In Viriconium by M. John Harrison? I haven't read it but did read The Pastel City (twice, and the second time with my book club) which I frankly thought was just awful. His work has been acclaimed by writers like Angela Carter, Neil Gaiman (who has called him "a Zen master of prose"), China Miéville, William Gibson and Clive Barker, who has referred to him as "a blazing original", Harlan Ellison and Iain M. Banks. But I just don't get it.The characters a flat, the world is flat, the plot is full of convenient coincidences, and the naming is atrocious.
I think we are talking about the same book.But I think mine is called just"Viricnium" and its fabulous!(a little confusing thou)A couple of the short srories are awaard winning. Its a hugly dif take on some common fantasy tropes(although it realy is Sci Fi)Monster invasion,Barbarian Horde,Knights and Monster hunting are all explored.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 08:11:01 AM by Aramax »
Fighting for peace is like having sex for virginity

Offline Apocryphal

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #341 on: May 14, 2015, 09:49:16 AM »
I think we are talking about the same book.But I think mine is called just"Viricnium" and its fabulous!(a little confusing thou)A couple of the short srories are awaard winning. Its a hugly dif take on some common fantasy tropes(although it realy is Sci Fi)Monster invasion,Barbarian Horde,Knights and Monster hunting are all explored.

According to Wikipedia there are three omnibus volumes:

A 1988 omnibus entitled Viriconium (Viriconium (1988 collection)) omits the first two novels; it consists of the third novel, In Viriconium, and the full contents of the short story collection Viriconium Nights. The stories in this omnibus are in the same running order as in the 1985 first edition. The omnibus has an introduction by Iain Banks.
All four works of the sequence were published in the U.K in a single omnibus volume called Viriconium in 2000. (Viriconium (2000 collection)). The stories are arranged in a different sequence (presumably chronological) which see the Viriconium Nights stories in a different running order than in the 1985 first edition and the 1988 omnibus. An American edition of all four was published in 2005, with an introduction[3] by Neil Gaiman. The novels are sequenced in publication order, but the short stories are in a different sequence. This edition was published in audio in late 2011 by Neil Gaiman Presents, read by Simon Vance.

Sounds like you have one of those. The later stuff was published more than 10 years after The Pastel City and the 1988 omnibus doesn't even contain TPC. Maybe he hit his stride after this work. ;-)

Offline Dozus

• the Windward
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Pescavore
  • Awards 2012 Society of the Year Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Society of the Year Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #342 on: May 14, 2015, 10:10:16 AM »
I haven't read Roadside Picnic, but based on the summary, there is some overlap. If you're still in Authority, I would encourage you to push through. Acceptance is interesting in bringing the various threads together. While Annihilation and Authority both take a single character's perspective (the biologist in 1st person and Control in 3rd person, respectively), Acceptance actually splits up the narrative between five points of view: Ghost Bird in 3rd person, Control in 3rd person, the lighthouse keeper in 3rd person, the biologist in 1st person, and (interestingly) the psychologist in 2nd person. The third book also jumps around in the timeline, making coinciding major plot points across time. I think of the three, Acceptance was the best-written.
Dozus the Windward
Swashbuckler
LEVEL 2
Cartography Guild Minor Minion
Acolyte of the Divine Synod, Merchant of Divine Wealth
STR: 4 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 3 | CHA: 3 | INT: 4

Offline Apocryphal

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #343 on: May 14, 2015, 05:28:44 PM »
If you're still in Authority, I would encourage you to push through.
Oh, I will. It will be easier when there are fewer distractions. And thanks for blanking out the spoiler! :-)

Offline Kassy

• Iron Priestess
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #344 on: May 27, 2015, 06:18:32 AM »
Finally I've finished the first Wheel of Time book, Robert Jordan is excellent! Why, oh why, have I only just started reading his books!?

I'm a little further forward with the Dresden Files, having just read Turn Coat and now waiting for Changes. This is a world I love dipping into, I can usually finish one of these in a matter of days.

Someone recently introduced me to David Eddings too, the book is called The Diamond Throne. I'm loving it already, full of humour.

Kassandra Quilldancer

Offline Ted

• Shattered
  • Journeyman
  • Awards Article Guild Plot Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2010 Item of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #345 on: May 28, 2015, 04:58:45 PM »
Finally I've finished the first Wheel of Time book, Robert Jordan is excellent! Why, oh why, have I only just started reading his books!?

I'm a little further forward with the Dresden Files, having just read Turn Coat and now waiting for Changes. This is a world I love dipping into, I can usually finish one of these in a matter of days.

Someone recently introduced me to David Eddings too, the book is called The Diamond Throne. I'm loving it already, full of humour.

David Eddings is amazing, and the Belgariad/Mallorean are well worth finding to read as well.

ALSO, READ DRESDEN FASTER SO WE CAN DISCUSS THE MAJOR SPOILERS. GAH.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. When one gazes into an abyss, he is gazed into by the abyss.-Friedrich Nietzsche.

Offline Kassy

• Iron Priestess
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #346 on: May 29, 2015, 07:09:34 AM »

David Eddings is amazing, and the Belgariad/Mallorean are well worth finding to read as well.

ALSO, READ DRESDEN FASTER SO WE CAN DISCUSS THE MAJOR SPOILERS. GAH.

I'm trying to find the other David Eddings books, but it's hit and miss, same thing with the Dresden Files. If I had the money, I'd buy them all myself. But as it is I have to content myself with the library :D

Kassandra Quilldancer