llamaenterhear

Author Topic: The Shannara Chronicles  (Read 281 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Scrasamax

• Redneck Hipster
  • Emperor
  • You say insane like it's a bad thing
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Systems Guild Elite Questor Gold Creator 10 Hall of Heroes 10
    • Coffee & Cthulhu
    • Awards
The Shannara Chronicles
« on: July 05, 2016, 11:52:42 PM »
So between house work, writing, and goofing off on the computer (rainy vacation day, ugh) I pulled up MTV's The Shannara Chronicles on Netflix. I was surprised to see it on there, and decided to watch it in the background. I have to say it surprised me quite a lot.

The costumes were quite good, and the ladies of the show looked nice, and pro/con it stayed PG.
The set building, and use of sets was also excellent, and looked strangely on par with feature films. There was CG backgrounds in places, but the graphic guys did a decent job of it, and I didn't hate it, and I hate CGI.
The monster design wasn't great, but it did a passable job.
The screenery was fantastic, most people tend to overlook that the series of books were post-apoc fantasy, and there are plenty of scenes where the characters are passing through the ruins of our world.
Casting was good, I found myself interested in the characters, and concerned about them. I read the books a loooong time ago and couldn't remember who lived, died, etc.
The make-up department hit it out of the park with their work. The elves were their own, not trying to ape Tolkien's shining elves. They were grundgy and unshaven, and not up for taking s**t off of anyone, certainly not humans.
The bad guys were bad, make-up was on point, and the use of sound and camera effects really conveyed that the Dag Modra wasn't just a baddie, but was a MAJOR baddie. Also, the bad guys used their own language, and it was subtitled. Bonus points for that.

I was quite floored by what a @!#$ing fantastic job MTV did producing an epic fantasy. It probably didn't hurt that Jon Favreau was helming itc. Manu Bennett simply kills the role of Allanon, but he has some legit film credits, including playing Azog in two of the Hobbit movies, Slade Wilson in Arrow, the Spartacus series, and even a one shot role on Xena, Warrior Princess. I'm impressed.

It has somewhat rekindled my interest in fantasy, and faith in the genre
" If the muse comes to your bedside, don’t tell her you’ll f?$! her later."- Allen Ginsberg

Offline Longspeak

• As Does the Spider, I Weave, Because I Must
  • Strolenati
  • Adept
  • Illegal to Remove this Tag
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 5 Golden Creator 2013 NPC of the Year
    • Awards
Re: The Shannara Chronicles
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 01:33:39 AM »
I've been watching with my wife. While I'm not quite as positive as you, we are enjoying it. I was actually really annoyed they made the post-apoc so blatant. Now, I read the first three books ages ago and none since then, but I remember that being a pretty big reveal late in the first book.

The dialog can get pretty bad, pulls me from the moment.

Agree about the monsters.

Agree about Allanon. Good actor to play him. Kept thinking the Elf King should threaten to kill all the elves with an Axe, though. :D

I was over the sexual tension between the cute young things the minute it started. Hamfisted handling of that.

But overall, still enjoying it. I've certainly seen worse TV and worse fantasy.

Offline Moonlake

• Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Article Guild Golden Creator Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Article Guild Item Guild
    • Moonlake's Fiction Space
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 07:27:35 PM »
Now they are really televising and movie-ising all these books. Read the books (the original series anyway) and must say that I'm not a real fan. Don't hate it but don't love it either, a bit lukewarm is how I call it. Anyway, a bit sidetrack to original post by Scras but feel like idle chat.

Human (Level 2)
Crysilis Embroider -  Apprentice Weaver
Moonlake Ku - Apprentice Strolenati
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 4| CHA: 2 | INT: 3
"Crazy woman devoted to 2 Worlds, 2 Guilds and randomness"
Visiting beloved Dragon Empire

Offline Scrasamax

• Redneck Hipster
  • Emperor
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Systems Guild Elite Questor Gold Creator 10 Hall of Heroes 10
    • Coffee & Cthulhu
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 07:31:37 PM »
It kinda made me happy because the big fantasy thing now,  Game of Thrones,  I can't particularly stand
" If the muse comes to your bedside, don’t tell her you’ll f?$! her later."- Allen Ginsberg

Offline Moonlake

• Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Article Guild Golden Creator Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Article Guild Item Guild
    • Moonlake's Fiction Space
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 08:07:50 PM »
I think adaption of books for TV/movies in the majority of cases always make the story lose flavour. Luckily, LoR movie (just LoR, not Hobbit) is passable for me but I still prefer the book though I'm aware that there are people who take the opposite view to me. So I can sympathise.

Personally, I haven't read GoT and don't intend to, same with Harry Potter. The former cos I remember Strolenati are divided on whether it's a good series or not (I vaguely remember a forum thread on GoT and someone said that he/she doesn't know the author manages to say nothing for like 10 Chaps or sth, or is this Robert Jordan and his ultra long series? I might have mixed up between the two) but mainly cos it's dark fantasy which is not my normal cup of tea. Don't like Harry Potter since saw movie of the first book and I don't really like the underlying world that reminds me of witchery (I'm an avid fan of fantasy but just happens to not like witchery) and plus I don't really like fantasy series pitched at younger audiences than full adults. I do read YA once in a while and there are one specific set of YA series that I like due to the underlying world and the set of protagonists in the starting series but that's it in terms of my appreciation of YA fantasy. HP is supposedly YA but the first movie felt like it could be for primary school kids so I felt like it's pitched at a level 'too young' for my taste. So never thought it it's worth my while to pick up the series in first place even though later I read sth about the series turning into for adult later on.

Human (Level 2)
Crysilis Embroider -  Apprentice Weaver
Moonlake Ku - Apprentice Strolenati
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 4| CHA: 2 | INT: 3
"Crazy woman devoted to 2 Worlds, 2 Guilds and randomness"
Visiting beloved Dragon Empire

Offline Longspeak

• As Does the Spider, I Weave, Because I Must
  • Strolenati
  • Adept
  • Illegal to Remove this Tag
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 5 Golden Creator 2013 NPC of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 05:07:49 PM »
It kinda made me happy because the big fantasy thing now,  Game of Thrones,  I can't particularly stand
We're on the same page here. Not a GoT fan at all (which is too bad because before George RR Martin starting typing incest fantasies with one hand, he wrote some amazing science fiction and created the Wild Cards series).

Back to Shannara, not done with the season yet, but I find myself increasingly annoyed at the emphasis on the post-apoc stuff. Now, it's been approximately 3 decades since I read The Sword (and The Elfstones and The Wishsong) of Shannara, so maybe I don't remember so well, but it's supposed to be... not post-apocalyptic, but fantasy built centuries after an apocalypse, with only the barest remnants. And at one point the elf king mentions it's been "hundreds of thousands of years." There should not be so much stuff laying around. It's annoying. It pulls me out of the moment.

It's all a bit too MTV for me. Still watching, but not loving. Liking, sorta.

Offline Scrasamax

• Redneck Hipster
  • Emperor
    • Coffee & Cthulhu
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 08:24:44 PM »
From watching Life After People, and eyeballing the wreckage of the apocalypse, it was somewhere between one to three centuries in the past. Some areas are much younger but I could argue isolation protecting them.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Dungeon Guild Article Guild Golden Creator Locations Guild Questor Systems Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 08:21:46 PM »
I actually find the TV show better than most of the books.  If you watched this independent of the book series, you would be happier.  If you read all the books, in my opinion, then you would see that the series is restarting... it only echos the some of the book series.  Still the series has a lot going for it. 

And yes, there is a pinterest board for this
https://www.pinterest.com/moonhunter88/fandom-shannara-chronicles/
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©