llamaenterhear

Author Topic: Serial Killers in A Traditional Fantasy RPG?  (Read 74 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Veretrix

• Apprentice
  • Where's the Mountain Dew!?
    • Awards
Serial Killers in A Traditional Fantasy RPG?
« on: August 08, 2015, 01:17:03 AM »
Hey everyone! I've been wondering lately how one could implement serial killers, psychopaths, etc. into a traditional fantasy RPG such as Pathfinder or D&D. I question whether it can be done because, unless the PCs are low level, a killer's dagger is barely going to scratch them. I wouldn't want to just give the murderer some Magic Murder McGuffin that gets the job done super easily, but I still want to have some sense of terror and fear and have the killer be a legitimate threat. Any thoughts/ideas are appreciated.

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Re: Serial Killers in A Traditional Fantasy RPG?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 08:15:57 PM »
I think you just described your players.

If the psychopath murderer is skilled then they will be able to use stealth, attack from behind, find the weak spot and get some mad multipliers. Look at GoT and all those sudden deaths by crossbow, dagger, arrows etc. I don't care what "level" you are. A skilled shot should be able to severely injure/kill anybody. As you mentioned you don't fully follow the rules. But make it consistent. Allow them some similar bonuses when they are attacking people so that when you do it to them you can justify it by when "you did it to xxxx and the same thing happened."

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline axlerowes

• Strolenati
  • Knight
  • Procrastination!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Awards Questor Plot Guild NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Item Guild 2012 Most Comments of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 11:49:45 PM »
In pathfinder there is the assassin prestige class  that can kill somebody instantly with proper prep.

Or maybe you serial killer sets traps like Jigsaw from the saw movies.  Point being just cause the PCs can wipe the floor with a character on a combat grid doesn't mean the character can't be a threat.

Online Linean

• Nomad
  • da big whiner
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 10:59:39 AM »
What comes to my mind is an ally close to PC's power who goes, for example, in the night to find a specific type to kill in a ritualistic way. Not for a ritual, just ritually, you know like a real serial killer. That killer NPC might be a good person and a real helper but can't stop his/her urges to kill let's say blonde women in their twenties and eat their hearts. So when PCs realise the truth they can decide what to do and if it is combat, the killer can be a challenge.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 11:34:21 AM by Linean »
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.

Offline Veretrix

• Apprentice
  • Where's the Mountain Dew!?
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 12:09:58 PM »
In pathfinder there is the assassin prestige class  that can kill somebody instantly with proper prep.

Or maybe you serial killer sets traps like Jigsaw from the saw movies.  Point being just cause the PCs can wipe the floor with a character on a combat grid doesn't mean the character can't be a threat.
I know the assassin class exists, but I guess I was wanting a killer without needing to make them an assassin and minimum level 6ish.
I do really like the idea of the serial killer using traps. I hadn't considered that angle. Perhaps he could even hold an important NPC hostage within a mansion full of semi-mundane traps, like falling chandeliers, animated suits of armor, secret passages/slides/pits.