llamaenterhear

Author Topic: another Newbie with 100 questions  (Read 1888 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline TaInT

• Nomad
    • Awards
another Newbie with 100 questions
« on: March 03, 2005, 03:22:33 PM »
im new to this, it looks cool, iv read some of the new guy threads but didnt quite get it, i understand its not a game 'n stuff, but could someone explain more please... thanks :D

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Item Guild Elite Plot Guild Elite Systems Guild Plot Guild
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 03:56:32 PM »
You have just entered "Strolen's Citadel".

This is a resource site for those of us who have the awesome hobby called roleplaying.

This hobby usually takes place at weekends, when a small gathering of people come to one of the players residence to partake of a evening of fun and imaginary adventures. The players and their "guide/storyteller" (often called GM/Gamemaster or DM/Dungeonmaster) collaborate to create a story, where the GM has all the background information and the players play different roles.

In the beginning this differs little (well, more than a little, but not that much) from boardgames like RISK or Monopoly, as the players view their characters as little else than bricks in a game, but after a while the game may take on theatrical dimensions (the players dedicate themselves to actually playing a role as opposed to living out their "munchkin" wet dreams and the GM try to create ever more amazing and cinematic game worlds) .

So if you are interested in the latter, this is definitely the site for you. Munchkinism (bad roleplaying focusing on "powergaming" (Diablo style levelling and magic item focus) is generally frowned upon here).

Please note that Computer Roleplaying games such as Diablo, Baldur's Gate, Final Fantasy, etc... are the computer equivalents of roleplaying. (Important criterias for landing a job in that industry (CRPG production) often involves having a thorough roleplaying experience. Indeed the Game Company behind Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights boast that most of their GMs have between 10-20 years experience, some even more.

This site features everything from novice roleplayers to such venerable GMs as MoonHunter (who would easily top the brag list of the formerly mentioned computer game company).

Welcome to Strolen's my friend.

Strolenite survival guide:
-Remember capitalization
-Remember proper grammar in general
-Remember not to lose your temper
-Remember to make an effort when you create a post. If you create some item or character that takes less than 15-45 minutes of work, you should probably not submit it at all.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Nosredna

• Knight
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 04:35:53 PM »
I am also kind of new to the Citadel but I keep my wits about me. They say a first impression is the only impression or something like that. You need to keep the survival guide Ancient Gamer gave you on your bedside table.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 06:23:58 PM »
Hey der', hi der', ho der'.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline TaInT

• Nomad
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 09:42:56 PM »
iv made my first item, SHEILD OF LIGHT, its not that good, but i still hope someone likes it. thanks for the help....

Offline Phoren

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2005, 03:37:45 AM »
Remember, spelling is king. Run things through a spellcheck first.

Offline Dragoon God

• Adept
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2005, 10:48:32 PM »
I know Ive only made one good character, but take my advice, dont take only 10 minutes on an item. That doesnt work, I've tried it and that ends up badly, learn from my mistakes. It pays off to be bored for 45 minutes and get a good rating first post.
"Impossible is just a word to make everyone feel better about giving up"- Dragoon God