llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Dice Talk  (Read 90181 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Kevin Cook

• Guardian
    • http://www.dicecollector.com
    • Awards
June 2007 Highlights
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2007, 03:11:38 PM »
If you are not interested in new or rare dice that were inventoried this month ... Ignore this post

Click on the image above for highlights of dice added in June 2007

I have almost competed all the sets of MTG Spindowns and am now offering bonuses for both trades and sales ... HERE is what I have / need

As always ... If you have any dice questions ... post them to this thread and I will try to answer them for you

Offline Kevin Cook

• Guardian
    • Awards
July 2007 Highlights
« Reply #76 on: August 01, 2007, 10:08:29 PM »
If you are not interested in new or rare dice that were inventoried this month ... Ignore this post

Click on the 21000th die above for highlights of dice added in July 2007

I have almost competed all the sets of MTG Spindowns and am now offering bonuses for both trades and sales ... HERE is what I have / need ... just 9 left

As always ... If you have any dice questions ... post them to this thread and I will try to answer them for you

Offline Kevin Cook

• Guardian
    • Awards
Gen Con Indy 2007
« Reply #77 on: August 10, 2007, 09:00:40 AM »
For those attending Gen Con next week and wish to:

* Meet me (Like many have done)
* Have me roll your dice for luck for you (like at least 2 have done)
* Rub my belly for luck (like Buddha has done to him)
* Rub my head for luck (we wont go there)

Keep an eye out for a short round guy with either the large red D20 hat ... or the leather tophat
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 10:56:47 AM by Kevin Cook »

Offline Kevin Cook

• Guardian
    • Awards
August 2007 Highlights
« Reply #78 on: August 31, 2007, 06:32:34 PM »

Click on the new Call of Cthulhu dice above for highlights of dice added in August 2007

I have almost competed all the sets of MTG Spindowns and am now offering bonuses for both trades and sales ...
HERE
is what I have / need ... just 8 left

« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 06:46:33 PM by Kevin Cook »

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
Re: Dice Talk
« Reply #79 on: September 01, 2007, 05:29:20 AM »
I happened to search a little for submissions based on dice, but found the results disappointing... clearly, we need more dice-related submissions! (Perhaps the author of this thread, a master of the topic, could make some? *hint-hint-nudge-nudge* )

Knuckle Roller - a dice game
Enemy Dice - a dice plot
(that seems to be all we've got)
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.

Offline Kevin Cook

• Guardian
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: September 01, 2007, 01:28:00 PM »
I happened to search a little for submissions based on dice, but found the results disappointing... clearly, we need more dice-related submissions! (Perhaps the author of this thread, a master of the topic, could make some? *hint-hint-nudge-nudge* )

Knuckle Roller - a dice game
Enemy Dice - a dice plot
(that seems to be all we've got)

LOL ... Anyone have any suggestions? ... as I dont actually use my dice ... except to RP

Offline Murometz

• Last of the Bogatyrs
  • Emperor
  • mathom loves me
  • Awards Locations Guild 2013 Most Upvoted Comment Lifeforms Guild Item Guild 2012 Lifeform of the Year Golden Creator 5
    • Murometz.com
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: September 01, 2007, 02:26:22 PM »
well, I was hoping someone could help me (and snag co-authorship) with this:

Kurgar’s Dice

A set of ordinary-looking dice, carved from milky-red carnelian, they are named after their original owner, one Kurgar Beggars’-Friend. Kurgar earned his satirical appellation at the hands of the general populace, especially the poor and downtrodden, due to the heavy-handed taxation methods Kurgar the Burgomaster employed, during his reign as the Tax Collector throughout the Hundred Thorps region of the Archduchy of Haracon.

Kurgar taxed the villagers of the far-flung thorps into penury within the first four years of his ‘campaign’. His goal, he would explain to anyone who asked and to many, who did not, was to line the coffers of the Archduchy in preparation for the ‘Great Expansion’. The Ducal Seat would soon be acquiring new lands and expanding its borders, and that the ‘good citizenry’ of the Hundred Thorps would need to look to the greater good of the Archduchy, and give more, more often, and freely of their reserves and gains.

Naturally, those that ‘withheld’ from the Ducal Seat, or those that were in Kurgar’s estimation, ‘lying', or in any way, or for whatever reason, unable to pay, were made examples of, and punished, by Kurgar himself or his ‘toughs’. This punishment usually took the form of beatings and humiliations, and by the start of his fifth year in office; Kurgar was reviled and feared in every thorp and village. He had acquired an almost ‘Bogey-Man’ like reputation.

One fine day, Kurgar came to the village of Morning Child, one of the many stops on his bi-monthly collection travels, and came upon the meager hut of one, Old Rat, a wizened old man of no distinction, except for those pesky village rumors that he was some retired hedge-wizard of little notoriety.

As was his wont, Kurgar first politely but disdainfully asked Old Rat for his bi-monthly tithe, but the old man merely shrugged and announced he had nothing.

Again Kurgar asked, convinced that no one ever had nothing, and again Old Rat shrugged and replied he had naught.

Now Kurgar had Old Rat stripped and tied to a cross beam and beaten savagely, and again asked the barely breathing man for monies or goods of some kind, and this time the old man said:

“Go into my hut and look beneath the stool. Lift the wooden board and remove the cloth, and take out the carnelian dice, and then you will have claimed my only possession.”

And so Kurgar did just so, and came back out of the hut some time later, holding a pair of pinkish dice.

“And what good are these to me?” asked Kurgar of Old Rat and Old Rat replied:

“Take them, I have naught else.”

And so Kurgar took the dice, and left, and went on to the next house, and left the wizened Old Rat to expire from his wounds in the hot baking sun.

And so this tale that is not a tale would end, were it not for the fact that Old Rat was indeed a hedge-mage of some skill and considerable ability, and his carnelian dice were indeed his phylactery, or soul jar, as some would call such things, and when the old man died, his soul left his body and seeped into his pair of six-sided dice. And being that the carnelian used to carve these dice, was chipped from the very walls of Nar’Sihb-Qil-Tyie, the Cave-of-Weeping-Gods, where slept the Gatherer of Tears, the Smiling Crocodile, they were a thing of chaos and tainted, just as Old Rat himself, was a worshipper of the Discordant Dynasty and the Daughters of the Slug, chaos gods of a distant and antediluvian era.

Now Kurgar, did have one vice, he loved to game and gamble, and some time later he discovered the dice once more inside one of his many coffers, which lined the walls of his manse’s Underhouse, and gave the dice a roll and thus sealed his own fate, for inside the pair of carnelian dice, danced and rattled the soul of Old Rat.

_________________________________________________ _________________________________________________ _

I dont know how to finish this, or what "powers" the dice may have.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 02:35:57 PM by Murometz »
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Triumph of the Dungeon Master!

Ah, how I have come to love that sense of accomplishment and victory that I get when I pull the wool over the eyes of a clever player character. What DM Triumphs have you had?

Some of mine:
1. Finally killing an incredibly powerful, lucky, annoying player's character.
2. Finally achieving a TPK (Total Party Kill)
3. Finally achieving a TPK using only traps
4. Finally working out how to make it so that d**n wizard doesn't steal the spotlight all the d**n time.

-Captain Penguin

Offline Kevin Cook

• Guardian
    • Awards
September - October 2007 Highlights
« Reply #82 on: November 02, 2007, 12:37:12 PM »

Click on the Strolen Con (thanks again for the donation Strolen)
dice above for highlights of dice added in September & October

I have almost competed all the sets of MTG Spindowns
and am now offering bonuses for both trades and sales ...
HERE
is what I have / need ... just 7 left

Offline Kevin Cook

• Guardian
    • Awards
November 2007 Highlights
« Reply #83 on: December 02, 2007, 06:34:02 PM »

Click on the 22000th die in the collection (above)
for highlights of dice added in November 2007

and am now offering bonuses for both trades and sales ...
HERE is what I have / need ... just 8 left

As always ...
If you have any dice questions ...
post them to this thread and I will try to answer them for you
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 06:53:19 PM by Kevin Cook »

Offline Kevin Cook

• Guardian
    • Awards
December 2007 Highlights
« Reply #84 on: January 01, 2008, 07:18:11 PM »
If you are not interested in new or rare dice that were inventoried this month ...

Click on Eric Krusenstjerna's (of Krusen CNC TECH Inc) custom die above
for highlights of dice added in December 2007

and am still offering bonuses for both trades and sales ...

HERE is what I have / need ... just 7 left

The website has undergone a webhost move ... and face lift ... so let me know what you think

As always ...
If you have any dice questions ...
post them to this thread and I will try to answer them for you
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 10:09:08 AM by Kevin Cook »

Offline Kevin Cook

• Guardian
    • Awards
January 2008 Highlights
« Reply #85 on: January 31, 2008, 05:15:45 PM »

Click on the D1 / D<INFINITY> above
for highlights of dice added in January 2008

HERE is what I have / need ... just 7 left

Offline Kevin Cook

• Guardian
    • Awards
FEBRUARY 2008 HIGHLIGHTS
« Reply #86 on: March 03, 2008, 08:10:03 PM »

Click on the Unknown Origin D20 above 
for highlights of dice added in February 2008

HERE is what I have / need ... just 5 left

Online MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: March 10, 2008, 03:44:51 PM »
Kevin, I found a thread about pictures of your dice collection on www.rpg.net.  I threw a link to this thread on it with an explanation that you are the GB world record holder for dice. I am sure they will follow it through.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Kevin Cook

• Guardian
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: March 11, 2008, 07:54:39 AM »
Thanks MoonHunter ... I tried the link ... but I dont find the thread

I have < my own thread on RPG.NET> ... is this the thread you were referring to?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 01:20:10 PM by Kevin Cook »

Offline Kevin Cook

• Guardian
    • Awards
« Reply #89 on: March 11, 2008, 08:05:07 AM »
I found it ... < THIS > is it
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 08:20:25 AM by Kevin Cook »

Online MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #90 on: March 13, 2008, 10:33:28 PM »
I have < my own thread on RPG.NET> ... is this the thread you were referring to?

No, you did find it. I looked for your thread but the feeble search feature on www.rpg.net failed me. 
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Kevin Cook

• Guardian
    • Awards
<off topic>
« Reply #91 on: March 14, 2008, 07:15:25 AM »
No, you did find it. I looked for your thread but the feeble search feature on www.rpg.net failed me. 

I find that the search feature varies from board to board

Now that I am running my own board ... I have learned that when it comes to searching ... that you are at the mercy of the board's programmers ... and the limitations of the boards database ...

MySql ... vs SQLServer ... vs Oracle :)

Offline Kevin Cook

• Guardian
    • Awards
March 2008 Highlights
« Reply #92 on: March 31, 2008, 05:34:13 PM »

Click on the Ace Precision R&D Brass Floating Face dice above
for highlights of dice added in March 2008

and am still offering bonuses for both trades and sales (no new ones this month ) ...

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Questor Locations Guild Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: March 31, 2008, 08:19:05 PM »
I looked at your spreadsheet....HOLY DICE DICEMAN!! :)

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Kevin Cook

• Guardian
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: March 31, 2008, 09:45:00 PM »
LOL ... Actually ... I had estimated it as more than it is ... I thought it would be closer to 45K

Offline Kevin Cook

• Guardian
    • Awards
April 2008 Highlights
« Reply #95 on: May 02, 2008, 01:19:03 PM »

Click on the Chainmail dice above
for highlights of dice added in April 2008

and am still offering bonuses for both trades and sales (no new ones this month ) ...

« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 01:38:36 PM by Kevin Cook »

Online Silveressa

• Mourning Wolf
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • King
  • Scottish wolf-&^%$@ with silver fangs
  • Awards Guardian of the Citadel Master Questor Article Guild Elite NPC Guild 2012 Location of the Year 2012 Sub of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #96 on: May 03, 2008, 06:53:33 PM »
Alrighty since this thread is about dice I'm curious about your take on "Lucky Dice?" You know, those dice that a player (or gm) buys for the heck of it that for some reason gives them repeated incredible rolls time after time, or just abnormally high/low.

Have you come across many of them in your huge collection? (and if so have you found  them to be the bane of your gaming table in the hands of the wrong player?)
"Lesbian gamers, sometimes we use our hands for other things."

Offline valadaar

• Lord Ascendant of Typos
  • Emperor
  • Awards Golden Creator Elite NPC Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Locations Guild Elite Master Questor Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Awards
« Reply #97 on: May 03, 2008, 06:57:20 PM »
I had a D20 that tended to favour 1's and 20's (though I never did do a proper analysis).  Tended to make things dramatic for the players...

Human Strolenati
         Strolenati Guild
         DwarvenGuild - Dorak Stonehammer
         Weavers Guild
         Level 3
         STR: 4| END: 4| CON: 4| DEX: 4 | CHA: 3 | INT: 7
         Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Kevin Cook

• Guardian
    • Awards
« Reply #98 on: May 04, 2008, 02:56:16 PM »
Alrighty since this thread is about dice I'm curious about your take on "Lucky Dice?" You know, those dice that a player (or gm) buys for the heck of it that for some reason gives them repeated incredible rolls time after time, or just abnormally high/low.

Have you come across many of them in your huge collection? (and if so have you found  them to be the bane of your gaming table in the hands of the wrong player?)

I have come across a few that are unexplainable ... most are explainable ... in that they roll abnormal for everyone

I had a pair if burgandy d6's ... that would roll amazingly in the hands of Hay Fant Sparks (a college buddy of mine) .. I could do nothing with them :)

Offline Kevin Cook

• Guardian
    • Awards
May 2008 Highlights
« Reply #99 on: June 01, 2008, 07:14:12 AM »
If you are not interested in new or rare dice that were inventoried this month ... Please ignore this post

Click on the Jason Lynch Chainmail D8 above
for highlights of dice added in May 2008

« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 09:28:55 PM by Kevin Cook »