llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: NYNG  (Read 46 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline MysticMoon

• Progresstinator in training
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Mi serĉas vortojn
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator 2011 Society of the Year
    • Campfire Stories
    • Awards
NYNG
« on: January 31, 2015, 10:40:54 AM »
Fair warning: This post'll be a bit rambly.

Going for a 2015 roadmap kind of thing:

So, there's a con coming up in a few weeks, which has me thinking about the games I occasionally think about trying (or have somewhat tried but discarded for one reason or another). I'm also recognizing that my gaming interests are morphing a little, so I'm going to do some fresh experimenting to give some of those systems a fair shot.

For awhile, I've mostly stuck with Mini Six. It's fun, it's easy, play is fast (and a bit loose, which can be a benefit all on its own), and I've found that it's a great way to introduce new players into the hobby. It has also helped me focus a lot more on character and story in games and less on crunch (I used to enjoy crunch as a lad, but I've found it mostly distasteful for quite some time now).

Savage Worlds

Well, my tastes seem to be changing. I'm wanting just a little more crunch to ground the game. Not a lot, just a sprinkle. So, I'm giving Savage Worlds another go. Picked up a Flip Mat at the local FLGS and will jury rig some kind of minis or tokens. I'm curious to see what properly laid out combat will be like again, after so much "theater of the mind" style fighting.

Looking over the rules, some of the things which rubbed me the wrong way the first time around are seeming a bit more intriguing. Maybe because I'm looking at it through more "pulpy/actiony" eyes than I was before? I'm getting that the rules are about encouraging a particular style of play, which I plan to fully embrace. The "one solid hit to take out an Extra" seemed odd to me, but then I watch that all the time in action movies without batting an eye, so...

I like how internally consistent the rules are. There may be more to it than Mini Six, but it's not complex or cobbled together and it all pretty much makes sense within its own framework.

So, once I finish one of my Breachworld games, I'm going to switch it to a sci-fi Savage Worlds game (Last Parsec, maybe? Or just some fun amalgamation of that, Slipstream, and whatever else I wanna throw in there).

Fate Core

I liked the concept of Fate from the first moment I saw it. But when I played in a game (FAE, not Core) I just couldn't fully embrace it. I knew the rules, but I didn't grok them, and my play suffered for it. I came away from that experience feeling like it just wasn't for me. But there's always been this ember, this feeling like Fate was made for me and once I fully grasp its mysteries it will be True Love.

I also feel that Fate would be an awesome engine for a PbP game. Narrative flair is so key to the game mechanic. So, once I get RBtW to the right stage of development, I'm going to run it using Fate Core. That'll be some months away, though.

D&D 5E

Yes, you read that right. I haven't been into D&D since 2nd edition (and really, 1st was the last time I *truly* enjoyed it) but I'm ready to give the ol' classic another shot. I blame val for talking it up and being all excited about it.

They're running a lot of "intro to 5e" games at the con, so I should have some opinion in a few weeks. If it grabs me enough, I may be looking for a good 5E game to join.

As a side note, the PHB disappeared into the 14 yr old's room shortly after we returned from the game store :)

Mini Six

I am in no way planning to abandon my very good friend. Aside from the weekly Roll20 game I run in the Breachworld setting, I still consider this to be an excellent way to introduce new players to the world of tabletop RPGs. I have some raw ideas of things I could do with this, but that will have to wait for some of my other projects to be finished.

Paranoia

Only played about half a game after reading through only a portion of the rules, but it was way too much fun. Not the kind of thing I'd do as a campaign, but certainly fun for the occasional one-off.
Chosen of Aktagarti – Divine Synod Guild – Level 1
Might: 2 | Agility: 3 | Wits: 4 | Charm: 3 | Spirit: 4 | Power: 2

The old man, grey-haired, braid hanging down.
He is clothed in faded brown robes.
His craggy face is turned up, bathed in moonlight;
He looks for his goddess to smile upon him.

Offline MysticMoon

• Progresstinator in training
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Mi serĉas vortojn
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator 2011 Society of the Year
    • Campfire Stories
    • Awards
Re: NYNG
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 12:27:22 PM »
And a couple honorable mentions:

Eclipse Phase

Puts me in mind of Cory Doctorow's "Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom" (being able to back up the brain, trade bodies, etc). I've only glanced over some of the quickstart rules and a little of the core book, but I really like what I see. No idea if/when I'll be able to play this one, but it's certainly on my list.

Warriors of the Red Planet

OSR goodness tweaked for the Sword and Planet genre. I've gotten some interest from a few people, if we can ever come up with a schedule that works for everyone... I will admit that lately I'm leaning toward switching out the rules for Savage Worlds, though. Not sure if that will affect the flavor or not.
Chosen of Aktagarti – Divine Synod Guild – Level 1
Might: 2 | Agility: 3 | Wits: 4 | Charm: 3 | Spirit: 4 | Power: 2

The old man, grey-haired, braid hanging down.
He is clothed in faded brown robes.
His craggy face is turned up, bathed in moonlight;
He looks for his goddess to smile upon him.