llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: new continent */  (Read 4359 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline forgottengods

• Adept
    • Awards
new continent */
« on: February 03, 2003, 11:04:57 PM »
we are playing palladium fantasy rpg here in mexico but in the books is a map of a known world and they say you can´t get out of that pangea because there is a dimensional barrier but we have played in thata map for 5 years and i think it could be kind of cool if we got into a new continent but i dont know how to start makien thath continent (help!!)
and what explanation i should give to the players of how they got there and if theye are tha same gods creature or clases i want to make all new things but i dont know how to start can any one help me please  :?:
« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 12:14:30 AM by MoonHunter »
the new gods of palladium have arrive  you can run and hide but soon you willl die.

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
new continent
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2003, 04:48:56 AM »
Ahhh, Palladium. My lost love. Be assured I will attempt to help you with this question, I just have very little time this week, I apologize. Will try and answer over the weekend :!:  :!:

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline forgottengods

• Adept
    • Awards
new continent need new gods? new maps?
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2003, 03:59:20 PM »
last nights i was working on my campaign and i started to think about the new continent and the need of gods and i fell sleep thinking in that then in the morning i was buying a coke in the store and one of my players came by and said i was up so tonight we play again and i say yeah sure and then he ask me hey man what should a player have to do to be a god !!
and i said sorry i dont know and he reply i am a 15 level barbarin and i want tobe a god or make my character a god the i start a new one i only want my character to be remember  and thats the question how cana player can be a god?? (help) and is this a good idea for the new gods to be old characters'?
and what is a demi god ? please someone help me i was reading about that but i dont have a clue i spende all the night cheking the software for making maps but i didnt find one that i can posibly use  :?  well i think im juts getting old hahaha because the last days i dont have a clue of anything i need something new for my campaign .
the new gods of palladium have arrive  you can run and hide but soon you willl die.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
new continent
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2003, 05:58:14 PM »
A demigod is the child of a god and a mortal. They have great powers but are not as powerful as their god parents.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
new continent
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2003, 06:03:45 PM »
A character should not be allowed to play as a god. However, if they are willing to start a new character, and the old one has done some pretty impressive things, go ahead and make them a god. But then again, that's just my opinion.

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
Of Lost Continents
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2003, 04:13:24 AM »
Your continent seems to have few islands to it, or must be separated by vast distances from the rest of the world. This indicates little need for searching other lands, through navy or otherwise. Or is it only some common belief, that there is no land outside this one? Well, I don't know your world. But let's have some ideas!

Exploring and Finding
(how to get the heroes there?)

- A hurricane carries a ship far away from its usual route. According to maps, there should be no land (or the edge of the world...), but there is an island, or more of them! When the ship returns, it spreads rumours about the discovery.
- Same as above, the heroes themselves are on board. They may want to explore now or later, or can be hired, or provoked on a mission if they spread the rumours.
- A magical experiment (Teleport or not) goes awry and transports them right onto that other continent!
- Diplomats from the other end of world arrive, offer peace and business. Whether they are so peaceful or not, local rulers will pay much for information about those lands.
- Old legends, a seer, or their finds indicate a land beyond the known maps. Don't forget to make them seem strange and exotic, no one would go to Old Boredomville!
- A person from that continent ends somehow up here. It wants home.

What now?!
(and once they are there?)

Gods? That depends very deeply on your world.

A) The pantheon is basically the same. People worship the same gods, but maybe under different names, with slightly different agendas/portfolios. Your clerics keep their powers, but will have many discussions with other clerics of the "same" god. But, for various reasons, there may be "new" gods, or a god you worship is unknown here! Maybe the gods don't like it somewhere, have some agreement, or their worshippers were all killed in some holy war, or anything.

B) The pantheon is deeply different. Maybe it IS the same, just reversed? (Try to somehow invert all your deities. A Good deity could be made into an Evil deity but similar, etc.)

Or entirely new deities. Maybe the world's size does not allow them to spread their holy powers across both continents. Your clerics may be powerless. The gods have probably an agreement about not crossing their ways. In the long run, this may be hard for the heroes, if gods themselves want no mixing between both continents.

B2) Similar as above, but the gods have no agreement or even don't know of that Other Side! To be honest, this means sooner or later a Holy War, or several. I would not use this option.

C) Do something different. You have that usual gods on your continent? People may worship in other ways. The Spirits of all kinds, from shamanism to voodoo. Strange holy beings and demons. Great heroes of the past. Celestial bodies. A pantheon with thousands of gods and beings. The Four Winds...

Races? Hmmm...

A new race or few may do good. Or at least a subrace of a known race.

Classes?
I think there should not be TRULY new classes. Now for all the exceptions:
- Different gods give different powers. Different ways of worshipping too.
- Maybe the magic works somewhat differently, means different uses for it.
- Technology and research make new classes possible, as do materials and sources unknown elsewhere. Best seen on magic-users: magic based on strange crystals, wild magic, Blood magic, elemental magic, Sand magic, Song magic...
- Classes you seemed to know? Twist them! Druids are usually close to nature anywhere. On this continent, their power is in deep woods only. Make rangers followers of a particular deity, or not if they are.

Some of the new classes may be easily adapted on the old continent, some not.
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
new continent
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2003, 04:41:07 AM »
I want to be a god!

Good one. :D

If he wants to be well remembered, he just has to be a great hero, only so little!

But then, if a character wants to become a GOD, hmmm...
- How gods became gods? Are there any that were mortals before? He just needs to repeat their ascension to godhood.
- Most probably help of another god is needed. And such a favour does not come cheaply...
- The Greek Gods had ambrosia, food that could make you a god. It just does not lie behind every corner.
- It may require followers that worship him as a god.
- Forget it without a few hard quests.

I would tell an aspiring player this:
I don't know if it is possible. No matter the solution (if any), but it is impossible, if you are not a very powerful character, are not known far and wide, and there are some things very specifical about you, you are extremely good at, or that represent you. That would be your portfolio, your powers. If it is possible at all.

(Given not much hope, eh? :cry: Becoming god is not easy!)

Or if the character retires, or perhaps dies a heroical death, just do it!
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.

Offline forgottengods

• Adept
    • Awards
tanx
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2003, 03:19:21 AM »
yes the character wants to retire but he also want to be remeber thats all but he want to be remembered as a god hehe he want to satart a new character at level 1 and levae the otrer as a god( and then i controlled the god and the player start over a new character )

tanx for helping me out with the new continent tha thing is in the book said that no one can levae the pagea because ther is a dimensional barrier no one can go thru that barrier and they dont tell you what is in the other side  :cry:

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
new continent
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2003, 03:31:16 AM »
Rules in books are meant to be changed.

Quote from: "forgottengods"
book said

Means absolutely nothing. It is not a law that you will be punished for breaking. If you want new lands, "Make it so, Number One."

You are the DM, the dimensional barrier becomes week and travel is possible if you squash 20 tomatoes, eat two yellow dung beetles, and use a beaver tail to dig your way through the barrier. If you want a way to get through it, then create a way to do it.

If your players are thinking like you then they won't care what you do to make a new land, they will just enjoy it as you will.

Have fun, that is always the key. If the rules are against something you want to do to have fun, then change them, they aren't worth following!

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline forgottengods

• Adept
    • Awards
ok
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2003, 11:09:54 PM »
yes iam wont use the book said think again

i am doing the thing more free and it feels good
maybe the book are cool but the rulez like you said are made to be broken
 :twisted:

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
new continent
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2003, 04:15:12 PM »
Hey, forgotten, how about this?

Every year, the far eastern port of Skotai receives strange silent black boats from the east sailing into their harbor and anchoring for a while. While the black ship is anchored, it is an unlucky time, and people and things often dissapear. The people of Skotai say that the ship is a demon-boat and that it sails up from the edge of the world, beyond the horizon were the ocean falls off into unamagined nether space.

(Perhaps the black ships are coming from your other continent.)

Offline ephemeralstability

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Knight
  • Awards Item Guild Golden Creator Plot Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
new continent
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2003, 09:40:04 AM »
You've been reading too much Lovecraft, Cap'n!

ephemeralstability!
"Happy is the tomb where no wizard hath lain, and happy the town at night whose wizards are all ashes" - H P Lovecraft, The Festival

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
new continent
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2003, 05:39:22 PM »
What can I say? What tipped you off, the "unamagined nether space"?

Offline ephemeralstability

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Knight
  • Awards Item Guild Golden Creator Plot Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
new continent
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2003, 07:42:22 PM »
:) Cross between that and the black ships. I did like the Dream Quest! It's a superb source of fantasy inspiration for me too! Full of very eldritch and bizarre ideas.

ephemeralstability!
"Happy is the tomb where no wizard hath lain, and happy the town at night whose wizards are all ashes" - H P Lovecraft, The Festival

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
new continent
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2003, 04:02:32 PM »
Yep. That Dream-Quest was different, allright.

Offline Kassil

• Phantasm of the Millenium
  • Master
  • Infinitely Improbable
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10
    • K's Lair
    • Awards
new continent
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2003, 04:15:38 AM »
Prsonally, I've wanted to read that story for a while, but can never find it. Still, Lovecraft has some beautiful inspiration for fiendish GMs, doesn't he? I'm particularly fond of the Color...
"I grab the sword!"
"Mmkay, you're dead."
"What!?"
"You just grabbed the sword of the god you were just personally responsible for banishing from the world for the next ten thousand years. You just got zapped by around a billion volts of Angry Divine Power. You're dead."

Offline forgottengods

• Adept
    • Awards
lovecraft
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2003, 04:00:15 AM »
yes h.p. lovecraft is the greater goth writeer of all times i hace the call of chtulu book and the game (rpg) too i think is great
and tanx captain that idea of the black ships is really good and maybe a war can make the party get to the new continent

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
building upon manfred's post....
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2003, 06:26:12 AM »
When you sail far enough from Pangea, you begin to encounter dimensional rifts. There are usually storms around these.  You sail through one and find yourself on a different world, with different rules (optional but fun if the clerics can't renew their spells or magik works a different way and the MU's spells don't work the same way).  The characters can putter on that world for a while, then try to return home.  You sail back and get lucky... finding a return rift.  If you like the world, players will be able to find that rift's storm again.  If you did not like the world, they can't find that rift in that storm again.  

This way you don't have to worry about the map in reference to the existing map.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©