llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Larenna,refuge of the beast folk  (Read 2405 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Maggot

• Insectoid Horror Of Canberra
  • Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Questor Society Guild Elite Society Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Locations Guild
    • Awards
Larenna,refuge of the beast folk
« on: January 17, 2005, 02:49:14 AM »
Imagine a land filled with lush tropical forests and great rivers. A land that is simply bursting with life and energy. A land devoid of human civilization. For the predominant life on the land of Larrena are great,gentle beasts that come in all shapes and sizes,ranging from giant reptiles to vast,shaggy haired  mammals. And all of them share something in common. They are not dumb brutes,but on the contrary,are intelligent,wise beings that lives in small viilages. Their forests they treasure and love,never submitting them to the rape of the axe and plow,choosing instead to gather from the abundant forest all the nourishment they need. Even their homes are built by using their powerful grasp of earth and plant magic to twist the surrounding foliage and terrain into imposing but natrual dwellings for them. Herbivorous for the most part,they abbhor violence and detist from even slaying the dangerous predators that sometimes prey on them,choosing instead to avoid or deter them. Primitive tribes of beast things? Not quite. On the contrary, they are very advanced in some ways. Their great knowledge of astronamy is testifed to by their lunar temples of magcally shaped earth that are erected in clearings,from which they observe the Quanaa move across the skies and their herbal medicine skills are beyond anything known to humans. It is from there that they observed the great stars that  are belived to carry the Qunanna across the skies everyday.

They are the children of the herbivorous beast spirits or the Quaana,that feared for the safety of their children when men and the other sentient races begun to despoil the world. Unknown to the gods,they slipped away to a vast mountain range and rent it into two,creating a gaping hollow.  There they reached for the essence of each plant eating animal and .. ..enhanced them. Violating the laws of life,they gave these new creations the intelligence of the sentient races,as well as exaggerated strenth and size to protect them from the fearsome flesh eaters that roamed the land. And to further ensure their continued existence,they also raised a shield that would conceal this land from the prying eyes of the world. And before they departed,they named it Larrena or ''Blessed Home.''

And so for centuries,they lived in prosperity and happiness,the offspring of the beast spirits. But disaster would strike. When the gods finally realized what the Quaana had done,they were angered and destoyed them. Then,they tore down the magical barrier of this blessesd land,leaving it to the mercies of humans and others. On the scared month of Hana,there was an immense keening sound that shook the skies above,closely resembling the scream of a tortured soul and the people of Larenna shuddered,at that moment feeling an intense chill cut through their bodies as the shield was disamantled by the gods. And there were others who heard it too,those who noticed that where an immense mountain range once stood,there was now an enourmous crevice opening into a great forest.  

Soon,voracious armies of humans,orcs and gnomes arrived,eager to claim and exploit this land. And thus the struggle begun. For years,the children of the Quaana kept the invaders at bay,using their great knowledge of elemental magic. But ever armed with new and terrible weapons,the humans and others encroached closer and closer,intent on wresting this land from it's native inhabitants.

The idea that the greatest and most powerful native kingdoms band together against the threat posed by the invaders had never crossed the heads of their leaders and kings. The various beast folk kingdoms had always lived in seclusion from one another,convinced that this would prevent conflict of any kind from arising. Isolation would also ensure that the unique culture of each land would remain pure and untainted,free from the threat of pollution that influences from another kingdom would pose. Thus it was that each kingdom had to rely on itself,never requesting help from any of it's neighbours when coping with external threats such as a flesh eater raid. This is not to say each race only cared about it's own selfish needs,ignoring the plight of it's neighbours. In times of a plant blight,food to feed the affected kingdom would always arrive,left at the border that separated it's lands from those of it's neighbours. But to come together to face a common crisis? Such ideas of cooperation simply did not exist. And thus it was that as the smaller kingdoms fell to the hordes of the invaders,the larger ones simply turned a blind eye,hoping that they would be left alone,only to realize too late that this was not going to happen.

Inevitably,as this great upheavel progressed,the beast-folk slowly begun to question the absence of their spirit forbears in this dire time of need. All realized that the Quaamna could no longer hear them. But as to why this was the case,serious divisions soon emerged. Some felt that the their spirit gods had been destoyed or no longer cared and thus stopped praying to them. The other,more hot blooded races instead saw this as a test of their faith. The Quaamna wanted to see how pious ther children would be if they had to rely on themsleves rather than instant help from them. Becoming even more devout,this group condemed those who had lost their faith as apostates and forsook the use of magic to defend themselves,not wanting to use the Quamnnas gift in this time of self-reliance. Embracing the hithero unknown concept of self-defence,they raised armies to stop the advance of the invaders. For this,they were condemened in turn by the new unbelivers who were appalled that they had taken up violence like lowly ''flesh eater vermin. The rancour between these two groups grew so strong that each actively wished for the destruction of the other,with some of the more enraged unbelivers actually revealing the location of the hidden kingdoms of the zealous ones to to the invaders,hoping that the destruction of these violent ones would distract the attention of the invaders from them.

The invaders for their part, carved out kingdoms and domains out of their spoils and then proceeded to bicker with one another,even as they continue to push on against the beast folk to this day.

But native and invader alike,caught in their war and squabbles,remain oblivious to the dark threat that slowly emerges,working it's fell deeds slowly but inexoerably,in preparation for the day it will unleash great  horror on us all. For he has awakened,the savage one with the terrible hunger,the Bone Crusher,the Blood Drinker...
“I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak.” -Bill Watterson

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Maggot

• Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Questor Society Guild Elite Society Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Locations Guild
    • Awards
Getting Started
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 12:41:11 AM »
So,does any master creator of settings have words of advice as to how I should start? As in what in your opinion,should come first? Religon,races,terrain,magic or wildlife? I intend to get this rolling soon but would like to know what I should focus on,to set this off to a good start.
“I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak.” -Bill Watterson

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline krome

• Apprentice
    • http://barelytzu.blogspot.com
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 01:19:04 AM »
Well, if you really wanted to get into the behavoirs and history of this, the sad history here on earth is absolutely teeming with examples of the mass of civilization encroaching on the indigenous of this or that land.  It's happening now in the Phillipines, in Chiapas (Mexico), Tibet, etc.  And of course there's the obvious examples from history like the American Indians.  

Maybe these great old races that are beating back the rest of civilization are divided in some way, large or small?  Perhaps some of them think that since they defied the gods to create their home, the change is inevitable or is divine command, maybe some of them are pacifists and won't fight (the most powerful villiage won't fight back until it's too late?)  History seems to bear out the fact that in situations like this one, the lack of unity has always played a huge role in the defeat of indigenous.  

Or maybe, like the American Indians, the creatures invited the humans/Dwarves etc. onto their land first  (helped a group of lost travellers who stumbled onto the newly-opened land?), and then were betrayed by the same people who brought back stories of wealth and resources when they returned home.

I don't know what ideas you had in mind, if all of the different races that are trying to take over this land are all warring with each other for supremacy (which would make them easier to handle for the creatures since they would not be unified either and would be suceptible to manipulation) or what.  Are the gods helping the humans/Dwarves or are they indifferent?  

Just ideas.

Offline Maggot

• Strolenati
  • King
    • Awards
Fleshing it out
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 03:05:09 AM »
Ahh,finally a response. And thank you for the much needed suggestions. Well,what I had in mind was that of a culture that though pacifist,still has yet to embrace the concept of universal brotherhood. Traditionally,each great village or settlement has remined withdrawn and insular,not wanting contact with their closest neighbours for fear of contaminating their own culture or even worse,fuelling the rise of cross breeds. No contact also means less room for conflict.

This means that every kingdom has to look out for itself,expecting no help from it's neighbours,other than food in times of hardship. So like you suggested,you have a situation where the greatest kingdoms do nothing to help the weaker ones. And,yes,there is a split among them. Some of them have continued to worship their spirits forbears,even after the arrival of the invaders,not knowing that they are dead. But others have stopped doing so,realizing that their creators can longer hear them. This has provoked anger from the first camp that see the non-belivers as ungrateful traitors that deserve to be destroyed. Thus,they are actually glad when these apostates are destoyed them and might even help the invaders,by reufsing to provide aid for those drive away by the invaders.

As for the invading humans,gnomes and orcs themselves,there are quite a few alliances and rivalries among the the kingdoms that they have carved out . The humans  were the first to arrive and thus warred among themselves over the spoils,until the orcs and gnomes arrived. Fearing that the newcomers might forced the humans off,they have now formed a large,messy alliance,albeit one sorely tested by hotile moves from more ambitious chieftains and kings that want an empire of their own. The orcs meanwhile,still remain as disunited as ever,fighting each other as much as they do the humans. But recent signs point to the emergance of powerful tribal alliances that may pose a serious threat to the human domains. The gnomes for their part,come from the same tribe and present a united front. They have even teamed up with angry human kings that oppose the alliance.  Some of the weaker native kingdoms have even declared themselves the vassals of the gnomes,feeling like you said,that it is inevitable. They hope that the gnomes will be kinder masters than the rapacious orcs and humans. And yes,the gods are indifferent. They tore down the shied for the sole fact that it was done without their permission. As for what thhe invaders do,they do not know or care.

Thanks for responding,Krone. I hope to see more of this,before I start work on the setting proper itself.

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Iain

• Adept
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2005, 05:38:19 AM »
One difference between this setting and similar ones in real world history is that (presumably) diseases aren't transferrable to the animal people from the orcs, gnomes and humans. If diseases to which they had had no immunity hadn't totally decimated the American Indians, the Europeans would have found conquest a whole lot harder. In other words, the animal people might well be able to put up quite a strong resistance.
Promozione fare e consumo del gelato reale.

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Maggot

• Strolenati
  • King
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005, 05:55:12 AM »
Nice observation there,Iain. Nope,the animal people have nothing to fear illness wise,given that their DNA is totally different from that of the invaders. So,yes,I can see the stronger,more populous native kingdoms halting the progress of their foes.

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Interesting but difficult to implement
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2005, 09:20:40 PM »
Well, my first impression is that it is very unique. A civilization of peaceful druid-animals or something like that. It would be very easy to make it seem very fairy-tale like-
"I am Daambu, King of the Deers! Bow before me, two-legged being!"

But another thing is that this would be very difficult to implement in an actual game. It'd be great for a novel, but the players might have trouble really connecting to a setting this different from what they know, especially if they are playing as the Larannan animals themselves.

Also- if these Larannan animals are really nature-connected beings and such, they won't need to create "sophisticated waste disposal systems" or "huge stone temples". They need only the forest around them- they're like sentient animals, yes? They can just crap in the woods- as natural creatures, they can obviously understand that there is no shame in it, they're only returning their waste to the earth. And they don't need stone temples- they're connected with the earth as it is (though perhaps they have become disconnected from the Quaanma or Quaara, whichever it is, and that is why they are building structures for them).
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Maggot

• Strolenati
  • King
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2005, 11:45:11 PM »
Thanks for raising these two querries,Captain. Answering questions like these actually help me develop the setting as I go along.Now to answer them as best as I can.

Regarding the first one,yes,I know that palyers need to have something fammiliar that they can unerstand. For this reason,I do not wish to soley focus on concetrate on developing the native kingdoms,but also wish to create the foundations for future empires among among the invaders. The humans,orcs and gnomes that came there,were compelled to flee there by stronger foes and thus intend to stay in Larenna for good. Thus,many kingdoms have sprung up among them,vying with each other for dominance even as they continue to push against the more defiant of the native kingdoms. Thus,players can always find appealing roles among them,as well as with the beast folk that have embraced violence in the form of ''self defence.'' Also,I will also try to add more typical elements,such as evil beasties and vile necromancers that have forsaken the nature magic of Larenna,in order to embrace ''death magic.'' And the lolwy flesh eaters of this world too have potential to become a great menace as I will try to show when Larenna evolves.

As for your second question,yes,you are right. Stone sould be replaced with earth formations that have been shaped by druids. And yes,sewage systems are not needed as their waste goes to replenishing the soil.

I understand that this setting is kinda bizzare,but it is my hope that I can give it some appeal. (Just don't know when to give up. :P ) So,any suggestions as to what you think I should start on first? Races,kingdoms,terrain or outstanding wildlife?

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Maggot

• Strolenati
  • King
    • Awards
The Jabbaru or rhino folk
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2005, 02:15:24 AM »
''Captured by the Blood Drinker,Eshula,the eldest of the Quaaman,was tortured and tormented by that vile monster,may his name never be revealed. As part of his twisted plan to extract as much amusement from his captive as possible,the Blood Drinker had him bound with stout cords of rope that not even the strong Eshula could break and then proceeded to slash his flesh and lap with his foul tounges the sacred blood that was spilled forth,enjoying it with bestial glee. Finally,when it appeared that Eshula was close to death from loss of blood,the Blood Drinker spat on him and left,leaving him to die. But Eshula's cries of distress had not gone unheard Creeping from their little holes,came field mice that took pity on the bound Quaana and chewed through the ropes imprisioning him. Then they nursed him with the berries they had gathered. Eshula was not close to death,but merely exhausted from his ordeal. When he was revived,he found himself touched by the kindness of the little things that given him some of their own stores of food. Reaching out for the essence of the Those-Before-US,he transformed them into beings strong and brave,that would never suffer humilation and suffering at the hands of the Blood Drinker's vile creations. And thus were the JaBbaru born.''-Taken from the Tales of the Jabaru.

The Jabbaru or rhino folk,unlike the other children of the Quanaa,live in few grassland plains that exist in Larenna. For this reason,they are seen as being half mad and weird by the other beast folk that cannot fathom why the rhino people choose to forsake the cool loving shade of the forests fro the scorching nakedness of the grasslands where shade is restricted to
a few stunted trees that  fail to provide any comfort during the sweaty months of summer. The Jabbaru for their part,are convinced that there can be not better home than the grasslands where one has huge spaces to roam in,unhampered by annoying clumps of trees that seems to enjoy growing everywhere. And horror of horrors,unlike the sun drenched grass landsBesides,the grassland is always drenched with the warm,loving rays of the sun,in stark contrast to the dark,dank forests where  a Jabbaru could go for years without feeling the sun on his face.

The Jabbaru kingdom is one of all the largest among the native relams in Larenna,streching for thousands of miles all, the way from the forest of Kort to the Hydur river that marks the boundary between their lands and the small kingdom of the water buck on the opposite bank. and their people are probally the most populous,with the scattered straw huts of the Jabbaru covering great parts of the plains. This has made them somewhat arrogant,believing themselves to be more ''distinguished'' than the other children of the Quaamna,making their neighbours the waterbuck only too glad to leave them to their own devices.

The Jabbaru are ruled by a supreme ruler called ''Pulash'',or ''Son of Eshula.'' Other titles for him include ''Ruler of the Grasslands'' and ''Sire of  many''.  He is believed to be the earthly vessel that houses some of th essence of the beast spirit and is thus revered as divinity made flesh. This means that he needs the consent of no one to act as he feels is right,though the druids and earth-shapers are highly regarded by him and often counsel him on important matters.

The royal title of Pulosh is not inherited. Eshula chooses to place part of him in the one that is selected by him. This can be anyone,from the son of a druid to the child of a humble forager. When the current Plosh dies,there follows a month of mourning when everyone ceases to forage for food,choosing instead to mourn the departure of Ehsula's vessel. The druids keep the people fed by encouraging grass and fruit to sprout around abundantly around the homes of the Jabaru. The body of the Pulsoh is kept for 10 days during which the druids perform the final rites and appeal to Eshula to return soon.Then the dead king is carried forth from his palace to the greath earthen mound where he will be interred.

For the next few weeks,the druids are in chagre of ruling the kingdom,until the sacred day of Gosh arrives. During this day,the new Pulsoh is chosen. All the young males of the land are summoned and made to line up before the great earthen lunar temple some distance away from the grand residence of the Pulosh.  They stand there totally silent,until a druid on the top of the temple sights a red star Tarsis shooting across the sky. Tarsis is regarded as the vehicle of Ehsula that carries him as he roams the skie above Larena,searching for the mortal that will have the honor of serving as his divine vessel. When the star finally vanishes from sight,immediately all the eyes of the asembled young males are illuminated with torches. The one who has Tarsis reflected in his eyes is declared the new Pulosh. He is then carried by the rest gathered there to his new home to enjoy a new life of great comfort and luxury. The very next day,a week of celebration is declared. Great platters of food are brought forth by the royal staff for a feat held for all his subjects that takes place in the great halls of the Pulosh's residence for every day of the week. The Pulosh imslef appears before them to bess his people with the divine grace of Ehsula and gifts are given away. He has of course,good reason to be happy.

As well as being give the best of what the kingdom has,he is also given the task of impregnating the young maids of the land to give his people capable offspring that will help them greatly. Indeed,many of a Pulosh's offspring go on to join the Druid preisthood which accepts only those with a gift for wielding the elements and contibute greatly to the Jabaaru kingdom,something attributed to their divine progeny. Like all Jabarru youngsters,they are raised by their mothers and never see thier sire,for the Jabbaru feel that a male's work in parenting done when he plants his seed in a female that catches his eye. Females stay with their mothers as long as they like,but males are driven out upon reaching maturity,to start a life of their own. Some of them choose to live alone,while others join groups made up of young males that live together,forming a brotherhood of sorts.

Jabbaru society is very free,with no slavery allowed and femaless allowed to try their hands at the same things as males. The Society of Bards and Loremasters of the Jabbaru who are much esteemed for their preservation of the oral history of their people,are second only to druids in esteem,boast a large number of females among their ranks. Even the druid preisthood has elected talented females as it's head.

The Jabbaru under the great king,Guha-al-Jabbaru,were one of the first to embrace the cocept of self defence. In the summer of the year Hinana,Guah and his army of newly trained warriors crushed a combined orc and gnome force that had invaded their lands from the forest Kort. Armed with battle tactics he had learned from human mercenaries bought over by the gold his people collected from their side of the  ore rich Hydur river,he easilsy scattered the invading force and with his own massive arms,grabbed the the orc chieftain leading the enemy forces and impaled the warrior on his giant horn,deterring other would be conqurers from pursuing the same fate.

Like most beast folk,the Jabbaru wear no clothes of any kind, they do however.enjoy bedecking themselves with gold jewelry,given the abundance of gold in the Jabbaur lands. Males wear giant torques around their thick,powerful necks while females prefer giant hoop earings that are said to make them more desirable to males.

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Maggot

• Strolenati
  • King
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2005, 11:18:23 PM »
Finished the Jabbaru. Ideas that will be coming soon:

-The Water buck kingdom

-The pool of seeing

-The tree top dwelling gibbon folk

Authentic Strolenite®©