llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: [Terenis] Foreboding Forest  (Read 21577 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline EchoMirage

• Caffeinated Alcoholic Blood
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Golden Creator NPC Guild Master Questor Elite Questor
    • Awards
[Terenis] Foreboding Forest
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2005, 03:31:56 AM »
I rose early, but stayed in bed a bit longer, enjoying the lack of a strict discipline I was used to until now. Feeling a cold nose in my ear, I turned around with a smile and tossed Timber out of the bed, scratching him behind the ears. "We're friends, thus sharing a bed is NOT included."

I proceeded to taking my morning medicine - discipline or not, I could not omit them for some stupid reason like them having an awful taste. Yoruga root, to grow healthy; Kerm seeds to help my talent develop; Jhandan to ward off the fatigue the coming day would bring; Gurmi berries, so that demon taint would have a hard time taking root in me even if one of them afflicted me with his corruption; Khemash nuts so that the mix of the previous would not kill me...
All those poisons had one advantage: lice and similar denizens of crowded places stayed away from me.

Down in the tavern, I spent a few coins - the breakfast is certainly the most important meal of the day. So I ordered a chicken and some milk, ham and eggs and a few greases slices of bread, sharing with Timber, but still wolfing down most of it myself - that Jhandan extract made me ravenous in the morning... it also made me sweat and feel... uneasy... in the presence of others, so I sat in the very corner.

Chastising myself for yesterday, I stuffed a pair of socks where they belong.

Like I came, so I left, the hat's brim dragged down deep to ward of the biting rays of sunshine... they stung most at dawn, the tender velvet of the night torn so vicously apart, all shapes suddenly so sharp and painful.

Cut out from the shadow by the merciless blades of light, there stood three figures by the fringe of the forest, ones I recognized.

Rowan's hooves clapping in a serene rhythm I rode closer, yet keeping a few steps distance, that first rush of Jhandan not having worn off yet.

I nodded to each of them, yet the two men seemed to hardly notice... no morning people then?

I reached into one of my bags, and produced a piece of bacon from there - to carry me through the time until they woke up.
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Authentic Strolenite (though spanked) (C) (R)

Offline ScorpionJinx

• Knight
  • Awards Hall of Heroes 5
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2005, 09:12:33 AM »
Hearing the sound of an approaching rider, Itascia opened her eyes slowly. Looking in that direction. Another had decided to join them. A smile played across her features. Genuinely pleased to see him again. Looking to Hashang and the mayor briefly. Itascia rose to her feet, brushing off the small bits of dirt and leaves that tried to cling to her clothing.

She nodded in greeting to Coram on this fine morning. noticing that he was keeping his distance. She found this behavior to be of interest, perhaps she might ask him about it later. The smell of bacon suddenly teased her sense. And like a starving wolf her stomach growled, a low and deep sound. Her cheeks grew very red from embarassment. She had eaten breakfast, but there was something about the smell of bacon that would make even the fullest person salivate.

Sheepishly she rubbed the back of her head, not saying anything. Her smile was pleasant this morning. The bruise on her throat appeared a bit darker in places and was showing some signs of fading in others. Itascia's voice was much better as well. Not so raspy anymore. Moving alittle closer, as to not disturb Hashang's meditation. She looked to Coram. "Good morning."
If found, please return to Sender.
Strolenite Lite ®©
Penguinati Acolyte

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Golden Creator NPC Guild Master Questor Elite Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2005, 11:57:05 AM »
Remembering how disappointed Itascia looked when I withdrew myself yeasterday, I did not back off, though that is what I generally do after my morning dose - Jhandan fills one's blood with fire, the lungs with freezing air and all the senses with a flood of perceptions.
Such as now - the presence of Itascia invaded my mind, but in a pleasant way - the salty smell of sweat, the scent of hair damp from morning fog, breath carrying a fine hint of fruit an berries...
I buried my nose in Rowan's mane to drown out the sensation, and then, still pressed against my steed's neck, turned to her, a greeting smile, warmer than I'd normally produce, on my lips.
"Hello Itascia... I am glad you manged to join us." Very clearly, I heard that rumble. "I amglad that your hunger has joined us too." Cutting off a piece of meat, I added: "And I will be very glad if this can join your hunger."
As I was handing her the bacon, her scent filled me again, I heard her heart thumping inside her chest...
I must have been breathing heavily, my face all red...
d**ned Jhandan. It may save your life... but surely, it will kill you. I was glad that Rowan's mane was there.
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Offline ScorpionJinx

• Knight
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2005, 05:44:10 PM »
In truth she was surprised by the offered bit of bacon. Taking it gently. She looked up at him, a genuine smile upon her lips. "Thank you Coram." With his senses so accute then he would have noticed the subtle shift in the rhythmn of her pulse. She was alittle embarassed by the rumble of her stomach. Lightly nibbling on the bit of bacon. Mmm, it tasted heavenly.

She soon noticed the way he was leaned down against his horse's mane and the red hue upon his skin. It seemed familiar to her.  Adjuting where she stood, moving down wind from him. The morning breeze carried her scent another direction.

The bit of bacon was finished. Looking back to Coram, a slender brow raised questionably. "Jhandan?" It was something she knew well and had used it on rare occassions, though not exactly willingly. The troupe leader use to slip small doses into their drinks. Her experiences with it had been unpleasant.
Strolenite Lite ®©
Penguinati Acolyte

Offline Maggot

• Insectoid Horror Of Canberra
  • Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Society Guild Elite Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2005, 11:29:38 PM »
A couple of hours after sunrise,Klanu finally mustered enough determination to throw off his large down-filled comforter and rose groggily from his bed,then instantly wished he hadn't. The pounding ache in his head and the nausea rising in his belly was enough to make his sorely tested body scream for the soothing numbess of sleep again. He gave a sigh. The little revel Bryce had thrown last night had been very unwise. Even he should have been able to see that sating themselves on a feast of various roasted meats and rich heady red wine at the local inn that night,would have interfered with their plan to rise at the crack of dawn the next day to show the mayor and the others in their little party just how punctual and disciplined they could be. Alas,that was an idle fantasy now,thanks to Bryce's insistance that they make their last night in Cuderim for a long time to come,a most pleasent one. Through the wine induced fog swirling in his head,Klanu could vaugely remember Bryce assuring him that indulging themselves  a little would do no harm. So much for that. His  skull felt it was like being pounded by a smith's hammer and his stomach was fretful and bothered. Bryce had probally suffered worse though. A small man,he had drunk and ate even more than Klanu,making his big friend wonder where he put it all away. No doubt a heavy price would be exacted for his gluttony.

Staggering to Bryce's large bed(Bryce's silver had gotten them very comfortable lodgings indeed)he discovered that his worse fears had been realized. Huddled beneath the blankets was the curled form of Bryce,his hands clearly clutching his belly in agony. The only part of him that could be seen,was the little man's face that had taken on a rather distinct shade of green. Must go well with his green night gown,Klanu thought idly in a detached corner of his mind.'

Raising his face as Klanu approached,Bryce grimaced. ''Don't feel too good..''he forced out from between tighly clenched teeth.  ''No,I suppose not,my lord.''' Klanu found himself mumbling. ''You're not going to the forest today,not in your current state. Meet up with the rest of our little party when you have suffeciently recovered for the ardorous trek into that dark place. For now,rest. I shall get a healer to take care of your health.''

Ignoring the weak protests that his words provoked from Byrce,Klanu dressed  and prepared himself( with some difficulty.),aware that his commanding words were anything but those appropriate for one serving out his term of ritual bondage. No doubt Bryce as his ''master'',would give him some unpleasent task to carry out when he had gotten well enough to use the powers he had over Klanu,but he must have understood that Klanu had done what he did out of concern for the safety of his friend. Besides,it was not like Klanu had any reason for not wanting Byrce to come along. Quite the opposite in fact. In that sinister place he was about to venture into,he would feel the absence of Bryce's blade very keenly.

After he had more or less prepared himself,Klanu walked down the long twisting stairs to the common room. There he sought out the inkeeper who was busy polishing a goblet behind the smooth wooden counter. ''My friend is ill. Get a healer to see to him,will you?'' Digging in his pouch for some of the Keyre he had collected the previous day from the mayor,he slapped it down on the counter. ''For your trouble. My friend will give you more of that when he gets better.''

Now had come the part of his little appointment that he was dreading. The trip to the meeting spot on horse back was something Klanu had not been looking forward too. A passable rider at best,he had never really gotten used to the rocking motion of these odd,four legged beasts. So very different from the smooth,sinous grace of a noble Serpent. Now there was a steed that would he would have been more then eager to ride,he thought nostalgically,recollecting the giant snakes that his people had formed a sacred bond with. Ahh,how he wished he had a Serpent with him now,a loyal companion that would selflessly take an arow or sword blade for him if need be.

Reluctantly pushing that longing from his mind,he entered the stables and mounted his horse,a stolid brown gelding that was so unlike the fiery tempered little stallion that was Bryce's steed. A docile animal,it would not do anything to startle or terrorize it's rider. Even so,Klanu wished he could avoid doing any riding. The uncomfortable sensation in his stomach was quickly getting worse. A ride on a horse would do nothing to soothe it. On the other hand,walking was not an option. Already late,he had no desire to risk the ire of the mayor by letting his unsteady legs take their own sweet time in bringing him to the place where the mayor and the others probally waited impatiently.

Ten minutes later, Klanu arrived,gasping and panting. Pulling his horse  to a stop directly  beside that pale whipsnapper Coram and the little woman Ithascia,he slithered down from his saddle and slumped to his knees. His stomach finally revolted. The contents of last night's feast bubbled up and came gushing out in a powerful jet on Coram's boots. Mortified,Klanu looked up shakily at the outraged face of the boy(which by the way,now  had a most charming flush of red) and said shakily'' Just so you know,this is Bryce's fault''.
“I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak.” -Bill Watterson

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2005, 02:46:10 AM »
Jhandan and vomit don't go together well. Jhandan and large smelly men don't go together well either. Jhandan and the vomit of large smelly men is THE one thing you don't want to have happen to you in the morning.

I kept my composure, lept down from the saddle, and started to wipe my boots. "Indeed, the men where you come from let out more than wind out of their mouths. I must apologize, sincerely so."

I tuned to Itascia, the interruption having cured my little 'condition' more than well.
"Yes, Jhandan it is, and a lot of other stuff too." I had to smirk "Without it, I'd sleep all day... still growing, you know. Takes a lot of effort."
Patting my pouches, I explained:
"Jhandan, Yoruga, Gurmi, and a few more daily, Blerran once a week, so if one of the beasts would try to wolf me down, it might spoil it's stomach; once a month a Phoenix blossom, so if I die, there's nothing left to animate or possess..."
I grinned broadly: "Some of them don't taste too bad, but generally, it's a pain, especially the Phoenix."

I smiled at Itascia brightly, amused about myself ... theose smiles are the oly ones that I'm good at: "Any addictions of your own you wnat to tell me about?"

Offline Maggot

• Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Society Guild Elite Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: March 08, 2005, 03:34:00 AM »
That had gone better than he had expected. Just one cutting little verbal dagger from the boy. Not quite the fearsome barrage he had been bracing himself for. Either the boy was in a really good mood today,or he was just too engrossed in little Ithascia to let Klanu distract him from his quarry. More likely to be the latter,he thought with faint smile as he gripped the stirrups of his horse and pulled himself upright with his big right arm.

Ithascia was pretty enough in her own way,if not quite your conventional beauty and young Corram was at that charmingly foolish age where a young lad is obssesed with getting the loving little attentions of the fairer sex. The fact that Ithascia was not quite his age probally wouldn't deter him.  Well,time to give the two some time alone. He doubted that either of them would appreciate his company right now or at any other time for that matter. He hadn't quite impressed them with his ''I'm the tough warrior,so don't give me any lip''  outburst the previous day at the mayor's office. Of course,the brat had started it first. But somehow,he didn't expect Ithascia to see it that way. Women could be very biased sometimes. He had spent enought time living with them to learn that

Still nursing his aching head,he turned in Harshang's direction. As immaculately groomed as ever,the Southner seemed lost in some kind of trance,unpertubed by either Klanu's noisy arrival or his kind if unwilling decision to share some of last night's food from the feat with Ithascia and Coram. No way was he going to try and strike up a conversation with the man when it was obvious that he wanted to left alone.

It had been barely half of a Hulras(Snake Rider unit of time equal to an hour) since he had left the inn and he was already begining to miss Bryce. No one else wanted to have a friendly chat with him. At times like this,he missed the little man's warmth and friendliness. You never appreciate what you have until it's no longer around,he reflected somberly,recollecting those times Bryce's unceasing babble had nearly driven him out of his mind.

The Mayor. Maybe he was good for some conversation. From what he had observed yesterday,the ruler of Cudereim had seemed an affable enough fellow. Still nursing his throbbing head,Klanu walked over to where the man stood some distance away and tapped his shoulder. ''So,what do you think is responsibe for what we've seen? An angry god of nature,dark forces of evil or a crazed necromancer? I know you might dismiss such speculation as a waste of time,but I'd just like to hear your thoughts.'
“I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak.” -Bill Watterson

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
  • Awards 2013 Location of the Year Questor NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: March 08, 2005, 03:58:36 AM »
The mayor had been listening attentively to Corams words of beasts and things which would try to 'wolf him down', when Klanu tapped his shoulder. Leyri blinked once and shifted his gaze from the forest to the snake rider, attending his question before nodding faintly. "Many in the world don't believe in such things. Personally, I have travelled nearly all of this land - I've only been mayor of this town for a half-year - so my experiences force me to believe in what most would call 'legends' or 'myths'."
"Personally? I believe this forest to be home to something. Why it is suddenly here, I have no idea. What it is home to, I do not know, either. I entered the borders once, though. Just past the first row of trees - and it felt as though I were unwelcome, and should leave."
"I'm sure there is a logical explanation, somehow, but the mind does wander..."
Leyri shrugged faintly, shifting that lockbox to rest beside him.
Lazarus Lightward, Elite Diabolist of the Brotherhood - Level 3 Occultist
Deathpriest Noxx, Herald of Eternal Silence – Level 2 Necromancer
STR: 2 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 12 | INT: 13

Strolenite Relic, resurfaced.

Offline ScorpionJinx

• Knight
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: March 08, 2005, 11:53:40 AM »
Listening to Coram. She nodded as she listened, digging through one of her bags. Retrieving a small pouch of purple and green blossom like items were removed. One pulled out of the bag. A look to Coram for a moment. "i will be right back."

Carrying the item over to Klanu. Offering it to him. "Here, it will help ease the sickness you are feeling." Bai zhu was excellent for calming the stomach and easing the pain in one's head." A reassuring smile. Trying to be helpful. After giving him the item she returned to where Coram was to continue with their conversation.

"You consume such a deadly combination. It is a wonder that you are not dead." She knew that mix of herbs and such was almost a fatal combination. There were a rare few who could survive such a mix. And Itascia was not one of them.

"I use to have an addiction to Yan Hu Suo and Jhandan." That combination was dangerous, it over stressed the heart and could kill you. And it was an even harder addiction to get over. Mainly a mix used by preformers such as acrobats to keep up with the long strenous hours and lack of sleep.
Strolenite Lite ®©
Penguinati Acolyte

Offline Maggot

• Strolenati
  • King
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2005, 11:00:04 PM »
Klaun looked bemusedly at the little blossoms that Ithascia had handed him,then decided that he was supposed to chew them. Popping them into his mouth,he pulled a slight face. They were dry and tasteless,much like a mouthful of dust. Not that he wanted to complain. If they would help to ease this mother of all headaches,he would be a very grateful man.

Sure enough,they did. Within minutes,Klanu could feel the relentless pain in his head receeding a little. His stomach too had settled somewhat. Giving a little sigh of relief,he made up his mind to thank Ithascia for those herbs when she finally managed to tear herself away from young Coram. But  meanwhile,there was the mayor there for him to squeeze for more thoughts and suspicions.

''Home to something,eh? I hope it's not a dragon or some other dread beast that will decide to swallow the entire province with it's forest. Maybe it's just some woodland spirit that wants to reclaim a patch of forest that was razed to make way for farms. My people say all forests are home to such things. That's why we've always avoided entering them whenever possible.''

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
  • Awards 2013 Location of the Year Questor NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: March 11, 2005, 12:31:55 AM »
"What is a dragon?" Queried Leyri. He hadn't heard of such a thing before. Perhaps it was a myth of Klanu's people. Either way, the mayor shrugged faintly. "I don't see why some spirit would up and decide one day to take back farmland which has been created by humans for centuries. And I've not heard of any spirit - mythical or otherwise - with the ability to move so many trees around."

Offline ScorpionJinx

• Knight
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: March 11, 2005, 03:48:01 PM »
Since they would be waiting awhile for the others to arrive, Itascia decided to unshoulder the pack for a while. Removing it, she set the bag at her feet. Giving her left shoulder a brief rub. That pack was a bit heavy, but the items in it would hopefully be of use on this mission.

Looking to Coram. "By the way, thank you again for the bite of bacon." It was a small piece but had satisfied that sudden craving for protein. Sometimes dried fruit and nuts were not a filling breakfast.

She knelt down a moment and rummaged through her pack once more. Sorting through the pouches of herbs and roots. Finding the one she was looking for after a few minutes. One of the leaves was removed. Folded into halves a few times before the popped it into her mouth.

She then closed the pouch and placed it back into the pack once more. Closing everything up. Chewing lightly on the leaf. A eucalyptus leaf most likely. Something to soothe her throat. It was starting to feel a bit scratchy again. Atleast it didnt hurt so much anymore. More of a dull ache now from time to time, like if she inhaled too deeply.

Eventually Itascia would make some herbal elixirs instead of relying on the herbs in their natural form. But until she was content with what she had. Besides elixir bottles could be accidently broken, and some of those things you would not want to mix. Dried herbs and roots were easier to contend with when you traveled.

A glance towards Klanu. Noting that his color was better. It seemed that he had partaken of the Bai zhu. Good. From  the looks of it, the bai zhu was already working to make him better.Pleased that the herb was helping him. Knowing that being sick,or hungover, was not a pleasant feeling. Especially when it was accompanied by vomitting. Besides, an upset and unsettled stomach did not go well with traveling. Though a strangely amusing thought did come to mind, it would have been funny if it didnt seem mean to think such a thing. Her attention then went back to Coram once more.

That almost amusing thought still lingered in her mind, as mean as it was though. ~Well if we are beset by some monster..he could always throw up on them and that might scare it away.~ Joking about some one being ill was just wrong. Plain and simple. No, she would not share that thought with anyone else. Erasing it from her own mind. No more picking at these people she was traveling with. No more ill thoughts and little humorous things. After all she might have to rely on them to get her out of danger at some point. Silently she could not help but wonder what they thought of her. A nuisance, most likely. A simpering useless female... but she was use to people feeling that way about her. Weather they were from the North or from the South.
Strolenite Lite ®©
Penguinati Acolyte

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2005, 11:40:12 AM »
I turned to the mayor, my features serious: "So you have not heard of such a thing - that does not mean it is impossible. For example, in the Year of Red Stars, a demon infested the crops of Beyrnel, a hamlet of five hundred souls. After they have dined on the first bread baked of it, they were changed into unholy shrubs. Only a priest who was fasting escaped to tell the story... Or in the Year of the Molten Serpent, the holy oak of Danvar was possessed by a demonic entity, whereupon it commanded the other sacred trees to strangle the villagers, and it has smitten those who fled with sorcerous lightning...."
Looking at the mayor, not certain what I was hoping to find, I added: "What unusual sights or omens have you seen, not including the appearance of this forest? Strange lights in the sky, weird births, ... anything?"

Uncertainty. Most unpleasant.What would await us under those shadowy boughs? I'd love to have at least a marginal outline of what might have moved so many trees, so ancient and twisted, into the midst of a flourishing country.

Offline ScorpionJinx

• Knight
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2005, 12:52:25 PM »
Itascia listened intently. These things would probably prove to be quite valueble bits of knowledge. Sadly amongst this group she would likely be the most ignorant of super natural things. She had never encounter the strange and unusual. Which some may consider a blessing.

Her attention shifted to the Mayor as well. Omens and signs, if she ever saw them in her travels then most likely she was unable to see them for what they were. A slight frown formed as she began to think things over. Stealing, jumps and flips, and medicine...pretty much the only things that had played an important role in her life. Never one for superstitions or religion. In the life that she had growing up, one needed to remain practical. Focus on what was right before your eyes.

Itascia thought to ask something then. Something that had come to mind. Maybe the answer had already been said at some other point and she had missed it. Either way she was going to ask. "How many have gone in there...and how many have come back?"

The answer may help them to guage their odds of surviving this. What things awaited them in there? How many lives had this forest consumned since it's arrival? No matter what happened, no matter what they might encounter in there, her fellow travelers could count on her to do her best. She would guard their backs, as she hoped they would guard her's.
Strolenite Lite ®©
Penguinati Acolyte

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
    • Awards
« Reply #89 on: March 12, 2005, 07:14:34 PM »
Leyri watched Coram intensly as the tales of demons were related, and gave his head a faint shake, "I am not as ignorant as you may believe in such matters, Coram - though that is not something I wish to discuss at the current point of time. All I can say, is that in all the knowledge I can gather, I've never heard of such a large-scale action. This far exceeds the Beyrnel plight, or the fallen oak of Danvar. And no - I've not been aware of anything out of the ordinary. But if there WAS something out of the ordinary, no doubt it would have occured closer to the center of where the forest arose. Cuedrim isn't the target of this thing, it just happened to be on the edge."
"I've heard of only four enter deep into the forest in all the weeks it has been here, Itascia, but of those four, none have yet returned. They left of their own accord, however, and not at the same time. You will hopefully have a party at your back."

Offline ScorpionJinx

• Knight
    • Awards
« Reply #90 on: March 13, 2005, 10:07:01 AM »
Itascia nodded as Mayor Leyri answered her question. Moving over to a peaceful spot to sit, dragging her pack with her. She was seated, her back leaned up against the pack. Her attention having been drawn to the forest. There was a strong chance that they four who went in there were still traveling. Perhaps.  There was also the chance that they were dead, and their group would possibly come across their bodies as they entered the forest and moved deeper into it's bowels.

A forest just simply does not appear over night. Not by any naturals means. And it was doubtful that these trees uprooted themselves and walked here. And by what force or reason did the trees stop here? And why had Falamir and Uldama been engulfed by this?

Hopefully they would find the answers to these questions. Remembering that yesterday Mayor Leyri had stated that he believed that Uldama to be the at the heart of this forest. The center is usually where such events spiraled out from. And most likely that would be where they would find the answers. She wondered if the people in those towns were still alive. And how they would manage to escort them all back safely.

If they did find survivors, how many would refuse to come with them? How many would rather stay trapped in those towns instead of braving the forest? Probably many from Falamir and Uldama had already braved the forest and had become lost. Or worse, dead.

The leaves in her mouth soon became bitter. They were now a sufficiently mushed bit of pulp. A bit of cloth was removed from her pocket. And the green wad was deposited into it. The fabric was folded and placed back into her pocket. The water skin lifted and the cork removed. A brief drink was taken. The skin recorked and returned to her side.

Itascia studied the woods still. Realizing that most likely she would be one of the ones to climb up into the high branches of the tree to see if she could spot signs of life from Falamir once they began to draw closer to that town. Perhaps smoke from a chimney, or a flag of some sort.
Strolenite Lite ®©
Penguinati Acolyte

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: March 13, 2005, 03:02:37 PM »
Hashang opened his eyes abruptly, banishing meditative dreams of enlightenment.
"Have any heard the tales of the Mindful Forest?" he said, startlingly ending any illusions as to his continuing stupor. "It is not... strictly relevant; a legend told among my people."

There was a pause.

"Mindful Forest is a god who made a bet with Urushkli, the God of Mirrors. Mindful Forest was a good gambler, and knew that he would win against even the God of Mirrors, but he disregarded the tales of Urushkli's trickery, and thus he lost, for the God of Mirrors decieved him and won the bet, and thus won Mindful Forest's daughter for his wife.
Urushkli, when he had gotten her with child, ran away with her dowry and all their belongings. Mindful Forest became so angry that he left Heaven to search for Urushkli, and while he was outside the gates, the God of Mirrors fastened them shut and took Mindful Forest's belongings for his own as well.
Thus, Mindful Forest spends all of his days wandering the mortal land as a great silent forest who is so angry that it tears apart those who wander into it."

Hard eyes were turned towards the eerie trunks of the forest. Hashang stood up and breathed in deeply.

"When do we depart?" he said, voice colored with impatience.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2005, 03:53:01 PM »
Timber stood still, catching the scent the wind bore from the ominous forest. A low growl escaped his throat, confirming my worries - he had a better nose for things thatwere not of this world, with me on Jhandan or not.

I calmed him with a soothing cuddle: "I wish I could calm people like this... or myself."

Turning to my companions, I looked for signsof uneasiness. "Itascia,are you certain? There is no shame if you don't want in...."

Offline ScorpionJinx

• Knight
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: March 13, 2005, 06:26:55 PM »
Her attention shifted from the woods upon hearing her name. Itascia looked to Coram. A nod of her head given. "I am going. I have already given my word and accepted partial payment." She was trying to live an honest life now.

She watched as he cuddled his furry companion. "I have come this far, I will not turn back now." Hopefully she was making the right choice. Itascia was very slightly uneasy about all of this. But she had already made up her mind.

She had sealed her fate when she had accepted and spent part of that money/ It would be wrong for her to have just taken the money and run. She may have been a thief, but she did have some sense of honor.

A slight smile, one that was almost mischievious, formed. "Besides, who knows what trouble you might get into without me." Trying to lighten the moment a little. Her attention drifted back to the forest for a moment. Not liking the ominous feeling that she got from it.

Itascia looked from Hashang, to Klanu, then finally settled upon Coram once more. Four of them had arrived. Though five were stuck waiting. No doubt Klanu's red-haired companion would not be joining them. But what of the other three? Had the forest frightened them away? Or were they still sleeping? Who knows.
Strolenite Lite ®©
Penguinati Acolyte

Offline Maggot

• Strolenati
  • King
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: March 13, 2005, 09:59:28 PM »
Klanu shivered as he gazed at the dark brooding mass of the forest. ''Who knows? There might be some tuth to the old legend of Harshang's. Or maybe not. One way or the other,we'll find out. To be honest though,I'm not too keen on finding out. I mean why disturb the dark thing that is responsible for the sudden appearance of this forest? But I accepted this challenge together with Bryce and I will answer it,even if Bryce won't be there to protect me with his blade. All men die as the Gods decree and if it's my fate to die in that forest,then so be it. All the same,I'll find myself missing Bryce's company.  The Gods know,his never ending chatter was always a small price to pay for that deadly sword arm of his. If it wasn't obvious back then,it sure is now. Still,if Bryce recovers quickly,he'll probally try to meet up with us at some point.'''

He shook his head and gaves a little sigh. ''Poor Bryce. Is there anything he wouldn't he give to be with us right now? Wish I could say I felt the same. If Greyson,Aurakh and that woman Miranda decided that they're really not up to journeying to what might be their deaths,I won't judge them.''

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator Elite Systems Guild Elite Plot Guild
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #95 on: March 15, 2005, 03:46:34 PM »
Aurakh emerged from the shadows of the forest. He had skirted alongside its edge the entire morning, ever since he left Greyson snoring in the room next door at the inn. The whore was long gone, but his pouch had remained; there were telltale signs of her searching for it, and of her increasing frustration while doing so. But she had only found the money he left for her; the exact payment she demanded in the first place.

As Aurakh closed in on the would be heroes, he kicked a stone towards the forest. He had no luck at all while hunting along the borders of the forest, a fact that unsettled him more than a little. That was why his slingbag now was filled with dried meat, nuts and raisins, dried roots and other travelling fare bought at the local general shop. He had also bought a new, sturdy axe and a thick oiled hide, for use during heavy storms and torrential rain.

Looking slightly pale from yesterdays beer binge, Aurakh stopped in front of Mayor Leyri and nodded. "Greyson will probably arrive soon, he cannot possibly be that exhausted despite the fact that he entered his room with more women than I can handle." Aurakh laughed and beamed a smile to those present.

"Mayor. I am concerned by the fact that I find little game along the borders of this forest. What can you tell me of animal life within the forest? And what about humans? Is there much traffic to and fro the woods? I apologize if you have already answered the question, but this forest is unlike any I have seen before"
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Gold Creator 10 Elite Questor Elite Systems Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2005, 03:55:29 PM »
"I can trust you to keep things in order for a while?" Greyson asked the youth. The young man nodded with a hint of anxiety, he was barely old enough to shave and the village knew, as well it should, he was a local.

"Yes sir..." he said, "I wont let you down."

"Good." Greyson said, gathering the reins of his horse, patting her on the nose with the palm of his hand. She was already saddled, and his supplies were packed away in her saddlebags. Plenty of water, flour and a stout iron pan, dried fruits and salted pork and beef, just for variety. A good solider knew that he marched on his stomach and not his feet. "It is getting late and the mayor may think that I have taken his money and run. Remember how little mercenaries are trusted before you decide to become one yourself, Kirke."

"I understand sir..." the young man said, saluting with a fist to his heart.

Greyson lead Amie, the mare, to the place where the mayor waited in the company of the lithe thief, the southerner, and the Serpent rider warrior, as well as the nervous ranger. He carried himself with the relaxed air of a seasoned campaigner, which he was. He had not fought any demons, and catching the last part of the conversation of possessed grain, and strangling trees was disconcerting to say the least.

"Good morning to you all." he said, saluting the mayor as the man was also technically, as his employer, his superior.

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
    • Awards
« Reply #97 on: March 15, 2005, 06:51:07 PM »
At Aurakh's question and arrival, Leyri stood and tore his gaze from the forest, nodding faintly to the man in greeting, "The townsfolk - as I - have heard the howling of wolves within the forest, as well as several varieties of birds. Some which are known to us, and others which arent. Apart from that, I don't believe anyone has seen any creatures. Perhaps they have yet to catch up with the forest? As for humans, as I was telling Itascia, There have been only four that i'm aware of that have entered. There may have been more that went in without any townsfolks knowledge, but we have no way of knowing that."

As the sound of horses hooves on the rough path became apparant, the mayor turned to see Greyson approach. "Ah, and I was beginning to think you had hung your tail between your legs and left the opposite direction, Greyson!" Leyri's tone was, of course, mocking in nature - Past dealings with the man had proved him to be a reliable sort. "Well, I suppose this is all we can wait for. Perhaps Miranda will turn up late and catch up with you all. Even still..." Leyri switched a latch in the lockbox in his hands and opened it up. What was revealed inside was a felt-lined interior, and resting on the base was a miniature figurine. disc-like in shape, about 3 centimeters in diameter and a half a centimeter in thickness, this object had an imprint on either side of it. On one side was an image of blackened, spiked shackles and chains, and on the other side, a similar image, except the chains were broken - shattered. The disc was suspended on a small, leather strap, allowing it to be hung over the neck like a necklace. "In my travels I came across this trinket, and though I've yet to find its purpose, I know it has a use. I'm compelled now, to hand this to you all - I trust it to Greysons hand now, simply because I know him more than the others here, and know he will heed my words. Don't misplace it. If you lose it, risk your life to regain it. If it is stolen from you all, forfeit the thiefs life to collect it. This may sound foolish to you all now, but trust me." Leyri removed the coin from its case and extended it to Greyson. In the mercenaries hand the coin felt dead.

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Gold Creator 10 Elite Questor Elite Systems Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #98 on: March 16, 2005, 03:54:24 PM »
Closing his hand around the metal coin, Greyson imagined this was how a riverstone from Styx might weigh in the hand. The mayor wasnt the sort to make outrageous demands, so his warning was dually noted. "I'm sorry that I was late, I was giving final instructions to Deputy Kirke for the disposition of the town guard until my return, or lack of." Greyson said.

"The watch will be kept with the same patrols, and Kirke suggested building a palisade around the town. Its not a bad idea, but that would be quite formally your decision to make." The mercenary said, a hint of irritation in his voice. There was no escaping the stigma of his profession, a mercenary was a mercenary no matter how much good he did.

"If this is all that is going perhaps we should head out. There is a good deal of unfamiliar terrain between us and Uldama."

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Maggot

• Strolenati
  • King
    • Awards
« Reply #99 on: March 16, 2005, 10:50:18 PM »
''That coin,is it magic?'',Klanu asked the mayor,in an awed tone. There was something special about that coin,he was sure. The mayor obviously thought it valuble,even priceless. He had asked them to guard it with the deep concern that most men would have reserved for the safety of their sons.

Magic. Sorcery. The two words kept ringing over and over in his head. Like all of his people,he feared and respected this arcane force,that among their people,was the sole preserve of the priests and priestesses. Magic marked you forever,they were in the habit of saying,those wise ones. All of them would be changed for good,he suddenly knew. Nothing would ever be the same for any of them again,if they lived through this perilous venture.

Authentic Strolenite®©