llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: [Terenis] Foreboding Forest  (Read 23677 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
  • Awards 2013 Location of the Year Questor NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
[Terenis] Foreboding Forest
« Reply #150 on: April 07, 2005, 07:59:04 PM »
Time and the human touch of his comrades caused the calm to eventually set in to Klanu, and as the smell of the salted pork filled the air, all forgot their dreams in time. Barring Hashang. The darkness of the pre-dawn gave way to the faint light of the early morning sun, and the supplies were packed, ready for another day of travelling. If all goes as planned, the town of Falamir should be within their sights by dusk.

The songbirds were chirping and the forest noises were as usual today, and yet this time the forest appeared to be less... friendly. Though it could not be explained, it felt as though they were now in uninvited territory. There were signs of usual forest activity throughout the night. A couple small footprints of nocturnal creatures. A broken twig, here and there. One thing which would stand out to Hashang, however, is a single, clearly defined pawprint marked in the direct middle of the road ahead of them of a canine.

-- Meanwhile --

Leyri awoke with a start, blinking several times and glancing around. As usual, he was at the border of the forest, staring in, and he must have fallen asleep. It was still dark in Cuedrim - the sun had not yet arisen over the trees. To his left, the man saw three dark figures moving swiftly into the forest.
Standing quickly, the Mayor of Cuedrim looked around to see another figure running toward him: a local guard.
"Sir! We have a problem! The trio you had arrested for attempting to hang foreigners? They've escaped..."
Leyri's eyes widened at this information, and he glanced towards the place where he saw three figures running into the forest, before moving swiftly towards the holding cells, "How did this happen?!"
"We don't know, sir. It was odd... Myself and another were guarding the entrance to the cells. A stray dog walked in and we shooed it out, but when we turned back, the prisoners were GONE! The cell was still locked. They were there one second and gone the next!"
The pair turned into the quiet street which harbored the holding cells. In the middle of the otherwise dark and empty street, a grey canine walked slowly across. "There! That's the dog!"
At the sound of the guards voice, the animal paused in its tracks and glanced up to the two, staring at them for a long while, causing Leyri and the guard to stop dead in their tracks. The dog moved once again, walking off the other side of the street and disappearing casually down an alleyway.
The dogs eyes were pupil-less, and a soulless white.
--
Lazarus Lightward, Elite Diabolist of the Brotherhood - Level 3 Occultist
Deathpriest Noxx, Herald of Eternal Silence – Level 2 Necromancer
STR: 2 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 12 | INT: 13

Strolenite Relic, resurfaced.

Offline ScorpionJinx

• Knight
    • Awards
« Reply #151 on: April 08, 2005, 11:52:26 AM »
Itascia sat in silence, nibbling on a bit of dried fruit, patiently waiting on the salted pork to be ready. Every so often she would stir the small pot of grains she had started. Some water and just a touch of salt to soften the grains a bit more. They would be ready soon. It would be like oatmeal.

Stirring it a bit more she cut up some dried fruit into it. Hopefully the others had brought something to eat off of. If not, she had a bowl and a cup. But most travelers were wise enough to have at least a bowl on them. Some salted pork and some 'oatmeal' were a good way to start the morning. It was just enough for them all to have a portion, but not to be overly full.

Carefully she moved it from the fire. Stirring it more. Letting it thicken and cool a bit. "Everyone is welcomed to have some. I made enough for all of us." Any left over, she could add alittle flour to and reheat, it would cook into a cake like consistency.

She went to say something but stopped as an eerie feeling passed over her. What many referred to as the feel of someone walking over your grave. She shivered briefly then rubbed her arms. Trying to get the goosebumps to fade. What did it mean? She did not and could not know. At least not yet.

Three of the ones who had tried to kill her earlier where now free and in the woods. Would they be hunting Itascia and those she traveled with? Or were they merely fleeing from the law? It was best if she didnt know about that now. None in their group knew. After breakfast they would most likely continue on their way.

Itascia then turned her attention to Coram and Klanu. "How are you doing Klanu?"
If found, please return to Sender.
Strolenite Lite ®©
Penguinati Acolyte

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Item Guild Elite Plot Guild Elite Systems Guild
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #152 on: April 09, 2005, 12:49:50 AM »
Aurakh ate his morning meal in silence. There was not much to be said, everyone had slept poorly, and was probably tired. If this continued they would become exhausted before long.

Perhaps the young demon hunter has some charms and wards against troubled sleep. I wouldn't mind dreaming about something else for a while. I am tired of being haunted by the sins of the past, or maybe it is as the Shaman said... Tanora won't let me rest until I have paid for what I did, to her, and to the others... What I did...

Shaking his head and wiping the moisture from his eyes, Aurakh stopped daydreaming before the unpleasant memories got too strong. Sighing, he finished his food and arose. "I will scout ahead. We should reach the first town by nightfall. I won't enter that town but will head back to you to report what I can spy within it's streets... I half expect something horrible, for this forest is not what it seems... Or maybe it is my imagination" Aurakh shrugged and looked at Greyson, "If there is anything you want me to look out for, let me know. I will scout at the sides and in front of you. If anything comes from behind, I won't be able to warn you. And... If you hear a hunting horn being blown three times I need immediate aid". Aurakh crouched down and began packing his equipment.

And if you don't hear more than one or two blasts, I will probably be dead already.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Systems Guild Gold Creator 10 Elite Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #153 on: April 10, 2005, 09:20:19 AM »
"I think you can continue scouting as you have been. I dont want to tell you to look out for something and face the chance that you miss a real threat because it isnt something I mentioned." Greyson said, chewing on a piece of the salt pork before helping himself to some of Itascia's porridge.

"We are all tired, and strung out from our piss-poor sleep. I would suggest that we do something to alleviate our frustration. If I was still in the King's army, I would order an hour of weapon's practice to loosen everyone up. This isnt the army, and I dont give orders. I just make very good suggestions." he said with a half-hearted smile.

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Maggot

• Insectoid Horror Of Canberra
  • Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Society Guild Elite Society Guild Locations Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #154 on: April 10, 2005, 11:00:48 AM »
''That would be welcome''' Klanu answered quietly,breaking the unnerving silence he had been mantaining since his tortured sleep of last night. It had been as if a smothering trance of some kind had been put on him by an omnipotent,maloveant power,stifling all his attempts to free himself from the dark mood it had plunged him into. But now, just when his companions had probably begun to despair of him ever recovering from his dream ordeal,he had snapped out of it.

''Yes,weapons practice would be sweet indeed.'' This time there was a definate edge of menace in his voice. ''I want to be so quick to draw my axe,that when the foul things hiding in this accursed forest in this forest finally decide to show their ugly heads,I can send them to hell where they belong. That will teach them not to mess with my head again.''
“I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak.” -Bill Watterson

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Systems Guild Gold Creator 10 Elite Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #155 on: April 10, 2005, 06:27:58 PM »
"That's the spirit," Greyson said, finishing off his bowl of porridge. "We wont use real weapons, that way no one gets hurt and when the real deal hits, our weapons will still be sharp and ready. One of the most versatile and overlooked weapons is the staff, and it is a good one to train with. A few shafts of wood a pace or two long..." Greyson said.

"Of course, I would let everyone finish eating their breakfasts, and then perhaps we can pair off, with someone moderating. We dont want any lost tempers to result in blood." Greyson said. "But, until the others are ready, Klanu, the two of us, and maybe Aurak can see about finding some suitable staves."

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Item Guild Elite Plot Guild Elite Systems Guild
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #156 on: April 10, 2005, 06:39:04 PM »
Aurakh stared at the grizzled mercenary and then his eyes drifted to the huge barbarian, Klanu. Shaking his head in disbelief he shrugged. "I am an archer and a scout, no soldier, and I suspect I will be thoroughly beaten. But by the spirits, this sounds like a good distraction" Aurakh said. Having finally packed his slingbag, he put it against the trunk of the tree and walked into the bushes with his knife drawn.

A minute later he came out of the forest, carrying two solid staffs made of the reddish brown tree known as Redshade. Smiling he approached Klanu and Greyson, handing them each their staff. "You two begin, I can fight the winner" he said smiling.

Perhaps when Klanu is tired, I can run around him and exhaust him. Perhaps when his swings are weaker I stand a chance. I wouldn't last two seconds against him now.

Smiling Aurakh sat down outside the warding circle. "You fight within the circle, okay?" he said. Already the dreams were forgotten and the mysteriously disappearing wolf of yesterday was but a faint memory.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Maggot

• Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Society Guild Elite Society Guild Locations Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #157 on: April 10, 2005, 09:20:52 PM »
''Certainly. We wouldn't be foolish enough  to stray out of its protective embrace.''

With these words,Klanu adopted a fighting stance and begun to twirl the staff in his big hands with an easy grace. From the way he handled it,one couldn't be blamed for thinking that the staff was an incredibilly light weapon for its size.

''Ready to face me,Greyson?''
“I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak.” -Bill Watterson

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline ScorpionJinx

• Knight
    • Awards
« Reply #158 on: April 10, 2005, 09:34:00 PM »
Itascia sat eatting a bit of the porridge she had made. Chewing on some softened dried fruit. Finishing the bite she had. "You will have to forgive me if I decline to participate. It would be unfair to squash me like a bug." She knew that she didnt really stand a chance against any of them here. And she wasnt going to fool herself into thinking otherwise.

Making no mentions of how she had slept. Of all of them, she was the only one who seemed to have gotten any rest. No strange visions or haunting images. Just a few brief memories and then nothing. Most likely she was the lucky one. Despite being rested she had no intentions of squaring off against one of them. Not even Coram.
Strolenite Lite ®©
Penguinati Acolyte

Offline EchoMirage

• Caffeinated Alcoholic Blood
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Golden Creator NPC Guild Master Questor Elite Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #159 on: April 11, 2005, 04:41:14 AM »
Nights usually make me hungry... a lot. But this one has been far worse - I gobbled up my breakfast right from the saddlebags.
Taking my medicines, I watched as Klanu and Greyson were preparing for their sparing - very curiously. Even when it was not my time to train, I had watched Jared do his exercise... hoping that one day I'd approach his skill.

I sat down next to Itascia, wolfing down my second helping, and tried to speakthrough the last bite: "Count me in!"

I wondered whether they understood, so I waved my hand, and made a few punching motions, then pointing at myself, all while trying to swallow.

If no foe killed me, my eating habits surely would.
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Authentic Strolenite (though spanked) (C) (R)

Offline ScorpionJinx

• Knight
    • Awards
« Reply #160 on: April 11, 2005, 12:23:59 PM »
"He wishes to spar as well. Either that or something about him fighting with that last mouthful." She was teasing of course. She knew what Coram meant.  Itascia sighed, eatting another bite of porridge. Something then coming to mind.

"Gentlemen, please refrain from tossing and throwing one another, I know it may become tempting. But dont." She then added the reason why, "You've just ate and it would be a waste of you over did it physically and threw up." Just alittle common sense. Though most likely they would stick to staff fighting for now.

Just wait until the tempers started to flare. Then the match would become more interesting. Truely she wasnt into sparring. She was no where near their levels. And it would be a waste of time. That and she had no desire to be bruised. Itascia rifled through her pack again, finding the oinement she was looking for. A thick salve with no scent. Taking up some with her fingertips, rubbing in carefuly into her neck. More of her bruises had faded, the salve soothed the dry skin and the rope burns. After finishing with her neck she proceeded to rub the same salve into her wrists.

Itascia then closed the small jar and then placed it back into her bag. She looked to Coram. "Careful, it would be terrible if you choked."
Strolenite Lite ®©
Penguinati Acolyte

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #161 on: April 11, 2005, 04:37:16 PM »
Greyson hefted the shaft of redshade, feeling its weight, and its flex. It was a good start, but it would have to be properly aged and oiled, so the wood might dry out and become more rigid. Of course, they didnt have the luxury of waiting two or three months for that so the staves would do nicely. Besides, no one was trying to kill one another.

"Most people have a misconception," Greyson said, looking towards Itascia, "That muscle is required to fight. While some is needed, only massive weapons like a maul or a morningstar require the wielder to be as muscled as my opponent." he said with a note of respect in his voice. "Some of the best stavefighters I have ever trained were women who were interested in making sure their homes werent burned down by pillaging orcs."

"The key is speed and control. Attacking is good, but you also need to know how to defend yourself..." Greyson said, lifting his staff into trailing side stance, the middle of the staff near his hip with an equal length pointing forward and slightly up, the rear trailing behind, and slightly down.

"If you are ready."

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Golden Creator NPC Guild Master Questor Elite Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #162 on: April 11, 2005, 05:21:14 PM »
I watched their stances, how they held their crude weapons and tried to evaluate them... certainly, the way Greyson held his stave showed that no weapon was foreign to his hand. He stood in balance, ready to leap or step aside. Klanu, on the other hand, looked like he was going to launch the first few attacks - but he'd better not be too eager, lest he'd end up on his belly, his behind spanked by Greyson.

I had to chuckle, more than a little, and almost choked.

Having finished that last troublesome bite, I turned to Itascia: "If sparring with staves is not for you, I can teach you a different way, not using any weapons at all... you simply put one arm behind your back, and try to pat your partner with the other one, while he tries to do the same, blocking your pats, or dodging."

I grinned: "Certainly, I have fond memories of my trainings - when Jared smacked me repeatedly across the face, or tossed me into mud, I was red with anger and humility, yet did not yield until once, at least once, I managed to land a hit too."
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Offline ScorpionJinx

• Knight
    • Awards
« Reply #163 on: April 11, 2005, 10:31:46 PM »
Itascia raised a brow at his suggestion. "Sounds like a good start." Nodding her head. Setting her bowl to the side. She was done with her porridge anyways. "Left or right?"

Rising to her feet, dusting off her clothes she looked to Greyson. "No offense Greyson, but I am lousy with staves. I tried it once, had shiner for days."

She then turned her attention back to Coram. "So the object is to pat the other person. Interesting." She nodded. "Sounds simple enough. Where shall we practice?"
Strolenite Lite ®©
Penguinati Acolyte

Offline Maggot

• Strolenati
  • King
    • Awards
« Reply #164 on: April 11, 2005, 11:46:27 PM »
Klanu nodded. ''I am,Greyson.''

Then he lunged at Greyson,the staff in his hands make a whizzing sound as it slashed through the air,the formidable strength in Klnau's powerful arms driving it in a swift arc towards the right leg of Greyson.

Klanu knew that if the hit struck true,Greyson would be out.  Even though he was trying to refrain from using his full strength out of concern for the aging merc's safety,it was still was doubtful that Greyson would be able to continue battling after one of his legs had been hit with a strong blow.

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Maggot

• Strolenati
  • King
    • Awards
« Reply #165 on: April 11, 2005, 11:46:58 PM »
Klanu nodded. ''I am,Greyson.''

Then he lunged at Greyson,the staff in his hands make a whizzing sound as it slashed through the air,the formidable strength in Klanu's powerful arms driving it in a swift arc towards the right leg of Greyson.

Klanu knew that if the hit struck true,Greyson would be out.  Even though he was trying to refrain from using his full strength out of concern for the aging merc's safety,it still was doubtful that Greyson would be able to continue battling after one of his legs had been hit with a such punishing blow.

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #166 on: April 12, 2005, 01:29:29 PM »
"Let us not forget that we are in hostile territory" Aurakh smiled and looked at Coram and Itaschia, Greyson and Klanu. Nodding to Hashang he said "I will keep lookout for enemies and stray spirits. Enjoy the fights southerner". Aurakh flipped his hunting knife into the air, it spinned there for a scant second before it fell back into the hands of the tracker, it's leatherbound yarang hardwood handle cold against Aurakh's skin.

Tanora my true love, Embra my forbidden desire, with this knife I will remedy the wrong that I caused you. With this knife I will carve you a Spirit Medallion to repay my debt.

Picking up his quiver and the composite bow, Aurakh disappeared into the foliage without a sound.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #167 on: April 12, 2005, 03:23:19 PM »
Greyson rocked back on his heels, using the leverage of his body swing the shorter length of staff to meet Klanu's strike. He rotated, catching the serpent rider's staff and redirecting the swing slightly. The end of the staff struck the ground with great force, at which Greyson spun his staff, accelerating from the strike, towards the giant warrior.

"The staff is a snake that can bite from both ends." he said, the smell of redshade strong, the warrior looking at the end of the mercenarie's staff inches from his face.

"Well done, I am glad you didnt try to pull your strike." Greyson commended the warrior. "That would mean you didnt respect me as a warrior. Strength and honor, eh?"

Offline Maggot

• Strolenati
  • King
    • Awards
« Reply #168 on: April 12, 2005, 11:15:06 PM »
''The warrior's code,Greyon'' Klanu answered a little shakily,clearly stunned by Gryson's swift parry and his equally fast counter-strike.

''I didn't want you to think that I saw you as a feeble old man. And by the Gods,was I right to respect you as a worthy adversary. I swear I've never seen anyone move so quickly to parry a blow. Bryce himself,easily the most peerless swordsman I have ever seen,would find himself hard pressed to get a decisive strike past your guard.

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline ScorpionJinx

• Knight
    • Awards
« Reply #169 on: April 13, 2005, 04:48:11 AM »
Itascia thought about it for a few minutes. Watching Greyson and Klanu. Staves didnt seem like that bad of an idea, the more she thought about it. If anyone wanted to get somewhere in the world...they had to grow strong. And you didnt get stronger by playing it safe all of the time.

While waiting for Coram to pick a spot Itascia went about stretching a bit. Her arms and back popped several times. Stretching her legs abit. This was sparring, no reason to not limber p a bit before hand. It was mainly out of old habit.

Itascia placed her right hand behind her back. She was ambidextrous, but preffered to her right hand. Having decided to spar with her left hand, what some might consider the weaker hand just becuase she did not use it as often. Practice practice practice. Only through doing, will one learn anything and grow as a person. Besides, bruises could be dealt with. And sore muscles could be tended to.

Thinking it over a bit more, she lowered the hand from behind her back. Looking to Coram, a slightly mischievious smile upon her face. "How about we makes things a bit more interesting. How are you at hand to hand combat?" Remembering the spars when she was still in the troupe. The matches against her father and some of the others. She held her own pretty good. The only reason she got strung up by that one bunch was becuase they had caught her off guard. A mistake she will try to not let happen again. Remain aware of your surroundings as best you can. Even while in foreign territory.
Strolenite Lite ®©
Penguinati Acolyte

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #170 on: April 13, 2005, 03:35:45 PM »
"The staff, Klanu, is a humble weapon. Nothing more than a stick. But, it is fast, and it has a long reach. Many a swordsman, cocky with his own skill has lost his blade unexpectedly against a staff. The swordsman Phelan the Red, who fought over fifty duels with the sword, only lost one, and that one was to a farmer with a length of stout hickory." Greyson said, even though tales of Phelan the Red wandered from historical to patent fiction. Still, it could be a useful fiction.

"You have a great amount of strength, and with a suitable staff, you could worry even the foundations of a castle, my friend." Greyson said with a laugh. "Among mercenaries we have an expression. You never know a man until you fight him."

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #171 on: April 13, 2005, 04:55:18 PM »
Hashang sneered.
What sniveling footle, what a bitter platter of idiocy. Barely-restrained mockery splashed upon his tongue like acid.
The honor of a warrior? It was honorable of a warrior to survive. In battle there could be no honor or justice- one had to fight for sheer existence. It was you or your enemy, and to have a living enemy was unacceptable.

He turned his back upon the fight and set to polishing and sharpening his shliktmu-sword.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #172 on: April 26, 2005, 02:45:44 AM »
Shifting my attention from Klanu's and Greyson's sparring, I turned to Itascia again.
"I can't say that I'm a wrestler worth a peeny. My tutors, and me likewise, have seen little use in that. I know a few strikes to send a man to the ground, and the basics of defense not to get hit, but generaly, I prefer 'these' "...  I patted my swords. "Or, if for some reason I should not use them, I will just punch or kick here.. or here..." pointing at the eyes, throat, solar plexus, and the crotch "or break anarm or the like. Call me unsubtle, if you will."

Putting muy left arm behind my back, I adopted a fencing stance and asked: "Ready?"

Offline ScorpionJinx

• Knight
    • Awards
« Reply #173 on: April 27, 2005, 09:08:36 PM »
Itascia raised a brow slightly. Who said anything about wrestling? Taking a readied fighting stance, her right hand behind her back. Facing Coram. "I'm ready."Taking a few steps to the right, keeping a careful eye on him.

Wondering who should make the first move. Knowing that Coram had taken his herbs, and would most likely have the advantage. "What is the goal again?"
Strolenite Lite ®©
Penguinati Acolyte

Offline EchoMirage

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
    • Awards
« Reply #174 on: May 01, 2005, 01:12:38 AM »
"As I said - slap me like I was your ex..."