llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Futuristic world with Dragons?  (Read 2159 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline DragonRhapsody

• Pink Bunny Love
  • Apprentice
  • The Force of the Bunny is strong in this one...
    • DragonRhapsody.com
    • Awards
Futuristic world with Dragons?
« on: May 24, 2006, 09:09:37 PM »
So, I have this idea, because I really want to write about my Dragon character, Rhapsody {yes, his name is based off my name, or vise-versa}; but the problem is that most stories with Dragons are based in medieval times.

I'm wondering if anyone has any comments on some story plots and ideas I had for the "origins" of the Dragons in a futuristic setting....

- Dragons are genetically modified creatures. {The two reasons I thought they might be 'created' were: by accident and then used for gaming, or the rich as large pets, or even as really cheap slaves for companies or wars; or they were created for specifically being slaves, fight wars, doing dirty work, etc.}
- If they are slaves, they wouldn't be able to have a community and would be sterile as breeding would encourage growth that was not monitored. {Other questions: why would they use Dragons and not people, etc?}
- If they were accidently created, and left to their own devices, why would anyone let them do that? Would there be a pact between humans and Dragons? Why kind of pact?
- Maybe the Dragons are evolved from another species? Maybe their evolution was monitored but they are considered endangered species, but because they are intellegent they do not attack humans, etc.
- I want there to be an aspect of the Dragons being hunted, because that will be a sub-plot in the whole thing. The other plot{s} will be Rhapsody's survival, and he's supposed to be a Prince of the Dragons, but I dunno if I should {the whole "Gary-Stu" thing, where your main character has royalty and "omg" they are sooo important...}

Anyway, anyone have anyhting else to add? I have two other characters involved in this story, a half-human, half-cyborg that was genetically modified by the government, for "reasons unknown" and she is being hunted as well.

My boyfriend, the almighty writer that he is, has suggested that I come up with a good theme for the story and work with it. I am having troubles with that, too. Normally I'm good at working with theme's {a lot of short stories of mine were worked with themes} and the only problem I have with this is that my main character is a Dragon.

How do you get people/readers to relate to a Dragon? o___o

www †  artcraft

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Re: Futuristic world with Dragons?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 09:42:19 PM »
Caught my attention. :) Brainstorming on...

I am thinking Jurassic parkish type thing with some genetic engineering thrown in the mix. They couldn't get the true dinosaurs to live so they continued to modify the DNA to try and get a surviveable species out of the mix. They perhaps got a little too creative?

Loch Ness monster angle. There have always been hidden monstrosities hiding, unknown, in the depths of the seas. Current climate or geographic change has brought them to the surface. Maybe coinciding with the Jurassic Park thing and this monster from the depths mates with a genetically enhanced dinosaur and creates a hybrid dragon creature from the mix.

Asteroid with mystical powers dropping from the sky. Created an entire host of mutated creatures of all types, to include human, in an isolated area that has been deemed 'off limits.' After all, there could be valuable information there for the current gov't to exploit somehow. So they escape or whatever. You could work the mutation/evolution anyway you want then, creature+human = intelligent dragon or whatever. Or it could mutate by itself with alien type intelligence which would be foreign and misunderstood in the current location. Then you could have a sort of mutant/alien intelligence in all different shapes and sizes for more of a theme instead of dragons being one of the only unique creatures.

They were creatures captured from an alien planet and bred on your planet for some purpose. Didn't quite work out or maybe a war broke out sending the once domesticated animals into the wild. Then you can have the domesticated and wild dragons with many opportunities for conflict and/or cooperation between the two types.

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Feraltetsuo

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 10:49:40 PM »
I've always been hesitant at mixing science fiction and fantasy. This is mostly because I've only seen it done well twice. Typically it ends in a mix that is wholly unbelievable in my humble opinion. Whatever you choose to go with though I wish you good luck and would love to see the final product.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Elite Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 11:28:44 PM »
This seems a good point to state that sci-fantasy can work well... if you define magic as science you don't understand yet.  That being said, if you don't like Strolen's suggestions, you could always consider time and/or dimensional travel.  Also, just because they've never been seen before doesn't mean that they weren't around.
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Questor Gold Creator 10 Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Systems Guild
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 12:22:59 AM »
The Dracid Genome Project

Due to itermitant bursts of high frequency radiation, high technology becomes unreliable. Computers that arent hardened and protected by feet on plast-crete are fried on a regular basis, causing major problems in transportation, communication and law military enforcement. THe answer lies in resorting to biological means.

Using resilient reptilian DNA hybridized with mammalian and insect genomes, the Dracid Genome is fashioned and synthesized in breeder facilities built deep underground, protected by radiation defeating boron plating and water tanks.Going Jurassic park, the new breed of mutagenic resistant reptiles is hatched and provide powerful flying mounts capable of deploying heavy weaponry that isnt 100% slaved to a computer.

plop

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Article Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 05:32:30 AM »
It was the aliens!

Actually, the dragons were set out by an alien species that secretly studies Earth.

Umm, but why?
 - highly advanced ecological research - they want to see the impact of a foreign species appearing in an ecosystem. They may introduce other, more innocent(-looking) creatures and plants.
 - they want to have humanity killed off in some entertaining way, or just start an amazing spectacle of 'survival of the fittest'
 - by creating a completely alien intelligent race, it is an exotic test of human morals. The question is, what happen if humans fail (or loose)?
 - they came to like human legends of dragons, and have simply created some

OK, there is some weirdness inside - take it or leave it! :)

An interesting topic.
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.

Offline DragonRhapsody

• Pink Bunny Love
  • Apprentice
    • DragonRhapsody.com
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 09:42:31 AM »
Wow, how did I know this was the best place to take my idea? XD

I still like the alien thought, but I'm going to work with the idea a bit more, see if it pans out in my head as it does on paper! XD

WOW! Thanks for all the interest and ideas! This is fantastic! I am totally ready to start brainstorming even more, my creative-juices are on the go! <3

Yay! ^__^

www †  artcraft

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2006, 12:43:52 PM »
Search the settings forums for Kerren for some ideas.

The big question for a future dragon setting is, "where did they come from" and if appropriate, "why did someone make them or let them in?".

Why would anyone genemash a dragon? Did they stop showing Jurrasic Park in the future? Or any of those awful Dragon Movies from the early 2000s?

The Dragons could be aliens from other places who traveled here either by a gate system, a starship, or their own unique ability to jump.

Are they animals we picked up who make good companion/ pets for a space faring people?

Maybe the dragons have an innate ability to work in space, so people would ride these organic space ships.

You could go ShadowRun... if you don't know shadow run, do a search for Shadow Run PRG. That means the magic comes back.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline DragonRhapsody

• Pink Bunny Love
  • Apprentice
    • DragonRhapsody.com
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 12:04:49 AM »
Awesome, thank you MoonHunter! ^__^ You gave me some great questions to ponder on! <3

www †  artcraft

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 06:15:20 PM »
This is easy.

Billionaire romantic creates the creatures of his dreams for an amusement park, a la Jurassic Park, except instead of retrovolution he uses genetic engineering on reptiles and dinosaur DNA. Park gets busted ass, dragon thingies escape into the wild, and, devoid of natural predators and equipped with every advantage, kick Nature's ass and become the vast black hole at the center of food web.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 06:58:27 PM »
Maybe they were mining for ore and broke into a cavern of some sort. Send a small boy in to investigate and find that you have awoken a nest of dragons that start to terrorize the world and turn it into ash. You realize from this that it was dragons, not some far fetched meteor story, that actually made the dinosaurs extinct.

;)

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2006, 09:10:16 PM »
Oh boy, and then you can have a heroic American jump into the dragon's mouth with his manly axe.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline DragonRhapsody

• Pink Bunny Love
  • Apprentice
    • DragonRhapsody.com
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2006, 01:04:48 PM »
Ooooh! Manly axe! XD

LOL thanks for the ideas, I like them all. I watched Jurassic park, one and three yesterday and I totally am on the genetic bandwagon. I dunno if I'll use it, as I"m still trying to formulate how Dragons would work. I'm certain that no matter what, they would be considered a threat to mankind. So I have something to work with ^__^

www †  artcraft

Offline Feraltetsuo

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2006, 09:41:49 PM »
I'm anxious to see the progress on this. Looks like a lot of ideas floating around here.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2006, 02:54:05 PM »
Might I suggest you read the books?  While the movies are good and fun to play with, the books are actually worth reading and expand on things directly.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline DragonRhapsody

• Pink Bunny Love
  • Apprentice
    • DragonRhapsody.com
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2006, 07:31:16 PM »
Oh, yes, I loved the first book, I read most of it, but I have to get my own copy and start re-reading. My ex-boyfriend stole my copy - the looser - but I loved the books, much more explination and depth than the movies! ^__^
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 08:02:00 PM by DragonRhapsody »

www †  artcraft