llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Why I love Opera  (Read 10523 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Why I love Opera
« on: January 05, 2005, 05:31:01 AM »
Why I love Opera

By: Strolen.

I like Opera because it is neat. It is cool and does fun things that are fun.

Keep stumbling on new things. The full screen already rocks more than Led Zepplin...okay, well. Pretend I didn't say that, but it is still awesome.

I often browse full screen which doesn't have a vertical scroll bar (who needs it when you have a mouse wheel anyway) but you can also toggle the scroll bar off anyway since it is pretty useless. Use 1 and 2 to cycle through open pages.

Toggle scroll bars: Ctrl+F7
Toggle address bar: Ctrl+F8
Toggle main menu: Ctrl+F11

Shift + clicking link = opening a page in a new window, which I do very very very, ok, so often I should probably change my preferences to open everything into a new window. But I don't.

F7 is handy to view a pages size in bytes. (The post a thread is 40803 bytes)

F8 to go to the title bar ready to type a new address.

My newest favorite is the zoom that I reremembered tonight and started using again.

zoom using 10% increments: zoom in 0 zoom out 9
zoom using 100% increments: zoom in 8 zoom out 7
snap page back to 100% (normal) 6

I like smaller text so I shrink it a little bit.

I use Opera Mail as my primary mail client. I used to use calypso but I use Opera so often I figured why have another program open when Opera does it so well anyway.

Also the fact that you can save a webpage with all its images is handy too. Do that sometimes to figure out a design or learn how they did something in css.

Those are all the ones I use somewhat steadily. Just got excited when I accidently put my screen larger because I forgot I could do that. Now I use it all the time again.

Ctrl-b for a quick link of all the keyboard goodies.

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Elite Item Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
Why I love Opera
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 12:31:36 PM »
Did you realize that you've turned me into an Opera junkie?  When I use a different computer, I get all confused now, especially if I have to use IE.
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Why I love Opera
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005, 04:35:57 PM »
What is Opera? An internet system?
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Why I love Opera
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 05:02:54 PM »
UNCIVILIZED INFIDEL!!!!!!!!!!!

First
http://www.searchlores.org/tuttiope.htm

If you need more
http://tntluoma.com/beyond30/2003/08/opera_vs_mozilla

Then
http://www.opera.com/

deep breathes

goooooosefraaaabbbaaaaa

Level 3

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Why I love Opera
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2005, 09:24:24 PM »

Level 3

Offline Enthroned Carcass

• Apprentice
    • Awards
Why I love Opera
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2005, 12:25:59 PM »
When i first saw this topic, I thought you were talking about opera, as in theater.
Kneel before the Rot of man.

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator Elite Plot Guild Elite Systems Guild Elite Item Guild
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
Why I love Opera
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2005, 04:59:13 PM »
I tried to view Rob Lang's site using Opera but it "didn't support" the .xml format.

Are xsl stylesheets interpreted differently in Opera than in IE? IE does have a reputation for being too lenient and accepting too many errors.

Any ideas Strolen?
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Kinslayer

• The Glorious One
  • Master
  • Doom
    • http://Lost-Souls.co.nr
    • Awards
Why I love Opera
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2005, 06:40:58 PM »
It pulls up just fine with Firefox & Mozilla.
Midian Dark Fantasy Roleplaying Game
The Official Game of the Internet
http://Lost-Souls.co.nr
http://Lost-Souls.hk.st

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Nosredna

• Knight
    • Awards
Why I love Opera
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2005, 07:43:46 AM »
Kudos to Kinslayer for his recognition of the greatest internet browser.

Why I love Mozilla

By: Nosredna

Internet browser: Mozilla Firefox

Mozilla Firefox is an internet browser that is tab based. When you click on a link with the scroller on the mouse (if you have one) then it will open that link in a new tab. Very useful for switching between sites. There are many themes and extensions for it. Three of the main extensions I am using are-: Gmail Notifier, EggOn, FoxyTunes.

Gmail Notifier-: Pretty self explanatory. Its a little icon near the loading bar that will notify you when you have a new email in your Gmail account.  Click on it and it will take you to Gmail and if you have the Remember Me box ticked (reccomended) then it will automatically log you in.

EggOn-: Wonderful little extension this. If you decide to play some online game and want to restrict yourself from going overboard then you click on the little egg icon, near to where the Gmail Notifier would be, and choose from a Soft Egg, a Medium Egg and a Hard Egg. It will start an unseen timer. A Soft Egg would be a shorter time limit than a Hard Egg. When the time is up it will bring up a message telling you "Your egg is now cooked to perfection" and you now have the choice to stop playing or to cook another egg :wink:

FoxyTunes-: It's a kind of media player that occupys most of the space next to EggOn. It will use the media player you are using, in my case this is WinAmp, and its sort of like minimizes it. But heres the twist. It minimizes it into Firefox. You can browse for file to play, next, previous etc,etc. Really helpful seeing as I am a lazy guy :P

If you hold down Ctrl and scroll up or down it will zoom in or out.

If you press Ctrl and the tab button it will switch betwwen tabs.

If you press Ctrl and F4 it will close the current tab.

Email Client: Mozilla Thunderbird

I haven't really tried Opera Mail so I can't say that Thunderbird is better or otherwise. But I can definetly say it is better than Outlook. Much better. It's a POP email client. It is actualy a bit of a hassle to get set up but afterwards its smooth sailing. You have the choice to have all your email stay both on the site and on the client or just straight to the client. I don't think it has themes but it does have invisible extensions that make your life alot easier. Like Next and previous buttons where the email list is as opposed to in the actual email.

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator Elite Plot Guild Elite Systems Guild Elite Item Guild
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
Why I love Opera
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2005, 08:30:08 AM »
Firefox is a rip off of Opera, which has all of the features you listed.

<spam>
And everyone sing: "Opera, Opera über alles, Über alles in der Welt, Wenn es stets zu Schutz und Trutze Brüderlich zusammenhält."
</spam>

Sorry, but all these years of paining myself through the Java vs C/C++, Linux/Unix vs Microsoft and Browser X vs Browser Y discussions is at an end. There is usually a upside and a downside to everything. Why can't people just understand that? Read some books good people and make up your own opinions. You don't have to recite all the hype and forum talk out there!

Lies you hear on the web:
Java is slow -NO, poor programmers make slow Java. Java was less than the hype wanted it to be. That is all. The truth: Java is a logical piece of beauty, C is a nice language I use for research. Smooth, fast and simple (I lie, I lie. Don't tell mum). There is no superior tool, only the right tool for the job.

Linux is of superior quality -NO, as a server running without X, Linux is indeed superior. But as a development platform I have had fatal system hangs more often on Linux than on modern MS systems. When you run X, things get more complicated.

Windows OS is less secure than Linux -NO! Linux is more secure purely because it gets targetted less often than Windows servers. There are more security holes in Linux than in Windows. All in all Windows IS indeed less secure, but not because of the OS. It has more enemies than Linux.

Linux is user hostile -NO! New Linux distros are MORE user friendly than the newer windows versions and is currently my preferred development platform (Once I learnt which configurations to avoid and which tools were of poor quality).

Conclusion: There are bound to come new "gurus" with their own smart-ass opinion on anything. Just because X says it is so, doesn't mean it is true. Do I want to defend this rant? No. It is pointless. It is like discussing politics and religion; more likely to introduce you to new enemies, than to actually achieve something.

Just read a book! Make up your own opinion.

Sorry Nosredna, this was in no way meant as an assault on you. I guess Firefox is ok, but there are serious issues with that browser too, just like with all the rest (IE vulnerable, Firefox handles scripting poorly(try the chat), Opera obviously does not support XML all too well.)

Take care
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Rob Lang

• Apprentice
    • http://www.icar.co.uk
    • Awards
Why I love Opera
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2005, 10:22:57 AM »
Thanks for the heads up about Icar not working in Opera. I respect the browser but did not code for it. I coded for Firefox and IE - the largest market share. I'd lean towards Firefox because of the rather splendid extra features but I would not enter the colloseum to fight for it's honor.

I don't really have any preference to broswer beyond finding IE frustrating. Shoddy implementation of standards that have been released long ago is just not acceptable for the largest software company in the world. Head in the sand treatment of other people's standards is only going to leave users sore. It's also IE's fault that HTML got as shabby as it did.

It's odd that Opera does not support XML/XSL sites because the standard for doing so was created in 2000 and finalised very quickly. IE is normally the last browser to catch up.

I shall endeavour to create an Opera friendly version of the site.

Offline Nosredna

• Knight
    • Awards
Why I love Opera
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2005, 01:55:17 PM »
Quote from: "Ancient Gamer"
Sorry Nosredna, this was in no way meant as an assault on you. I guess Firefox is ok, but there are serious issues with that browser too, just like with all the rest (IE vulnerable, Firefox handles scripting poorly(try the chat), Opera obviously does not support XML all too well.)

No offence taken. You do have some good points there though. I suppose every browser has its ups and every browser also has its downs. You know what we need to do. We need to make a super browser. Lets think of a name...
...How about Nosrednos. Thats a cool name :wink:

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
Why I love Opera
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2005, 11:22:35 AM »
It is a fine browser, this Firefox...

...but how do you make it work with a chatroom? Say, THE Strolen's Citadel chatroom?

The d**n thing keeps refreshing over and over, which is miserable if the connection is slow, and it doesn't show things said before.

So, Opera/Firefox junkies, what is your solution?
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Why I love Opera
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2005, 05:37:36 PM »
How did all this Mozilla crap and debate get into my lovingly inspired ode to Opera?

I didn't intend to start a debate agains the evils of IE or inadequate duplication of specifications that Mozilla got from Opera, I simply wanted to voice my love of the most pure and loving piece of web browsing software, Opera.

Not sure about the XML. Opera is usually the leader in following specifications as close to the letter as possible.
http://www.opera.com/docs/specs/
http://www.w3schools.com/xml/xml_browsers.asp

Am not implying that Icar is out of specs either, wouldn't presume to do that since there are so many variables. I didn't look at the stylesheet but icar doesn't seem overly complex. All I get is the text when I view it from Opera. No idea....

Level 3

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Why I love Opera
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2005, 06:34:59 PM »
Deserved a bump with the latest news.

I have been rejoicing for a bit now but forgot all about posting something about it.

Bad Strolen, Bad.

OPERA IS NOW FREE

No excuses now you IE cattle!!!!!!!!!  MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Opera will rule the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!11one!!1oneone

Level 3

Offline Nosredna

• Knight
    • Awards
Re: Why I love Opera
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2005, 06:06:31 AM »
Deserved a bump with the latest news.

I have been rejoicing for a bit now but forgot all about posting something about it.

Bad Strolen, Bad.

OPERA IS NOW FREE

No excuses now you IE cattle!!!!!!!!!  MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Opera will rule the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!11one!!1oneone

Just heard about the removal of the licensing fee. No more Firefox for me  :hyper:

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2005, 10:24:52 AM »
Hmmmmmm.....   :?
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2006, 07:29:43 AM »
If you read slashdot.com then you already know but....

Opera has just become the second browser after Safari to be able to pass completely the famous ACID2 test. Mark Wilton-Jones is running a little article on the history of the Opera and ACID tests. Of course, it includes a screenshot of Opera 9 showing the nice happy face saying "Hello world!".

http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/operaStuff/acid/

Level 3

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2006, 03:16:39 PM »
OPERA 9

Woooohooooo!
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2006, 12:26:14 PM »
...with the fancy little screenshots when you hover over the tab...

Level 3

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2006, 08:04:37 PM »
And now with torrent capability.

And it is still the fastest.

Level 3

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2006, 01:40:50 PM »
More and more internet surfers use Firefox...
Why?
Why?
WHY?

Why they would escape MSIE is understandable, especially now that Internet Exploder v7 is on the market, but... Why would someone use that retro and painfully inelegant monstrosoty called Firefox?

True, there are cool addins like Firebug, but... Is that enough? Firefox feels dated and the entire user experience is poor compared to Opera. The only thing about Firefox that is good, is that they copy Opera extensively. I can understand why.

Seriously people: Time to ditch Firefox. It ain't worth s**t!
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Elite Item Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2006, 04:48:46 PM »
I use Firefox occasionally, mostly when I'm using my dad's computer (because I can't get him to install Opera).  It's... okay.  But once you're used to Opera, it's maddening.  Most of the stuff that Firefox does, Opera did it first, and it did it better.
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2007, 03:38:15 PM »
It is official: The lord of the citadel is switching to fireflux.

I hereby dub this thread the: "STROLEN IS A BLACKHEART" thread.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2007, 04:06:31 PM »
I haven't yet sworn my name to it, but......

Level 3