llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Starting your game  (Read 1053 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline maximo

• Apprentice
    • Awards
Starting your game
« on: January 04, 2005, 04:03:26 PM »
Every good campaign has a good beginning.  At least it should.  But I know that for me, that is sometimes the hardest part of my campaign: getting started.  I though it might be interesting to hear good ideas for beginning a campaign.  And by beginning, I mean pulling it all together.  How do your PC's meet?  Do they just already know each other?  Did they grow up together?  Are they strangers that got thrown together in some bizzare adventure, eventually forming bonds of companionship/friendship?  And if so, did they all just happen to all be there at the same time?  I don't know about you, but I don't really like to just throw them together without at least somewhat of an explaination.  For example:

*In one campaign, I had all of my PC's graduating from a prestigious university.  Upon graduating, students were grouped together based on skill levels and given assignments.  Example:  some became simple craftsmen (blacksmiths, etc.) based on the trades they were taught; others, generally the cream of the crop, are sent out as "adventurers" to begin completing varoius missions.
     (Note:  This was very similar to Ians' setting submission "Blackrose Acadamy")

*In another campaign, I used the very simple starting point of an orphanage.  All of my PC's had just come of age and were venturing out into the world after growing up together for a number of years.

So, anyway...I would like to hear some of the ideas that you guys use when starting a new campaign.

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Elite Plot Guild Golden Creator Elite Systems Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Item Guild
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
Starting your game
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 04:40:41 PM »
http://www.rpgcitadel.com/guild/index.php?topic=508.0

The above link is a thread you should read to find your answers.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline maximo

• Apprentice
    • Awards
Starting your game
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 05:45:56 PM »
Sorry, I didn't realize.  I still haven't had a chance to explore every thread yet.  Thank you, Ancient Gamer, for pointing me in the right direction.

Offline Mourngrymn

• Ruler of Hewdamia
  • Master
  • Awards Questor Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
Starting your game
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2005, 12:38:17 PM »
Not to just toot my own horn, but this is what I have just recently used. It seems to be the most flexible and open ended campaign that I have ever done. Depending on how far in depth you wish to go, depends on how long you actually use it to move on to other campaign woes.

Blackrose Academy

Mourngrymn -
Acolyte Ysuron the Undying Grymn – Necromancer Cult – Level 1
STR: 1 | END: 3 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 6 | INT: 5
Authentic Semi-Retired Strolenite©®

Current completed guild quest.
Necromancer's Cult Quest - Acolyte
Current guild quest.
Necromancer's Cult Quest - Deathpriest
Hewdamia