Extraneous Voices of Picayune > Citadel Tavern

Time for some Neutrality

(1/7) > >>

drphluid:
Should a character be limited to their declared alignment?
Is it necessary to force a character to always stick to their alignment or force them to change it and suffer accordingly?

Obviously if a paladin assassinates someone, then they are not truly a paladin.  But if the same paladin does not help someone this time, should they be forced to have to help him or her or lose the paladin status?  On the same token, if an evil rouge helps someone, for any reason, are they playing their character?  Must a neutral charater hurt someone as much as they help others?

DaWergyling:
Nah. The DM might want to change the person's alignment, (or at least for anything that the alignment would put into effect :twisted:, as in having someone's rogue, who acts somewhat lawfully, but the character *thinks* they're chaotic neutral, pick up an item bent on killing all lawful people, and then.... ow) but they don't have to know you did  :twisted:.

Strolen:
I have never liked alignments. I think the Palladium alignments made more sense then the AD&D ones anyway. I think true neutral is a farce. How can somebody be true neutral on everything. Even Spock chose sides.

I think the character's history, experiences, and carreer choice should dictate how they act, not a alignment choice. After all, how many real people could pick out their alignment? I can't remember a game where alignment really came into play where it was really an issue.

I always fealt that the characters should play how they think they would play, forget alignment, play in character. Not everybody is going to fit a mold. If a paladin had a horrible childhood incident and then it came into play later causing him to act unpaladiny (hehehe) then let what happens happen, not because he broke alignment, but because he broke his paladin pledge. Let his god or his order take care of it according to the problem. Alignment is intertwined with it all and you can make a case for it, but throw it out and would you lose anything?

Agar:
Agar <--- Chaotic Good.

Yhea, so I know my alingment, big deal.

Instead of alignment being used to shackle a player's actions on the penalty of stiff punishment, shouldn't it be used more for thier general attitude?

Most people act with a set attitude most of the time, untill an unusual situation comes along that might have an impact on their attitude. Unusual situations would be like emotional encounters, fights, hardships, and other life impacting events. When they get into a situation like that, the events in the situation may change thier attitude, for this case, their alingment.

Popular example: The movie Minority Report. Lawman working to prevent the chaos of killing and it's negitive impact on people from happening suddenly finds he will be one of the instigators of the chaos. This situation leads him to perform the vastly chaotic action of running from the law. So for general situations, he is acting in a lawful good manner, but once placed in the situation, he acts in a patently chaotic fashion.

Rather than force alignment changes and/or penalties on players, let them decide if an event has changed them and thier alignment and how. A sort of limit will have to be put in place to keep abusive people from flip-floping with the breeze, perhaps only when XP is awarded or only by party vote to give permision or something.

The bigest time alingment seems to actually come into play is when picking a class. Since that is effectivly the players job title, I fully support Strolen's idea of occupation and experiences determining alingment. Rather than binding classes by alingment, disregard alingment all together and insead supply the classes with a code of conduct. Most codes of conduct have room for a little slack for extreme cases, like you are too busy running down a demon to toss some alms into a leper's cup. If the code of conduct is knowingly and deliberately broken, then the player will suffer the consequences. That doesn't keep someone with a neutral good attitude from being a paladin, but they if they follow the code of conduct, they will likely be subjected to events that will alter their attitude to more lawful good.

drphluid:

--- Quote ---Instead of alignment being used to shackle a player's actions on the penalty of stiff punishment, shouldn't it be used more for thier general attitude?
--- End quote ---

Well said, and I think that just about sums it up.  Thanks Agar

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version