llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Australian City Prohibits  (Read 2506 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
Australian City Prohibits
« on: December 28, 2004, 10:12:27 AM »
On July 1, 2004, new legislation took effect that prohibits swords in Victoria Australia.  The new law carries penalties of up to $12,000 in fines or six months in prision for the illegal use, possession, or carrying of a sword.  According to Andre Haermeyer, the Minster for Police and Emergency Services, the new prohibition will help the city's police crack down on young people who have recently been arming themselves with swords.

As I understand it, the local gang types discovered swords as weapons.  They began to use them on fights within themselves and used them to part vicitims from their money.  Since they were not concealed, they could be openly worn without legal entanglement... until recently. -- MoonHunter

Haermeyer also said that the elevation of swords from a controlled to a prohibited weapon will impact sword vendors, whill will now only be permitted to sell swords to those who can prove that they have approval form the Chief Commissioner of Police or fall within an exempt category, such as being a member of a cultural, religions, military, or collectors group. Vendors are also now required ot register to whom they have sold a sword, the nature of the buyer's exemption, and the type of sowrd purchased.

Judith Kane, Renaissance Magazine  #39
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Kinslayer

• The Glorious One
  • Master
  • Doom
    • http://Lost-Souls.co.nr
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2004, 11:35:28 AM »
When swords are outlawed, only outlaws will have swords.

I think that's a bit excessive.  What's next, banning all sharp objects?  I've been to countries with severe bans on all weaponry, as well as places where it's fairly open.  In both sorts, there are people willing to commit crimes & cause violence.
Midian Dark Fantasy Roleplaying Game
The Official Game of the Internet
http://Lost-Souls.co.nr
http://Lost-Souls.hk.st

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2004, 04:40:51 PM »
That is hilarious. There are few on this board that probably are not criminals.

I guess they will move to axes next or long daggers...ball and chain? I got all of the above hanging around me.

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Systems Guild Elite Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2004, 06:24:00 PM »
The second amendment of the Constitution comes to mind, the right to bear arms. Historically speaking, bad things happen once the government decides to disarm the populace, placing them at the mercy of the police force, and of the military establishment.

In Texas, weapons are common, but not omnipresent by any stretch of the imagination. Police brutality is more common than is let on because the law enforcement has no reason to respect the common man. He is unarmed, and the cop is armed usually with a firearm, or two, a taser, pepper spray, and a baton or club. Insert thumb into beltloop and become swaggering jackass.

In Tennessee, weapons are...very common. Considering that the average citizen has near immediate access to a firearm (.45 magnums being a local favorite) the law enforcers are muc more polite, and have alot less Bad-Ass in their step. They are public servants, and not Enforcers.

I dont beat the Patriotism drum very often, as most of the time I disagree with goverment policy and gag everytime I get a whiff of spin or propaganda, but I will defend the Constitution, and the bill of rights. I was actually thinking of doing a disarmament plot, but havent gotten that last needed spark for it.

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
  • Awards 2013 Location of the Year Questor NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2005, 04:43:37 AM »
Psh, crazy Australians!

er... wait...
Lazarus Lightward, Elite Diabolist of the Brotherhood - Level 3 Occultist
Deathpriest Noxx, Herald of Eternal Silence – Level 2 Necromancer
STR: 2 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 12 | INT: 13

Strolenite Relic, resurfaced.

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2005, 05:08:11 AM »
That didn't make them crazy. Barefoot and shirtless in malls like it is normal. Now that is odd.

Level 3

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Systems Guild Elite Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2005, 06:10:40 AM »
Metal plate + Cutting Torch + Grinder = sword

Never underestimate the inventiveness of humanity. It is almost our natural state of existance to be armed.

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2005, 08:26:18 AM »
Use a truck spring, good solid steel that is strong enough to withstand some beatings if you heat treat it right.

Level 3

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Elite Systems Guild Elite Plot Guild Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2005, 11:12:54 AM »
Here in norway we have many, many armed individuals. Of course they are either militia or criminals.

Always nice to know that the thugs have SMGs, shotguns, assault rifles, pistols... Heh, I suspect that the bank robbers will carry nukes within long.

As for the militia... Last time I encountered one of those, he was drunk in his mothers appartment and sniping people on the tram I was sitting in. Good for us that he couldn't hit a barn wall in his drunken stupor.

So arms to civilians? Yes, if they pass a psychological evaluation before getting their guns.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Maggot

• Insectoid Horror Of Canberra
  • Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Society Guild Elite Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Questor
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2005, 09:38:18 PM »
lol,here in Singapore,carrying a gun means finding youself facing the noose when you are finally cornered by the cops.This perhaps is the reason why Singapore is virtually free of gun related crime.Of course,there is a downside like Scras said.Singapore cops are notoriously trigger-happy.A couple of years back there was a case where a retarded man was shot dead by cops after they accused him of charging at them with a pole.
“I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak.” -Bill Watterson

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Elite Systems Guild Elite Plot Guild Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2005, 09:52:55 PM »
In Norway cops are NOT allowed to carry guns. The criminals are armed to the teeth and the cops are bare fisted...

Lately several criminals have grown increasingly aggressive and recently a large numbers of bank robberies washed across the nation. It all peaked when one criminal assassinated an unarmed cop in his car during a bank robbery. The criminals got away with 9 million dollars.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Kinslayer

• The Glorious One
  • Master
  • Doom
    • http://Lost-Souls.co.nr
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2005, 09:56:41 PM »
It seems to me that it's how ready a culture is to commit violence, rather than its legislative means of preventing such, that affects violence & violent crimes.  Both unrestricted and highly restricted gun-control laws can easily prove counter-productive, as can any level of moderation between these extremes.  Even if all firearms are successfully banned in an aggressive culture, then the same number of crimes will occur, they will simply shift focus to different weapons.
Midian Dark Fantasy Roleplaying Game
The Official Game of the Internet
http://Lost-Souls.co.nr
http://Lost-Souls.hk.st

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Cheka Man

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2005, 06:32:57 PM »
I assume there are small units of armed police, or army units for the gunmen that really do something over the top? Here in the UK most police don't have guns but there are armed police units that do.

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2005, 07:33:20 PM »
Of course. But it doesn't help much if there is armed backup somewhere, when you get executed because you happen to be at the scene of the crime, does it?

But guns or not guns, cops have become increasingly aggressive in Norway too, and quite a number of scandals concerning cop violence has emerged. Still they are better than the drunk cops waving submachineguns that I met in Prague. (Alcohol + lethal weapon + uniform = hide! hide quickly!)
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2005, 07:42:38 PM »
This law will probably cut down on the collatoral damange from an Immortal being beheaded.

I bet that was one of their justifications.

Level 3

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2005, 09:24:30 PM »
"There can be only one!"
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist