llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Generic Fantasy: The Northlands  (Read 769 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Generic Fantasy: The Northlands
« on: November 11, 2014, 08:23:53 AM »
this is mostly notes to myself, in case you couldn't tell by the fact that it makes minimal sense if you're not inside my head

Keep in the Northlands - because I can't think of how to write the stuff I want to write for the scifi submissions I'm working on, a genericish fantasy setting in 90 minutes or less.

Ranger outpost in the northernmost reaches of man defending the southern kingdoms from nameless ancient threat.  Argyle for map of region.

mountains to the north, home of nameless evils.  NO vikings because meh

the kingdom of ?????

Along the divide of the mountains lies the old wall (spine of ish sah) an ancient mega structure that has seen better days.  Numerous sections of the wall have been destroyed or fallen from old age, but it is still a sight to behold.  The parts that stand are over 60' tall and 15' wide.  The ancient empire fought a eonlong war agains the rapine storm whatevers, fought them back through endless russian winters, and then collapsed to internal strife before the killing blow could be struck.  Dark age, yadda yadda.  On the bright side both sides more or less ended up equally @!#$ed, so the 17 successor states and the Dark Empire of Darkness had an equal amount of time to get their footing.  Now 200 years later it's time for round 2 :D.  Yeah, no elves/dwarves because having things that live longer than 50 years on average tends to mess up the ability to have an 'Ancient Empire' that isn't more than 2000 years in the past. 

Empire was old before it fell.  'High Latin' is still the language of scholars and nobles, but the common folk general spoke a combination of their original tongue and loanwords, some more than others.

High Latin - Offical Language (MSA/Koranic//Latin)
Low Latin - Common Tongues (Iraqi, Misri, Magrebi//French, Spanish)
Old Tongue - (Babelonian, Beduoin, Coptic)

Common will end up being either some sore of lingua franca or a very simple version of high latin, probably franca.  That way using d20 learning another 'language' just by spending 2 skill points isn't so rediculous.  Learning an 'old tongue' might require spending a feat to get scholar or some such, they're not spoken anymore except by some local pagans/witches/whatever.

Worship of the 16 is common through out the region of the Kingdoms.  The Rapine Storm believe in their One True God.  Certain heretical cults believe that the pantheon was originally 17 strong, but that OTG left for some reason and now their worshippers are duking it out for the god's benifits.

Spintering of the Catholic Church, Protestantism

The Old Church had fractured over a succession crisis 70+ years before the fall of the old empire into the Roman Church and Orthadox Church.  Both claim to the be one true church.  50 years after fall kingdom number 7 created their own state based church, the Anglican Church.  30 years later #9 did likewise, spitting off of the Orthadox instead of Roman branch.  About 30 years ago the protestant reformation began, due to claims of corruption in the clergy.  This branch of the religion slintered almost immediately based of the the teachings of which ever one of the original "fathers" happened to set up locally.

Gnostics have been a constant, more or less, the entire history of the Church, though they've always been viewed as heretics by ALL the other branches, they're the ones that claim there's 17 gods instead of 16.

Border states: there should be about 4 countries with borders to the unclaimed north where the ancient evils (tm) are once again stirring and making their presence known.  One of them is likely trying to conquer another, and a third, prolly the one with the ranger outpost because why not, is trying to get all the successor states to form some sort of united front against the upcoming rapine storm beat down because you know, death and destruction guys...  Heh, Sama could be the rapine storm of doom...  Which would be all sorts of messed up but gives me a reason to finally go through and fix a bunch of things with those old posts.

ALL right, so the successor states aren't generally at war with each other constantly, but a low grade tension is to be expected, especially as they haven't really had time to settle down since the fall of rome. meh.
One can cure oneself of the not un- formation by memorizing this sentence: A not unblack dog was chasing a not unsmall rabbit across a not ungreen field.  Orwell

(13:23:49) (Chinchillas): See? You can write like an 4$$h013 when you're not writing like a pompous 4$$h013.

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Re: Generic Fantasy: The Northlands
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 12:08:01 PM »
and now becuse I can't sleep.  Please not, I don't have my contacts in so this is likely to be strewn with typos.  Deal with it, I can't see well enought to tell when the little red line is under a word. :/

Sama - bound lord trisksy lord of the wood, moon god, god of beadts and men, god of shapers, the hunter in the night.  Originally the left hand of the gods, slaying those who wouldnt bow, came to see the nobility of their cayse and setbhimself appart from other gods.  First crusaade was to kill him, but before the finishing blow could be struck the crusade fell to deciet.  Possibly has an ally in the pantheon.

The Samahen were men, once.  The fled to the north to recieve guidance from their fell lord, and then began to change themselves.  At this point there's multiple distinct races of samahen that breed true

Drow.Elites - the upper echelons of samahen society, 80/20 split of female to male, along with a removal of the heavy sexual dimorphism characterising the human race led to a society that outsiders see as militaristically feminist, though this isn't quite the case.  It's just that in order to make sure that the race was likely to survive they cut out as much of the more unnessecary gender as they thought they could get away with (no use wasting resources growing yet another penis when you already have plenty in order to continue the race) combined with the fact that the females of the race are just as strong as the males.  Yes they still have 'day-blindness' but that's just an unfortanate side effect of being able to see in the dark.  Due to the fact that the samahen live in the frozen northlands under the ground in order to protect themselves from all the people that want them and their god dead they kinda needed that.

goblins/grunt - cannon fodder and slaves, well they were originally bred from the slaves that the samahen captured.  Basically brainless and with out any will of their own (dnd -2 int -4 wis -4 cha) but hardy and quick ojn their feet, they breed like rabbits and have a functional lifespan of a couple of decades, reaching sexual maturity with in 6 years and then dying off with in 5 years of no longer being able to reproduce, because there's really no reason to waste resources on someone who can't make more slaves now, is there?

hobgoblins/jackels - also bred from slaves, where the other batch was bred solely for their ability to be incredibly stupid and easy to control, this batch was bred for a combination of mindless conforminty and keeping the gobs in line.  Shield walls versus mindless hordes charging at you.

Orcs/Brutes - The Warrior caste of the samahen, where the drow have almost no sexual dimorphism the orcs are extremley sexual dimorphic, though they end up with a 50/50 spit as far as the gender goes.  They have 6 or 8 breasts, and litters are roughly that size.  They'll have a litter about as often as a human couple will have children (compared to the drow average of once every 10 years).  Half orcs are a thing.  I guess this kinda gets rid of the "humans only" proviso I had at the beginning, but I kinda like this idea of the samahen altering their own genome eclipse phase style.

Monsters - OWLBEARS!!!!!!  Yes, all the crazy monsters that DnD produced are a result of samahen tinkering with regular animals to produce weapons of war.  Because the first  crusade that led to their almost defeat was a result of them invading in the first place and then being pushed back reconquista style, all sorts of monsters are found throughout the world.  Ill figure some out later because I'm actually starting to feel l=tired now that I've gotten these ideas posted.

Also, note to self: E6 for power level, but in order to maintain a feeling of advancement once a pc reaches lvl 6, each elvel after that allows gesalting a class.  For instance level 7 fighter goes to level 7 and decides to pick up a level of sorcersr, becomes (fghter.sorc 1) fighter 2-5 and gets casting at level one, fighter fort saves to lvl 6, fighter will saves to lvl 5, sorc will save at 6 (they both have the same ref save).  Where as a Sorc 6 that decides to pick up fighter for 7 would be Sorc BaB/Health/Fort save to level 5, and fighter/sorc for level 6, rerolling HP for that level and choosing the higher option (will require bookkeeping to know what you rolled for each level up to that point, but with only 5 rolls to level 6 it shouldn't be that hard).  So our lvl 7 sorc -> sorc/fighter managed to roll a 4 when he got level 6, if he rolls a 3 for ftr then he can keep the 4, but if the roll is 7 he can switch to that...  Gesalting this way should add about 1/3 of a character level each level for purposes of calculating CT, I believe, it's been a while since I've run a gesalt campaign and I'm not too sure off the top of my head.  But this keeps the feel of what characters were able to accomplish in tolkiens stories fairly evenly, while still allowing advancement and eventually new monsters at the high end.
One can cure oneself of the not un- formation by memorizing this sentence: A not unblack dog was chasing a not unsmall rabbit across a not ungreen field.  Orwell

(13:23:49) (Chinchillas): See? You can write like an 4$$h013 when you're not writing like a pompous 4$$h013.

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 12:15:45 PM »
story of sama, two side

the church tells that there was once a 17th god who was slain by a dark outsider.  this 17 was a baldr expy, beautiful beyond words and loved by all.  the outsider was smote by the gods for his sins, losing his eye which became the moon.  Unfortunately before the gods could kill him he fled into the wilderness, becoming the god of evil we all know and love.  Baldr currently resides in the land of the dead, unable to return until the end days, his soul is guarded by his former lover the goddess of death because yeah...  Anyway, they can look at eachother but until the end of the world they can never actually be togther, it's a touching story, really I swear.

Samahen story is that Sama got fed up with the deciet and lies of the other gods and left, but not before cuting out his own eye so that he could watch what they were doing in the rest of the world, because while he could hide himself from them, eh didn't want them to hide themsevles from him....  Still lover of Death, only this time instead of her watching his soul for all eterninity he came to her and told her his plan, where she said that she couldn't turn against the other gods because that would screw the naturual order something fierce, she was sickened byt he lies of the other gods though, sho she promised to remain neutral in the coming conflict, and tricked her brother, the god of secrets and hidden things, into giving his word to never tell the other gods the location of Sama.  Also touching, the end.

Note to self - orcs never stop growing, which is what kills them (or cancer).  The cube square law combined with problems of pumping blood to their body means that they die of heart failure long before they'd reach old age.

#2 - because samahen would naturally gravitate to skills used by their god during his time as assassin for gods, doppelgangers.  Only problem being how to insulate samahen society from them?  True seeing isn't available until clr lvl 9, which puts it out of the e6 w/ slight plus, though just putting it down as knowledge domain 3 would do it, and the previous 2 lvls aee detect spells anyway...  So behind the lines spies/saboteurs, socially genderless (what's the point of gender constructs when you can be any gender you want at any given time?).  So changling myths are an actual problem, might not have the mainline catholic church split, if only to keep a strong inquisition, but frequent protestant offshots are likely, generally even more militant than mother church.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 02:36:25 PM by Pariah »

Offline Pariah

• The Guildless
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 04:28:57 PM »
Samahen megafauna - improving on nature because we can.  Most 'dire' animals can be directly traced back to samahen intervention, often for before they began tampering with their own genome (though possibly sfter the creation of the original goblins ((hob might in this case be sahahen for improved or mk 2))) These origanal mods are just improvements on the base creature, with little, if any importations from other species, only in so far as needed to nake herbavore/carnivore properly ominvores to improve survival odds.

Next up in the line would be the less fantastic chimeras and diversnces from the norm, winged lizards (drakes and psuedo dragons), owlbears, krenshar, so on and so forth.  Combined with the knowledge gained making the servator races and the dires, samahen biomancers began their improvements to their own genestock at this piint.

Finally there would be the truely fantastic and dangerous creatures, from rust monsters to actual dragons.  Any sub about this process almost has to be a scholarly tretise with individual monster entries afterward...