llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Independent Computer Games  (Read 2780 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Elite Systems Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Elite Plot Guild
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
Independent Computer Games
« on: November 24, 2004, 07:15:34 PM »
I love computer games!

<rant>
I used to breathe computer games, eat computer games, dream about computer games... Lately I have become disenchanted with them.
The story quality is dropping while the graphics and frame rates are increasing. Designing for the mainstream market has become a buzzword in the industry and less attention is paid to the games that are really worthwhile and fun: The CRPG's with soul, great action and intriguing storyline.
</rant>

To the point:
-Anyone out there with decent to great programming skills? Art skills? Sound skills?
-Do you like games like X-Com, Europa Universalis, Fallout and Planescape: Torment ?

I'm just wondering. Right now I really don't have the time to even write this, let alone create a game.

I am thinking about the future, about independent game creation, about free and downloadable fantasy games.

It won't hold any monetary rewards for us, but it will be fun!
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Gold Creator 10 Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Questor Elite Systems Guild
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2004, 10:06:44 PM »
designable characters like in the sims, so in case you dont like blondes with hair like ice-bergs (d**n you Cloud!) you dont have to stare at them for days of your life that the game invariably consumes.

Multiple Vehicles that make Random encounters more fun, Mounted Warriors! Chariots, War Wagons, a blown '65 Barracuda. Partial cover, mounted weapons, mobility over armor.

Strip Clubs. Duke Nukem had Strip Clubs. Taverns, brothels, and Inns are standard fantasy fair, how about putting them into the game more than just rest/restore HP.

[/rant]

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 07:16:53 AM »
Not that I had time. Not that I had the talent. Not that I were a good programmer.

But one day, who knows? It might be great fun.

Until that day, we may as well try our hands on something smaller, but perhaps funny, too? The Labyrinth recieved a new idea boost, and if I get past data analysis, I may create some base that we can expand on.

Pity it may take a few months. :)

(Considering the classical platform: PHP with some database, but graphics will be needed too. One day.)
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2005, 05:04:57 PM »
A few suggestions:
A lot of sidequests. They are what make the game fun after the story is played out, or while the player is burned out on the main storyline.

Good storyline!

Have a goal that the player actually wants to complete; another way to put this is, don't make the game too weird. A lot of people are satisfied with just saving the princess, but not many will be satisfied with a goal of replacing the nine arms of the spleen growing within the fifth abyss of strangeness.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Elite Systems Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Elite Plot Guild
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2005, 08:01:21 PM »
Yes, storyline is what games today miss!

And... Do you suggest I drop my fifth bionuclear key to the trancendant vacuum?

Awww... That mission was half the fun!
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2005, 08:17:04 PM »
Oh, and another thing-
If you can't or don't want to put in a bunch of sidequests and such, try to pull a Halo on 'em: Make the game so fast-paced and action-packed that they don't notice how linear it is until they're done.

Offline Kinslayer

• The Glorious One
  • Master
  • Doom
    • http://Lost-Souls.co.nr
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2005, 08:46:34 PM »
Or, we could just see what's popular already, jack up the computing requirements to see the graphics properly, and release our own clone of the already-successful--preferably by taking a license we already own & beating it to death, along with LOTS of sequels to anything if we can find at least one buyer...

Oh, wait, I think there are already too many game design companies that have beaten us to this marketing strategy...
Midian Dark Fantasy Roleplaying Game
The Official Game of the Internet
http://Lost-Souls.co.nr
http://Lost-Souls.hk.st

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Gold Creator 10 Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Questor Elite Systems Guild
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2005, 08:50:31 PM »
One of the things i remeber about FFVII was the arcade in the Golden Saucer. you could go in and replay some of the earlier game situations in a mini-game format. In one point earlier in the game you had to control a submarine on an underwater hunt for enemy mini-subs, and shoot them down with torpedoes.

I played that game until it started awarding me really weird prizes for beating the game. I didnt play for the prizes, they were secondary to the fun of diving and rolling a mini-sub while launching a swarm of hunter-seeker torpedoes at some enemy red sub.

Another mini-game I remember is that in Breath of Fire III you could go fishing. I mean buy lures, and poles and all sorts of stuff, learn combos with the fishing pole to catch better fish. plus, most of the fish could restore health, and some could be used in game. Throw and octopus, blind your opponent with ink.

Eye candy is no substitute for good gameplay (fast paced action) or good story-telling.

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2005, 09:01:04 PM »
What do you guys prefer out of these two then?
1. Uber killing machine. This one slays enemy after enemy, relentlessly and never ending. Similar to many games like HalfLife, Diablo, Halo, etc, etc. No amount of enemies is too much, and the end boss better beware.

2. Tactic combat situations. Here every enemy is a challenge and single combat can be dangerous and adrenalin provoking. Examples are Metal Gear Solid, Thief and the like.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Kinslayer

• The Glorious One
  • Master
  • Doom
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2005, 09:39:17 PM »
I like option 2, provided that the game is solvable without recourse to a guidebook.  For example, I know that it's better to avoid fights, but having to low-crawl through a specific area just to find an item that's essential later, isn't very fun if you have to rely upon stumbling upon it on your own... or restarting the game in frustration when you finally come to the part in the game where that item is needed.

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2005, 01:48:04 AM »
Depends on the mood. Mostly number 2 since I prefer the sneaking vs. the frontal battles.

I am not a huge game player as time is spent differently but I like getting into Rogue Spear and being surprised when I stand up and get nailed. I would probably love Thief but never got around to trying it.

I also really did like the Diablo series just because it was simple and measureable and I could jump in and out of it for mindless fun for as long or as short as I wanted. It was just mindless carnage that, for some reason, was just fun.

I don't have the time, but stuff like Baldur's Gate and Daggerfall (haven't played anything else but the original) are my type of games.

One of my favorite was Realms of the Haunting. Puzzle/Adventure/Killing monster thing. Old now, but I think it was a great game.

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2005, 09:45:06 AM »
While questions such as these might seem  trivial, they are actually quite important design issues. Personally I have grown exceedingly tired of the assembly line enemies of Diablo and the like. I have no problems understanding people who do like them, as I was exhilarated when Diablo 1 first entered the market. I'm a jaded gamer I guess.

So to recap:
-Sneaking and single combat is ok. I have an idea about single combat pacing, as to keep it exhilarating and fun.
-Minigames are fun
-Storytelling and sidequests are a must
-Designable characters is preferred
-Immersion is important(Inns more than just a restore HP location)

My thought then is that Peter Molyneux was indeed on the right track when he created Fable. The game sought to be immersive, although it did not succeed on enough levels. I will think on this.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2005, 09:47:59 PM »
Yes, Fable was indeed on the right track, but not with one foot off in the brush.

I enjoy both choice 1 and choice 2, though I would prefer a more moderated version of choice 1, in which it is possible to actually lose (*Diablo and Fable players gasp in horror*).

However, and perhaps in saying this I am a strange person, but I somewhat prefer the battle systems of console RPGs such Suikoden 3 and the Star Ocean series- a 3d or layered battlefield where the enemies and characters battle each other, moving freely across the area.with RPG-stat trappings. This allows both careful planning ("We'll send one character so, and another so, and bam, we have a pincer attack.") and fast-paced action (in fact, in the underrated Star Ocean 3, the battle system is very similar to a fighting game.)

Offline Kinslayer

• The Glorious One
  • Master
  • Doom
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2005, 01:42:18 AM »
Quote from: "CaptainPenguin"
... But not with one foot off in the brush.

I'm not familiar with this phrase.

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2005, 07:56:11 PM »
Ahem... That should've been:

"but not without one foot off in the brush".
Off the path = off in the brush. You understand? Brush, as in foliage, off the path?

Offline Kinslayer

• The Glorious One
  • Master
  • Doom
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2005, 09:19:40 PM »
Play off of the vagaries of "track."  I get it now.

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Alia Clerya G. Sukory

• ~Arcain mage~
  • Adept
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2005, 11:39:07 AM »
When creating a game you should have the grephics, map planing, GM's(even not needed), character planning and mostly the most annoying to fix for me is the sounds! But the best game I only knew that the graphics is the place is 3D but the characters are 2D for better looks... and Oh yeah! the Items!
Don't worry I used the back of the sword... oops it's double sided, sorry....
My long journey for immortality is also known as fame....

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2005, 08:19:44 AM »
Idea completely stolen from: http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Scary_20House_20Guest#1018480306, read it there in its completness.

The character is a ghost.

Yes, you are dead, and can spend the (mean-)time haunting houses, taking care of unfinished businesses, and complete side quests. A dark underlying plot may unveil eventually.

A ghost is immaterial and invisible, so can travel anywhere and see everything, but interaction with the world is limited. There would be an "ectoplasmic reservoire" that limits your actions, but the more people believe in your existence, the higher this potential gets. But some people are very sceptical...
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.

Offline Druid_Wiking

• The Last Freethinker alive.
  • Journeyman
    • Awards
Re: Independent Computer Games
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2006, 03:33:30 PM »
Has anyone in control thought about adding even a half-assed java or php gui to the various diceless games here? I think it would be good to have (providd that he who started the campaign decide whether or not to use it, it should NOT be mandatory.)
The roleplaying games were never a danger.
Indeed, the only ones with real room to be
offended were pagans. As for me, I wish we druids could turn wood to gold. ;)