llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: How do I make a Munchkin weapon...not so Munchkinish?  (Read 1573 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Cheka Man

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
How do I make a Munchkin weapon...not so Munchkinish?
« on: October 18, 2005, 10:07:23 PM »
The weapon is a blade that can create a black hole large enough to suck in and kill a dragon-the catch is it sucks in the wielder and the sword too.(orginly there were two such weapons but one had it's ultimate power used.) The weapon has a far smaller power of creating tiny black holes that last a second,deepening the wounds caused by the weapon.I would think to use the minor power would harm the weilder in some way.

As it is it still belongs on a Munckin Utility Belt.I'm looking for ideas on how to purge it of it's munchkin trait whilst retaining some of it's fearsome power.

Offline Maggot

• Insectoid Horror Of Canberra
  • Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Questor Society Guild Elite Society Guild Locations Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 11:49:57 PM »
Possible solution: Make the power of the sword a mirror of the wielders personal prowess,both mental and physical. Thus,in the hands of a mighty warrior who is confidently poised to do battle with a wrym on the rampage,it would be tool of awesome devastation. But if used in battle by a man terrified of wading into battle and who seizes the sword only as a last desperate resort to save himself from death,the effect would be barley visible..

Hope that helped.
“I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak.” -Bill Watterson

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Questor Locations Guild Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 08:17:53 AM »
Considering it destroys the sword and kills the wielder, it seems more like a weapon created for a specific purpose and to create the power requires a great sacrifice. That, I don't think, makes it too munchkin-like.

The small black holes it makes, how about that the black hole allows the blade to go deeper, but if it goes too deep the black hole is such that it curves space so that the sword goes through the black hole and comes out into the wielder in the same place he is stabbing the victim.

So I stab Joe Evil NPC in the shoulder and continue to push through, the push will eventually come out my own shoulder. Maybe the blade will _never_ go through another person, the black hole will stop it from coming through the otherside and instead put it through the wielder. The wielder would have to train himself not to stab too far else get himself. So each hit would require much more concentration and finesse.

---That is where this is familiar.

1) Spiderman had an enemy that attacked through these little black hole portals. In this, little black holes would appear all over the place surrounding each of them. You had to choose the correct black hole to punch through in order for it to come out the  correct hole to hit the opposite person.

2) Vampire Hunter D had an enemy that, if stabbed, would not penetrate him, but shift to stab D instead.

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 11:06:13 AM »
Actually, if you don't call it a "black hole". Black hole implies the reality of a metamass that will suck everything in. If the blade is a singularity, why doesn't it suck in some of the world around it (like a few thousand cubic feet of air at minimum), as well as the wielder and the target?

The weapon is just another Ultimate Nulifier.  The effect is the effect, but ignore the whole "black hole" thing. That will trigger fewer annoying bells than anything with Black Hole in the description.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 08:25:46 PM »
I would avoid the whole "small black holes make the wound deeper", because with that, all you have is a weapon that makes bigger wounds. There's nothing  truly interesting about that except a different way to wound people.

Personally, I like Strolen's idea, where you can't cut or stab too deep, or you get yourself in the process.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Cheka Man

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 08:51:09 PM »
I'm thinking that instead of that, the blade can go immaterial for a very short space of time, to pass through another weapon.The catch is...if you do it at the wrong time,all that happens is that you get cut by your opponent's weapon and/or your weapon fails to do damage.So whilst a master swordsman/woman can use it well, a novice one will get killed quickly.