llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Campaign block...  (Read 943 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline D'hui

• Apprentice
    • Awards
Campaign block...
« on: November 17, 2004, 11:45:13 AM »
Hello, back again from whatever realm of imagination I locked myself in a month ago!  I'm writing a campaign (who doesn't?) and my friend who is excellent at pointing out the niggly bits in campaigns you hadn't really thought about has thoroughly nit-picked my ideas and given me a problem.
The basic idea is half-knicked from Warcraft 3's original campaign in that some ancient evil is about to destroy the world and the PCs have to persuade the human leaders to run away to the legendary Homelands.  However, the one problem is: why did the races leave the Homelands in the first place? *pauses for thought, scratches head, comes up with great idea - ask other people!* I'd like to give him a good shock with an uber idea he can't find a fault with - can anyone help, please?  Begging will happen if so demanded.
Two basic ideas I've had so far are
1) The homelands have never yet been colonised but were built in anticipation of the cataclysm approaching, and
2) Something went wrong in the Homelands and the guardians were forced to make the Races leave.
I thought therefore I was, but then YOU started thinking and that really put me off.

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Gold Creator 10 Elite Questor Elite Systems Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
Campaign block...
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 12:47:24 PM »
Since they are legendary, that makes their existance questionable. Perhaps they in truth do not exist, or if they do they are a far shadow from what is expected of the Legendary Homelands. The fact that people seemingly originated from them is entirely myth, a folklore propigated into the realm of semi-truth.

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Campaign block...
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 04:57:39 PM »
Perhaps you could combine Option A and Scras' idea- The Homelands do exist, but why wouldn't you leave, when they totally suck?
Perhaps they're burning wastelands, or a vast poisonous swamp. Maybe they're just so full of monsters that nobody could live there.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Campaign block...
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2004, 05:07:56 PM »
Another mixture.

The homelands are actually quite small, perhaps an island or an isolated part of land, and have scarce resources for a large race. They left them originally because the soil was abused and gave no more good crops, forrests were almost totally destroyed, hunting was almost nil and the people were starving. Trade wasn't enough to sustain them and they ran out of stuff to use as trade. They had to move and so abandoned their 'homeland.'

It is well protected though and by now they can probably survive for quite awhile again and so it *is* pretty protected and could be a good place to retreat to.

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Kinslayer

• The Glorious One
  • Master
  • Doom
    • http://Lost-Souls.co.nr
    • Awards
Campaign block...
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2004, 01:29:37 AM »
There is a significant difference between an original homeland, and a promised land.  

An original homeland can be left because of overcrowding, limited (&/or dwindling) resources, internal pressures, and pressure from other cultures.  War, disease, colonialism, famine, opportunism, and especially overcrowding, can cause cultures to expand or leave.

Promised lands can be mythical, nearly impossible to locate or reach, over-romanticised, &/or occupied by another people.
Midian Dark Fantasy Roleplaying Game
The Official Game of the Internet
http://Lost-Souls.co.nr
http://Lost-Souls.hk.st

Authentic Strolenite®©