llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: AAAAAHHHHHHHH!  (Read 1411 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
AAAAAHHHHHHHH!
« on: November 12, 2004, 06:07:22 AM »
AAAAAHHHHHHHH!

No point, just felt the need.

To undergo the experience of or to be emotionally affected by.

Ever get that annoying feeling that you are wasting time by doing one thing that is needed by others while putting off that other thing that you yourself need to remain sane?

How about when you have time you find you are just beat down and want to relax for a change but by doing that you are neglecting your aforementioned need?

That is me with the rebuild of the new site. It keeps getting shoved off by other matters but when I have time I am already spent and too lazy to start.

Only noticed this when I look back and I am pissed!

It all changed tonight though when I rewrote the database schema and decided to start from scratch...yes, again...but this time I foresee the time and energy to complete it. It might even be surprising about how quickly it comes together. I have supersimplified it while keeping everything I wanted so I am very psyched. The planning is over, the coding begins. <- strike that-- "has began!"

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Article Guild
    • Awards
Re: AAAAAHHHHHHHH!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2004, 06:38:54 AM »
Quote from: "Strolen"
Ever get that annoying feeling that you are wasting time by doing one thing that is needed by others while putting off that other thing that you yourself need to remain sane?

Yeah.

And good luck with the rebuild!
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Systems Guild Gold Creator 10
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
AAAAAHHHHHHHH!
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004, 06:56:09 AM »
When I get that feeling it is time for a beer.

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Maggot

• Insectoid Horror Of Canberra
  • Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Society Guild Elite Society Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Locations Guild Questor
    • Awards
AAAAAHHHHHHHH!
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2004, 07:47:56 AM »
Yeah,beer does help.
“I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak.” -Bill Watterson

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Adel

• King
    • Awards
AAAAAHHHHHHHH!
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2004, 11:50:52 AM »
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ... just didn't want to feel left out! Good luck Strolen! :lol:
Adel
a simple girl with a complex past

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
AAAAAHHHHHHHH!
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2004, 05:49:58 PM »
mmmmmmmmm.....beeeeeeeeeer

Going to climb Mt. Fuji with my young'n today. Might as well ask the 'old wise man of the mountain' for any bits of advice while I am there.

Level 3

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Elite Systems Guild Elite Plot Guild Elite Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
AAAAAHHHHHHHH!
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2004, 04:23:15 AM »
Say hi to Fuji-san will you?

And if you find any bottled kittens on the way.... *giggle*

BUT:
Why do you keep starting from scratch Strolen?
-Artistic / design issues?
-Code complexity issues?
-Other?

Remember that we are here to help if you need it :D
(We might not be Fuji-san, but we talk more :roll: )
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
AAAAAHHHHHHHH!
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2004, 04:53:08 AM »
You have asked a very pertinant question that, if answered, would probably be the solution I am looking for.

Probably because starting from scratch seemed so daunting but modifying what I had, which is a cobweb of intertwined modifications, seemed hopeless. It took me making a good start down each of these paths before I got too discouraged. Then I tried the easy way out by using somebody else's system and rewrote that until I figured out it was a mess or not worth all the time I must spend rewriting it.

So it took me 4 false starts before I realized the easiest way I can get everything I want the way I want it is to build from the ground up. Lessons only experience can teach I suppose.

But these lessons were valuable because there were all kinds of goodies, shortcuts, and ways to use classes I have learned.

Overall it will be good for me, although it delayed the launch of strolen V2.0 by about 8 months. :P

And, yes, artistic is a major problem for me. Next site will probably use all the same stuff from this one until I can beg Kate to put together something for me. And that will be good because I am designing so I can use themes and change the templates easily for design and art purposes.

Mostly other. I love to code and I love to explore stuff but also get bored with things easily. I love the problem but then get bored once I have solved it. But I created this site in about 1.5 months working a few hours a day doing the grind and I expect that I will about match that with this one now that I have finally started. Speaking of which, I must continue. Clearing the test site now and building databases.

Cheers. You will hear from me soon. :-)

Level 3