Formerly Halos and the Ring of Spheres
I am revamping this now. Here are the original threads in their original orders. The new stuff starts Here: http://www.strolen.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=30107#30107
We Now return to the original thread. That got your attention I'm sure. This is a campaign setting I am working on. This campaign is set on a series of world (where most are fantasy environments), linked by a gate platform. Standing on said platform transfers you to either the next world in line or a central nexus (where you can scoot across the growing ring of worlds). Upon these worlds are Avatars, being with Halos. They have special abilities beyond those found on their world. These avatars have built up several organizations on the Ring of spheres: The Proctor's Guild, Earth Alliance, Wave Guild, Fire League, Zepher Guild, Frost League, Noble Alliance (challanging proctor's rights), Goblin Horde, several other minor ones, and the most strange: Church of Eternal Life. The Avatars adventure, intrige, and compete with each other for their own admusement. Avatars AKA Halos
Avatars are special beings that exist on these worlds. (To each other and sleepers, they have this visible halo... hence the name). Avatars are different from standard linear beings. Each avatar is latent in a number of beings, but only conscious in one at a given time. The consciousness of the Avatar then comes to the forefront in the person (the Persona). Once conscious in a persona, the Avatar will (generally) be active in that one form/ persona until its death. Upon the Persona's death, the Avatar will awaken in another of its forms with all the memories (and much of the personality) of its previous incarnation.
An Avatar's knowledge and experience follows them around, but the specific of skills are not. Those are dependent upon the persona. So while a roguishly orriented Avatar is restricted by the move silently skill level of their persona, the avatar will know how to make the most of that skill because of its experience. If the Roguishly orriented Avatar takes on a Martially orriented persona, it will have few roguish skills to utilize. But it can utilize the warrior skills of its Persona quiet easily.
When an Avatar takes on a new persona, the persona "awakens"; it is aware that it has always been the Avatar but has merely been sleepwalking through their current life. Some Avatars utilize the persona's personality and history, taking on that role; while others just "take over" and ignore the persona's previous life. The rest of the beings in the worlds fall under the categories of mundanes (normal people who stay in their one place and don't do as much as adventurous sorts) and sleepers (who have a bit of initiative, but mostly follow avatar's orders) Sleepers are personas that are not active.
Those with Halos have a number of other odd abilities:
1) The Ability to Broadcast words to every other Avatar on a Sphere. The Avatar must speak these words, loudly. If Avatars choose to pay attention, they can hear these comments. The Avatar who is paying attention can hear these words (but no one else by them can).
2) The ability to Send words to specific avatars on a sphere. They must know the names of the given avatar (which is different from their personal name). Again the words must be spoken out loud. These specific words are automatically heard by those
3) The ability to locate other Halos on any sphere. They must know the names of the given avatar (which is different from their personal name). The Avatar can feel for a given avatar. They will know what sphere(world) and sometimes what region of that world they target avatar is.
4) The Avatar knows more about their environment than than normal. They are accutely aware of their exact physical and mystical states. By spending a moment in concentration, they can become vastly more aware of things in their environment (finding traps, locating things, identifying people and monsters, learning exact location, and so on.)
5) Each Avatar can have an affiliation with an Avatar Group. When they wear the group's color/ pattern, they activate it... causing it to glow. Thus Avatars know who is actually a member of their group. The Proctor's control rank symbols (more on those later).
6) An Avatar can choose to "sleep". The character's halo dims. The character then functions as a sleeper (going through the motions. They will follow their troupe around, defending themselves, until they can settle down in a village or city. Once the avatar awakens and the halo returns to its bright self. The Sleeping function is related to a Matrix Save (see Eternal Life), except you never know exactly where you will be when you return.
Avatars who have sleeping persona's are either taking care of some cosmic business off the ring for a time OR are activating another persona. Note: If an Avatar interacts directly or indirectly (like an equipment drop) with a persona, they suffer a penalty imposed by the proctors, usually 100-500 Coyns OR the death of every persona involved. Those intentionally aiding others in the circumventing these rules, will be penalized the same way.
7) An Avatar can will itself to die. This allows the Avatar to take on a new persona. An Avatar can will itself to sleep. The Persona will sleep a natural amount of time and will arrouse as a sleeper if the Avatar is not awake.
Each Persona is a character of its sphere, with appropriate skill and power sets. If their homesphere has "special rules" they will follow those rules. (Mostly these rules will be variations on what skills are available, but other options are possible.) Most of the spheres follow the same "common rules". Most "special rules" are not applicable to other spheres. For example, a SuperHero sphere allows for meta powers. It is only a small fraction of other spheres that allows characters to use meta-powers. So the character has all these abilities, but can't use them (or finds them translated if the character was a superhero telepath and went to a psychic sphere).
An Avatar can active any of their personas from any of the spheres they have visited or can visit. Gifts/ Feats
Akashic Hearing: The Avatar is aware of every Shout sent out, even if they are not paying attention. (Most of the time the Avatar must make a Notice type check to hear said Shout). They still can choose to ignore it, but they are aware it happened.
Akashic Touch: The Avatar knows certain avatars by feel. They can send and locate given Avatars simply by knowing their persona's name (if that persona is active). They can also recognize with some kind of notice check Avatars they know no matter what persona they are wearing.
Akashic View: The Avatar can stop and concentrate for a time and search the astreal Akashic Record for information about a Sphere, Mundane, or Group. The depth of the search determines the time taken.
Akashic Search: Like Akashic View, but the Avatar can search the record to see if they can find another Avatar's experience in a given situation. It will give the experience in general strokes. This takes quite quite a bit of time, usually 6d6 minutes but sometimes more.
Akashic Search Gyld: Like Akashic Search except it searches only the experiences of a Gyld the Avatar is part of. It provides more detailed information than a general Akashic Search, but it takes about the same amount of time.
Akashic Communication: The Avatar stops and concentrates for a while. The avatar scribes information into the Akashic record for others with Akashic Communication to read. This is like a "Shout" except it just hangs there until people answer it. The character must take time and look to see if anyone else scribed an answer. Many Avatars use this to set up deals, adventuring groups, or pass information along to their Guild.
Akashic Scrolls (Req. Akashic Search): The Avatar must focus upon the target Avatar and must be two of the following (Immediately near the Avatar, Know the Avatar's name, Know their Gyld affilliation, Know their persona name. The Avatar concentrates for a while 1-6 impules. They can review the Scrolls of Personality in the Akashic Library. This will give them some basic information about the Avatar they focusing on (Such as the Name and Archetypes of all their active and most recent personas, Avatar name, Gyld Affiliation, any badges, awards, or emblems they might have, and the last time they were awake).Updated 11/17