llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Ogre Raid.  (Read 15456 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Maggot

• Insectoid Horror Of Canberra
  • Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Society Guild Elite Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Questor
    • Awards
Ogre Raid.
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2004, 08:53:33 AM »
The Ogres pulled closer together,determined not to fall to the attacks that seem to come from everywhere at once.Up went the great shields again,deflecting the next volley of arrrows fired at them.They had not come this far to be defeated.No,Heron Feather's death would not be in vain.They would win today,no matter what it cost.

Even as Crazy Hawk continued to bellow orders to his warriors to hold the formation they had assumed,he pushed through the ranks,seeking out the human commander that had wielded  magic against them.When he found the little louse,he would rip his entrails out.
“I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak.” -Bill Watterson

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Systems Guild Gold Creator 10 Elite Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
Ogre Raid.
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2004, 10:28:00 AM »
This must be the gray that clouded Bairds sight of the future... Graeme thought as the momentum gained by the cavalry strike and the rangers sudden appearance seemed to be abating as the ogres were drawing in their own ranks, seemingly at the command of a second charismatic leader. The field was already becoming a soup of bloody mud, that of human, horse and ogre. His men were tiring, and against human opponents the field would have already been won.

He drew back, moving away from a pair of ogres who tried to catch him in a pincer attack. The strength and endurance of the larger ogres was coming into play as they still carried more stamina than his men. The leader seemed to be advancing through the ranks of his ogre warriors. Ogres liked to engage leaders and kill them for the honor of the matter. He had no illusions about his chances of defeating the new ogre chieftan...it galled him, but he would have to concede the field to the ogres.

"Captain, Prepare for a fighting retreat." Graeme said, wiping sweat from his forehead with the back of his sleeve. Despite the sudden rain, he was still buring up from the weight of the armor he wore, and the exertion of battle. "We will fall back to Gilgalath. I will send word to my brother to send reinforcements as soon as possible. With a battle like this, the Emperor cannot ignore the northlands any longer."

The banner captain mounted his horse, and rode down the line of the men, shouting the command to close ranks and prepare for withdrawal. Graeme accepted the reins of his horse from one of the grooms and mounted also, making himself more visible to the men.

"Hand me a crossbow." He said, accepting the weapon from one of the men on the ground. He sighted the weapon, letting his eye focus beyond the end of the wood and steel weapon to the distant head of the advancing ogre leader. "My will be done..." he whispered and pulled the release latch. The crossbow jerked as the string was released, launching the bolt with nearly 120 pounds of pull, enough to punch through platemail at close range.

I wonder, my worthy foe, will you see the dart that comes for you?

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Sentinel

• Master
    • Awards
Ogre Raid.
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2004, 10:56:37 AM »
The Wood Elves moved through the battlefield with Swtiz and his men to the Banner Captian where Sentinel bowed his head honorably to Graeme.
"M'lord, I have over two dozen rangers at your command from the Wood Elf Realm. Some time ago we were sent here to train the Caladin Knights, it seems that just in time to see war. I will discuss battle plans with you later at Gilglath."
And with that he mounted a horse and so did his men as they started heading to Gilgalth. It seemed that the foriegner Wood Elf had assumed control over most of the present Imperial Soldiers, along with his Rangers, he was a formiddable foe. He yelled out to his rangers in the Anawaith Battle Tongue and started moving away from the battlefield
Evil Is A Faceless Stranger,
Living In A Distant Neighborhood
Evil Has A Wholesome, Hometown Face
With Merry Eyes And An Open Smile
Evil Walks Among Us, Wearing A Mask
Which Looks Like All Our Faces

Offline Akuma

• Apprentice
    • Awards
Ogre Raid.
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2004, 07:56:19 PM »
As Akuma moved south east away from the battle field his acute hearing picked up a faint whisper of elvish on the wind.
His hear skipped a beat. "Could they have followed me here, all this way?...No they must be here to give aid." He thought to himself. He began to head south towards the great fortress he know to be there waiting for him many leagues away.
" Gilgalath here I come"

Offline Sentinel

• Master
    • Awards
Ogre Raid.
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2004, 08:08:33 PM »
Sentinel whistled and came a messanger with a hawk. He nodded to the ranger and wrote quickly on a piece of parchment that he would need at least 200 more rangers to come as fast as they could form the guild. He attached it to the leg of the hawk and whispered a small spell to the hawk to fly to its destination. He gave the hawk back to the messanger who launched it off his forearm.
"These humans will have to be shown the proper meaning of aid."
He said as he shook his head.
"I hope they will be smart and call for reinforcements to Abasil. Even with a legion or two of Abasil Soldiers, they may be able to push back the ogres."
He shrugged. He doubted the humans would call on aid from a Wood Elf country, fiecly independent of their heritage and would most likely pull on its already straining resources. Sentinel sighed, he could do nothing about it. It would be their fault if they fell, not his. Though if need be, he would give all the help he could to fight the hordes of the fiendish ogres.

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Systems Guild Gold Creator 10 Elite Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
Ogre Raid.
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2004, 09:04:18 PM »
"Just like an elf." Graeme said as the retinue of Anawaith rangers moved quickly away, their hoofbeats retreating towards Gilgalath. "Quick to pledge support, and then dart away to safety."

"But milord, he said he would aid us..." one of the undercaptains said, face slick with sweat and grime.

"I will not turn his help away, but neither will I rely on it. The elves are a fading race and one not to be overly dependant on." he said as the men covered their retreat with a deadly hail of crossbow bolts. Most of the bolts did little damage, embedding themselves into the thick wooden shields of the ogres, but enough brought wounds to the advancing ogres and was able to give them enough pause that the humans could disengage from the ogrish horde.

"In the past, too often we have supported them, or relied on their patronage and have been burned for it. Like the adage goes, never march with an elf." Graeme said. "Drink their wine, enjoy their music and screw their women, but never march with them."

Offline Maggot

• Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Society Guild Elite Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Questor
    • Awards
Ogre Raid.
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2004, 10:39:05 PM »
Even as Crazy Hawk continued to force his way through the ranks of warriors towards the diabolical human commander,he saw his foe raise a crossbow and fire a quarrel at him.He only had a moment to register the shining siver bolt as it flew towards him,swift as his name sake,before it thudded into his chest.

Crazy Hawk crashed to the ground realizing that today he would join his Chief,never to be separated from him again.As distraught warriors crowded around him,he gasped with his dying breath''The battle.How goes it?'' With tears streaming down his scarred face,a grizzled veteran answered softly. ''Victory is nigh,Crazy Hawk.Even as I speak,the humans fire arrows to cover their cowardly retreat.You and Chief Heron Feather have bought us victory with your blood.''

A slow,joyous smile spread across Crazy Hawk's face.''Then our sacrifce was not in vain.Snake Tail of the Roqua tribe will be the new War Chief,now that I will walk with Heron Feather down the hall of ancestors.''With a final effort he raised his head ot the heavens and yelled ''My Chief,I come to  you now!'' Then his head slumped back,never to rise again.Still weeping, the grizzled warrior closed the eyes of Crazy Hawk and ordered a pyre to be prepared for him,next to that of Heron Feather's.The faces of the others too were stamped with intense grief,as they watched the body of Crazy Hawk placed on the pyre which was then set alight.Once again,chanting filled the air,as the soul of the fallen warrior was borne to the ancestors.Victory had come today,but at a great price.Now that both Heron Feather and Crazy Hawk were dead,young Snake Tail would have to lead the Clans.And as for the human that had slain Crazy Hawk from afar,too craven to face the warrior face to face in an honorable fight,he would pay dearly.No matter where he hid,the Ogres would never rest till they dragged from his lair and slew him for the cowardly murderer that he was.
“I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak.” -Bill Watterson

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
Ogre Raid.
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2004, 07:07:50 AM »
The tread of feet towards Gilgalath was quick despite the weariness of the troops. The ogres seemed to have pulled away form persuit and were in the process of burning their dead, or at least their leaders. Graeme was disturbed, he had always been told that Ogres ate their dead, chopping them into bloody hunks and eating the meat raw. The men moved lively as who knew how long the ogres would do what they were doing before taking up persuit again.

It had been a lucky shot that had dropped the ogre leader, looking to be a heart shot. Luck. Mostly he knew it was luck because he had been aiming at the large misshapen head. He was already formulating a plan to deal with the ogres newfound ingenuity. The shields were the more pressing concern. The wood was thick enough that it would require a ballista to punch through it, which was not a good option. Ballistas fired too slow to be of use against such a horde of foes.

He smiled as the answer came to him. It was an old weapon, the pilum. Essentially a long, heavy javelin, the pilum was made to defeat shields. It was sharp enough to embed deep into them, and then, being made with a good deal of lead, to bend at awkward angles, dragging the shield down by virtue of shifting the center of the shields weight away from the wrist and out several feet in front. For the ogres, it would take several pilums to do that, but he had a plan and that was better than nothing.

Offline Sentinel

• Master
    • Awards
Ogre Raid.
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2004, 10:09:56 AM »
Sentinel and his men reached the gates of Gilgalth soon and were already moutning the battlements looking east as the men spread word around of what had happened at the battle. Four thousand Imperial Soldiers dead and thousands more wounded. This dismayed the soldiers as they heard word that the King of Caladin was ordering all armies to be pulled back from the west and to prepare for battle with the ogres. Word had reached Abasil soon of the war and four legions of Abasil calvary were moving quickly towards the western ports of Calan. The Dejy reserves were moving quickly around the continent on their great ships to attack the ogres from the rear, while a large legion that had been occupying the north was moving to attack the ogres from the north, while from the south in the capital of Calan, the great Caladin Knights were mounting a large army to attack the ogres from the south for revenge of what had happened to their greatest knight, Skene Whitewing.
Sentinel came with Switx to the officers cabin where they stood at a large table looking on maps.
"The ogres have been slowed, but they most likely will continue towards us if they know of the forces moving towards them. They can't move east, back to the swamp, because we have Dejy legions moving west on them, diverting passed the swamp. They can't move south because the Knights of Caladin move north on them. They can't move north because Skahil moves his legions south on them. They are trapped and so they must pass us or be surrounded."
Switx nodded and leaned back. Switx was a grixxled old knight, some 60 years old and had fought many an ogre in his life, but nothing like this.
"If they bring all their power on this fortress it might fall. Then they will reach the western port cities and burn them to the ground. They could even go around us and leave us to ourselves."
Sentinel nodded tapping his chin as he thought on this.
"Then we move all our able bodied men and stop them so that they can't and hope to the gods that the other legions will reach us in time."

Offline Beowulf

• Adept
  • If only you knew how to stop someone like me.
    • Awards
Ogre Raid.
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2004, 07:43:03 PM »
Beowulf came hill holding fifty thousand men from Talahar.
I have come to your aid my friend.
He said as he had his archers fire seven volleys towards the enemy.
~Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely.~

Offline Sentinel

• Master
    • Awards
Ogre Raid.
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2004, 08:00:57 PM »
((You must remove yourself from this topic at once. This is not an open rp and that is unreal. You must sign on first and pm me on your charrie's appearence, personality, and motive, maybe even a short history))

Offline Beowulf

• Adept
  • If only you knew how to stop someone like me.
    • Awards
Ogre Raid.
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2004, 08:04:21 PM »
(Alright.)
~Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely.~

Offline Maggot

• Strolenati
  • King
    • Awards
Ogre Raid.
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2004, 08:32:06 PM »
In his great hide tent,Snake Tail had held a war council with the Clan Chieftains.After much arguing and debating,they had finally decided to go make for the costal cities of the human,before reinforcements could be brought to bear down on them.There had been repoerts of the humansmarshalling troops in the south and north for a counter-attack and Snake Tail reaized that he could not face them in battle until more warriors from the Clans made their way to the Horde.

Meanwhile,staying in this ruined place would get them nowhere.They would have to march for the costal cities and hold them as as their base of operations.As for the fotress of Gilglaoth,they would simply avoid it.None of the Clan Chiefs had much apetite for a lengthy seige.As the last Clan Chief departed,he closed his eyes and prayed to the soul of his mentor Crazy Hawk for guidance and victory.Why had he,the youngest of the Clan Chiefs,been chosen to complete the great task Heron Feather had begun?Surely there had been others more worthy of being named succsessor to Heron Feather.How could he,young and callow as he was,lead them to the victory that only Heron Feather could have delivered.Could he fill the boots vacated by a leader that had been a great legend?

Well,there was no point in dwelling on this.The warriors had selected him and he would have to honor their trust by winning and driving the human scourge from their lands.

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Sentinel

• Master
    • Awards
Ogre Raid.
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2004, 08:37:54 PM »
They would have to wait on what Graeme had to say who was supposedly the leader of the mercenary legions. Sentinel sat back down at the head of the table and looked at Swtiz. One thing was decided though, if they did not stop them in battle before they reached the port cities, then they would fall. But something then occured to him. Wasn't the Abasil Legions coming to the port cities. If they reached the cities in time they would be able to strengthen them and then Sentinel would be able to maybe slow the ogres down with guierlla warfare until the ogres reached the cities where the Abasil Legions would be able to fight them off.

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
Ogre Raid.
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2004, 07:20:05 AM »
Graeme felt himself in a fine murderous mood. Some 3000 men of the empire, all hardened soldiers had set out to do battle here on an unexpected field, and instead of taking the victory as he had hoped, they had instead not even drawn, choosing to retreat back to this d**ned stronghold. More than half of the horse, and a third of the foot were left behind, dead. Morale was shaken, these men were not accompanied to loss in such a fashion.

It had been a day of wolves and broken shields. He listened to the constant banter of the other commanders, d**ned Elves and satrap hicks. Both seemed to think that a charge was a brilliant idea, because it had worked so d**n well last time. To beat the ogre horde, they would need a signifigant advantage, as well as major reinforcements.

"All of your noise is getting on my nerves." He said, standing and turned, striding out of the room. He sought the upper passages of the keep, not satisfied until he found the top of one of the fortesses turrets. Reaching the top, he ordered the scout down back into the castle and to not return unless summoned. Graeme settled into a cross-legged position, and laid the scepter across his lap.

Brother, are you there? He enacted the sending, a gift that only worked with his brother, and might work with other blood relations provided they were of sorcerous bent.

I am, how did the battle fare? Baird responded.

Very Poorly, the ogres held the field, though they lost two of their chieftans.

That is good, the old chieftan had great power. His replacement is young, and lacks the temper of his elders. Baird said, his voice seemingly thin across such a distance. I think your chances of victory are greater now for his inexperience.

Offline Sentinel

• Master
    • Awards
Ogre Raid.
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2004, 08:20:45 PM »
Sentinel growled as he sat up, d**n that human! Did he not know that war was in the air, that they could not stay and rest forever? d**n the humans! Believing so much in their superiority to elves, did they not know of the sacrifice the elves were willing to pay. But Sentinel kept his anger in check as he walked out of the cabin and into the keep where he was told that Graeme was in the turret. He went that way and came to the door where he knocked lightly. This irritated Sentinel greatly. He was having to pull many of his strings to help these humans, and he couldn't think why he was doing this. Maybe for honor, who knew?

Offline Akuma

• Apprentice
    • Awards
Ogre Raid.
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2004, 11:56:33 PM »
It took many long hours to travel to the great fortress of the humans but at last Akuma had made it. soldiers were every where and as he tried to enter a guard stopped him.
"Who are you? Where are you going?" the gruff guard asked
"I am Akuma and I am here to do what I can." Akuma said as he showed the man the ogre hand.
"you may pass"
Akuma snaked his way throught the masses skimming supplies from any one not watching their things close enough. He stopped by the armorer and had his repared at twice the cost it should have been due to his appearance. He then sought out the real power holders in this conflict. Making it only to the outer doors of the hall where the battle plans were being discussed he was forced to stop and await permission to enter.
While he waited for the guard to return many thoughts were running through his mind....Did anyone hear my message from the field?....Will they think me a spy?...Will they accept my help?.....

Offline Maggot

• Strolenati
  • King
    • Awards
Ogre Raid.
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2004, 01:59:07 AM »
Snake Tail tossed and turned on the great lion pelt that served as his bed,too tense with nervouness and anxiety to sleep.Of only Heron Faether hadn't fallne to the blade of that human commnader.If only Crazy Hawk had seen the bolt that the cowardly human had fired at him.Toomnly only's.

Just as he despaired of ever pulling himself together,he felt something stir in his mind.Yes,in his mind,the ancestors save him.Cold sweat oozed out of his pores,as he tried to mantain his composure.Was this some vile trick the human soceror was working on him? Fear me not,an etheral voice  suddenly echoed in his mind.As I guided Heron Feather to victory,so shall I guide you.

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Sentinel

• Master
    • Awards
Ogre Raid.
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2004, 06:46:13 AM »
Sentinel knocked once more, this human must be hard on hearing. He leaned against the wall next to the doorway waiting. Why not? The human must think we got all the time in the world. And so Sentinel closed his eyes calming his breathing as he waited patiently.

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
Ogre Raid.
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2004, 06:54:52 AM »
Unable to ignore the knocking at the trapdoor to the roof of the tower, Graeme opened the door, and admitted his visitor. It was the elven ranger Sentinel. Graeme gave him the proper amount of room to not seem offensive, but it was the elf who had intruded upon him while he communicating with his brother. The sending was less stressful than invoking sight beyond sight, but only slightly so.

He looked at the elf, awaiting his responce.

(OOC - Sentinel, I work 12 hour shifts in a factory. I am sorry If I dont post fast enough for you.)

Offline Sentinel

• Master
    • Awards
Ogre Raid.
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2004, 06:59:39 AM »
((Its okay, if you get the chance post, but I understand))

He bowed his head to Graeme fomally ignoring the irritation he hinted in the eyes of the human he tilted his head.
"You know what me must do."
He said carefully, not wanting an outburst of anger.
"We must gather all our strength and use a new knid of warfare against these ogres. We learned today that open battle with them would bring death, but what if we used a sneaky new type, hit-and-run tactics where he strike hard on their flanks and be gone before they know what happened?"

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
Ogre Raid.
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2004, 07:23:29 AM »
"Is it normal for all elves to assume humans are all stupid?" Graeme asked. "Of course I know hit and run tactics. Training to fight them one has to learn them. The empire seldom has reason to resort to such methods, but they still have their value."

He looked out over the battlements. The secret of the tectic was speed, and footmen didnt have the advantage of speed over the ogres, this would have to be a mounted operation. The Silver Boars would remain here, as garrison and reinforcement if needed, but the time for crossbows and pikes was done. He would need his horse, and the remnants of the Grey Company.

"We have to find a way to neutralize their shields. They are quite adept at blocking arrows with them. You might have to get your pretty hands dirty."

Offline Maggot

• Strolenati
  • King
    • Awards
Ogre Raid.
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2004, 10:47:42 PM »
''The Hidden One?''asked Snake Tail.''Are you the same spirit that gave Heron Feather the strength to bring us this glorious victory?''. The one and the same answered the Hidden One. Like Heron Feather,death will not take you until you fulfill your destiny the way Heron Feather did his.Now listen carefully to what I have to say,for everyhting depends on it.

Awed,Snake Tail fell to his knees.''I will obey,Great Father.I will!Tell me what to do.'' March not to the costal cities for a trap awaits you there,the Hidden One replied.Instead,strike them where they least expect it.Strike the humans where it hurts them the most.Hit their precious Imperial City.

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Sentinel

• Master
    • Awards
Ogre Raid.
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2004, 10:55:57 PM »
Sentinel nodded and smiled ruefully.
"That is my job."
He looked out onto the battlements as he corssed his arms over his chest. This war would be long and hard, and he sensed many more lives would have to be sacrifised before victory came to them.
"Indeed. He would use the javalin."
He said, a sharp lace could pierce throuh their shields maybe.

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
Ogre Raid.
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2004, 04:08:54 PM »
"A javelin? It doesnt have the penetrating power. These ogres arent carrying around human sized shields in case you didnt notice. Their shields are easily three to four inches thick. It would take a ram, or a ballista to punch through those shields." Graeme said.

"There is an idea of using a pilum, a soft headed spear that would set into the wood, and throw the balance of the shield off. The ogre would have to loose the protection of his shield before he could remove the pilums."

OOC: Actual weapon and tactic used by the Romans