llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: *Starts a show of flashing colourful lights for attention*  (Read 3185 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Tariel

• Apprentice
    • http://kuoletarkohtalo2.tripod.com
    • Awards
*Starts a show of flashing colourful lights for attention*
« on: October 15, 2004, 03:29:49 PM »
Ok, I just joined here over an old matter but since I hate people who sign up somewhere and never post, I thought it would be best to do something. And since I'm terribly lazy to read other people's posts unless they have a really really interesting title or I am somehow involved, I started a topic of my own. (What a surprise.)

Now I have been interested in roleplaying for ages but I have the bad habit of wanting to control other people's characters too... Ok, maybe I'm getting over it. And I tend to get bored in time. Happens to everyone, right? I get all sorts of ideas but then I never get them to lead somewhere. For example at the moment I am developing grammar for a fantasy language, I have done 1/4 of verb conjugations and most rules for different subjective plural cases and now I can't force myself to continue. I have tried making up a language before, last time I started with a word list and it must be hundreds of words long but I can't remember any of them at the moment. And setting up grammar after making words is not so great idea, you tend to get stuck.

I was once running a roleplay site situated in a nuthouse, but there were only a few players that would stay so I had to shut it down.  :cry: But it was getting boring, anyway. We played for months you see and in that time everyone will lose interest. I really hope no one there reads this post now but I had several accounts to make the place look more populated than it really was, and then the buggers started developing OOC identities too to keep separate. So I ended up playing double roles, each with an ingame and offgame personality and writing style. One was pretty normal, one writing all lower-case and one making loads of typos all the time. I had bad feelings about making the regulars feel bad if they ever found out but I highly doubt any of them will ever wander in here. If yes then I am truly sorry. We had our fun time, sorry that it was based on a lie. I hate lying.

Anyways.. About roleplaying. I mostly like realistic stuff. So even if I play a wizard, she may still have to take a s**t sometimes. I'm 90% interested in fantasy but I mostly like the old-time setting more than dragons and magic. And fighting I hate seriously. I think I have been involved in only one fight during my freeform history (though I played a rogue drow wizard back then) and that ended up in the enemy cornering her and the guy she happened to be with. The only thing that saved them was the other guy surrendering. Then they found out the enemy had had no plans of attacking them before they decided to charge on him. But what do you expect if someone starts sneaking in the darkness outside your campfire? Holler at them and call them in for a cup of coffee?  *raised eyebrow* Back on topic. The 10% is for other stuff then. I played Fallout2 and tried making a tabletop version of it, but I have never had lot of friends to play with, plus I suck as a GM (see above, beginning of chapter 2). Anyways, I love post-nuclear though I have never tried playing it in the Net. And I have also tried present day though I usually don't like it, if not counting my loonie bin game.

About my characters. I love playing mentally ill characters. And also people with disabilities, I have had one almost mute and retarded, one shot in the head and thus mute, one a bit retarded with trouble writing and also a psychological problem of hallusinations and one blind. And I also love playing children or childish characters.

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Systems Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10 Elite Questor
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2004, 03:56:10 PM »
Wow. This, I think, could be the longest and most involved Greetings post in the citadel.

Welcome to the Citadel, and while your story sounds interesting, mostly involving the trials and troubles of maintaining multiple IC and OOC personas, I do hope that said event doesnt occur here. I mean there is no problem with having as many different IC personas as you want, I think I have eight or nine, but lets keep the one Tariel, ifyaknowwhatimean.

I speak about this from personel experience. I ran a PBeM (Play by eMail) game a while back and I had a player who kept creating new identities and signing into the game with new characters, and it created a problem because the other players and myself suspected the subterfuge but could never prove it. It can be difficult to maintain a game when you are not sure of who your players claim to be. This is still a point of contention between said person and myself.

I am not crazy...my psychiatrist says we are better now.

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Tariel

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004, 04:01:55 PM »
Well... I figured if you gotta introduce yourself you might do it right.  :wink:
And about multiple accounts, I know I probably wont have need for that here since I bet the site stays up even without me. Which is a bit scary. I want to be visible, but sometimes you must work a lot to archieve it. I stand behind my words so I have no need for creating extra personalities to say things I would have no courage to blurt out loud as myself... Which may also lead into trouble.  :? But you can always put a gag on me if I start misbehaving. I try not to but sometimes people find me a tad annoying.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2004, 04:59:09 PM »
Nice biography, there, Tariel.
Glad to have you around- you sound like me, 'cept you aren't mean enough to regulate spelling.

I am Captain Penguin, your friendly neighborhood Elder God-worshipping, gibberish-spouting, sophist postnazi pirate. My interests include abominably ancient soul-eating zombie gods who dwell on Jupiter's rings, sophistry, and certain ancient Greek texts on the arts of Egyptian sacred dentistry.

I don't find you annoying so far, though you are a bit long-winded. :)

See you around!
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Pirate Penguin

• Da Penguin Commissar
  • Guardian
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2004, 05:07:30 PM »
hi, i pirate penguin
You may know me from... nevermind just go away

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Elite Systems Guild Elite Plot Guild Elite Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2004, 11:06:00 PM »
Hiya Tariel!

So you're a Fallout fan, eeeh? Well me too! I actually like science-fiction and post apocalyptic games very much and has created a post apocalyptic setting based in Yemen. The setting is full of misunderstood identities, historical fallaciousness and struggle for survival. I like it!

Anyway welcome and may I suggest that you join a roleplay here and perhaps play a disturbed, multiple-personality, disability-ridden character? If you grow bored, another personality could just take over....

*giggle*
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline esaquam

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2004, 11:28:43 PM »
Hello!  Wow, what an introduction - where to start?

What kind of post-nuclear?  Shadowrun weird-tech punk dystopia (hard to picture that without some fighting), or a more social-regress/re-develop recovery scenario (thinking something like A Canticle for Liebowitz or Riddley Walker), or something else entirely?  I never found the high-tech dystopias very engaging, but I have played some "fun"(?!) nuclear-winter social upheaval scenarios.  The latter lends itself nicely to various disabilities and "fallout-induced" mutagenic deformities.  I have not seen much/any similar interest on this site, though, but, hey, let's see who joins in.

Anyway, welcome, enjoy, hope to see some of your stranger thoughts posted.  And don't be too lazy - there is some pretty good stuff in here, though the titles may be booorrrriiinnnngggg.  :P
Esse quam Videri - Being, not seeming

Offline Michael Jotne Slayer

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Retreat now? In our moment of triumph?
  • Awards Item Guild Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2011 Dungeon of the Year 2010 NPC of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2004, 04:51:58 AM »
Greetings Tariel.

Welcome to the citadel. I am Michael Jotne Slayer, though I prefer Michael
or Mike as they usually call me around here.
See you around then.

P.S I am the king of severed leafs.

P.P.S Just as you are aware of it.

Sincerely, Mike
Authentic Strolenite™©®

A skeleton walks into a bar and ask the Bartender: “Do you serve skeletons here?”

Times being what they are the wily Bartender replies: “sure, we serve anyone.”

The skeleton hands the man a silver and says: “Fine, I’ll have a pitcher of beer…and a mop”

Offline Tariel

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2004, 09:25:30 AM »
Greetings, thanks for all the replies. :)

>Ancient Gamer: Yay, always good to find another Fallout fan. :) I don't know what exactly cheers me up in that game, I first came across Fallout 2 when my brother (a year younger than me) had borrowed it from his buddy and left the game open when he left the room. I stared at it for a while, moved the character carefully and finally asked him if I could try. He said that would be alright, since he didn't understand much of it, though he had found all the way to Klamath already. (His English skills at the moment were quite poor.) But anyway, soon I was getting ahead of him with my own saved games and it was me who finished the game. Later I have played it several times and finished three times. I was always mostly a modern gunslinger with some sneaky abilities, somehow I never had the forbearance for developing Talking skill. Strange, that doesn't sound like me at all... :-/
 I also played the original Fallout once, but I found it terribly depressing and I remember having nightmares about being sunk into an enormous vat, all wrapped up in cloth and unable to move... Which does sound a bit sexy when you think about it... Ahem... :-}
 Anyway, probably I will search a game to join soon, though I am d**n lazy, like said before.

>esaquam: I like the idea of people forced into living by the rules of nature, probably a contaminated, mutant-ridden desert ruined by their own actions. Weapons are good for posing and all, but I dislike the idea of some people being just NPCs that are blasted off without a thought. Recently I have played a lot of pacifistic or weak characters, after seeing so many friends die (in game).
 I wish people would make less boring titles, since I cannot force myself to view dozens of discussions that include stuff like.
Quote from: "Imaginary N00b"

"hi. umm, I have this grreeat idea. it's about a wizard and a warrior that go killing some trolls in the mountains and then they find this big mean troll that they need to join their forced and build an über magic weapon of some sort. yeah pleez every one join and I tell you what happens then, I swear this will be so cool!!!

And then half a dozen people chatting in friendly  :twisted:  fashion about how *sarcasm*great*/sarcasm* idea it is. Ok. Luckily I haven't come across anything that terrible yet. But if this site is totally free of that stuff, I'll be terribly surprised.

By the way I just checked "View more Emoticons" and you got some great options here... :)

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2004, 06:54:03 PM »
I am also a fan of post-apocalypse and cyberpunk. I was really enjoying an RP called "How I learned to heart the bomb" that was in un-moderated freeforms, but it seemed to disappear. I'm fond of nuke-winter social-redevelopment rule-by-biker-gangs sort of stuff, like Fallout and (for a more spiritual look at it) Canticle for Leibowitz.
I actually have an idea that I like to call Atomic Barbarian- nuke-winter and then the development of totally new, medieval-tech kingdoms in the US, complete with a barbarian jungle in the Midwest.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2004, 06:55:42 PM »
But then again, I'm also a fan of a genre you probably despise, Tariel- Conan the Barbarian style low magic fantasy, complete with skull-cleaving warrior heroes, malevolent gods, and soulless hideously evil wizards.

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Systems Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10 Elite Questor
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2004, 08:11:22 AM »
Lets see, I've done the Shadowrun thing, my elf was a semi-pro golfer, and hung out with a group of other semi-pro elfin golfers who generally snubbed anyone who couldnt hit at least -10, and speak old gaelic.

Played mercenaries in giant robots who complained constantly about garrison duty, and would gallavent about in their giant robots blowing up stuff, and other giant robots.

A walking talking tree

an ice troll who was actually a genius, but refused to speak to anyone less intelligent than himself

A large variety of soldiers, mercenaries, bounty hunters and criminals of the sword and socery variety

Power mad, delusional mages, the occassional effette vampire,  half deranged werewolf...

And that is all fairly recently.

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Tariel

• Apprentice
    • Awards
Talking trees
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2004, 10:53:00 AM »
You got some nice ones there, Scrasamax. I wonder why a talking tree is a must have in almost every rp. We once joked about that ghoul guy, what's his name again, in Gecko Fallout 2 (and he was also in Fallout 1) that he's the talking tree there. I was once making up a computer game with a program called Toolkit 2 and there was of course also an intelligent (but legless) tree mutated by the radiation, and he was really sad trying to get company. Not to mention ents in LotR.

Offline Cheka Man

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 NPC Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2004, 02:30:08 PM »
Hi Tariel.

It's good to have you here.I'd rp with you if you want to.

Offline Tariel

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2004, 07:53:44 PM »
Sure thing Cheka, you could hop into the Fridge, if you're interested.

At this point everybody's welcome. Just pick a role, edit it a bit and you're in the family. In this case there cannot be a mismatch, since this family is never going to be a common one. Only limitations are present time (starting from 2004 late autumn), and ages preferably ranging from 12 to senility (though maybe taking along grandparents should wait until we get mother here). I still wanna hold place for the youngerst.

Offline Tycide

• Apprentice
    • http://www.cidtechcorp.com/tycide
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2004, 06:36:04 AM »
Tariel, I too am a major fan of the Fallout Series, and was devastated to hear of Brain Fargo getting canned whilst in the middle of Fallout 3 development. My favorite was always Fallout: Tactics, and reaching back to playing 1&2 almost drove me crazy because of the lack of control over the other characters in my party. But it was great to get all the backstory.
As far as the Nuclear Winter/Post-Apocalypse Genre I recently picked up a copy of the D20 Future expansion for the D20 modern system. It has a few rules modules in there very fitting for the setting. Mutations and Progress Levels most specifically, but they also have rules for robots and such, fitting well with the fallout setting.
"The meeting of the twins will bring about the close of time, and the very gods themselves shall fall from the skies..."
-Prophecy of Orphan

Offline Tariel

• Apprentice
    • Awards
Ahh, the good old Fallout memories
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2004, 09:57:53 AM »
>Tycide

I never played Tactics but I remember the brainlessness of NPC companions could be a real pain in the neck in FO2. (I do not remember having a party in FO1.) Things were alright with just one NPC (my characters were never charismatic) but the whole hell broke loose if you had two. The classic example was the mutant Marcus bursting some weaker ally into pieces with his machine gun.  :lol:  That's why I kept saving a lot, in some hard cases even after every fighting turn though that's kinda cheating. I remember the lovely squishy sound effect when someone's chest blows up... Once I had a big party, were there even three of them companions, and the jinx dog and Betsy the cow, so I arranged them close to each other in Klamath and took some snapshots with Print Screen but it of course saves only the last one on the clipboard. I know there's some way of automatically saving screenshots since I once accidentally created one but I can't remember how.

Offline Tycide

• Apprentice
    • http://www.cidtechcorp.com/tycide
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2004, 12:47:20 PM »
> Tariel

Oh, you so have to try Tactics... just make sure you download the patches, or it's beyond frustrating. You can have up to six people in squad, but more in your party, you pick and chose as you need them per mission. Plus you equip each of them fully also. It also comes with a killer editor, if you don't mind the one sided isometric veiw of the whole fallout series. Only game I ever found that could replace my love for X-Com Apocalypse in the turn-based squad combat genre (you can also play it RTS, ala-kin Syndicate and Syndicate Wars)
"The meeting of the twins will bring about the close of time, and the very gods themselves shall fall from the skies..."
-Prophecy of Orphan

Offline Tariel

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2004, 02:45:58 PM »
Hmm, I think my brother used to play Syndicate Wars... Though we didn't understand much of it. I like turn-based, maybe because I do not trust my skills in real time. But I remember reviews of Tactics saying that if you play it with turn-based combat mode then the battles get d**n long and slow. We usually get games by borrowing them from buddies. I have been asking my brother to borrow Fallout2 again since I'd really love to try making new levels for it but he hasn't asked his friend yet (who has the cd-rom). I have a pal who's a total Fallout freak, he lives up north and he's working on a project to develop a new Fallout mod with all new areas and plot and everything. He's doing the movies and talking heads.

Offline Tariel

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2004, 11:19:09 AM »
Oh yeah, I just remembered I like Sandman too... Any idea how to use that sort of world for a game? Neil Gaiman rules but I haven't read any stuff from him in ages. Last time was Smoke and mirrors short story collection. Oh wait no, I did read one short story by him later in some magazine in the library reading room. About some kids that find a playhouse and when one of the boys dares the others to go in, they never come out. Only later one of the boys comes to him, they had all gone insane in there... I didn't quite get it.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2004, 08:55:37 PM »
I've read Stardust, Neverwhere, and American Gods. Neil Gaiman is a genius.