llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: A Stranger in a Strange Place  (Read 9239 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Elite Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
A Stranger in a Strange Place
« on: December 30, 2002, 07:58:21 PM »
LiAra Colas walked down the alley, avoiding the puddles from the recent rain.  She was the kind of person that others usually avoided.  Some said she was a witch.  Some said she had the luck of the devil.  Still others said she was mad.  Everyone agreed that there was something not quite normal about her.  She didn't care what people thought of her.  She was a loner by nature, and was happy to be left to her own devices.  At least, that was the normal situation.  As things stood now, she would have liked a friend, or at least an ally.  She had not wanted Jeryn as an enemy.  It couldn't be helped now.  Still, even with all the trouble she would undoubtably have, she could not deny that for the first time since her father had died, she was free.  Let Jeryn shout all he liked.  She no longer owed him anything.  But she would have to be doubly careful now.  She looked around at people she didn't know and at unfamiliar shops.  LiAra supposed she was safe enough for the moment, but she wished she had thought things out a little more carefully.  She looked at the fresh scar on her arm.  Of course, even if I had had a year to think about it, I'd have done the same thing.  "What's done is done," she murmered to herself.
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2003, 04:42:56 AM »
It wasn't the biggest city Talon had ever been to, but there were plenty of places to rest his weary limbs. Two days on the road through the miserable rain feels like an eternity to those forced to travel in it.

Talon reached to his side feeling the large package in his side satchel for his periodic relief. He recited the directions in his head over again to reaquaint himself with them. Four blocks in, right, past the small alley on the right and take the next right. Two more blocks and take the next alley on the left. Wait there for contact. Too bad he couldn't get a time frame to wait. Just go there and wait. Typical directions from those that don't have to do the work, lucky the price was right.

He made his first turn and was walking down a farming market road. Considering the hour and the size of the city there were very few shops open at this hour.

Talan decided to walk a little closer to the shops to see if he could catch wind of anything that could explain the oddity. It always pays to stay abreast of rumors, never know when they could be worth something to the right people.

Pretending to browse a clothe merchant's wares he overheard a peasant couple talking to a spice merchant, "Tis not right I say, never has happened here a'fore now and its just not right that it happens now. If the Duke does not do something 'bout it soon, there'll be trouble to pay I tell ye, trouble. And you know who usually pays it don't ye? Yeah, us." The merchant just nodded his along with the bantering but the conversation drifted to the cost of the spice. All other conversations were of a mundane nature so Talon left the merchant.

He continued on his way and found the alley on the left. Well, guess this is it. Tossing a coin to a vender near the corner, Talan grabbed a loaf of bread of the cart and slowly walked into the alley.

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Elite Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2003, 11:04:06 PM »
LiAra drifted along aimlessly, trying to work out what do next.  She couldn't go home; it had ceased to be so, at least for her.  If Jeryn caught her, he'd kill her for sure.  She had no friends that she could trust.  Jeryn would undoubtably have watchers at the Guildhall.  She didn't know where she could go, although she would have to go somewhere.  And she had to do something about Jeryn.  He was up to something, that much she knew.  She had heard some of the locals complaining about something, and there was a sinking feeling that told her he was at his old tricks again.  She leaned against the wall in frustration.  No one was likely to believe her, Jeryn kept his reputation scrupulously clean.  And those who would believe her were all on Jeryn's side.  All of them.  All except... "Zyll!"  She hadn't meant to say the last part aloud, and she looked around, hoping she hadn't attracted undue attention.  A man gave her a peculiar look, but that was all.  That was good.  Zyll would help her; there was no love lost between the two.  She frowned.  He would help her, provided, of course, that he was still alive.  
Suddenly, LiAra caught the scent of fresh bread, and her stomach reminded her she hadn't had anything to eat since she had run away a day and a half ago.  Right, so food was the major priority right now.  The question was, did she have any money?  She checked her pockets, and was temporarily pleased when she felt something that seemed to be a coin.  She pulled it out to look at it and swore.  It was her guild token, which was totally useless now.  Well, she wasn't above stealing when she had to.  She'd steal some food and make for the rooftops, and go from there.  She headed for the delicious scent, and almost walked into the man at the end of the alley.  "I'm sorry, sir," she muttered, all the while mentally cursing herself in three languages.  It would be right next to the bread vendor.  She couldn't steal anything now, the man would remember her.  Blazes.  He'd probably catch me before I got to the first building.  A thought occured to her.  She backed away from the man a step and looked at him carefully.  He didn't look like one of Jeryn's men, but she had learned to never judge by appearance alone.  It was best to go the opposite way and act like she had nothing to worry about.  She turned and began to walk away, praying that he wasn't one of Jeryn's agents and that he would not remember her later.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2003, 05:18:24 PM »
Talon ripped the bread in half as he entered the alley and was nearly ran over by a woman exiting it.

"I'm sorry sir," she muttered before she quickly turned the other direction and went off.

Talon's mind clicked and he searched his memories for the odd feeling he had when he looked into her eyes before she turned away. There was something about them, he remembered them strong, but now they held fear. No, not fear, confusion perhaps, indecision. But he remembered those eyes, and that walk. The voice. Why was Zyl's name coming into his head? Think, think. He must have heard it, the voice. Did she say his name right before he turned the corner and nearly ran into her?

Jeryn! The named screamed from his memory. That bastard. She was his Witch, at least that was what some called her, those eyes. Jeryn's witch, and she mentioned Zyl's name. This information could mean some cash. The look of indecision, something is going on.

Talon weighed his options. Go straight to Zyl? Not enough information. Still have to deliver the package, but there was no time set. Follow the witch. If she wasn't an immediate threat to Zyl then more time needs to be taken in finding out what is going on. Is there anything going on? Doesn't matter, no other jobs at the moment. What trouble is brewing in this city and what kind of information can be sold, and to who. A hunch, but the witch is a key?

Follow her! Deliver the package later!

Level 3

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2003, 07:02:07 PM »
LiAra walked back down the alley, away from the stranger she had almost bumped into.  Please don't be looking for me.  She didn't look behind her.  It seemed like she had got away safely, and then she realized he was following her.  She quickened her stride.  Don't panic.  Maybe he's not after you.  Maybe he was going through the alley anyway.  He was still following.  Maybe... maybe it's just the fact that I'm a little strange, and he's curious.  She fought the urge to break into a run.  Don't attract more attention than I already have.  She made for the main gate.  She had to get out of the city, before something happened, because she was scared.  Fear only made things worse.  Don't panic.  Must NOT panic.  If I panic, I'm dead.  She still felt that he was following her.  She sped up again.  Please don't be one of Jeryn's men.  She knew, that once she got out of the city, she could either get away from or scare away most people, but not Jeryn's agents.  If the man following her worked for Jeryn, one of them would get severely hurt.  Just go away.  Leave me alone.  She most definitely had to get out of the city, because if something happened in town, and the people figured out it was her, it could not end well.  Not at all.  She had heard things people whispered when they thought she wasn't listening.  She remembered one instance in particular.

She had been wandering around, as she had taken to doing in the last year or so.  She never knew exactly who it was she overheard that night, but the words still reached her.  
"You know that girl that lives up in the manor?"
"The one Lord Jeryn took in?"
"Yeah.  She's a witch, it seems.  People say it's a death warrant to get crosswise with her.  Do you remember that guy, what was his name, Leban, four, five years ago?  Friend o' Jeryn's.  She killed him.  And she was only fourteen at the time."
"How'd she do it?"
"Some spell or something.  I don't know what.  But it's a sure bet she's got Jeryn magicked."
"He does seem mighty fond of her."
"Well, o'course.  He's her meal ticket.  She's gonna make sure he likes her."
"Well, if we ever get hold of her, we can unmagic him pretty fast."
"I agree with you, but don't forget, she's dangerous."
She had stood in the dark for half an hour, the conversation replaying in her head.  Part of her marveled at how far the truth had been twisted, while another part had known that she would have to get away soon, because there was no telling what would happen.

No, she did not want people to know who she was.

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2003, 11:48:48 PM »
Talon knew he was being too obvious and the witch's reaction told him as much. Her steps quickened and then she seemed to force herself to slow down again. It could be that he was recognized, but the odds of that were low. When he saw here last she was way too occupied to have noticed him in the crowd, but he noticed her.

Time to dissappear and rejoin the chase farther up. Maybe the spooking of the witch will cause her to search for help and perhaps lead him somewhere else that may be worth a few more gold. The witch wasn't looking, Talon angled his body to follow a small cart that obscured him from the witch. Following the cart into the sidestreet, he then abandoned it once he was around the corner. Shadows continued to grow as evening slowly took over the city. Talon used a windowsill and the "Widow's Weave" hanging sign to jimmy up to the roof level which gave him a nice view of the street all the way to the city gates. A few easy leaps would continue to bring him along the witch's current route. If she turned, then he would just have to go back to street level.

Wait a minute, this is interesting. Talon crouched a little lower on top of the building. Unless I am totally mistaken, I do believe the follower was followed. But the follower appears lost. It was quite obvious to Talon that the heavyset gentlemen in blue merchants garb was looking for him. The cart had served a dual purpose, but it wasn't even that good of an obstruction to lose a tail. The merchant turned towards Talon and his viewed passed him on street level. The face, that is one of Jeryn's cronies. He is a cruel bastard too, but not the one anybody would choose to follow somebody, that is not where his talent lies. Why would they want me? I thought I settled my debt with them and they know d**n well I won't ever work for them again.

Jeryn's merchant spotted the witch and started after her. Now isn't that interesting, guess he wasn't really following me after all and was just making sure I was gone. Talon shimmied across the roof and leaped across to the next building staying slightly behind the large merchant. The streets were far from empty, but crowded would have been saying too much. The merchant reached behind his back and under his shirt, the faint dull glow of metal was obvious to Talon's trained eye.

This just keeps getting more and more interesting. Wonder what our little witchy did to get on the wrong side of Jeryn.

Level 3

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2003, 12:28:35 AM »
LiAra finally risked a look behind her to see if the stranger was still following.  He was gone.  She relaxed for a split second.  Then she saw the other man.  She didn't know his name, but she recognized him well enough, even in that blue outfit.  One of Jeryn's men, and one of the crueller ones.  He had seen her, and was coming towards her.  She got a glimpse of his face, and knew that he had been sent to bring her back, most likely in pieces.  As much as she didn't want to attract attention, she had no choice now.  The gate wasn't that far away, and if she could make it out, she might have a chance.  Fortunately, there weren't many people on the street.  Speed was the only thing that could save her now.  He was a heavy man, and she was faster than she looked.  She started to run.  He saw, and began to run after her, and was also faster than he looked.  I don't think I'll reach the gate...  But I am not going to be quietly killed!  And then things began to happen.  LiAra was so frightened that she didn't take notice, and the heavy man in blue seemed too intent on his quarry to pay attention at first.  A roof tile fell, and narrowly missed him.  He tripped on a broken cobblestone.  A drunk lurched out of a nearby tavern and careened into him.  A laden wagon got in his way.  Other things.  Slowly LiAra put distance between her and him.  She thought she might make it.  Then one of the city guardsmen took notice.  They saw a thin, dirty, and probably disreputable looking woman running from what appeared to be a heavyset, angry merchant.  That picture said thief to them, so they started after her too.  And they were between her and the gate.  She changed course, and made for the nearest building.  Luckily the roof was reletively low.  LiAra said a silent thank you to whichever of Jeryn's gardeners had liked trees with branches at about that height.  She had learned how to climb on those trees.  She scrambled up onto the roof, and from there began working her way along the roof tops.  The low rooftop she had started from wouldn't hold the heavier men.  She heard it crack sharply as they tried to climb up.  Safe for the moment.  Hopefully the guardsmen would not be too serious about catching her and give up shortly; it would be dark soon.  She found a hiding place on one of the rooftops where she stopped to rest.  It would be a bit before anyone caught up to her.  The guardsmen didn't worry her.  It was the other that did.  Jeryn's men didn't give up, and now that they knew where she was, it was only a matter of time before more showed up.

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2003, 11:23:48 PM »
Talon looked in disbelief as the witch started running. Jeryn's lackey fell farther and farther behind as unlikely mishap after mishap befell him. Unnatural!

Shes heading for the gate. Talon quickly raised himself not worried about being seen anymore and started to follow them from the rooftop while trying to decide if he was going to help her or not. Bloody King Nestor!! The witch suddenly changed direction and came straight for the building Talon was currently watching from. Quickly looking down, Talon saw the small overhang and the extension off the building that made a difficult, but not impossible passage to the roof. Talon surveyed his surroundings and, to his luck, there was a small stack of scrapwood for whatever reason sitting near the back corner. It wouldn't completely hide him but chances were the witch wouldn't notice him under the current circumstances.

A small bang and the sound of scrambling feet told Talon he was right, the witch was climbing the roof. A hand came over the edge and Talon hid as best he could. Feet retreated across the roof and he watched the witch jump over to the next roof. The familiar bang was heard again as the merchant started his way to top of the roof. The sounds heard made it obvious he was having a bad time of it and a large crack echoed sounding like he broke through the housing extension. A few curses and some more crashes brought the merchant on top of the roof finally. Persistant bastard.

The merchant passed by and Talon came from his hiding place. Taking a quick look at street level the guardsman was yelling and directing the three guards that came to his call up to the roof and down the alley. The one that was going to climb the building was physically restrained by the bulky shop owner who physically stopped him from his climb. Talon had some time, as long as he kept out of sight of the street guards. Still no sign of any other of Jeryn's men, and looking at the clumsy man trying to navigate over the alleys, it might be a good time to take him out. One less of Jeryn's cronies is always a good thing.

Taking the dagger out of his belt, Talon took to the chase. The fat man in merchant's garb was too busy being careful crossing the next alley to notice Talon quickly closing in on him. Talon caught up to him as he was about ready to jump. Talon planned on jumping over directly after the man and get him while he was regaining his balance from his predictably clumsy jump. He scared of heights or what? Jeryn's got plenty of goons better at the chase then this one. Why in the world would he not get help or be better coordinated? Talon slowed his approach to better time his jump to match the merchants.

The merchant jumped but his foot, despite all his careful preparation, caught on a loose board and he tumbled down the two floor fall into the alley below. Talon's momentum brought him gracefully over the gap and he spun and looked down into the alley. A twisted shape was gathered on the ground, but whether he was unconscience or dead was another question. The witch? Unorganized chase. Talon's mind raced. BOUNTY. There has got to be a bounty on her head. One of the few reasons he thought that the overweight klutz would have mounted the chase alone. He is almost as greedy as me. Talon smiled to himself.

Talon stayed in his crouch as the sound of the street level guard came close to the alley. At the entrance a call went up and some peasant was directing the guard to the fallen body. Too late for that one either way, where did the witch go? Talon sheathed his knife, better to act the friend, she is already spooked. See what the deal is. The thought of turning in somebody to Jeryn, even for a bounty, wasn't top of Talon's list. She may be worth more alive. But to find her. Talons eyes searched the roof top and his ears tried to discern any sounds other then the growing murmuring and occasional calls from the crowds below.

Level 3

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2003, 12:52:52 AM »
Apparently LiAra had misjudged the abilities of Jeryn's man.  He'd somehow made it up onto the roof after her and was following her still, if rather badly.  She watched in horrified fascination as he drew closer to her hiding place.  And something else.  Behind him, she saw the stranger she had fled from earlier.  What in blazes?  Who is he?  The heavyset man made it to the rooftop she was on, and she drew back farther into the shadows.  But then he slipped, and crashed to the ground below.  The other man made a much better leap, and landed safely.  She watched as he peered over the edge.  She saw him sheathe his knife, which she hadn't noticed until then.  That was slightly encouraging, but still.  She was hiding between a pile of old barrels and the wall of the building itself.  It was getting darker, and there were plenty of shadows for cover.  Maybe he wouldn't see her.  She couldn't get off the roof until he left.  She tried to shrink even farther into the shadows.  As she did, her foot brushed against a loose piece of wood leaning on a barrel.  It fell over.  She froze, hardly daring to breathe.  It hadn't been a big piece; maybe he wouldn't have heard the sound over the growing hubbub in the street.

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2003, 04:44:48 AM »
Talon's head spun towards the noise. Pile of barrels, that is where he would have hid given the time and the choices. Talon let his body turn to face the same direction his head was pointed and stayed in a small crouch.

No time to flush the witch out. Enemy? Don't think so. Does it matter?

The sounds from the street below continued. Questions of death arose but none were answered. Still don't know if the merchant lived. Probably only moments before the building owner was settled and the guard took to the roof. Chances are they would still investigate even if they believe that they lost the chase already. If they came up now there would be more trouble. The witch would probably agree that we need to get out of here, but would she reveal herself to him? If she doesn't then he needs to get out of there. He can always take up the chase later.

"Witch, we only have moments. The guards are looking for a woman. You. If we can get to the street without being seen, you can take my cloak and we can walk together away from here without being noticed. I am certain I can get out of here without any worries. I would be worried if I were you. The guards are moments from coming up the way that fat merchant did and if they make the next roof we won't be able to get out of here without being seen. Its up to you, but we only have moments."

Level 3

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2003, 04:38:58 PM »
When he started speaking to her, LiAra was frightened.  She didn't know what to do; whether to trust him or to play dead.  He hadn't threatened her, that was good, and he was probably right about more people coming in moments.  A part of her believed him, and wanted to trust him, but another part warned, You trusted Jeryn too.  She suspected she was not a good judge of character, but she didn't have any time to worry about it.  He already knew she was there, if he had meant to kill her he would have done it by now.  He could be lying, trying to trick her, but if that was the case she could always get away from him later.  I hope.  Either way, he didn't seem to be an immediate threat.  And if she was with him, he probably wouldn't want to risk getting caught.  She cautiously stood up.  If she was remotely lucky, once he got a good look at her in better light, he would believe he was mistaken about who she was.  "Then let's get out of here.  I think we can get down on this side; everyone seems to be over there."  She moved toward the far side of the building and glanced down.  She was right, there was no one there.

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2003, 04:33:50 PM »
Talon followed her without speaking to the edge of the building. The climb down would have been difficult for others but the two handled it quite well. Once on the ground Talon removed his deep gray cloak and draped it over the woman's shoulders.

Looking at her a moment he said, "Do you have something to cover your head. There are probably more people looking now and all they have is a general description. Best to cover as much as we can for the moment." After she did some adjusting he assessed her again, "Best walk with your head slightly hunched and put your arm in mine and pretend to use me for support till we are out of this immediate area. Does that sound alright to you?"

Talon looked at her trying to guage her reaction and experience in this situation. If she only knew who I really was. Too early to tell her though, let her trust me on her own for a little bit.

"Do you have a safe house you could go to? Someone you trust to keep everything quiet?" The weight on his side of the undelivered package reminded him of other obligations. "We need to get you somewhere safe for now. I have other things I must attend to." He looked into her eyes, "I can help you, and I want to help. Jeryn is no friend of mine, this you can believe, and if he is after you then we are associates by mutual enemy."

Level 3

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2003, 09:46:02 PM »
LiAra accepted the man's cloak, and at his suggestion, covered her red hair.  It only made sense.  And the manner of walking sounded about right too.  "That sounds fine, let's just get out of here."  At his question about a safe house, she laughed almost silently.  "Safe house?  No.  In fact, I can't think of anywhere that I know would be safe.  I can think of several places that would be dangerous, though.  I haven't got any friends.  And I don't really trust anyone at the moment," she said quietly.  "And yes, that includes you too.  What you say makes sense, and in different circumstances, I think I would trust you.  But I've recently been given to understand that I am not a good judge of character."  There was a note of sadness in her voice, but only for a moment.  She wished that she hadn't told him she didn't trust him, but, among other things, LiAra had mostly  been a fundamentally honest person.  It was too soon to trust him.  "The only person that I could be reasonably sure about is a man named Zyll.  I don't know where he lives though.  And," she paused reflectively, "he may not be all that pleased to see me.  He got hurt some years ago, and it was ultimately my fault."

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2003, 07:27:19 PM »
Zyll. It was her that mentioned that name in the alley then. The name didn't really ring a bell, or should it?

"We can get you to Zyll later once we figure out where he is. Guess we will stick together then for a little bit then. I have only been here a few times so my connections are a little more scarce then I like. Maybe you can tell me a little more about this Zyll person so I can make the appropriate inquiries, unless you have some people you can safely approach?"

Talon walked them out onto the main street hugging the closer wall and staying in the growing shadows. A quick glance down the street showed a few more guards gathering  and a larger crowd as others started coming out to the street to see what the commotion was all about.

"I need to get back to where we first crossed paths. If you have somewhere else to go, or somebody we can talk to, I have time. If not, then we would be just as safe in the alley that I am required to be in as any other. You are in the most danger at the moment so the choice is yours."

Level 3

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2003, 10:40:45 PM »
LiAra shook her head.  "We might as well go back to the alley.  I don't know anyone here; that was precisely why I picked this city.  Most everyone I know works for Jeryn in one manner or another.  As for Zyll... I only knew him for a short time, years ago.  All I know for sure about him is he and Jeryn are sworn enemies.  He's a wealthy man, or was once.  And I seem to recall he was fond of horses.  But I don't know.  But I do remember that he seemed to be a kind man.  Although," she said, "That probably wouldn't help you find him."  She smiled slightly.  "I suspect that if I need his help bad enough, I'll... get lucky."  There was a trace of bitter irony in her voice, but probably only those who knew her or were listening carefully would have caught it.

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2003, 12:25:03 AM »
The man with the woman clinging to his arm for support made their way back up the streets they recently went down. A set of guards ran pass them only giving them a cursory glance as the search was mounted. Things were getting busier in the street but Talon predicted that if they didn't find anything immediately it would probably die down.

The bread vender was still at the entrance to the alley. Talon, realizing that he lost the bread he bought earlier, purchased another loaf and asked the witch if she wanted one as well. They then walked inside the alley a little ways and Talon leaned against the wall raising his right foot and placing it against the back wall in a relaxed stance.

"So, mind telling me a little of what happened? We may be here a little bit and perhaps some conversation will pass the time a little bit. I go by Talon by the way." He waited for a reaction. Chances are good that she heard the name, after all he had business once with Jeryn, but you never know what information Jeryn may reveal to those he worked with.

Boy did that business with Jeryn turn out bad. Jeryn had a bad name and, after his deal, he realized why. He had some very unfortunate mishaps to the goods he was trying to deliver. Jeryn made out but Talon was out a good deal of cash after the experience. A little research on Jeryn made him realise that he wasn't the only one to have unfortunate business dealings with the man. It was on his mind, but not the reason he was here. Maybe priorities can change...

Level 3

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2003, 10:59:19 AM »
LiAra accepted the man's offer of a loaf of bread and ate it quickly.  She thought about his question.  He obviously knew who she was, or at least the public opinion.  Talon... where have I heard that name before?  She didn't see what harm it could do to tell him a little of what had happened.  "I'm LiAra.  Jeryn is... used to be my guardian.  I found out that he wasn't as good a man as I had always thought he was.  Then I found out that I-"  Here she stopped abruptly.  She probably shouldn't tell him everything, not yet.  The fewer people who knew about what she seemed to be able to do, the better.  And anyway, it was a painful story to her still.  "I found out some other things.  So I ran away."  She unconsciously ran her hand over the still healing cut on her arm.  "He didn't like that, not at all.  Given what happened earlier, I assume that he's given orders to have me killed, or at the very least, captured and brought back.  Anyway, I ended up here, and you know more or less the rest."

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2003, 04:28:00 AM »
Talon sensed there was more to the story but he knew it would be impolite to press. She was seeming less and less like a witch the more he spoke with her. LiAra seemed to fit her as well as anything and was definately more appropriate.

Any other thoughts were driven from his head as a shadow entered the opposite side of the alley and a sharp clicking sound was heard three times. That would be the signal and the person he was to deliver the package for.

"LiAra, if you would be so kind as to excuse me for a moment, I will attend to this simple business and see if I can find out anything Zyll." A graceful halfbow met any reply and Talon made his way quickly down the alley removing the package as he went.

"It is late in the season for a such a new calf," Talon said to the dark figure as he approached slowly.

"Warmth and shelter should grant it a long life," the figure replied.

Talon handed the package over after the proper code words were spoken but held onto it when the figure tried to completely retrieve it. "I need to know about a person named Zyll."

The figure's pressure pulling the package held for just a moment and then he lessened his pull and replied, "Zyll is a merchant Baron that was given his baronship by the King for his services in expanding trade to the north. He has holdings here and in Isocarta. He lives here on Eten street and still has the king's ear." The man pulled the package and Talon let it go, he didn't tell him anything that the common person wouldn't know, but then again there wasn't a whole lot he needed to know.

The man flipped Talan a coin which he deftly caught. Proof that the package was delivered and something he would use to collect his fee and so Talon walked back to LiAra and told here what he found out.

(OOC: Unless you have a map and cities you would like to use, figure we could just use good old Aros that I have been messing with for awhile. http://aros.strolen.com/places/index.php I figured we could be in Fledding at the moment. It is about a two/three day trip to Isocarta to the south. We can use the actual city descriptions (what there is anyway) if you like or make it up as we go. If you have your world that you are making in a useable way, I would be more then happy to go with that too and we could upload them somewhere for easy reference. Just let me know. If you don't want to move us to Zylls I will do it, just let me know. Ran out of time tonight.)

Level 3

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2003, 02:37:56 PM »
(OOC: Aros is fine.  I'd say the city of Isocarta would be just right  for Jeryn's base of operations, so us being in Fledding would be just about right.)

LiAra was pleased by the fact that Zyll lived in Fledding.  She hadn't known when she'd run away.  It was a lucky thing.  Maybe.  "Well, let's go find him, then."  Zyll would know what to do about Jeryn, probably.  Assuming he would listen to her.  She took a couple of steps and then stopped.  "Um, maybe you should lead the way, because I have no idea where Eten street is.

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2003, 05:53:11 PM »
"Eten Street. Eten Street. Nope, doesn't ring a bell. Oh well," Talon extended his elbow out as if to escort LiAra, "Shall we? We should still maintain our appearances."

With the portions of bread gone already Talon purchased another two loaves from the man and offhandedly asked directions to Eten Street. The breadmaker freely gave the directions as he wrapped each loaf in seperate cloths that Talon provided.

Talon handed LiAra one of the wrapped loaves. "That solves one problem."

As they walked, the few inns and taverns that were on their path lit lanterns hanging outside their place of business to fight of the increasing darkness and mark their entrances. Other shops had already gathered most of their displays and were getting ready to close up their shops.

"Lady LiAra. I suggest, due to the late hour, that we find Eten Street and our infamous Zyll and simply walk by and assess the place ensuring us of his location. My experience tells me that we may be recieved better if we saw him at a more reasonable hour. Self-made nobles often have a high regard for their importance and breaks in their routine may not be well recieved." Talon smiled and bowed his head at elegant lady that walked by that gave them both a leary once over.

"It also seems that we are not quite in the proper style for such a meeting. It is so unfortunate that so many people put such a high value on looks and first impressions." Talon glanced over at LiAra.

"Tomorrow, my dear. We go shopping. And before you think that this is too much too quick, please understand that, while I am more then happy to help you, it would also be in my self interest to make the acquaintance of this Baron Zyll myself as well."

The couple continued to walk down the streets following the directions of the Baker. The darkness was near complete when they finally reached a well maintained street bordered by larger, more ornate homes of the wealthy. "It appears we have found the correct street." Walking along the row of homes one stood out from the rest. It was almost twice as wide as the others and was offset from the road a small bit, enough to add a guarded entrance before the door to the home was accessible. "Well isn't that interesting. It actually looks as if that guarded entrance is a new addition to the fine livery. Wonder what kind of enemies that person has made. Do we think that is Zyrll? Is there any other of Baron status or higher that would live in anything less?"

Talon guided them past the lighted entrance and they saw that there was indeed a guard on duty. They continued their walk and turned on the next street putting them into now occasionally lanterned darkenss.

"I would like to make sure. You have any ideas how?" Talon asked while looking towards the guarded entrance.

Level 3

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2003, 09:54:24 PM »
LiAra had one objection to going shopping in the morning, even though it seemed a sensible course of action, for more than one reason.  Her clothes, while one nice enough, were torn and dirty.  But still.. "I haven't any money to go shopping, Talon."  As for his other questions, she had no answer.  "I'd say that that was Zyll's house, just because it feels right, but I have no idea of how to make sure..."
Just then, as they rounded the corner, there was the sound of hoofbeats in the street they had turned off of.  A man said, "Halt!  What's your business here?"
"Message for your master."
"Haven't got no master."
"Your employer then."  
"All right, so gimme the message, and I'll have it sent to him."
"I'm supposed to deliver it to Baron Zyll personally."  LiAra peeked back around the corner.  Sure enough, the messenger was arguing with the guard by the big house.
"And I'm not supposed to let anyone in after dark.  ANYONE.  If the message is that bloomin' confidential, seal it up and give it to me.  The baron'll have me thrown out on my arse if I give'm a message with the seal broken."
"Oh, all right then.  If that's the only way to do my &#^ job..."
As the messenger grumbled, LiAra glanced back at Talon.  She felt very foolish indeed.  She really shouldn't have been surprised.  "Never mind," she said quietly.  She wished that she could go for a while without some unlikely coincidence happening.  Life would be much simpler.

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2003, 11:02:25 PM »
Talon looked at LiAra, "That solves two problems," and smiled.

"Well, it appears now we must find a way to keep ourselves entertained until the morning when the shops open. I am not horribly concerned about the money issue, we can perhaps work something out, but in the meantime we should probably stay off the streets."

Talon took off his cloak and gave it back to LiAra, "At the very least we will get you one of these. I am rather fond of this old cloak. Ideally I would have liked to stay at one of the more expensive Inns, whomever is looking for you would most likely not make any inquiries there. I think our current attire makes that an impossibility, too many questions and rumor would get out. I imagine we can find some other cheaper inn, or we could move outside the gates and spend a little time on foot and hide in the forrest that skirts us on the south."

Level 3

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2003, 07:57:02 PM »
At Talon's suggestion of finding an inn, LiAra realized how tired she was.  "Let's see if we can find an inn.  If that fails, well, the woods are as good a place as any, I suppose."  LiAra was beginning to be less afraid of this man.  Maybe meeting him had been for the best.  She didn't know; she still had no idea of exactly what she was capable of.  She couldn't rely on that solely; that was foolish.  But it was becomming apparent to her that she was going to have to rely on others.  She just hoped that she would pick the right ones.  Which reminded her of something.  "What two problems did that solve?"

_________________________________________________ ____________________________

Meanwhile, in Isocarta...

"Has anyone reported back yet?"
"No.  Well, Seken said he was headed for Fledding, but then..."
"Seken's a fool.  He hasn't come to grips with the fact that she isn't just some defenseless girl.  He'll just get himself killed, most likely.  Confound it, where the hell did she go?"
"Aren't you taking this just a little too seriously?  I mean, she's a little fool, but she has to know what people think of her.  People find out who she is, they'll tear her apart."
"Yes, but sooner or later that accursed conscience of hers will outweigh her survival instincts.  It really should have occured to me that her talent would be working against me."
"At least she doesn't know what all she can do."
"Yet.  She'll get it eventually, and that worries me."
"But at least she can't get help."
"Maybe.  I've got that infernal Zyll checkmated, at least; he can't do anything even if he wanted to help her.  There is comfort in that, although I suspect that was just the last gasp of my luck."
"What about assassins?  You could set that Kyler fellow on her.  They say that he's never let his quarry escape."
"Yes, I could do that, only the only way to contact him, so far as anyone knows, is through that fellow Talon.  Whom, if you'll remember, I annoyed greatly once."
"So just tell him it was her fault."
"You know, you do have a devious bent to you after all."
"Thank you, father."

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2003, 05:49:07 PM »
"There was a street with a couple of signs along it that might be inns back a couple roads. They are close enough to this part of town that they will probably be a little more expensive and hopefully will be questioned later by any of those that we are trying to avoid."

As they walked Talon thought about what brought him to Fledding. It had been awhile since his last 'job' and he had decided to branch out a little bit. Till recently he rarely made it to Fledding, this was only the second time here and today was the first time he had ever viewed it in the day time. Interesting how it seems so close to the other Four Cities yet is so far removed from it at the same time.

The years had kept him busy so this quiet time was an opportunity to study the elusive, elusive to Talon anyway, city. The package he had delivered had been a chance occurance in Isocarta that just sort of stumbled into his lap one day. A simple courier job that had come up in The Last Stand Tavern in Isocarta, a wonderful little Tavern run by his good friend Grothar Rockfury, a stout little dwarf with connections in Isocarta like few others. A man simply needed a package delivered and Talon saw the opportunity. Grothar vouched for him and it was settled. And now here he is, a beautiful young lady underneathe a somewhat rough exterior, an interesting mystery involving the annoying and rather upredictable Jeryn and the aforementioned lady, and the opportunity to meet the Baron Zyll who is apparently a fairly important trade Baron. Turned out to be a very nice trip so far. Talon smiled.

Level 3

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2003, 12:36:44 PM »
As they made their way to one of the inns, LiAra was preoccupied.  Talon seemed to have known who she was from the very start, but he didn't seem to mind.  Maybe I just think that.  He'd done what he'd said he'd do so far, but she still didn't trust him.  Of course, that was only because she had decided that it would be a very bad idea to trust anyone for a while.  She wasn't sure it mattered at the moment.  But she did keep wondering where she had heard the name Talon before.  There really is no point in dwelling on that.  Something else that was much more pleasant to think about was where she would go when the mess she'd gotten herself into was cleared up.  Tynook, maybe.  Yes, Tynook sounded just about right.