llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: [OOC MechWarrior 5: After the Republic]  (Read 1981 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Luke Lavin

• King
    • http://roleplay.andromorphia.com/
    • Awards
[OOC MechWarrior 5: After the Republic]
« on: October 01, 2004, 08:23:28 PM »
Any comments you have, or questions post here.

Rule:
Don't munchkinise which easier to do in this sort of RP, but there none of you are March, Clan Khans, or Realm Lords.

Offline Luke Lavin

• King
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 09:58:34 PM »
having tough time with connection lately I'll be posting on off as much as i can in one sitting and try to finish it later.

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10 Elite Systems Guild
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004, 07:13:25 AM »
Request for info:

Joust tank
Cavalier Infantry
Gyrfalcon (which tech readout, this one sounds familiar)

As most of this is Gauss, PPC and LRM exchange, the range difference is negligible, i think a hex at the most between the compared weapons. BTW, I am assuming that all of my mechs are at least 3050 variants of their respective designs.

What info do I get from my sensors, what variant omnis am I facing. A Nove with the standard 10 medium lasers looks drastically different from the hoss with the gauss...hey, that rhymed.

I would like some terrain information, if there is any.

Your thoughs?

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10 Elite Systems Guild
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 02:24:35 PM »
Thanks for the info on the Loki variant. All of my info comes from the tabletop combat books and technical readouts.

WWW.Chaosmarch.org is a pretty good site, it had the stuff on the rotary autocannons and stuff that I didnt. If the mech came from one of the PC or console game, I dont have it. I STILL havent found anything on the Gyrfalcon. I found the Night Gyr, and several other 'falcon' mechs but no Gyrfalcon. I would really like some info on that beast.

As a rule, most clan mechs suffer from two key flaws that the IS has been able to exploit in combat. Most clan mechs do not carry anywhere near the maximum amount of armor that their weight class can. This is deemed an acceptible change-off for more direct firepower. The second is that most clan machines carry a mimimum of ammunition.

With the concept of Zellbringen, and the bidding of forces, clan warfare has become a near ritual of measured might against measured might in small, decisive confrontations. This is one of the reasons that there are no signifigant reserves of clan armor, or infantry. The IS has spent the last three centuries in brutal long term wars with shifting borders, and often no outcome. As such, IS mechs tend towards heavier armor, often the maximum available, as well as carrying ample ammunition for prolonged engagements. Samurai cavalry vs. Cowboys.

One thing about my mech formations in the current engagement. The mechs are moving in close formation, perhaps a hex or two apart from one another. A clan machine attempting to flank an indivual mech would place itself in extreme danger by presenting its rear torso to another assault mech at point blank range, almost a guaranteed kill. Slightly more vulnerable to aerospace, and artillery assets, but since the clans rarely use them the danger is offset by the protection offered by a close formation.

Massed Fire - Rather than engage the clan mechs one on one, the assault mechs are using barrage fire, isolating one or two mechs from the enemy formation and concentrating layered firepower into them. Clan mechs are tough, but seven or eight PPCs and gauss rifles are enough to take the tough out of anything less than a dropship.

I have always played the IS, and enjoy the challenge of deploying moderately inferior IS mechs against the superior tech of the clans. Whne playing tabletop, and the rules allow, I always use VTOLS (helicopters) and hovercraft, as well as heavy infantry, and poewr armor when I have it.

Point a gun at one of my mechs (in my tabletop venue) your pointing one gun at a mech, three tanks, and about a company of infantry. I dont want to sound like I am bragging, or being an arrogant prig, but when I played Btech, I won.

Layered fire, overlapping fire, armored formations, feints and flanking maneuvers work wonders against foes whose war reading is limited to the game tech manuals. Thank you Tom Clancy.

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Luke Lavin

• King
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 05:28:19 PM »
Any of the new mechs probaly won't be in any roleplaying guides the series just came out in the States about last year, Search, MechWarrior: Dark Age

Offline Luke Lavin

• King
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 06:31:05 PM »
Hey no problem I'm looking for you to loose in this battle or at all if the roleplay rolls, but please hurry up with your posts I'm working on tying on the characters together but your slowing this down I'm finishing the battle for you if you don't post in the next day or so.  You can complete the battle in your post, this battle is supposed to be a victory for the IS because your hitting clanners behind the lines.