llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Old man  (Read 4065 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Old man
« on: June 26, 2002, 09:52:11 PM »
The old man approaches the caravan slowly, ever knowlegeable of the noise he may make. A faint trail of disturbed morning dew marks his path but he is well hidden behind a small grove of trees that stand between him and the nearing caravan. He approaches cautiosly but is very self assured.

He reaches over his shoulder to the filled quiver and silently draws an arrow as his bow is leveled. He moves a few more steps forward to position himself for a view in between two large oaks giving him a clear shot yet still obscuring his position from the caravan. There is only one that he is searching for and this is his last day.

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline ephemeralstability

• Squirrel Strolenati
  • Knight
  • Awards Item Guild Plot Guild Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Old man
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2002, 12:03:27 PM »
In the dawn light I can see a small copse approaching by the roadside.

We have been sitting here for hours through the night, in the stifling clattering caravan; mostly in silence, though Esile's father did shout at her once for fidgeting. He often does that. He's a huge, ebullient man, grimacing through his beard whenever we go over a bump. The wheels under us jolt over an unseen obstacle and he snaps.

I can see my step-sister wincing as he leans out the window and yells at the driver. She's a few years older than me, and she's had to put up with him all her life. I've only known him a year, since my father died, and even I wince. He sits back down as we pass the copse and grunts.

A quarrel sprouts suddenly from his chest, buds of blood forming where it enters the folds of his clothes. Even as he writhes soundlessly, wide-eyed and choking, I know it wasn't intended for him. Even as my mother and Esile screaming reach out to his corpulent body in its throes, gazing upon the bleeding hole with horrified faces, I know who that quarrel was meant for.

I may only be twelve, but I know how dangerously important I am, even if no-one else does. Although obviously someone does, because they just tried to kill me.
"Happy is the tomb where no wizard hath lain, and happy the town at night whose wizards are all ashes" - H P Lovecraft, The Festival

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Old man
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2002, 11:11:24 PM »
The old man had his own reasons for being on this job but the pay hit the spot and doubled the reasons. Few knew the story of the boy and hopefully few now would. He would pass through history without the distinction the prophecy foretold. If indeed he was the one, and that was highly debateable. But if he was and it all ended with a simple arrow, imagine the irony.

The caravan rumbled into his vision and he saw the wagon with the olive skinned boy with the coal black hair. Not a hard shot, he had made many that were much harder. They were inside the wagon but the large windows gave a good view of the interior and the boy's seat. THe angle he was at would give a clear shot, the precise reason he chose his current location.

His experience told him that the east wind would drive the arrow off about an inche, no more then that. Nature was consistent for the past 20 minutes or so telling him he could rely on the estimation. The caravan rumbled closer, it was almost time.

Bow stayed level and now he drew the string towards his leathery cheek. Glance to the wagon, slight adjustment to the height of the aim and then the wagon slowly rambled into view between the two oaks. A moment later the boy was in view through the window. Easier shot then expected, the boy was turned slightly towards him.

The bow sang and the arrow hissed and started its gracefully deadly flight. As the old man watched the arrow's flight, to his horror, a large men swung himself into the window and started yelling at the driver. A moment later the arrow's arc ended in the man's chest.

"d**n," He swore silently to himself. "d**n, d**n, d**n the Seven Riders of Hegan." Taking another arrow from his quiver he nocked it and aimed. But wouldn't it be that the bulk of the man obscured any shot that might be available. A general alarm rose in the caravan and the few guards that were with it scrambled to see what had happened.

Bow went unbent and arrow was returned to quiver. He would have to make quick time back to his horse, the morning dew would lead them right after him if the guards had but a lick of skill. Perhaps the boy was the one of prophecy, fate wouldn't allow a quick death before the rest. But a smidge of luck iisn't beyond anybody. Have to figure something else out, the alternative was not very enticing.

Level 3

Offline Almatari

• Grand Master
    • Awards
Old man
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2003, 11:30:06 PM »
A young woman yet a quick rider paused her stalion behind the man. His horse was grasped by the regines behind her.
"come, we must ride fast." She said, tossing him the regines.
She waited untill he had placed his leg into the stirrup before taking off at a full gallop.
Trees!!!
A tree fell in the forest. A man didn't hear it. He is now dead.

"Dont talk to it, Merry! Don't encourage it!"

"Don't touch it! You don't know what it is!"

Offline Raen

• Apprentice
    • Awards
Old man
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2003, 07:00:54 PM »
(OOC: 'Tcha, 'tis my first post, and I have absoulutely no idea if I'm doing the right thing. Feel free to point out any mistakes.)

Behind a tree, unknown to the players of the scene befor her, a young girl's silver eyes stared out at the retreating backs of the old man and the lady. She shuddered at what she'd just seen, absentmindely fingering one of two daggers at her waist.

She considered the situation. The shot couldn't have possibly been meant for the man at the window, his appereance was all too sudden. But if it hadn't been meant to hit the man, then who would be on it's receving end?

Shuddering once again, she suddenly remembers who the people in the caravan were. The family, that family. With the boy who was supposed to fulfill the prophecy, the one she'd been studying about.

Someone was out to kill him, but was there anything she could do? In any case, she was sure as hell going to try. With a sigh, Raen turned to the black stallion by her side and mounted him with practiced ease.

"Come on, Chesca. We're going after those people."

Nudging the horse into a gallop, she went and pursued the two who had fled from the scene.
'Me, a thief? Ah... no, why on earth would I be a thief?' - When questioned on her occupation.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite Item Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
Old man
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2003, 07:07:34 PM »
(OOC: Hey, Rean, this thread's been dead for a while.  If you can bring it back to life, kudos, but if not, you might want to pop into one of the other threads.  But its a good beginning.)
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Old man
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2003, 05:59:30 AM »
The old man expertly stowed away the bow and readied arrow while gripping the horse firmly with his knees.

While bending over grabbing the reigns and dodging a branch he swore once again under his breath. "For the love of the Seven Hells! How can that Son of a Yelt be so d**ned lucky?"

The horses momentarily seperated as a tree came between them. Once they were together the man started like he never stopped, "Don't even start with that 'destiny' crap either. He is a man, and a man can be killed just like any other. Not sure how we are going to explain this. I've got a reputation to live up to. d**n! You still know the caravan route right? We have to think of something else quick. I don't want word of this getting out."

Level 3

Offline Raen

• Apprentice
    • Awards
Old man
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2003, 08:25:26 AM »
(OOC: Ah. Nice to see I've actually joined a thread that seams to be moving along...)

Raen shielded her eyes, gazing into the distance where the archer had fled. She hadn't really seen his face, only his general bearing, but he sure as the nine hells moved fast.

Suddenly a thought entered her mind, causing her to stop for a seccond.

If the prophercy was true, then the boy child couldn't in any possible way be killed. Not, at least, untill he had completed his task of having to unite the kingdoms. Raen didn't personally believe anyone could do that, but... but if he couldn't be killed, then why was she chasing after the one who attempted to kill him?

She gazed around her for a moment. The only path she saw was the one she'd been riding on. Around her were woods, probably unhabitable, for a night. The only choice she had was to go on after the archer.

So Raen spurred Chesca on, unknowingly just another tool of the Prophercy, which would go to any lenghts to see itself fulfilled.
'Me, a thief? Ah... no, why on earth would I be a thief?' - When questioned on her occupation.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite Elite Item Guild
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
Old man
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2003, 10:59:48 AM »
(OOC:  Wow.   :o  :)   That was a little unexpected.  Hi Strolen!  Question, though.  So you think that you might could go post in the other game too? *big sad eyes*  It's kinda dead.)

Ash wandered through the forest, not paying much attention to her surroundings.  Suddenly, a horse and rider all but flew past, nearly running over her.  As she picked herself up, she saw that the rider was an old man.  She frowned.  Something was definitely amiss.  But there wasn't much time to think about it.  She could hear another rider coming, just as fast as the other.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Old man
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2003, 04:35:34 PM »
(OCC Not sure if Almatari is going to join again but will assume she is with me for the time being. Can always say I was talking to myself.

Will try to join the other game again as well. This one was an easy one to jump into so I just did :) )

With a shake of his head he thought, "Enough," and reigned in his horse quickly and leaping off as it came to a full stop.

"I am not running, we are going back. They would never expect another try so soon and there is a nice bluff a few miles up that may give another opportunity. Why don't we...where is that map? Here..." His words cut off as the sound of a horse at full gallop came his way.

"By the Seven Riders of Hegan, this one is riding to his death." The old man readied his bow and chose an appropriate arrow. Deep foilage partially obscured his shot but the path left the shot pretty clear.

Just enough time to level his bow when the horse carrying a rider entered his aim. The shaft was instantly let loose and the old man knew he had a kill shot if the horse kept its pace.

Suddenly a branch above the bath bent down into the path of the arrow deflecting it to the left.

"For the love of Sinlari!" The old man threw his bow onto the ground as he watched a squirrel jump off the branch to another.

"This is just bloody incredible." He sat down on his haunches in total disgust, "It is not even worth it. Let's play the petty destiny card and see what will happen because *I* obviously have no say in what is going to happen." He continues to mutter under his breath waiting for the approaching rider.

He has no intention of giving up if it looked like he was going to be taken into custody, but he is most definately willing to just wait and see what happens in the immediate future. Disgust of what has just transpired is apparent on his face and body posiiton.

Level 3

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
Old man
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2003, 07:12:53 PM »
Ash was curious.  She had seen the other rider go past, and she could tell that they had stopped farther on.  She made her way through the woods until she could see the riders.  As she watched curiously, she unconsciously pulled on the thin gloves she always wore.  "I wonder what's going on," she whispered to herself.

Offline Raen

• Apprentice
    • Awards
Old man
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2003, 09:21:10 AM »
(OOC: Um... *looks around* I feel inexperienced. Badly inexperienced. I bet I'm making a dozzen mistakes every time I type a word... *cringes* Anyway, I was wondering if ephemeralstability would be comming back. After all, that's the main character, yiss...)

Raen jerked in the saddle as an arrow flew her way, causing Chesca to rear and paw at the air in shock. Her eyes widened as it flew in a straight line to her, just as a branch snapped and the arrow thudded into it.

Just like the arrow thudded into the chest of the man at the window.

She froze for a few moments, half afraid with adrenaline coursing through her body, then swung down from Chesca, murmuring words of comfort to the black stallion, trying to calm herself down at the same time, praying and hoping against hope as she slowly led him foreward.

The arrow is the same as the one that killed the man.

Raen feels herself tense up, and the black stallion, sensing her fear, whinies, as if trying to calm her down. It isn't helping. Still gripping Chesca's reins, Raen continues to nervously walk forewards, trying hard not to make any noises. It dosen't seem to work.

As she reaches the clearing she spots a horse tied to a branch and a figure on the ground his back to her. There is a bow next to him.

Chesca neighs at the horse, causing the man to spin around and glare at Raen, making her cringe. Disgust and contemp is written on his features, obviously he heard her comming. She stares back, suddenly unsure of anything to say.

"Ah... that bow..."

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
Old man
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2003, 11:46:29 AM »
(OOC:   You're doing fine.  If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.  And you might read some of the other threads to get a feel for what goes on here.  As for Eph's character, if he doesn't comeback, we can say the character is an NPC.)

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Old man
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2003, 05:38:38 PM »
(OCC. Mistakes? Don't be too critical we are just having fun and you are doing great. As long as common sense remains intact we should all be just fine. :) )

"WHAT?!?! Come out farther into the open. You are following me, remember? I am the one that is suppose to be hiding"

He grunts as he pushes himself up from his sitting position. From the noise it can't be told if it was from pain or just his gruff manners. He takes an unthreatening step forward.

"So," looking around, "you alone? You disturbing a poor old man who has stopped for a bit of a rest?"

He realizes he just totally contradicted himself but is going to try this new line.  His persuer looked a little unsure of herself so he might as well try and create more confusion.

Why is she alone he wonders to himself as he rips a small branch hanging nearby and starts gnawing on it.

Level 3

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
Old man
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2003, 06:09:08 PM »
As Ash leaned forward to hear better, she stepped on a dry twig.  It snapped, startling her.  "Oh dear," she whispered.  Maybe they hadn't heard it...

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Old man
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2003, 06:27:21 PM »
The old man heard the branch. Not alone eh? Maybe I underestimated this one.

Level 3

Offline Raen

• Apprentice
    • Awards
Old man
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2003, 07:58:50 PM »
(OOC: Fun, fun, fun. *grins* On with the story.)

Raen stared at the old man as he quite contentedly contradicted himself in the space of a few secconds. She was fairly confused. Just how often does a person come across an assasin who askes you to come out into the open? She was only seventeen, for god's sake!

But as she stared at the old man, curiosity and confusion flickering across her features she heard a sound behind her. One thing Raen had learnt was that breaking twigs and branches were normal in a forest. Whispers that came after them were not.

The old man had heard it too. His face took on a look of interest as Raen whirled around to face the source of the sound.

"Who's that?"

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Old man
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2003, 05:40:09 PM »
"Oh, geez. For the love of mercy. The follower is followed. How novel!?" Taking a breathe, "I don't have time for this, I have a contract to carry out and the longer I dally here the less time I have to take care of business."

Then under his breathe, "And if that be caravan guards in the bush I be as good as dead anyway."

The old man, in a burst of speed, runs to his horse and jumps on unless something grabs his attention and he knows he is not under threat of his life.

Level 3

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
Old man
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2003, 05:49:59 PM »
(OOC:  Okay, then.  Since Ash doesn't really do this sort of thing often...)

Ash knew that they had heard her.  Maybe it was a good time to leave.  She quietly turned to go... and promptly tripped over an exposed tree root, falling with a crash.  She swore, loudly, momentarily forgetting that she was trying not to be observed.  She swore again as soon as she realized what she'd just done.

Offline Raen

• Apprentice
    • Awards
Old man
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2003, 09:18:18 PM »
(Completely OOC: Raen and I are fond of swearing by the nine hells. Ignore it. And also, we have the first signs that Raen isn’t as innocent as she seems…)

Raen heard the cry, heard the muffled swearing, saw the old man get on his horse and ride away. She faced a moment of insecurity, wondering whether to go after the man or the shout.

She decided to go after the person in the woods. It was a female voice that had cried out. Raen made her way over to where the source of the voice had come from, and saw a young lady picking herself up from the ground.

“Who in the nine hells are you? And… and why were you following me?� She asked, curiosity mixed with confusedness filling up her features, her eyes puzzled, her mouth questioning, the very picture of innocence personified.

Innocence that concealed a mind that moved far quicker than it should have.

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
Old man
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2003, 10:57:16 PM »
"Um... Hi."  Ash looked up at the woman.  "I was just curious as to what the hell is so important that people nearly run me over."  She glared at the root she had tripped on.  "And it just so happens that I'm clumsy."  She nervously pulled at her gloves.

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Old man
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2003, 01:23:40 AM »
(OCC. Glad to see we all love a good curse. I will have to claim the 7 hells for myself since that was in my first post.)

"Well, son of a screaming Yelt, my interest is peaked....," the old man smiles down on the two woman as he turns his horse drastically and violently around.

Under his, "That isn't all that is getting peaked amongst this company." A fit of course laughter rolls over the old man, a deep gutteral laugh that induces a fit of coughing.

He leans over his horse leaning on his arm. His other hand pulls out a knife as the coughing fit expires. With his free hand he was leaning on he pulls a brick of chew out of his side pocket and chops off a chunk and stuffs it in his mouth. The first couple chews are difficult and a drip of spit escapes his lips before he gets control of it. A wipe of his sleeve across his face removes any leavings. He leisurely leans back in his saddle crossing his arms with the knife-hand on top and surveys the surroundings letting his eyes crawl up and down each person in the clearing.

He seems content to let them explain what is going on or what they are doing, afterall, he assumes they know exactly what he is about. A lethargic spit *pfit* fills any silence that ensews.

(OCC Fun putting all the pressure on you all, but I just don't think he would be to apt to voluteer anything at this moment. He is more ready for the entertainment the two woman that he thinks were following him will give him.)

Level 3

Offline Raen

• Apprentice
    • Awards
Old man
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2003, 08:20:29 AM »
(OOC: Shah, I’m no woman, I’m just seventeen… At least, Raen is. My age is mine, and mine alone. Besides, Strolen, I plan on letting Chesca take care of your old man. After all, horses are attracted to other horses, ne? AND I completely forgot to tie Chesca down to anything… how careless of me. I also get to prove that I can swear by other things. Oh, and can we say that the old man is in the clearing while Ash and I are in the woods? Because Ash was out of sight, and I went after her.)

Raen stared down at the lady. “Gods, sorry, sorry! I never saw anyone in the woods…� She apologized, just as she would have to one of her mentors at the Academy, her tongue seemingly falling over itself to express regret. Her mind, as it had always done, was thinking about totally unrelated things.

Like why the lady was picking at her gloves constantly, for instance. It was a wood they were in, and the lady’s gloves were light, delicate. Raen was sure they would survive general wear and tear, but those gloves were never made to be used in woods. Still, people had their reasons. In the Academy, where she’d studied till fifteen, she’d learnt never to question another person’s habits.

“I was just… ah, going after that old man. The one on the horse with…� Her voice trailed off as Chesca neighed suddenly. “Gah! By every single god, angel, demon, hell, heaven and royalty that I know, that dammed stallion will be the death of me!� She shouted, as she remembered that yet again, she’d completely forgotten to tie Chesca down to anything.

She’d bought Chesca from a horse merchant who’d been mistreating him when she’d first started adventuring two years before. After all that time together, the horse and her’d worked out a deal. She did her job, if she forgot anything, the horse would promptly take advantage of it.

She ran into the clearing, completely forgetting about the lady in the woods, just in time to see Chesca strike at another horse. Another horse that the old man was riding. Raen froze and swore.

“Oh s**t. Oh d**n. Oh gods above and powers that be. What did I ever do to deserve this? And I’m only seventeen, blast it.�

(OOC again: Please notice that I’m not doing anything whatsoever right now to hinder Chesca. *grins evilly*)