llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: mad necromancer  (Read 854 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline crazylittleelf

• Apprentice
    • Awards
mad necromancer
« on: September 23, 2004, 11:11:19 AM »
I've got a scenario about half written, but I'm having some problems.

Situation:  Strange occurrences, including the dead rising from their graves.

Cause:  A mad necromancer has stumbled across a map drawn on enchanted paper.  At one point in the past, the paper was used to create powerful scrying aids.  The necromancer is obsessed with the map, and spends hours studying it.  He's loosing control of his faculties, however, and sometimes casts spells without realizing it.  Due to the nature of the map, whatever he casts is directed at the location of the map, as if he is there in person.  Sometimes this results in the dead being raised, sometimes he causes fear and nightmares in the townspeople who happen to be at the target area.

My problem is this:  How on earth are my players going to discover this?

They'll hear through gossip and rumors of the problems around town, and will most likely hunt down any undead that they hear of.  I'm just drawing a blank on how they're going to be able to connect the problems with the cause.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 09:33:02 AM by Strolen »

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
mad necromancer
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 02:24:37 PM »
1) Your mad necromancer is infamous/ famous. Though he is known not to be the type to do random evil, he might know of the necromancer who is.

2) Let them be here when a spell is cast, so they can see a "spell drop from the sky" or from a green vortex from above.  

A couple of resources later and they could find a reference to the green vortex being the EYE OF OMYGOD! The eye allows mage-priests of elder times watch over their flock (and look for insurrection).

3) Let another necromancer be investigating the events. Maybe he recognizes the particulars of the spell being cast.

4) Zombies and others eventually start shambling towards the necromancer's location. So of course there is a horde of these things converging in one place.  If this has been going on for a while... and some of them from far away are just getting to the area.....

That should do it.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline crazylittleelf

• Apprentice
    • Awards
mad necromancer
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2004, 02:54:20 PM »
Ah.  Good ideas.  Thanks.

I hadn't even thought of having the zombies and what-not being drawn towards his house.

And recognizing the effect of the spell being cast from the Ancient Evil Bad JuJu....yes...*starts planning bad things*