Poll

Do you use the GURPS system?

Im a huge fan.
2 (28.6%)
I've played it to some extent.
1 (14.3%)
I would like to try it someday.
3 (42.9%)
I've never played it. Doesn't interest me.
1 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: September 19, 2004, 11:27:14 PM

Author Topic: GURPS 4th Edition...your thoughts?  (Read 1342 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline SleeperCell

• Apprentice
    • Awards
GURPS 4th Edition...your thoughts?
« on: September 19, 2004, 11:27:14 PM »
Not sure if this is the right place to post....hope I don't upset anyone if it isn't....

Im a big GURPS fan and I just received the first two 4th Edition books. I must say that I am very pleased so far with the new books. I think Steve Jackson has really done a good job at fine-tuning and streamlining the rules which had grew to enormous proportions.

Im simply wondering if anyone out there uses the GURPS system and what you think of the 4th edition version.....
I threw in a little poll to see if Im the only GURPS player around.....
" If you guys had listened to me and killed everyone, less people would have gotten hurt.".

Online Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Elite Systems Guild Golden Creator Elite Plot Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004, 11:35:36 PM »
It is not that I am not interested, only that my own system is working great. I think I'll keep it.

I experimented with quite some number of games in the past. GURPS was often recommended by fellow players, but I never got the time.

Oh, by the way: I have reason to believe there are some GURPS fans around.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2004, 01:00:11 AM »
I am a closet GURPs fan.  While I did some work/ playtest for Hero some years back, my first regular campaign was The Fantasy Trip, aka GURPS V0.2. I have a soft spot for the game that is the descendent of my first game. The source materials alone have made being fluent with the game system worth it.

As for 4th edition:
It is a nice five star set of book.

Nice points:
Color Coded section.
Lots of Example
Use of color on the pages to highlight things.

Bad Points:
Cost! 70 Bucks for the two main books...

In General
Attributes costs have been simplified.
Attribute cost for STR & Health is now 10 pts level, the more useful DEX & IQ are 20 pts a level.

Advantages and Disadvantages have been condense into one book and better defined. They are also coded as physical/ mental/ social with the modifiers of paranormal/ supernatural/ mundane. None of the "odd" or "environment specific" advantages and disads are included, but they have included all the generally usable ones in the book. Note some of the advantages/ disadvantages are from Supers/ Aliens, and usable for making races and some supers.

The Skills list in inclusive as well, with all the odd specialties added in. No more searching through six books and the almanac. The new skills rules and costs have been clarified in short sections. Specialties and defaluts are well thought out and simplified.

Book II
Same advanages, color coded, clear and concise descriptions.

The combat system has been quite cleaned up. Even though it is still one second turns, the rules now make more sense.

There are tactical and environment rules for a variety of situation, vehicle rules, animal creation, template creation, and a many things a GM needs.

There is a section on World Design/ Campaign Design which is not that impressive.

It includes the time line world (Centrum and Timeco) from Time Travel, now Alternate History 1.

While the game is still a tool kit, there is still need for genre specific setting books. (i.e. while there are guidelines in this book, they are not as useful for creating new things as they could be.) It is a good solid game. They really got it right this time. Now lets see what they do with it.

It is not a D20 killer by any stretch of the imagination, but it will give you an option.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline SleeperCell

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2004, 01:42:50 PM »
For me, the No1 appeal in the game was it's "generic" rules system and their character creation rules.
I never really liked games that had "template characters" because I never understood why a Mage couldn't wield a sword if he had to or why a fighter couldn't learn a usefull spell or two.

With GURPS, I was able to create a Fantasy setting, a Science Fiction one and even start a CIA/FBI undercover type campaign. I am presently working on a Supers campaign but I will probably wait for the 4th Ed Supers book to come out (Supers never really worked with the 3rd Ed version).
" If you guys had listened to me and killed everyone, less people would have gotten hurt.".

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2004, 09:36:19 PM »
Never tried it, but I'd like to.
Unfortunately for me, Idaho is the absolute backwater eddy of the universe of roleplaying, except, perhaps, for Tehran, Iran. So if I ever see the Gurps 4th Edition books, they'll probably be several years old.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
Re: GURPS 4th Edition...your thoughts?
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 11:12:52 AM »
Bump. Bump.Bump.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©