llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: The Arrow's Time and Motion  (Read 980 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
  • Awards 2013 Location of the Year Questor NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
The Arrow's Time and Motion
« on: September 18, 2004, 10:31:51 PM »
Hm, I found this interesting piece whilst seeking some paradoxes. I have to mull over it further before I could make it anything, but I think its quite interesting:

"One can concede to Zeno that at each instant the arrow does not move. But it doesn't follow that the arrow does not move at all. The concept of motion can simply be understood as "occupying different points of space at different points in time." That the arrow is motionless at each instant is beside the point. In fact, since motion requires time, it does not make sense for there to be motion at timeless instants."

This whole paragraph presents an interesting thought, in that the concept of time is the only thing that defines motion and mobility, which i suppose makes sense when you think about it, but I never really THOUGHT about it before in that way.

SO!

In what way could I harness this phrase into something fantasy-like?

The first thing that popped into mind was Captainpenguins Dhampire setting. This could be made into a riddle, and when a Dhampire truly understands the concept of Time bieng motion, the Dhampire would be able to grasp that 'time' and 'motion', thus both allowing him to move at much faster speeds, and also perhaps to look a small amount into the future, thus increasing reflexes.

Then, of course, I thought how I could make an item out of this:

What about a crossbow or bow, imbued by someone who understands the time/motion concept, which would enchant any arrow or bolt placed upon it to be outside the borders of time. Thus the moment an arrow is fired, it is instantly jutted into whatever it is aimed at.
The thought behind this bieng: the enchantment pulls the arrow out of its restriction of motion, and instantly places it at the end of its path, by negating the time that it requires. Now, the arrow would still have to be aimed correctly, because though it removes time from it, it doesnt change where it would be, so:

the archer fires the arrow, and instantly, the arrow is imbedded, humming softly. But the arrow is not where he aimed it to be! Its a good ten inches to the left! A second later, the archer feels a breeze as the wind changes.

See what im getting at? The enchantment basically pulls the arrow out of the future into the present, but it can still be effected by things OF the future, as it would have been had it taken its normal few seconds of flight.

Basically what we have in this, is a primitive sniper rifle - as in it is instant hit. But it is also inaccurate.

Anyway - i think i'd best mull over this some more :) Please post your own thoughts and ideas.
Lazarus Lightward, Elite Diabolist of the Brotherhood - Level 3 Occultist
Deathpriest Noxx, Herald of Eternal Silence – Level 2 Necromancer
STR: 2 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 12 | INT: 13

Strolenite Relic, resurfaced.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2004, 10:53:21 PM »
Gaaahh...

*brain dissolves*

I gotta' think about this a bit more. How can the arrow be motionless for a moment if it's moving due to time? That doesn't really connect.

As for Dhampiri- that's a great idea! Could be one of the Blood Riddles or something.

The arrow-sniping outside of time-
I don't understand. Care to render that further so that it can be digested in smaller, penguin-sized bites?
Are you saying that the arrow hits the target in the future? So the arrow is waiting for the target a minute further in time, until, say, a breeze in the future blows it off course?

*rubs his head*
Ai, valerme Cthulhu.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
  • Awards 2013 Location of the Year Questor NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2004, 05:07:58 AM »
Ok, the basically, the spell pulls the arrows "End path", or its hit, out of the future, and places it in the present.

Ok, lets say for the timelines sake, the arrows time path goes as follows:

[each spot may be effected by wind or anything]

Leaves bow; spot1; spot2; s3; s4; . . . . . . . .(Infinite spots of motion with infinite moments of time) ; End path.

What the spell does, is replace 'spot1' with the End path.

But now I think on it further, it may not make sense, because the other person is moving as well, if they are aiming at a mobile target. So Im not sure how it would work :P Still, its something I'll think over more.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2004, 10:48:16 AM »
What is the issue? The arrow is not moving in subjective time (i.e. the observer), but is moving in common time, thus it only appears not to be moving to the observer.  

The effect simply inserts subjective time relative to the arrow to those observing it. Either that or it is simply adding subjective time to the arrow, allowing it to poof into the target in seemingly no time at all.

This is not even a koan or puzzle. Just because you don't see motion does not mean motion does not occur. It just proves that your individual universe is subjective, and that it only has a partial overlap with my universe and the objective universe.

Welcome to the world of relativity and quantum physics... or magic.  The magical paradigm unlocked the key concepts of relativity for me.

Note: Archers (and other skilled combatants) mention time dialation, time slows down and they are able to calmly focus and know the situation and act.  This time dialation is the responsible factor for many superior warriors incredible speed. (It is also the key idea behind bullet time).

aside: I think someone has been playing (or reading the novelization) of the Prince of Persia recently.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2004, 09:42:06 PM »
Hmm, interesting :)

And as good a game Prince of persia is, this was not inpired by it, or even in the back of my thoughts.