llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Mae'ver  (Read 1221 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Nappo

• Apprentice
    • Awards
Mae'ver
« on: September 14, 2004, 04:48:01 PM »
It was it's own island, docked on the shores of East Kara'Tur, pinned between ocean and land. It was an unusual city, afloat in the most difficult of fasions as it was of pure iron and stone, however enchantments could fix most problems this new empire had with the laws of physics. It took the form of a cross, districts seperated simply by one bridge after the other, at the tip of the cross lay the Temple district, scarce of buildings, save for the temple itself and two guard towers built as spires, leaning back against the sky, and shadowing over the complete district.
 To the west, lay the Radiant Quarter, festivals and celebrations always at work or in planning, children running about bare foot against the stone ground, running through alleys and screaming with anticipation as they played hide and seek behind lamp posts and garbage piles. The Radiant Quarter spoke for itself, riches adorned this area of Mae'ver, shining and gleaming as they where hung outside of doors, or pawned to other natives. There lay no spires in this district as the buildings had flat roofs, lower than most of the rest, however low, in terms of Mae'ver 'low' was of fifteen feet. Outside in the streets it was all in fact beautiful and -radiant- however inside was the pleasure. Gems where strung along walls, shining against the paper lanterns and romantic candles. Black marble was was you first stepped on as you walked inside, always cleaned, polished, reflecting the beings awaiting face. Walls where of deep colors, maroon or evergreen, matching the countertops and tables as they stood proud as they shown their own mahagony taste.
 To the east was The Drop Off, boats would weave in and out between the bridges, docking in the very farthest northern corner of this district, bringing goods and other items for trade and sale. The Drop off was a large Bazaar, where natives could come and buy what they needed for the nights supper, or the next days meals. Usually, the natives ate dried meats, and steamed vegetables, corn meal, and foods of the starch food group. Occasionally they would have to prepare fresh cattle meat, however that was not a challange, but not favoured amongst the people. Becuase Mae'ver was a city upon water, they could only offer crafting services, however that gained them much profit for their efforts, selling and trading Plate mail and Chain male, along with the occasionally Katana or Longbow.
 In the very center of Mae'ver lay the En'mou district, filled to copacity with roaming people. This district was the average of a city, buildings of the average state, however still elegant. Libraries and small Clergy temples(These where no substitute for the natural religion spread throughout Mae'ver) sprawled out across the stone and iron grounds. Guilds took part in Mae'ver, leading to more than half of the settlements and celebrations that where layed through this city.
 The norm of the people in this city had no idea of what went through the waste works of their city or who had been set to work down their, and none of the cared all too much, for they where happy. Those who had been set to work beneath the city lived far lesser lives, however still given the same priveledges. At their expense, the city was tremedous, and at their expense the city prospered. However much those who lived above the city believed this was all too magical, those below knew how much the waste works provided the city with.
--------------------------------------------
To be continued and edited later. Feel free to leave comments, however it's not complete so I'd apreciate it is I didnt get all too many "I dont like this, I dont like that, change this, change that." if you have suggestions, thats fine, becuase I'm going to be changing much of it around anyhow. But please don't give me stuff such as "This was horrible! *Lock lock lock*" :(
  • But I dont want to go among the mad people.
  • Oh. You can't help that...We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad.
  • How do you know I'm mad?
  • You must be or you would'nt have come here.

Offline Cheka Man

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Mae'ver
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 07:21:39 PM »
A plot hook in an RP could be that the PC's must stop an evil and/or insane  mage from casting a spell that breaks the magic that keeps the city afloat.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Mae'ver
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2004, 08:51:49 PM »
Hmmm...
Kara-Tur? That is the old D&D Oriental Adventures setting, is it not? I'll have to read up on that...
Note on Katanas-
Your world may be different, but if Mae'ver were in feudal Japan, there would not be Katanas for sale. Katanas are a lord's weapon, an expensive family heirloom, and normal people couldn't just buy one.
However, perhaps your world is different- katanas are just swords, and they can be bought and sold.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Nappo

• Apprentice
    • Awards
Mae'ver
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004, 09:21:28 PM »
I'll take note not to mention DnD again...I'll really have to update this piece...From what I hear this place isnt big on DnD, so my idea's of fantasy are pretty much blown from the water...I've been writing off of the DnD universe for some time, for verious reasons, one after the other...Mmm Learning a different style will be good for me. ^.^ And yes it is quite a seperate world from your normal Japanese setting, Katana's are very much so of the normal standard in Mae'ver...
  • But I dont want to go among the mad people.
  • Oh. You can't help that...We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad.
  • How do you know I'm mad?
  • You must be or you would'nt have come here.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Mae'ver
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2004, 09:27:09 PM »
No, no, don't worry about mentioning D&D! We don't mind that, as long as you don't load your submission up with D&D statistics. That rule applies, for the most part, to character submissions where people base the entire body of the character on D&D stats.
So... Stick with the D&D universe- plenty of the other use it, I'm just not a D&D-kind of guy.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist