llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: ::Omelas::  (Read 1900 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Nappo

• Apprentice
    • Awards
::Omelas::
« on: September 12, 2004, 08:30:07 PM »
Alright, Depending on what you've heard, everyone has some different outlook on the city of Omelas... I'm simply posting -my- outlook, and adding a little twist to it. Love it, hate it, whatever.
--------------------------------------------------------
As much as Omelas was a city, it was a citadel. A haven for creatures of a new and profound race, and religion. Omelas was haven for "The Tainted" a race of demonic and celestial blood lines, years before beginning in the city of Sigil, the city of pure neutrality. As they where banished from Sigil, they created their own protected garden, eventually spawning into a new, uproar of a city.

In the streets of Omelas, the main language was of Common, however others visiting from the Shadow planes or passing through to another realm often spoke Rokugani, or perhaps Elvish. Almost everywhere you looked, you could find another race, the Tainted had welcomed such beings into their homes without hesitation, eager for Allies and the like. Making is easy for others to come and go as they pleased, leaving most of Omelas open for attack, or danger.

However, Omelas seemed well enough protected, it's spires overlooking the cast forests beneath, and its imperial guards sweeping the cobble stone streets. For added protection, they had hired a powerful binder, who could easily weave magic through his fingertips and create a spell to protect such a place. Fog and rain where a constant in Omelas, and this was the binders spell, for the fog and rain clouded any air-riders vision, leaving Omelas well hidden from any airial attacks.

The Underdark was a city beneath, it's lights came from paper lanterns and spells that the Drow cast apon the city, their alighnment was of pure evil, and their people of the few who never spoke of, or traveled to Omelas. However, eventually they became agrivated with its prosperity, knowing that they would soon lose there own means of trade and travel. Leaving their earthly home to attack and spread plague apon the city. Omelas, in distress of this new plague, knew nothing of where it came from, bidding its travelers to keep doors tightly locked, and it doing so, keeping their people from fleeing, leaving them to perish slowly from plague and assasinations delt from the septim hand of the Valsharess.

Soon, Omelas was a fallen city. It's population now consisting of burning corpses and plagued rats. Beetles made nests in the alleys, leaving the city in harmony with crackling embers and screeching insects. The buildings began to crumble, libraries in shambles, the books a last resort for the fires to turn upon, eating them along with old records of the city and the legends that belonged to it. Walls where knocked through, boards upturned and the docks a living nightmare of nails and splintered woods. Omelas knew not of these attacks, or where they came from to protect themselfs, therefor leaving them to perish against the bruising weapons of the Drow. As they slowly roamed the city, exchanging glances and hooting in achievement, they came upon the last standing spire, and apon reaching the top, they found a bell, the bell that usually rang out when celebration became of the city. Omelas had not fought back, and however hallow this victory seemed, and however unjust, the Drow rang the bell, leaving it to echo across the distance as they danced about in cheer, of this new found victory.
--------------------------------------------------------
Comments would be apreciated...( I've been told I was a good Role Player, and a good plot designer, however I'm not sure of how well I do when describing places and what has become of them :/ )
  • But I dont want to go among the mad people.
  • Oh. You can't help that...We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad.
  • How do you know I'm mad?
  • You must be or you would'nt have come here.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2004, 09:07:21 PM »
First of all-
I don't like the planes concept, I don't like alignments, I don't like Common, and I don't like drow.

How apocalyptic you make it sound.
What do you mean this is just your view? I've never seen another mention of Omelas anywhere.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Nappo

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2004, 09:12:46 PM »
Mrm :/ It's not supposed to be apocalyptic since it's only one city...However, It's only a fantasy thing... And yes this is just my view of it, no one else has posted it HERE of course, but on other sites that I have been to, it's been mentioned...Anyhoo, I am now ready for bed...Im sorry you dont like all of it, I dont really like the drow either, however since they are evil, it rather fit...Sorry ^.^ G'night.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004, 08:33:19 AM »
Ignore him. We often do. He keeps forgetting that occasionally we should be giving helpful advice upon things we don't like, rather than just bagging on the newbie post. If one ignores posts one does not like, they eventually slip into the bottom of the forum and are out of sight and mind.

Now while I agree with him that I hate the DnD planar system and that Drow are WAY, WAY overused (We got over Ninjas, we will get over Drow), the basics of the city are good.  What I would want you to do is add more description for the city.  Give me a better feel for the way it looked then and the way it looked now.  You have given me great hints, but I would want to see what you think it should be.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Systems Guild Gold Creator 10 Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Questor
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2004, 12:18:30 PM »
Ahadi took several steps into the ruined citadal that had once been Omelas. The main street seemed fairly clear but a short walk into one of the nearby buildings brought the truth to light. The furniture inside was mostly broken timber now, the hearth cold and the bodies...the bodies were everywhere. Some had clawed at their faces in their dying moments, as the disease savaged their flesh, destroyed their minds with fever and delusion. It was the will of the Praetor that Omelas be lessened lest it threated his own home, in the earth below. That arguement hadnt sat well with Ahadi, but it was his duty to serve and obey, not to question the ways of the Praetorians...

The rest is posted in the Freeform Roleplay. It was quite long and once it got rolling seemed more like a game in the making than a viable responce. I have once again digressed.

http://www.rpgcitadel.com/guild/index.php?topic=1768.0

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Nappo

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2004, 04:06:58 PM »
Thanks, however since I have actually been going through something of a 'writers block' for this particular subject, I'll have to come back to it and really add alot more detail later... Untill then, I think I'll add another thread, for another setting... I will try adding much more detail, and explain a bit more. Thanks for the posts :)