llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: A Glance From Heaven- Introduction to the Empire  (Read 2250 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
A Glance From Heaven- Introduction to the Empire
« on: September 07, 2004, 04:42:48 PM »
Look down, young God. See you Creation? Now look there, direct thine eye by mine hand. See you that spreading? That swelling? That creeping? That stain of color? That encroaching, building, devouring creature of life and shape and shadows, a cyst of Men upon our favored Creation?
That is called the Empire.
For four-thousand years of Men, the Empire has ground on, blazing outward into the lands of other forms of Men and other beings, taking, stealing, fighting, tricking, living. The Men of the Empire have forged an fortress of humanity, an unstoppable force unlike any other form of Man, as normal mortals in individual, but together, a godlike power.
From their central Assor Sea, their capitol city of Assor-Hu, where sits their Emperor, one of our number, an outcast God, the Imperials have gone forth and conquered the largest kingdom on Creation, from the frozen tundras of Iceheart Province to the steaming jungles of Vasseme Prefecture, from the soaring mountains of Eagle's Wing Province to the verdant marshes of Blue Coast Prefecture.
Learn what you can, young god, for the time comes quickly when these Men will rival Gods, when they will build weapons of potency and terror, when they will build fortresses of impassable virtue, when they will build creatures of their own, when they will build towers of flame to the sky to battle us for supremacy over Creation, and in preparation for this day, we must observe. Learn well, young God, for Men are quick builders.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Empire is a setting that I would like the flesh out, and the basic theory is that there is an incredibly massive Empire (called the Empire), ruled by an outcast God, that is constantly expanding, and taking in new territory at its edges. The Gods, who dwell in the skies above Creation, see this civilization as a threat, because it is so potent that eventually it may rival them for rule over the Cosmos. Therefore, Gods (and their counterparts in Creation, the Spirits) take an active part in the world, preparing their strength for the day when the Empire comes to challenge them.

At the Empire's edges, there are constantly-running Border Wars, through which the Imperials battle against Barbarians (i.e., any Man who isn't an Imperial). A very large part of the Empire's fantastic resources and manpower are funneled to fighting these wars and expanding the Empire. Imperials are not sure quite why they want to expand, but in the mind of ever Imperial is the need to expand their nation. This is much due to the genetic tampering of the Emperor, a god outcast from Heaven, who has ingrained this into their culture.
The Empire's expansion has been halted only on two fronts: The Western Mountains, and the Eastern Sea. The Western Mountains are higher even than the Himalayas, and were a defensive rampart raised by Spirits (terrestrial Gods) in the ancient war against the Emperor. The Duerga, enigmatic metal beings, dwell in hidden holds within these peaks, holding an uneasy truce with the Empire. The Duerga know that it is only the Mountains that stop the Men of the Empire from attempting to destroy them.
In the East, there is a vast ocean, which the Imperials call the Sea, which is trackless, spanning all the way to the Edge of the World, where the Gods can descend from Heaven. There are many islands in the Sea, the stepping stones of the Gods, havens to pirates, Barbarian kingdoms, tribes of monsters and demons, and the homesof Spirits and other beings.
Also within and without the Empire dwell tribes and groups of Urwhor, created long ago by none know who, serving manifold masters.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Perception
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2004, 10:36:17 PM »
The Shape of the World

Some ask; what is the Earth?
Some say it is simply a great flat region of land and water extending to the edges, where there is a Void. Others say, nay, that it is not a flat plain, but the top of a great pillar submerged in water, and that the Underworld is its base. Yet others claim that the Earth is an island floating in Heaven, and the light of the Gods causes it to cast a shadow, the Underworld. Some, the wildly heretical priests of Harrappa Cincor, claim that the Earth is a sphere floating in Heaven, and that the Underworld is within it.

The Earth is a complicated thing. None of these can explain it as it is truly percieved. Perhaps not even the Gods, with their monumental consciousnesses, can explain the shape of the world. Perhaps all of the above contentions are true; perhaps the shape of the world depends on how you think of it.

Perhaps it is also true that the Gods are not all the same as the Imperials think they are. Perhaps the Stars are not named Shining White and Sword Eagle and She-Goat and Roarer Horribly. Perhaps the Earth is not actually the broad back of Everything Rests On Him. Even Imperials do not agree with Imperials; the Star-charts sometimes contradict themselves, despite the knowing of the Priests, and the banished Apocryphal Priests claim that there was another God once, who rebelled against Shining White, but the legitimized Priests deny this vehemently.
Perhaps it is true, as some well-traveled people say, that the Cincori God Great Sun is the same god as the Imperial Goddess Guardian of Heaven, but merely wearing a different mask. Perhaps they are right, and the File Goddess Mu is the same as the Imperial God First Trickster.

It is my contention, as the Keeper of the Praxis, author and creator of the Eyes which you see in this Praxis of Knowledge, that the Imperials are the most knowledgeable in these matters- I have chosen to present the Imperial Gods, with the inclusion of the Apocryphal Priests' Dreaming Dark, as the true canon of the Cosmos. But perhaps I am not correct- perhaps my own perception is not like your own.

What must be said is that though the Eyes cannot lie, the Eyes are my own. The Eyes percieve the Earth and the Heavens and the Underworld as seems to be the most truthful and logical to me. Perhaps your perceptions are different. If so, trust them, and refute me.

But read of this Praxis; learn and know, as all Gods, and all mortals, must.

May you find all you seek,

-The Keeper of the Praxis

((OOC: Basically, guys- just because I say that the Earth really is the god Everything Rests On Him doesn't mean that's what it is. Just because I say that the Spirits are named so, and the Gods act so, doesn't mean that you cannot choose to say that it is actually the Ffolkki who are right, and the Gods are a bunch of hard-partying quasi-Norse warrior deities. Maybe both are true. I'm trying not to stranglehold the interpretation of the Empire as "it is this" or "it is that". There are some things which can only be interpreted one way- Imperial history, language, and the like. But the way magic works, who the Gods are, how magic works, that is a matter of your own personal perception.
Oh, and one more thing- if you think the Keeper of the Praxis is a God, maybe you're right, though some signs say otherwise; but if you think it's a mortal, you're wrong. Maybe.)
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist