llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Land Of The Eshal  (Read 21647 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Systems Guild Gold Creator 10 Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Questor
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
Land Of The Eshal
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2004, 11:04:56 PM »
The armor is simple, it would be made of preserved bone set into suits of leather made from the hides of the various sea-monsters that the eshal use as mounts. It would be equivalent to regular leather armor, studded leather armor, and brigandine, but with plates of bone sandwiched between leather layers.

There could be an interesting application for the carapaces of the giant crabs. Some weapons could be fashioned from the thick central ridges, and with a good saw (lurdi tooth comes to mind) armor plates could be fashioned from it. Weapons could be crafted from the same material.

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Maggot

• Insectoid Horror Of Canberra
  • King
  • Awards Society Guild Elite Society Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Locations Guild Questor
    • Awards
Eshal protective equipment
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2004, 05:32:54 AM »
Armour-To protect their soft bodies,the Eshal wear armour that is created out of Groll or Great Serpent hide and the carpace of a Great Crab or some of  the smaller bones found in an Uuluuln.The hide is used to make a vest,which then has bits of Great Crab or preserved Groll bones.Although seemingly frail when compared with steel armour,the interlocking bits of bone or carpace can turn aside the hacking blow of a Lurdi flint hatchet or the thrust of an Anura spear,saving the wearer's life in the process.

Helm-The helm worn by an Eshal warrior to protect his sensitive eyes,is carved out of the carpace of a Great Crab.To make themselves look mighty and terrifying,Eshal warriors often adorn their helms with various bones taken from foes and dangerous beasts they have slain.
“I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak.” -Bill Watterson

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Maggot

• King
  • Awards Society Guild Elite Society Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild Locations Guild Questor
    • Awards
A look at the Eshal priesthood
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2004, 06:36:27 AM »
Scras,do you think I should go on to describe the priestly administration of the Eshal lands,or should I concentrate on fleshing out the milatary first?
“I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak.” -Bill Watterson

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Systems Guild Gold Creator 10 Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Questor
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
Land Of The Eshal
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2004, 07:15:15 AM »
I think the priesthood has more potential because once you get past the different names and weapon preferences, a soldier is a soldier.

Offline very_veiwtiful_joe

• Apprentice
    • Awards
Land Of The Eshal
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2004, 03:52:57 PM »
I think he idea of a preisthood is a wonderful idea. Should they be clerics or just your average 'I pray every day' preists?
The strong are not always strong. The mighty are not always mighty. But the Wisdom of the Wise lasts forever.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Land Of The Eshal
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2004, 04:21:33 PM »
What is the difference between a cleric and a priest? Cleric just means "priest".
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Maggot

• King
    • Awards
The High Priests of the Eshal and their roles and functions
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2004, 12:27:32 AM »
The High Priests are next only to the Emperor himself in importance.Spawn of the Matriach,just like him,they are seen as being of almost divine orgin and are entrusted with the sacred task of appeasing the Gods of water.Once every 2 years,a great sacrifce is held,to thank the Gods for the divine favour they have blessed their daughter and her son,the Matriach and Emperor repsectively,with.There is no fixed date and the priests rely on dreams and visons to tell them when the Gods wish the sacrifice to be held and what they wish to be done by the Emperor.

These arcane and confusing dreams are interpreted by the mysterious Cuada mystics that train the Priests in the ways of the Gods.The sacrifice is held in the courtyard of the vast temple known as the Abode of The Divine Ones and is presided over by the Emperor himself.Produce and precious objects collected from every part of the empire is offered before the massive statues that represent the Gods of Water,by the Emperor and the High Priests.A line of wretched slaves are then led to a massive granite enclosure housing massive Red sharks,so named for their dark red hides.The High Priests believe them to be the holy messengers of the Gods of Water.Thus,feeding the unfortunate slaves to these ravenous carnivores acknowledges the gifts the Gods have shown the Brave people.Carrying out this ritual of gratitude without fail ensures that the Eshal continue to prosper.Crops and livestock will be healthy and abundant and the War Chiefs will continue to smite the savages.

But their duty does not end there.In addition to their religous and ceremonious functions,they also head the massive bureacracy that is responsible for governing and collecting tribute from the various lands of the empire.Each High Priest is in charge of his own domain.In ruling it,he is assisted by lesser priests that are the children of his many consorts and a War Chief,who with the aid of his warriors,puts down any native uprisings.The lesser priests in turn are responsible for overseeing the indidvual Eshal colonies and villages.In this they are helped by the scribes,whom they recruit from among the brighter peasants.Thus,the High Priest is the Eshal equivalant of a duke.In addition to his lesser priests and scribes,he also has a large army of retainers and servants who have the task of taking care of his own personal holdings and a Cuada advisor,who in a non-official position,offers him advice on how to deal with some of the more complicated problems he may face.The presence of the Cuada appointment however,is resented by the warriors who see the Cuada as meddling salamanders.This has sometimes led to disagreements and differences of oppinion,between the High Priest and the War Chief.The only time the various High Priests congregate together,is during the great sacrifces and the sporting event known as the Quop.

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Maggot

• King
    • Awards
Prophecies
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2004, 12:37:03 AM »
Guys,I'm thinking of creating an Eshal book of prophecies and warnings,something like a book of doom.Any ideas or suggestions?

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
The Prophecy of the Brave People
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2004, 07:56:34 AM »
1. It is one of the Inner Mysteries that is reserved to the higher ranking echelons of the religious heirarchy, and is used as a guide for the Brave People as a whole, and not a canon book like the Quran or Bible. Knowledge is power, and power is not given away freely.

2. It is an oral record, not recorded on a physical surface. The higher ranking priests also serve as pseudo-jonglours, passing the prophecy on to the eshal who rise far enough in the ranks to become privvy to the Inner Mysteries. There could even be highly respected scholars who have dedicated their lives to memorizing the prophecy in whole and leading exploration and interpretation of the prophecy.

3. Question to ponder. Is the Prophecy really a thing given from the gods/oracles what not, or is it a really big piece of Cuada propagande to whack the eshal over the head with? Is it a real prophecy, and do the Cuada just have a better understanding of abstract concepts?

4. Most of the prophecy would be events that have already transpired to give the prophecy credibility. None of it has to be true as long as someone thinks it is true. A small portion would be the Commandments and sins of the Brave people as well as admonishments and threats of divine punishment, and the last part a suitably prophetic doom. We humans have been claiming the world is going to end since the fall of the Roman empire. This is assuming that you are looking for a 'facts of life' sort of work as opposed to the portents of the future and wrath of the gods bit.

Offline Maggot

• King
    • Awards
Land Of The Eshal
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2004, 04:24:03 AM »
Please elaborate more on the ''facts of life'' bit.  I'm sorry if I sound a little dumb or slow,but it's a bit hard for me to understand.

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
Land Of The Eshal
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2004, 08:10:37 AM »
The basic thou shalts and thous shalt nots that are not part of the big list. Some examples from the Bible include that one should only eat the flesh of fish that have scales and eat not  that which has either cloven, or uncloven hooves. Other stuff spelled out for the commoners, dont date your sister, dont eat all of the prey...how to offer regular prayers as opposed to bloody sacrifices and so on.

Offline Maggot

• King
    • Awards
Land Of The Eshal
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2004, 10:34:59 PM »
Ahh,I get it now.I'll draw up a list of commandments for the Eshal soon.

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Land Of The Eshal
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2004, 10:58:10 PM »
Well don't just copy the Christian commandments. Phrase them differently- make them a riddle or something. Or how about a chain of reasoning?
"You must not cause pain, therefore you must not harm or sicken, therefore you must not kill"
"You must continue our people, therefore you must create strong children, therefore you must reproduce outside of your family, but you must not harm, therefore you must not rape."

Something like that, although that seems a bit complicated for the Eshal...

Offline Maggot

• King
    • Awards
The first 3 Commandments of the Eshal
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2004, 03:34:20 AM »
1. You shall do your best to make The Brave People strong,therefore you will not slacken in your tasks,therefore you will be content with your place among us.

2.  You will uphold the superiority of our race,therefore you will in no way aid in empowering the savage infidels,therefore you will not treat them as equals,but with the contempt they richly deserve,therefore pity them not.

3.  You will honour your duty to the Brave people,therefore you will do what is do what is good for our nation rather than thyself,therefore you will remember that you will obey the commands given to those who rank above you and will not seek to disobey them.

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Land Of The Eshal
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2004, 09:22:14 PM »
Awesome! I like them already.

Offline Maggot

• King
    • Awards
The next 3 Commandments
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2004, 11:54:39 PM »
4.You will see to it that The Brave People will continue to remain numerous,therefore you will you take as many consorts as you can afford,but you must see to it that all of them bear your heirs happily,therefore do not favour one over the rest,therefore forget not your older consorts when a younger one is brought into your house.

5.You must remember that The Brave People must not allow themselves to forget that for all their power, that they are only mere mortals who must not forget the source of their power,therefore fail not to respect and revere the Gods of Water for the bessings they have shown us,therefore always conduct the ritual sacrifices and on no account,harm one of their first born,the Cuada.

6.You will remember that  the fire of strength and youth is but of the moment,therefore respect and trust only the wisdom of the ages,which is forever,therefore do as commanded by your elders and provide for their needs without complaint.

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
Land Of The Eshal
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2004, 12:42:44 AM »
We are the Cuada, and we approve this message.

Offline Maggot

• King
    • Awards
Land Of The Eshal
« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2004, 10:34:49 PM »
Do you think the 6 Commandments I have written so far,cover all aspects of Eshal life?

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
Land Of The Eshal
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2004, 11:51:59 PM »
Lets see.

1. Work hard, dont complain
2. Remember we are better than everyone else
3. Work for the Greater Good
4. Multiply
5. Respect the gods, and their servants
6. Respect the elders

Looks pretty good to me.

The basic tenants of their faith provide for slavery (lesser races of course) communism, polygamy. They sound pretty d**n evil to me, but I think they are muy cool.

Offline Maggot

• King
    • Awards
Popular sports of the Eshal
« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2004, 11:10:43 PM »
Thanks,Scras.You guys have any ideas for competitive sports played by the Eshal?The games don't necessarily have to be restricted to any one caste and can be played by everyone.

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Maggot

• King
    • Awards
Land Of The Eshal
« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2004, 06:30:28 AM »
Do you think the games should have any religous signifigance?Something like the Olympics maybe.

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
Land Of The Eshal
« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2004, 07:18:25 AM »
I can see swimming and swimming related events being very popular, it is the equivalent of field and track to them. In the olympic vein I can see wrestling as a popular sport as well as good excercise and training for unarmed combat.

Other athletic events could be javelin/spear casting, that sort of thing, but that is fairly mundane and not likely what you are looking for. I think maybe Captain Penguin might be able to help more, he comes up with some interesting and divergent things for his empire.

Offline Maggot

• King
    • Awards
The Quop
« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2004, 07:38:32 AM »
The Quop is a series of games held to remember the victory of the Brave People over the arrogant mer folk.Although a sporting event,it has a strong religous signifigance and is second only to the Great Sacrifice in importance.The Emperor himself attends it,as do the various High Priests.Moreover,It is perhaps the only event in a strictly regimented society,that is open to everyone.Anyone can particpate,from to the lowliest peasant to a High Priest.

Coming soon:The games and ceremonies that make up the Quop.

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Maggot

• King
    • Awards
The start of The Quop
« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2004, 03:47:47 AM »
The Quop,unlike most sacred events in Eshal society is held on a fixed date and does not depend on dream interpretions by the Cuada.making it extremely popular among the warriors and peasants, who are glad that at least one major festival is free of Cuada machinations.

It is held on the 2th day of the Holy Month of Hanir,the day the Eshal are said to have crushed the infidel mer folk.It is held with great pomp and every able bodied male who is eager for glory,come to test their mettle and skill in the hope of winning the favour of the Emperor and the Gods.Vast crowds throng the Great Square,the peon space ringed by the giant pyramids that make up the Vast Temple/Palace complex,waiting for the arrival of the Emperor and the High Priests,who arrive in the capital the night before

It begins very early in the day.The Emperor arrives first,accompined by his siblings,the High Priests who arrive the night before,accompanied by their most senior retainers and their favourite offspring.When the moemnt finally comes,the great gem encrusted,ivory drum is sounded.The Emperor then strides into the square respledent in robes of purple and flanked by his Imperial Guard.Next come the High Priests with their own body guards.The High Priests form a circle around the Emperor and kneel before him.A slave is then dragged into the square.A deep hush follows as the Empeor slits the throat of the slaves with a gold hilted,ivory Drah.If the spilt blood flows around the feet of the Emperor,it means that The Gods have blessed the Quop and will allow it to take palce.If however,the blood spills on the Emperor's feet,the Quop cannot be held and must be postponed until the next year.If all goes well,the Emperor,the High Priests and other notables take their seats on the immense stone platform built into the natural rock formation covering part of the Square.The Emperor then claps his hands,signalling the start of the Quop.

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Maggot

• King
    • Awards
The first game of the Quop
« Reply #74 on: October 07, 2004, 09:49:37 PM »
The Quop begins with something called the Gower.It is an extremely popular game among the peasants who make up the bulk of the Eshal and has thus been been given first place at the games. It is usually played at village celebrations and festivals to thank the Gods and wagers are often placed on the result.

The Gower is basically a game  that takes place in rectangular wooden ring,in which the athletes are required to  swim after and grab a certain tiny fish that is released into the square,to win.But to make itmore difficult for them to win,the fish is released among an enire shoal of identical looking fish.The only way to pick it out among the rest of the fish,is too keep an eye out for it's fins that have been dyed gold.

The winner who suceeds in grabbing the prize fish,presents his quarry before the Emperor,who rewards him with a an ivory and gold chain.In addition,he is also given a large herd of Groll and prized Ranchowen stallions or mares.

Authentic Strolenite®©