llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Land Of The Eshal  (Read 23476 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Maggot

• Insectoid Horror Of Canberra
  • King
  • Awards Questor Society Guild Elite Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
The Rof
« Reply #75 on: October 08, 2004, 11:41:30 PM »
The next item is an intensely bloody and vicious sport,just the way the Eshal like their games.For anyone who particpates in this sport,faliure is not an option.Yep,it's either victory and fame or a brutal,gruesome end.

Anyone who is brave enough,is led into into a hastily constructed stone pen from which he must return alive,after defeating it's monstrous occupant.Within lies an extremely nasty Kraken that has been starved for a very long time.Naturally,it's first instinct on seeing anyone enter it's enclosure,is to swallow that intruder.Armed with just a Lorhal,the athlete must hope to dispatch a beast.Usually they will try to blind the monster by stabbing it's eyes,before it can grab them with one of it's tentacales.A blind Kraken is much easier to slay than one which can see it's opponent clearly.

If the athlete fails to slay the beast and is caught in it's deadly,many armed emabrace,there will be no attempt to rescue him.Eshal traditions of honour demand that the athlete must come out alive,through his own efforts.Nevertheless,the lure of fame and a lavish prize consisting of a sack of gold and lapis beads that given by the Emperor himself,are too powerful to resist for a lot of young Eshal males.
“I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak.” -Bill Watterson

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Maggot

• King
  • Awards Questor Society Guild Elite Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
The Hufa
« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2004, 03:35:08 AM »
The  third item at the Quop is the Hufa. It is is a game that requires fast reflexes and speed.A popular sport in most Eshal domains,it is second only to the Gower in terms of popularity among the peasant and warrior castes.

It basically involves two Eshal standing on wooden platforms that fight each other with wodden staffs,hoping to knock their opponent of his perch.There are no rules and blows can be rained anywhere.In additon,no protective padding or armour is worn  aming broken limbs,smashed jaws and even cracked skull very common.The athlete who defeats all his opponenets and wins the grand prize of a jewel encrusted obsidian mirror and two merfolk slaves,will have to defend his title as Hufa victor during the next Quop.
“I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak.” -Bill Watterson

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Maggot

• King
    • Awards
The Gadaf
« Reply #77 on: October 10, 2004, 03:14:57 AM »
A sport that follows in the violent tradition of the Rof,it too is not a sport for the faint hearted.It basically invoves a fast swim from one end of a steeply walled pen to the other,something like an Eshal equivalant of a spring but with a  brutal twist. There is usually no second or third positon for this game,as most of the time,only one out of the dozen who particpate make it out alive.

The long,roughy rectangular pen used,is actually divided into two sections,with the shorter one taking up roughy one third of the total space.The stone barrier the pen into  the two portions is be lifted with the aid of a crude system of pulleys and a  trapdoor  placed over a very large hole into the soft soil,can be seen.When one of the servants from the Emperor's staff gives the signal,two warriors enter the smaller part of the pen through a small side entrance and lift the trapdoor up,before hurriedly darting out.Within moments,massive tiger sharks shoot out of the hole and sooon the smaller part of the pen is seething with a school of ravenous,hungry sharks.When that happens,the particpants enter the longer part of pen through a small side entrance and wait for the barrier to be lifted.When the sharks shoot into their part of the pen,they're off!

Their goal is to reach the opposite end of the pen before the sharks get them.There a small hole is carved ino the wall,through which an Eshal but not a tiger shark can swim.Any survivors who make it out alive through this hole,is handsomely rewarded with gem studded ivory bracelets and talismans,along with a small herd of Groll.

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Maggot

• King
    • Awards
The Deru
« Reply #78 on: October 11, 2004, 12:44:03 AM »
The Deru is perhaps the most popular sport of the Eshal,popular with all three castes.It is also the most simple,involving just two competitors,each trying to wrestle other to the ground and hold him there for 5 minutes.

At the Quop,it's usually those from the warrior caste who challange the defending champion,given the fact that they usually are the strongest,but occasionally a peasant or lesser priest who enters,may win through skillful moves that take his bigger warrior opponent by suprise.For the fight,both contestants usually have their bodies slathered with the oily sap of a certain kind of plant called the ghora.This amkes it difficult for either opponent to get a grip on the other,thus making the Deru a contest which requires great skill from those who take part in it.

The one who defeats the defending champion,is given large,gilded ivory boxes of powdered ghora leaves,which are a very powerful stimulant,along with a herd of Groll.

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Maggot

• King
    • Awards
The Shahan
« Reply #79 on: October 11, 2004, 12:58:17 AM »
The Shahan is a game that requires quick reflexes and patience,thus making it a game popular only among certain warriors and lesser priests who have been able to cultivate that virture which is so uncommon among the fiery and hot headed Brave People.

Each contestant is given just one shot to spear a giant sea slug is kept in a box with a large round lid covering the top.When the box is set down and the lid raised,the sea slug will stay inside cautiously,slithering out only when he is sure that there is no danger outside.When this happens,the contestant who is standing 15 feet away,must chuck his Routh at it quickly to pin it down.If he misses,the next contestant in line,moves in to try his luck.

The one who sucseeds in spearing the slug is given a beautifully decorated sceptre as well as a  large sea weed plantation.

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Maggot

• King
    • Awards
The Rsua
« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2004, 08:24:46 AM »
The final item of the Quop,the Rsua is something out of a rodeo.That's right,he who stays on the pissed off horse,without getting thrown off,is the winner.

Of course,this being the water logged continint of Tarrod,there are no horses.Instead,an angry,pissed off,Great Serpent is used.Although used as the primary form of transport in the domains of the Eshal,Great Serpnts are not used by those who can afford better,for the simple reason that some of them,especially males,have been known to suddenly go crazy and turn on their owners.Most of these rouge beasts are put down,but the fiercest of them of them are taken to Tawicha for the Rsua.

The Rsua like most of the other Eshal sports I have just mentioned,is a deadly game.The athlete trying to stay on the Great Serpent,has to remember that it is very simple for the beast to turn it's head around and strike with it's deadly fangs.All it takes is a little nick,for it's virulent venom to kill the athlete.Thus,quick reflexes and persistance are necessary to win the grand prize of a large sea weed plantation and a dozen merfolk slaves.

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Systems Guild Elite Questor Gold Creator 10 Hall of Heroes 10
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
Land Of The Eshal
« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2004, 10:12:09 AM »
I would like to applaud for the Rsua, there is not nearly enough rodeo in gaming. The concept of strapping yourself to the back of a really angry animal many times your own size and then seeing how long you can stay on might seem like a dumb idea...okay, so really is a dumb idea. Common sense aside, it is the rush of a roller coaster without the lines, the roar of the crowd, and the prizes to be won in the next go round...

If you listen to country music, rodeo is a common theme, especially that of a cowboy being more in love with the rodeo than any woman, and selling off his possessions to pay for entry fees. There are rewards for winning, the least of which are the gold belt buckles, but there are also invariably the wounded, injured, and those who were unlucky.

Still it is a sport that captivates thousands, and ranges from small events with relatively tame animals (Compared to the bulls and broncs that the pro circuit uses) and lesser prizes are awarded. At the highest, prizes run into the tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of dollars, and the best bulls and broncs, raised and trained for this event are brought to bear.

Thank you

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Maggot

• King
    • Awards
Thanks!
« Reply #82 on: October 12, 2004, 11:22:31 PM »
Thank you,Scrasamax.I was very pleased to hear that I may have just introuduced a concept new to gaming.The Rsua as you suggested,would probally be a spot that some take very seriously,most probally herders and mounted warriors,who spend most of their time in the saddle.

Now that I have wrapped up the Quop and mentioned the favourite sports of the Eshal, I would like to work on the Brotherhood scheming against the Emperor and High Priests.Where do you think such a post should pe put?

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Land Of The Eshal
« Reply #83 on: October 13, 2004, 04:58:15 PM »
Probably in this thread. This is, after all, the Eshal thread.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Maggot

• King
    • Awards
The economy of the Eshal lands
« Reply #84 on: October 14, 2004, 06:58:47 AM »
The Eshal do not use money.Instead they rely on the barter system,where goods and services are exchanged.There are no permanent markets or bazzars,with trading taking palce at weekly fairs in every province,that see farmers and herders exchanging meat and agricultural produce for certain things that they cannot make themselves such as skillfully crafted bone knives and cured Groll hides.At these fairs,come lesser priests,scribes agents from the barracks of the War Chief and the offices of the  High Priest,who need to get food supplies and certain materials such as squid ink and groll bones.The peasants are paid with excellently made handicrafts and dried sea weed that only the High Priests are allowed to cultivate.Both are the work of the vast army of merfolk slaves that each High Priest has.The agents of the Emperor do not need to purchase the materials that his own scribes and Imperial Guard need,as the tribute he gets from every part of the Eshal lands are more than enough for  his expenses.

There are also honour based credit systems where the one that makes a purchase,does not have to pay up immediately.This normaly happens among the lesser priest and officers,whom when purchasing certain things in bulk from one another,find that their merfolk slaves have not made enough of the things that the other wants.He swears upon his family honour that in due time,the owed goods will arrive.The one who dares ro viloate this promise,will find himself cursed by his ancestors and the Gods who find dishonesty in the Brave People an unforgivable crime.Thus,there is no fear of the debtor defaulting.

Goods are also used to pay the required dowry,when an Eshal male whishes to take as a consort,a female from a more respected caste.For example,an officer wanting wed the daughter of a lesser priest,must give her father a couple of prized Ranchowen or a set of well crafted jewelry.

The closest thing the Eshal have to what we think of as money,are the sculptured shells of the black sea snail.These are used when a peasant or craftsman wants to buy a small or cheap item indidvualy,rather than in bulk.These shells are highly prized by peasants,due to the fact that the black sea snail reproduces extremely quickly,thus making it a symbol of wealth and fertitlity.

(Added the change you suggested and decided to give the shells great symobolic value)

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Systems Guild Elite Questor Gold Creator 10 Hall of Heroes 10
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
Land Of The Eshal
« Reply #85 on: October 14, 2004, 04:20:48 PM »
I think there should be a primitive form of currency for use among the lesser castes when bartering might be two large or cumbersome, this could be a hidden thing with non-warriors and non-priests exchaning hand sculped pieces of seashell, or other small trinkets for small items rather than the usual heavy trade of the fairs.

Otherwise looks nice

Offline Maggot

• King
    • Awards
Eshal language and script
« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2004, 12:53:43 AM »
The Eshal use a common language to communicate.When the tribes united to defeat the mer folk,they agreed to give up their tribal dialects in favour of a bastardized version of the Cuada language.This ensured that when the Eshal created their empire,people from the different provinces could understand one another.Pure Cuada is spoken only by the preists and some of the smarter warriors who can pick it up.

The Eshal script is based on a series of pictographs that were also accquired from the Cuada.A few of these pictographs are simple and can be understood by peasants and craftsmen,but most of them are very complex and can only be read by the priests,their scribes and some of the more scholarly warriors.The pictographs are written on the large,leathery leaves of a certain plant with a bone pen.If more than one leaf has to be used,they are strung together with strong kelp twine.

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Maggot

• King
    • Awards
The Brotherhood Of Larfu
« Reply #87 on: October 16, 2004, 06:13:33 AM »
In a society where the greater good often gets precedence over the indidvidual and his loved ones,in a society where everyone has a defined place which he would never be able to,nor ever dream of vacating,there exists an organization that seeks to defy the 6 Commandments.

They are the Brotherhood of Larfu,a organization that feels the 6 Commandments and evrything they stand for are a betrayal of their ancestral ways,that only they remember.They long for the days of the old Clans,when a man would cherish the welfare of his loved ones and his Clan above all else.Where a man's place in life was determined by his courage and skill,rather than the station of his mother.When a chieftain would have to earn the respect of his people,rather than be born with such a privilege.And most of all,they long for the day the Eshal have leaders that are not manipulated by thoses loathsome,spellcasting Cuada.Leaders who would never be corrupted by the foul magic of the salamander men

Their beliefs and philosopy are symbolised by their worship of Larfu,an old god of the hunt that represented personal courage and determination.Larfu was forsaken by the tribes,following the their unification in favour of the demanding Gods Of Water.But a few of the old Clan shamans remembered him still and passed the old tales to him down to their descendents.

The movement is very old and has existed for as long as the empire it's self.It was formed in secret by a group of senior warriors and shamans who were determined to preserve the old values,following the formation of the old Clans into a single unified group.Among them,no caste exists and a peasant who shows great skill and courage can climb up their ranks as quickly as a warrior.Most of it's members are peasants angry with the luxuries heaped on the Cuada and warriors who feel that the so called First Born Of The Gods have undermined the abilty of the Brave People to make important decisions.

The Brotherhood has no supreme leader and instead has a Council of Elders that votes on important decisions.Below them lie the Disciples who asist the Elders in giving orders to the rank and file.There is also an order called the Shamans of the Hunt.They are the gifted ones are trained in the arts of the shaman.They have a council of their own and do not take orders from the lay leadership.

The Brotherhood has loyal agents planted in every village who moniter the situation and recruit those who seem to have a strong indidvidualistic streak and mutter about Cuada ''meddling.

Upon joining,every member has to undergoes a certain initiation rite to ensure his loyalty.He is taken to their village office,usually no more than an abandoned store house or pen and takes an oath before a carved wooden statue of Larfu to remain ever loyal to Larfu and the ways of the old Clans.During this rite,small incisions are made along both his forearms.The blood that flows is collected in a small wooden bowl which is poured over the idol of Larfu.This symbolises the fact that his personal honour now hinges on the honour of his Clan,aka the Brotherhood.Then one trained in the arts of the shamans,chants sacred verses and douses him with the blood of a slain shark,Lafu's favoured prey.This represents his status now as the anointed of Larfu.Both these rites prevent betrayal.for betraying the Brotherhood means betrayal of one's very self,something that would mean the total and absolute loss of all self respect.In addition,the betrayer would also loose the wisdom and blessings of Larfu and the feeling that he has proved unworthy of the god,who does not punish so much as forsake.In return,the Brotherhood never commands a member to anything that would stain his honour or put his loved ones in any danger.He is also given a chance to voice his views on any topic,during the Common meetings in which every member is entitled to his view on any matter concerning the Brotherhood.The scars that result form the first ritual,allows members of the Bortherhhod to recognize each other.

These Common meetings are held in their remote headquaters once a year.The chances of anyone stumbling on it are
rare,for it is hidden among the ruins of Aflan,the forgotten mer folk city state.Most Eshal believe it it to be haunted by the restless spirits of the dead,a rumour that the Brotherhood has taken great effort to circulate.Peasants usually go with warriors,under the pretence that they have been drafted by them to assist in building new fortifications.

Initially,the Brotherhood's goal was to preserve traditional Eshal practices and customs,with emphasis being placed on the belief that every member of the tribe mattered and that to ignore his rights and contributions,would result in the Clan collapsing.They also felt that the Eshal should not turn their backs on the old gods like Larfu who made it clear to mortals that respect for gods should not reduce them to the pathetic state where they would be convince that even the slightest trangession would result in dire consequences and that the gods were there to guide rather than command them.Both these notions go against the retribution-driven concept of current religon.

Although this has largely continued to be it's main objective,something of an of an ideological split emerged among their ranks 60 years ago.Some of the more radical members of the Shamans of the Hunt,unhappy with merely preserving the old ways,have taken to asssinating Cuada mystics and lesser priets accused of pandering to the whims of the Cuada.They call themselves the Spear of Larfu and are regarded as fanatics by the rest of the Shamans of the Hunt as well as by the lay Brotherhood leadership and are thus pariahs at most Common meetings.Unlike the rest of the Brotherhood,the Spears Of Larfu,feel that the Emperor and his High Priests must be overthrown.Recent events involving bloody raids by mysterious humans known as the Snake Riders and battles by warriors,with seemingly mindless,mishappen things that were reported to have come from across the endless Vaet ocean(Helial Slaves),have convince them that the age of the Emperors is about to end.

Their victim is always found dead with a ritual spear through his chest.Any Cuada who attempts to seize control of the mind of a Spear of Larfu,will find himself confronted by the god as his terrifying alter ego,Kuwasa,the God of Retrubution.For the Cuada,this means death,for anyone other than a Shaman of the Hunt who gazes at Larfu as Kuwasa,in all his naked and terrible beauty,will die instantly.Some of them say that Kuwasa is the true identity of Larfu,but this continues to be a hotly debated subject.

(Finally finished it,Scras!Hope it meets your exspectations)

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
Land Of The Eshal
« Reply #88 on: October 16, 2004, 07:07:36 AM »
I think this looks good, a little polish and it will be nice, real nice. Now, here are a few things for you to consider, during the time of the empire, how much, or how little has the mission of the BoL changed?

Do the new initiates ape the hate of their elders, or do they follow a more spiritual path...or both? Perhaps there would be some sort of rites of initiation, trials of loyalty and such to protect the order should they fall into the hands of the Cuada meddlers.

Could there be a radical faction, a sort of salamander KKK that attacks the Cuada while a more moderate faction or cell tries to weed out their influence?

ZANG!

Offline Maggot

• King
    • Awards
Land Of The Eshal
« Reply #89 on: October 17, 2004, 06:59:14 AM »
The Brotherhood is complete!Check it out!

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
Land Of The Eshal
« Reply #90 on: October 17, 2004, 07:45:15 AM »
Applause. You have done well.

I like the ritual use of the spear in the hunting of the Cuada, as well as the small letting of blood with the idol of Larfu, as opposed to the near mindless slaughter that the Eshal currently enjoy (having been strongly espoused by the Cuada as a way to vent eelfolk anger)

Now, a small addition, if I may.

The Idol of Larfu

Larfu, the Deep Sea Treader, the slayer in the waves, the hunter of the eternal sea. He is an old god, a god of wood and stone, blood and lust. To gaze upon Larfu is to look upon the predator soul of the Eshal, for his head is that of the great shark, mouth filled with many rows of sharp teeth. From the great muscular body sprout strong limbs, akin to those of the Eshal, and a strong tail to propel the Waveslayer through the depths.

Many never see beyond this terrible visage, and fail to pierce the veil of the idol. The great hunter embodies many things, freedom, grace, and honor. The Eternal Hunter is free of all bonds, and no net, no shackle can hold him. The Waveslayer (We like that name!) is unhindered by the trappings, and snare of the weak, for his grace in the water is the beauty of the predator, and the beauty is thusly pure. Certainly not least, the Deep Sea Stalker is bound by ancient oaths of honor and duty. Unlike many of the other old gods, his honor is unsullied, as he expects his children to be.

Once there were many idols of the Waveslayer. Some were hand carved of driftwood, and coral, by the playful hands of the young wishing to be strong warriors to make Larfu, and their families, and clans proud. Others were more elaborate, some carved of sterner stone, or carefully grown reefs encouraged and pruned over the generations into the totemic shape of the great shark god. All of these coral topiaries were destroyed by the Cuada during the establishment of the Empire.

Now, the shrines again are being restored, and new hands are seeking to find the spirit of the great hunter within.

Offline Maggot

• King
    • Awards
Land Of The Eshal
« Reply #91 on: October 17, 2004, 09:14:06 AM »
Scrasasamax,your moving description of Larfu in all his terrible and awesome beauty, is most welcome.Larfu as you potrayed him,embodies the Eshal as they once were,brave,free and unsullied by the taint of mass,meaningless sacrifces.

I think I will something called the legend of Larfu in another post. He is like the Feathered Serpent of Aztec mythology,unfairly banished by his wicked,scheming brethen and awaiting the day of his glorious return.

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Cheka Man

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Land Of The Eshal
« Reply #92 on: October 17, 2004, 02:19:55 PM »
I really like the way everything is going, and the inner stresses within Eashal society. :D

Offline Maggot

• King
    • Awards
The Legend Of Larfu
« Reply #93 on: October 18, 2004, 04:49:27 AM »
The Legend Of Larfu is an old legend that forms a very important part of the Botherhood's beliefs and revolves around the theme that The Wave Slayer will one day return to redeem the Brave People.

When the tribes of The Brave People were united by the mysterious strangers called the Cuada that came from a distant land over the face of the sea godess Vaet,the gods watched with curiosity and marvel.

Who are these strange beings that command our children,the Brave Ones so,was the question they asked themselves.They had never seen anything like  these odd,short statured,almost comical looking beings that had come from across Vaet's endless wates of water and they had seen plenty ever since the Old One had sprung from the womb of Vaet and and had then vomited forth all life,including them.After much disscussion as to who these strange beings were,they agreed to send Quilta the god of fish and the youngest of their phanteon,to investigate the agenda of these visitors.Taking the form of a mosquito,he descended to the great camp where the Cuada leader Toltep was holding a council with the leaders of the  various Clans.He watched and listened,as Toltep promised the Brave People victory and glory against their enemies.

When he returned he ws ecstatic.''Oh,my brothers and sisters,I am conviced that these strangers are beings  are the children of mother Mother Vaet,sent by her to lead our children to victory against the pagans and barbarians that refuse to worship us!"'.At this there was much rejoicing and the gods praised Divine Vaet for sending her children to aid the Brave People and their gods in the struggle aginst their foes.But only one of them remained unmoved.He was Larfu,the Wave slayer,the Eternal Hunter,the one that never trusted what he was not sure of.He spent most of his time in Lady Vaet's embrace and she had said nothing about sending her children to aid the gods and the Brave People.

''Oh,my siblings,I fear this is some clever hoax to decieve us.Divine Vaet
told me nothing about these strange beings and that is odd,for I who stalk her depths,am very close to her.I fear this a trap for our children the Brave People,much the same way the angler fish lures it's prey to it,with the it's alluring little lamp.They swim toward the light,expecting food,only to find betrayal and death.Such is the way a skillful hunter entraps it's prey and I have no wish to see our beloved children,The Brave People,enmeshed in such a trap.''At this,the other gods lost their temper.

''You primitive fool,skulking in the depths of the divine Vaet,does not elevate you above her!
How dare you presume to know better than her or the rest of use!'',roared Worta,the brutal,hot headed God of War.''For  being so impudent as to doubt the Divine Vaet,you have shown yourself to be unworthy of being one us! You must die!''  

The other outraged gods  begun to take up this cry.With a scream of rage,Worta charged at Larfu with his Drah Of Smiting. But the sleek Wave Slayer was much quicker on his feet than the burly God Of War,and jumped out of his way with ease.He then grabbed Worta's  striking arm and snapped it off.As Wrota collapsed to the ground,clutching the bloody stump of his ripped off arm,the other gods,determined to avenge the loss of Worta's arm,rushed upon Larfu and ripped him to bloody bits.

His mutilated remains were then thrown into a lagoon for the sharks inhabiting it,to feed on.But the sharks did not devour them.Instead,they guarded them from other scavengers.The reason for this was that their master,the ancient spirit inhabiting the lake who was known as Poqua,or the Lady Of The Lake,had recognized the remains that the gods of water had thrown into the lagoon,as being those Of Larfu,The Eternal Hunter.He had often hunted along her sharks and she had watched him from afar,admiring his skill and determination.Now upon seeing his scattered remains,she gathered them together and made them whole once morerestored life to The Eternal Hunter.She realized however,that it would be best to keep his resuraction a secret from the other gods.With this in mind,she cast a powerful enchantment on him that would keep him in a deep slumber for eons.She then steeled herslf to take him away to the one place where he would be safe from his foolish and and vain brethen.

Turning herself and the prone form of Laru into tiny mud skippers,she forced her way through to the very core of Tarrod,where the mother of everything,The Old One slumbered.Turning Larfu back into himself,she carefully laid him next to the vast form of the Old One.Then she departed,confident in the knowledge that the other gods would never venture here for fear of awakening their divine progenitor who not take kindly to such an intrusion on her slumber.

There he still lies,awaiting the day of his return,when he will appear as  the dread Tuwasa and slaughter the imposters known as the Cuada and the arrogant Gods Of Water.

(I changed it quite a bit.)

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Maggot

• King
    • Awards
Land Of The Eshal
« Reply #94 on: October 19, 2004, 03:40:29 AM »
This is my second attempt at creating a story worthy of a myth.My first one was a little clumsy and I hope this one turns out to be better.Tell me what you think and any imporovements you think I should add.I'll be working on the artifacts of Tawichi next.

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Maggot

• King
    • Awards
The Artifacts
« Reply #95 on: October 19, 2004, 11:11:53 PM »
Following the unifacation of the old Clans and their truimph over the infidel merfolk,they decided to erect a vast temple complex to thank the gods for the victory they had given their children the Brave People.This,all the lders of the Clans agreed,could only be done at the bottom of the sacred lake Laguda.It was believed in Eshal traditions,that below the bottom of the lake lay the sbode of the mother of the gods and everything else, the Old Ones.There she lies in her eternal sleep,waking only when she has reached the end of her long cycle and must be rejuvenated by the blood of the gods themselves.

While erecting there what would later be known as Tawichi,the Eshal stumbled upon myserious and ancient artifacts that mystified them.Convinced that these were the creations of the gods themsleves,they
wondered if unearthing them from the place where they had been burried would provoke the wrath of the gods who would not have wanted their tools of power to be tampered with by mere mortals.The Cuada who were much fascinated by these relics,convinced them otherwise,saying that the tools were proabaly meant to be passed own to the chosen of the gods,the Brave People and thus could be used by them.With the instructions of the First Born of course.

The Cuada soon realized that these artifacts were arcane tools of great power.Some of them if unleashed,could have destroyed most of Tarrod.The Cuada for their part,are sure that these tools were created by a long vanished race that must have had great power beyond imagination.But as to who these people were or why they vanished,no answers can be found.

The artifacts  and plints.All of them range in size from small,shiny spheres and cylinders to giant,crytal spires and vast star or triangle shaped constructs that seem to be made of some kind of spongy material.The small artifacts were actualy attached to the various large structures,but were found to be detachable,when examined.The large,immovable artifacts are guarded by warriors while the smaller ones are in the custody of the Emperor and the Cuada mystics who serve him.

What both the Eshal and Cuada don't realize,is that these artifacts power the bio-mechanical anchors that keep Tarrod in place.The submerged continent is actualy an artificial thing that was created by those same beings.If the artifacts are ever destroyed or removed from the continent,Tarrod will break up into a chain of boyuant islands that will go wherever the waves of the Vaet take it.The consequences of this would be great

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Maggot

• King
    • Awards
Land Of The Eshal
« Reply #96 on: October 19, 2004, 11:15:08 PM »
So,what do you think Scras?

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
Land Of The Eshal
« Reply #97 on: October 20, 2004, 01:35:18 AM »
Awesome work with the dismemberment and ressurection of Larfu, and the apocalyptic prophecy of his eventual return to destroy the Cuada. Nicely done. As for the artifacts, they feel blank to me. Are they small mundane looking things, swords and bowls and other such, or are they things such as great rings of standing stones, or living constructs of crystal and bioshaped plant matter? They feel large to me, like great constructs of steel and stone, immune to the effects of water and time.

Perhaps a tidal machine that if powered up with enough magic would 'raise' Tarrod out of the Vaet, and return it to a normal continent. Or, perhaps it is the machinery that keeps Tarrod flooded, and damaging it could either completely sink some areas, raise others, and such as that.

Keep up the good work.

Offline Maggot

• King
    • Awards
Land Of The Eshal
« Reply #98 on: October 20, 2004, 03:42:59 AM »
Thanks,Scras.The resuraction and death of Larfu,was inspired by the myth of Osiris.And as for the artifacts,I have edited the post on them and have added general descriptions,as well as the purpose of the artifacts.I think you'll like it.

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
Land Of The Eshal
« Reply #99 on: October 20, 2004, 03:13:11 PM »
Very interesting. It makes the concept of a flooded continent viable, with it being synthetic. Perhaps there can be more information of these pregenitors elsewhere, perhaps in half sunken ruins and such, nothing like bodies, but relic weapons of exceptional make that inspired the modern eshal arsenal, and odder weapons that the brave people cannot manipulate or use.