llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Recon Patrol  (Read 4284 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Sentinel

• Master
    • Awards
Recon Patrol
« on: August 31, 2004, 06:03:16 PM »
The Wood Elf realm was being threatened and the ranger, being patriotic jumped to fight for them. He was assigned in low rank and put incharge of a unit. He trained them all to be expert rangers and to fight silently. They now walked through the forests, croached, armed to the teeth. They had been traveling for hours, meeting no one on their journey, 15 numbered. They had been fighting the dwarves for years now, and each ranger a veteren, but the Ranger Lord who led them was an enigma in the lands and to challenge him was arrogant or foolih.
Evil Is A Faceless Stranger,
Living In A Distant Neighborhood
Evil Has A Wholesome, Hometown Face
With Merry Eyes And An Open Smile
Evil Walks Among Us, Wearing A Mask
Which Looks Like All Our Faces

Offline ~Fletch~

• Adept
    • http://www.geocities.com/sweet_as_a_nightmare/index.html
    • Awards
Recon Patrol
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2004, 11:09:37 PM »
(Is this okay?)

A horses footfalls became increasingly louder as mount and rider reduced the distance between them. The trees hid most from view until a small break in the tangling bushes allowed them to be seen. The horse was a tall noble grey and it's rider female with sharply pointed ears and emerald green eyes. Her cloak's hood had fallen back with the pace of their ride and her lack of concern let it stay where it had fallen.

Some sixth sense seemed to govern her next movement as she guided her horse around a particuarly dense clump of trees and undergrowth, jumping a fallen log to land directly in their path, the horses nostrils flaring at their scent. The elfess did not appear shaken at their presence but if she was she hid it well. She inspected them openly as if mentally counting them and working out their agenda. Finally she dismounted, walking towards the elf she thought to be the leader. "Greetings ranger" she said in a soft melodic tone. Her hair was raven black and would have hung to her waist had it not been tucked modestly into the neck of her cloak so it would not be disturbed during her ride. "Your tales of strength and successes have been told with great zest in taverns and inns far across this land, but with many exagerations I am sure, for it cannot be that you have slain six dwarves in two strokes could it?" she asked her mischevious nature peeking out from her eyes and teasing tone.

"Ahh but I degress" she said berating herself outwardly. "I come to send message to the elf who has made the borders safe for so many these long years. Word has come to your bretheren that a contingent of dwarves camp but two days from these very forests. He wishes to call for a captains conclave of sorts to discuss the matter...He respects both your abilities and knowledge as a warrior and hopes you will see fit to attend. He even supplied me with a horse to get here in haste. Can I take a message back to my lord? I would rather wait for an answer than go back without one" she said tentatively at the end.

Looking at the ranger lord and his men who looked up to him so genuinely she saw at once the power he wielded. He gave an impression of one who had not known failure and yet had experienced all walks of life. "How should I tell him you respond?" she asked with a soft smile hoping for a positive response.
~I dont go looking for trouble. But with me trouble never waits for the asking, it nearly alwasy gallops halfway to meet me~

Offline Sentinel

• Master
    • Awards
Recon Patrol
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2004, 04:52:32 PM »
The ranger was silent for a very, very long time, his sharp green eyes bearing down into her soul as if she was transparent, as if he could see all her secrets with but one glance, he motioned with two fingers for his rangers to lower their bows at the women and he continued looking at her, as if she was an interesting specimen, but rarely was he amused by such things as a women, like all other males, he found no need for a women's warmth, rather he was a killer and he loved the heat of battle, in his prime.

True he was famous, maybe even infamous, but he had never set no ambitous goals for himself, he had just did what he had to do to survive, meaning he cared for no one save himself, his survival was all that mattered. When he finally did speak, his voice was in common tongue, but had the elvish accent and sounds like a razor edge making his men flinch, he was no bard, but he had the skills of one.

"I see. I will be coming with you then."

Offline ~Fletch~

• Adept
    • Awards
Recon Patrol
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2004, 01:33:07 AM »
The woman gave a soft smile and dipped her head, thrwoing he reins over the horses head so she could lead it. "You govern a small but deadly contingent so it seems" she remarked looking at the small group of archers behind him. His glance was uncannily clear and invasive, she had to use all of her determination not to look away. Her horse snuffled her mouthed her shoulder and she swatted it away softly.

"I know of your title by reputation, but I do not know your name...would it please you to trade names m'lord?" she inquired trying to make conversation already knowing he would most likely be unfussed with such trivial matters. "I am Lira Tarjanian, soldier and occasional messenger". She grazed his face with her eyes before turning them away watching their deliberate footfalls in the loamy forest earth. "My lord will be pleased you have agreed to come". She said idley once again trying to break the stony silence.
~I dont go looking for trouble. But with me trouble never waits for the asking, it nearly alwasy gallops halfway to meet me~

Offline Sentinel

• Master
    • Awards
Recon Patrol
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2004, 01:38:50 AM »
He was silent for a very long time, but did not mind the talking she did, she was doing for him, if no one talked there had to be someone who talked. He looked at her and nodded.
"My name?"
What was his real name, he didn't know himself which presented a problem, but what people called him would be enough for her.
"Sentinel is what people call me."

Offline ~Fletch~

• Adept
    • Awards
Recon Patrol
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2004, 01:58:47 AM »
She did not question his strange method of answering her but nodded, repeating the name under her breath. Her face lit into a smile as she said, "It is an appropriate name". Her horse had let it's head fall and had begun to tug at the grass eating it slowly and deliberately. She chided him once before turning back to Sentiniel as she now thought of him.

"How long have you been patrolling? It seems a long while for you dont even need to say a word for your men to know what you mean" she said turning to look at them with a smile. The elfess looked ahead, squinting slightly in the sun that was beginning to sit lower in the sky. She had been asked to lead them to their destination if Sentiniel would allow it. She was unsure how long it woudl take, for their numbers would normally slow them down consierably, but his men were quick and responsive and did not tire like many who would already be complainging dispite their training.

Offline Sentinel

• Master
    • Awards
Recon Patrol
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2004, 02:13:06 AM »
He nodded to his men to disappear, they didn't actually but they went into the shadows to stay hidden, on their word they would kill the women if she led them to a trap, he said it in his eyes as he locked his with hers, he was not a person to fool with. He though saw no secret intention in her eyes and he looked forward of them, seeing as to what to say and how to say it when they got to their destination.
"Two years."
He said, not long for him, the pay had been good and the battles spectacular, although his own mercenary group would be at camp and most likely no trying to catch up to them.

Offline ~Fletch~

• Adept
    • Awards
Recon Patrol
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2004, 09:10:37 PM »
Lira caught his thoughts and she shook her head slighlty at the mistrust that all seemed to display in the times they lived in, though perhaps well founded mistrust in some cases. She was loyal and her heart was not tainted with any dark brush that could marr her good intentions. She gave a shrug to herself and continued walking noting the slipping of his men into the shadows of the forest so they seemed as if non existant. Though no doubt thye hovered around them at every step.

When he told her how long they had been patrolling she was hard put not to let her mouth gape. She has heard of long ventures and some lasting up to a year but within that year they would have two weeks of rest. By the sound of him rest had not been an option. His voice was gruff and almost icy yet it had a certain tone to it that was not totally unpleasant. She mulled the time over in her head some more, "I think the last time anyone spent as long as that without break was during the last war...I was too young to fight in it and that is saying alot for I am no youth". She gave a light laugh though when she turned to him he seemed unmoved by her pleasantries she tried to trade with him.

"You must either be very dedicated...or have a big score to settle" she said more to herself than him. "Did you choose this solitary life? I see you surrounded by your men but you appear aloof even form them...but then it is none of my buisness to comment. I am alwways being condemned for the freedom I take with my words, I apologise if i caused any offense" she said as an afterthought.

Her horse was now walking without any problems and she almost wished he would misbehave so she could divert her attention from this cold and quiet elf who strode resolutely beside her.

Offline Sentinel

• Master
    • Awards
Recon Patrol
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2004, 09:16:29 PM »
He looked at her, a talkative person, he had known a few, they did not last long in a patrol. He shurgged and nodded.
"I was trained at Anawaith, we do not need rest, we are trained to stay alive and I have simply done that. My men, know I care nothing for their lives and would use them to win a victory so they fear me, but they do respect me."
He shrugged again, he never tried to make his men love him and suck up, and he couldn't help that he was cold, he just did what he had to do to survive, and he might be ruthless, but if he survived doing what he needed to do then anyone could call him what they wanted

Offline ~Fletch~

• Adept
    • Awards
Recon Patrol
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2004, 09:21:39 PM »
"I am sure it must benefit your position that you are so" she complimented him. "Obviously it must for you are long surviving and tales of your might have travelled far, I would not be one to cross you unless I was prepared to die...". She said this recalling a suspiscious look he had given her earlier. She knew his words were cold and harsh but she did not know him, and who knew if he was every bit what he said.

"We should reach the midway camp by sundown". As of yet it was several sturdy hours away and that was by horse.

Offline Sentinel

• Master
    • Awards
Recon Patrol
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2004, 09:26:05 PM »
He nodded and sighed and suddenly his personality changed.
"The long road never changes, mysterious, and dark, you walk it ignorant maybe for the rest of your life, blissful, but no one sees what's beyond the veil."
He said and he changed back to normal.
"I benefit with some things, but there is bad things too. I have already tried to be killed ten times, none of succeeded."
He looked at her, she was thought too much of him, he didn't always win a battle. And when he lost he was ready to die, but they kept him alive, he always learned of his mistakes.
"You are too overconfident of my skills."

Offline ~Fletch~

• Adept
    • Awards
Recon Patrol
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2004, 09:37:10 PM »
"Would you have me think you were a failure? I do not think you always win your fights...but you live still and that in some of these conditions is in itself and accomplishment. I have no doubt you would lay down your life to protect this land, and you are not alone in that decision for I myself would do so if situations asked it of me...I am not overconfident in your skills, but better I compliment you than insult you and feel the wrath of both your anger and also earn the suspiscion you granted me only moments before" she said this last part with a teasing note though the condemnation of this was evident in her emerald eyes.

She had noted his brief yet sincere change of character and she could still hear what he had said. She had an inclination at first ot ask him if he did, if he did see beyond the veil. But both wisdom and also courtesy told her to leave it for the time being.

Offline Sentinel

• Master
    • Awards
Recon Patrol
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2004, 09:43:08 PM »
He smiled slightly, interesting. This women was intelligent, or she acted as if she was good. Too many people stupid in this world and few people were smart enough to survive, this girl, if she had went to the Guild of Anawaith would of made an excellant ranger and it was a person who Sentinel guarding his back.
"I wouldn't lay my life down to save it, but I would fight long and hard to see it protected."
He had misunderstood what she had said, a maybe bad flaw he had made.
"Well, fine with me."
Words meant nothing to him, rather actions were more important

Offline ~Fletch~

• Adept
    • Awards
Recon Patrol
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2004, 02:28:11 AM »
She laughed as he smiled, brief and noncommital as it may have been but it was somethng other than the stoney expression he had otherwise been so fond of expressing. She arched her back and craned her neck in relaxation as they walked, swinging her arms to loosen them. The horse ride had made her muscles more tight than usual, something she disliked.

Somewhere between sunset and total darkness they reached the mid way camp. It was small but proved to bve efficient and relatively comfortable. There were several clay coloured tents propped up with stakes and a rope between two trees served as a tie post and several horses were tied to it, luxuriously eating the grass and sucking noisily at water from the trough.

"This is the camo I spoke of earlier" Lira said pointing out the obvious. "Your men can rest here if...you will permit it" she said after a pause, she ahd almsot said, "If they would like" , what a grevious error it would have been on her part. There are sentries surrounding this point in all directions and easy communication between them" she said once again pointing out what would have been easy knowledge to even a fairly new recruit. "You as the leader may have the tent if you wish it so" she said indicating to her right, your mencan stay wherever they please so long as they do not hinder others parties movements". She pointed to another tent. "That is the infirmary of sorts, we set off to the barracks proper at dawn, so you and your men must be ready to travel, of which I can see no doubts you will be. Supper is there now, bread and dried meats...no point living like kings out here" she said with a smile. "Apart from that I think I have bored holes in your ears with all my talking, so If it would please you I shall leave?" She asked this as a question, unwillingt o leave him if he preferred she stay.

Offline Sentinel

• Master
    • Awards
Recon Patrol
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2004, 04:18:30 PM »
He waved her last comment away, looking around as he said so.
"We have already eaten today so need to feed, and you may have my tent, me and my men sleep on the ground."
He nodded and looked off, the sentries would be no problem, and his men knew to stay concealed even from the watchful eyes of the sentries

Offline ~Fletch~

• Adept
    • Awards
Recon Patrol
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2004, 10:00:40 PM »
Lira shrugged and disregarded the need to point out she already had a tent, knowing he would not sleep in it even if it were to remain empty. Instead she told some of the scouts they could have it if it would please them.

She sat down on a log beside the fire, carving at a peice of young yew. She was intending to make a bow out of it. Every day she got closer to her goal though she knew it would in now way be as good as the one she carried. She looked over to Sentinel without saying anything watching him with his men who were slowly infiltrating into the forest, no doubt on his command. Trust was few these days.

Offline Sentinel

• Master
    • Awards
Recon Patrol
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2004, 10:02:41 PM »
Sentinel gave orderes to his men to make a clearing and to kill anyone approaching if it was not him, they would do so heedlessly. He walked over to Lira and sat down across from her.
"That will be a fine bow when you are finished."
He smiled and nodded looking into the fire

Offline ~Fletch~

• Adept
    • Awards
Recon Patrol
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2004, 11:23:49 PM »
"Not so fine as the one I already carry" She said without delay as she continued whittling the end peices into intricate curling leaves. "My brother-in-law made it" she said indicating the bow that was strung across her back.

She put her knife away and wrapped the still unfinished bow in a peice of oilcloth and stashing it beside her feet on the ground looked to Sentinel with what was becoming a rapidly familiar smile. "But thank you for saying so". She poked at the fire with a long stick dislodging embers that tinkled merrily over their brothers sounding like some kind of wind chime.

The stars overhead were shiningbrightly now and the moon hung slihglty behind some clouds as if shy, it's glow still evident to those below. The night was filled with a melody of sounds, night birds and surries accompanied predator and prey in the pursuit for life.

Offline Sentinel

• Master
    • Awards
Recon Patrol
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2004, 07:02:49 PM »
He closed his eyes and heard of the sound of the forest, of the earth, long had he listened to it and few knew of what the air, earth, and trees said, for few knew the language except maybe the rangers.

Offline ~Fletch~

• Adept
    • Awards
Recon Patrol
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2004, 11:00:14 PM »
Lira looked at Sentinel's face but like others she found his thoughts harder to read. Sometimes the gleam in someones eye or the slight quiver of a face muscle might alert her somewhat but he was totally unreadable. This sudden realisation set her at unease though she knew her lord had placed his hopes in him and so she too would have to trust in his decision and do the same.

Several men of higher importance went to their clay coloured tents, drawing the flaps down so the wind was reduced. The fire was burning low and every now and then Lira would add a small faggot of wood to it to sustain it, not wanting it to get too big lest it invited many unwanted creatures and people to their campsite whch although well thoughtout still lacked immediate cover.  

She looked over to Sentinel once again, hardly anything had passed between them for little over two hours. "Will you stay awake all night?" she inquired of him. "for you have been travelling for over two years and now you have the chance to truly rest, will you not take it?". She fidgeted with a small silver bracelet on her right wrist, rolling round and round on her wrist.

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10 Elite Systems Guild
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
Recon Patrol
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2004, 02:06:14 AM »
Toba rested lightly on the bed of the stream, more than one of the pointy eared warriors had come close to him, but none had seen him, mere feet beneath the water. It had been six months since he had successfully crossed the great ocean, and navigated his way up the river to this very spot. Most of the trip was uneventful, there was much free territory here, the rivers, and lakes were empty of sentient life. Those that did have life were primitive merfolk and the like. Those who had not perished, had told him everything they knew.

As far as he knew, he was the first cuada to swim in these waters, the first to encounter the stout hairy ones, and the woodland dwellers. It was fine, the empire would grow, and the drylanders would realize their innate inferiority to the cuada and their imperial subjects.

The baleful sun finally set, he rose nearer to the surface of the water. The drying heat was gone and it would be safe, relatively, to venture forth from the water. Previous encounters with the pointy-ears, elves they were called, had taught him they were more observant than he had previously thought. Even from this distance, he could feel their thoughts, ephemeral things, but advanced and structured. A far cry from the fractal mess of the Anura or the near painful static of the lurdi.

Most all were male, one female. Another had a mind like ice, hard and deeply structured. That one would be impossible to influence. The female likewise would be hard if not impossible to control. The others could offer some resistance, but it would be simply a matter of time to crush their primitive will to his own.

One of the elves saw him. It was sometimes a pain to be brilliant red with white stripes running from his wide mouth to his eyes, and down his back. The rest of his body carried similar vivid red coloration with white stripes, and his belly, unseen, was a pale yellow in color. The elf froze, his drylander eyes caught in the mesmeric gaze of the salamander.

'Make no sound,' Toba commanded silently. The elf struggled against the compulsion, to raise the alarm that their was an observer in the stream. 'Return to your place, speak not of seeing me. If asked, you saw a fish, nothing more. Do not remember seeing me.' The elf blinked once, then a twice and walked away from the stream. The sight of the vivid red monster in the water already less than the memory of a dream.

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Sentinel

• Master
    • Awards
Recon Patrol
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2004, 03:54:36 PM »
Sentinel shook his head, he would not rest, not untill the war was over, he would not cease untill he had won his victory, willful in his own accord he would do anything to reach his goal and he had been paid good money by the Wood Elf Realm as to do so, his loyalties may had been sold to people, but he still held loyalty to himself.
"I will not."

Offline ~Fletch~

• Adept
    • Awards
Recon Patrol
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2004, 09:28:58 AM »
Lira shifted uncomfortably, the silence becoming deafinging in it's increasing frequency and duration. She stood a little awkwardly and gave a small respectful bow, "Well, then I wish you a good evening, both uneventful and quick...I will go speak to the commanding officer of this small group and then myself retire to bed. She stooped pciking up the unfinished bow in it's safe holding of an oiled cloth and strolled in a dignified manner across the clearing, dissapearing into a largeish clay tent near it's borders where silouhettes played across it's surface as the people inside blocked the oil lanterns glow inside it.

The officer sat on a small roll of blankets perring intensly down at a map his brow furrowed and one hand entiwined in the hair near his right ear as if in great concentration or was it pain? She wondered inwardly and would normally have laughed, though she feared upsetting his concetration as this moment. Another man sat nearby skillfully tracing their surroundings onto a similar peice of paper to the one the officer was reading. He was one of their cartographers she realised. She stood near the tents entrance awaiting his greeting which seemed a long time in coming. "Good evening Lira Tarjanian" he said in a gruff voice. "Same to you m'lord" she answered politely realising he had not of yet looked up from his parchment. Finally he set it aside, giving it back to the cartographer who gaped at the mess he had jotted on his newly made map.

"I see you have brought the Lord Ranger Sentinel to us?", "Indeed" she asnwered. "Yet you did not come immediately to my tent to tell me?" he said looking at her intently. "NO m'lord, I...", "ou decided to try and find out as much of him as possible?" he said cutting her off. She gave a small laugh her cheeks reddening, "Yes" she answered. "And what did you find?", "Nothing" she answered honestly. "He is very quiet, and does not feel the need to fill the silences that most would, I myself included...He is of a strong exterior and I pity the enemy who challenges him". The officer nodded. "Our lord shall be pleased he has accepted the invitation to come to the conclave". She nodded answering, "Yes, he was unsure whether he would agree". The officer nodded. "Well, you had best go and sleep before we continue tomorrow". She gave a weak nod as she replied, "I had intended to". He gave her a curious look but then nodded, "Night Lira". "Night Officer". She said giving a wave to the cartographer who had remained silent.

She went outside of the tent and walked ot her own which lay opposite it. It was cold and dark inside it. She rolled herself up in a blanket and lay down on the stretcher like bed which was all anyone could have, if that, for it was easily transportable. She soon fell asleep, used to the task of making sleep come quick. She had forgotten to roll the tent flaps down but she did not worry and the night was not cool enough to warrent her getting up again, or so she reasoned it before falling deep into slumber.

Offline Sentinel

• Master
    • Awards
Recon Patrol
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2004, 03:34:43 PM »
Sentinel stayed silent throughout it all, hearing the conversation easily as he hung from a tree suspended above the tent. He smirked as he heard of himself be called a lord. Indeed, maybe it was true. He climbed out of the tree and went back over to the fire looking into it thoughtfully.

Offline ~Fletch~

• Adept
    • Awards
Recon Patrol
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2004, 10:13:54 PM »
Lira woke early. The officer was barking commands at his men with little heed for quiet. The night had remained uneventful and everyone was in a fairly good mood, except for himself or so it seemed. The horses breaths sent what looked like steam into the frosty mornign air and they champed at their bonds in an irritated fashion. Lira was soon packed and ready to go the officer saluting her a greeting with a casual wave. She waved back and looked around for Sentinel. Unable to see him in the throng of crowds she decided to venture down to the river and wash her face to wake herself up more properly.

She stepped into the forests and in a confident manner made her way to the river with carefree abandon. She let her hads touch the trees bark as she walked and felt the sun beginning to lifet the mist that clung in the air, though more slowly through the trees in a green filter. When she reached it she took the pack form her back and stooped down cupping the cold water in her hands bringing it to her face, a process she repeated several times. It was deliciously cool and woke her up just as she had wanted. She went to turn back up the path she had taken to it's edge but heard a slight rustling and water breaking across something foreign, for it was an unusual sound and even she who did not live by the river knew rivers have a pattern of sounds. She scoured the rivers surface feeling for the heft of her blade at her waist should she need it.