llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Splanaketun  (Read 1331 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Czernobog

• Apprentice
    • Awards
Splanaketun
« on: August 31, 2004, 03:37:01 PM »
Splaneketun is a city-planet. A thousand years ago there were the major metropolitan centers and they grew with time until, the whole globe became one vast city-state. The culture is techno-archaic. Imagine the roman society flourishing well into the 21st century. The majority of Splanaketun practice a conglomorated paganism with innumerable deities. Some are millenia old, some were conceived last week. There are isolated seperatist sects. The countries that existed before the pan-urbanization are now districts. There is no official language but there is a common tongue which is a hodgepodge of thousands of dialects.
    Since the entire planet is considered one city-state,under a parliamentary government only partially recognized, war in any instance is a civil war. The denizens of different districts, while all are citizens of the whole city, have no group identity. In place of the term nationalism there is districtism. The quality of life range is sweeping. Some rely on livestock and bartering, while others life in "dangler suites". Ultra luxuroius flats suspended hundreds of feet in the air by wires. They are acessible by broad catwalks themselves suspended from an overhead grid. This is the gentrified "Upper layer" of the city-world.
  The overcrowding is insane and the higher up you go the less crowded it is. Ground level , as you can imagine, is a purgatory of squalor.
Ive thought up a few districts... but the reason i've posted this is so that other people could help me fill out the city-planet. rmember, these districts could be the size of rhode island, or the size of russia. here are a few:

district of Batrachia(akaFrogville):
Called so for the state amphibian farms where animals are grown as part of a welfare program to feed the impoverished. The poor dine on frogs and salamanders in Splaneketun. The district is embroiled in a war of secession. About half are in favor of breaking away from the City, while the other half are loyalists. The district is surrounded by the city on all four sides;landlocked. The "fire mile" separates the two warring factions, splitting the district, which is about the size of kentucky, roughly in half. The fire mile is a one mile wide, 200 mile long no mans land constantly kept ablaze with fuels and anything that will burn. Border patrolmen live about nine years before succumbing to the black smoke of corpses, scrap plastics and rubber. The fire has been  raging, as long as the conflict, 11 years. Some common seperatist classes include:

Traditionalist "Trad" Mages-basic magic users

Nano-mages: magic users whom employ a "swarm" of nanotech as a conductor of magic energy

Dope mages: usually chemically dependent. employ the practices of "pharmacological mysticism" [OOC]a concept i havent yet thought out fully[/OOC]D-mages can be physically strong, with the right perscription

Bruisers: any of a vast low wage laborer class whom take to the streets wielding homemade weaponry.Basic warrior/fighter. May or may not be political; usually just drunk and angry

Popular Army: The official separatist group. [OOC]They have a Marxist feel about them but i try to keep ideologies vague[/OOC] They are usually poorly armed with outdated riflesand have no regular uniform but are fanatic. what they dont have in military might the more than make up for in brutal guerilla tactics. some are explosives experts, snipers, even suicide bombers. Identifiable by white armbands and four point aluminum stars on their hats(fashioned from beer cans)

NC's(neutral citizens)Defend their property but do ont ask for trouble. They have a shaky truce with the Pop army but hate the vandal bruisers

[OOC]i will post more on this but right now i must leave feel free to elaborate, all..CzBog[/OOC]

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Splanaketun
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004, 05:43:15 PM »
Wow, cool! Let's see some more!
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Czernobog

• Apprentice
    • Awards
More
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2004, 02:56:00 PM »
I left off in the frogville district with sepratist classes. heres some loyalist classes:

The Gold Guard: State Funded "proxy fighters". While poorly trained and decadent, they recieive the finest in weaponry from several State Agencies*

*On Splanketun there are so many state ministries and commitees and sub-commitees, and sub-sub commitees that it has become so decentralized that agencies often have opposing agendas. This leads to the creation of a torrent of Internal Affairs organizations and even more chaos. The bueracracy is so out of control no one knows who is really in charge. Most agencies exist just to check one another.

The gold guard favor big guns that require little to no skill(i.e. just point in the general direction you want to destroy). Most of them are physically out of shape and do not take their rebel counterparts seriously. The Pouplar "White" Army despise the Golds. They take them alive whenever they can. interrogation and torture is a big part of the numerous secession wars plaguing the city. Frogville is just one conflict.
[OOC] I havent drawn up any tables yet but there will probably be character attributes relating to loyaly and pain threshold when being interrogated. obviously fanatical groups will have a plus handicap while lazy state fighters will have a negative handicap. Figuratively speaking this system is still a fetus and i invite people to input as they please[/OOC]

Landlords and factory owners:
These are the contractors the state hires to grow amphibian livestock. Though naturally aligned with the Golds, They resent the fact that they do not take the rebels seriously. This is the bourgeois class the Popular army has deathmarked. Many Pop army were recruited from the squalid factory workforce, where years of subversion from above finally turned the weak unions into guerilla militiae. The Factory owners often hire private armies at exuberant prices to ensure loyalty, since the golds are notoriusly weak under pressure.

The SSL (State Security Legion):
The KGB of Splanketun, they hold jurisdiction over all city offices. An SSL Seargent can give orders to a Gold Guard General. They hold the most coveted state positions on the planet. They are handpicked from only the most cunning and ruthless regular police,prosecutors,  loyalist mercs and gold guards. They do not get their hands dirty fighting the good fight, but often go after rebel high command, sometimes in deep cover. They are the subject of urban myth among Bruisers and seperatists and career criminals.Though few have ver even seen one. For the time being they will be NPC's because of their high status. Players will have to earn being an SSL agent.

neutralCriminal Classes:

Neutrals can be any of the mages and bruisers who are not aligned with either the golds or the white rebels. they are opportunists wwho would rather see both factions slaughter eachother and pick up the scraps for themselves. Some are mere street thugs, but there are crime cartels all over  Splanaketun. I havent really elaborated on this yet but there are bikers, druglords, traditional crime families, maybe even politically neutral fanatic religous sects.

thats it for now
[OOC] i would like to point out that I am very rusty when it comes to gaming so if anyone has suggestions on organizing tables , player stats, etc. please feel free to post. Also, this is a city-palnet and this is only one tiny district. Anyone who wants to add more district settings feel free, im very new at this and i'm just wingin' it..thanks[/OOC]
C-Bog

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Splanaketun
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2004, 08:20:29 PM »
Just leave the stats out for now, Czern.
Will add an idea for a district soon.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist