llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: A perfect home  (Read 1828 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Maggot

• Insectoid Horror Of Canberra
  • Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Society Guild Elite Society Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Locations Guild Questor
    • Awards
A perfect home
« on: July 28, 2004, 09:21:49 AM »
Guys,Im trying to create a land inhabited bya race of fierce, nomadic barbarians that worship demons and offer blood sacrifice.Any ideas on what kind of relam or land would such a people be found in? These barabarians are extremely hardy and rear a certain breed of goat that thrives where other livestock would perish.The land would also have to be scattered with special portals and change circles that shamans use to summon demons and create unnatrual abombinations. Would be very grateful if anyone came up with suggestions on what these people and the land they live,would be like.
“I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak.” -Bill Watterson

Authentic Strolenite®©

Online Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Elite Systems Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Item Guild Elite Plot Guild
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
A perfect home
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 07:02:17 PM »
Since they are nomads they probably wander through many different places.

I don't know about your world but I'd guess they would be hunted if they passed through civilized areas... Demon summoning is usually not appreciated.

These guys remind me of some tribes described in one of David Eddings books though. Those tribes lived on large open plains and hilly terrain. That was far, far to the north. (As I recall).

Your nomads could do the same... Wander the cold, unforgiving northern wastes.

If you posted more info it would be easier to help you out.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
A perfect home
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 08:29:01 PM »
As it is, we really don't have much to work with.
Don't you mean that they dabble in demon worship and offer blood sacrafice?
I'm not really sure how demon summoning has to do with where they would live, unless your world has special conditions required for summoning.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Maggot

• Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Society Guild Elite Society Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Locations Guild Questor
    • Awards
A perfect home
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 12:02:29 AM »
Well,Im thinking of a scenario where a race of primitive nomads has been corrupted by a sinister ice or blizzard elemental into serving it's evil will.Over the years,this powerful being has been come to worshipped by the nomads for the power it posses over stuff like winter and ice.As part of it's plan to make these firece warriors it's loyal army of devotees,it has imparted the dark arts of demon summoning to the shamans.This means the nomads are loathed and shunned, as Ancient gamer suggested.With their armies of berserkes and shaman created ice abombinations,they are terrifying foes to their civilized neighbours  and long for the day that these peoples are crushed by their terrible god.Hope I gave you more material to work with.
“I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak.” -Bill Watterson

Authentic Strolenite®©

Online Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Elite Systems Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Item Guild Elite Plot Guild
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
A perfect home
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 06:01:15 AM »
1. These nomads worship an entitiy related to ice, so the north or snow covered mountains seems like an appropriate home for these people.

2. If they are too strong for their civilized neighbours AND warlike, it would seem logical that they are invading the neighbouring countries and that the neighbours are defeated. Sounds like a warlike setting with constant seiges and epic struggles.

Perhaps your adventurers could be survivors from a conquered duchy or perhaps heroes summoned to defend their village. The campaign could begin when war is just a rumour and far away and climax with characters of high levels defending their home and turning the tables on the enemy.

3. You could let the cold nature of the ice elemental deity be reflected metaphorically in its worshippers. They could be cold hearted, brutal and unforgiving, often butchering entire cities on their crusade against the civilized nations. Only those willing to worship the elemental lord would survive.

4. If they are weaker than their civilized neighbours they would be hunted. They could hide in the mountains and stage ambushes on unsuspecting traders and patrols. They could be the tales mothers told their children to warn them of the dangers of the world.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Online Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
Focusing on the cold
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2004, 08:29:28 PM »
The newborn of the nomads could be albinos ever since the ice elemental got worshipped. Some elders of the tribe would probably be worried but all protestesters would probably never be seen again or simply be sacrificed to the "Ice Lord". In addition the newborns might be able to withstand terrible amounts of cold, but be vulnerable to heat.

The warriors of the nomads might use white, semi translucent, crystals as spearheads and daggers.

If you want more feedback, it would be nice to hear what you have decided about this:
-Their culture
-Their physique
-Their diplomatic status with their neighbours
-Tools, households, weapons, armor, transportation, etc...
-The landscape they inhabit

T'is easier to help if we know more of what you need.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Adel

• King
    • Awards
A perfect home
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 09:49:45 PM »
Maybe they believed that the shamans were born albino blessed by this elemental. All others looked normal.  Perhaps your lead character could be A son born not albino, but with powers for summoning, thinking him a bad omen he is cast out left to die. He is then picked up by some character and is shown how to summon other elementals perhaps fire elementals?
Adel
a simple girl with a complex past

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Maggot

• Strolenati
  • King
    • Awards
A perfect home
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2004, 11:46:27 PM »
Ancient Gamer and Adel,I like your ideas on certain children being born Albino.This ties in nicely with the concept of''children of the ice''who are trained from birth to be shamans.They are said to have  special powers and a bond with the ice lord,and are thus revered even by the chieftains .But as Ancient gamer suggested,not everyone is happy with worshipping the ice.In the larger and more powerful tribes, the dissenters are elders who continue to remember the old gods with great fondness.These old gods are gentle,friendly nature sprits that would manifest themselves in the shape of the tribe's animal totem.However for fear of retribution,they keep silent.It is in the smaller tribes,who were never favoured by the ice,that loyalty to the old nature spries remains strong.However,unwilling to risk war with a stronger tribe,they make a show of worshipping the ice.Now I will describe these people in greater detail.As I said these people are hardy nomads and physical strenght is placed next to courage only,as a virture.Children born deformed or weak are sacrificed to the ice lord,as they are deemed a shame to the tribe.Skill at arms is also greatly valued for these  warlike people.They are not afraid to die in battle,for to do so is to join the divine army of the ice in the next world. 's.Futher more,honour of both the indivual and tribe is important and any slight to either must be avenged.Now I will move on to descibe the way their society is organized.The shaman is the most highly respected member of the tribe,for it is he who earns the favour of the mighty ice,and as such must be consulted by the chieftain on important matters.Besides serving as priets for the ice,the shamans are also the bards who are thought the great epics and poems that make up a tribe's history,by their predecessors.This is very important in a culture with no writing.The songs with the old gods in them however, have been conveniently forgotten, and new ones praising the ice are composed to replace them.Now,As you have probally guessed women occupy a very low position.Their are the propeties of their husbands and fathers,meaning they have no rights at all.A man can have as may wives as he likes,but a woman guilty of adualtery is executed.Now tha Iv'e said all I can about their culture, I'll move onto how they look.These people,except for the highly esteemed albinos,are mostly blond haired and bue eyed.They are a tall people with women no shorter than 6 feet,and their men no shorter than 7 and are stockily built.As for their relations with  their neighbours,they are paid protection money by some kings who wish to have their border duchies and villages left alone by these reivers.Those kings who do not,often find themselves fighting daring raids.But they know that as long as the tribes remain disunited,they can never pose a great threath to their neighbours.(This may change however with,the birth of the Wurang,the chosen one who will build an empire for the tribes,with the blessing of the ice.I will describe him with greater detail in another post soon)Now I will cover the material level attained by their culture.These people live in primitive huts made of wattle and roofed with hide.Due to the great cold,the family living in each hut usuallu shares it with the herd for greater warmth .Most of the men are either sheperds or warriors,with the exception of those who choose to become toolmakers.Born with nimble fingers and great patience,they shape axe ,spear heads and knive blades from a certain white ice crystal known by them as ''Ayut'' or''gift of the ice''.Extremely hard,it is good as iron or steel for making tools.The primary too is the all purpose knife.The two weapons used by warriors are the battle axe and the stabbing spear.Bows are used ony for hunting game,as they are regarded as to kill an enemy from a safe distance is considered shameful.Transport is provided by their tough.stocky horses that have remarkble endurance .Lastly the landscape they inhabit consits mainly of cold,bleakplains where only a certain kind od mossy grass can grow,along with a few stunted bushes.Water   and food is very hard to find.Any armies sent to pursue retreating raiders get hopelessly lost and end up dying of thirst or hunger.or get attacked by the hideous abombinations of the ice.Thus the very land,makes an invasion of their land by a vengeful army,all but immpossible.And Adel,your idea of one who is left to die definitelybears great promise.Perhaps he's the one who helps the heroes oposing the ice,to defeat the ice champion.

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Adel

• King
    • Awards
A perfect home
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2004, 12:32:52 AM »
Thank you! What if there was some kind of prophesy of the "one" who would unite the tribes. This is called your "Wurang" the Icelords await him thinking him to be one of the albino shamans. However the prophesy is vauge and it is the kid who got thrown out that is to unite the tribes this could be the final revalation. He could even possibly go out insearch of this Wurang not realizing that it is himself. Then he instead gets to challenge the elemental itself. As a shaman he should not only have the ability to summon spirit gods (elementals) or lesser demigods(demons) but to fuse with the ones that are willing. Perhaps this is how he maybe not defeats but imprisons the Ice elemental. You could hint through out the entire campaign that the true hero is this kid by reading the prophesy and have little peices fit. > he will bare the mark of fire on his shoulder< and some how or another he gets some kinda mark.  Revealing little hints as to who the real person! who might not be this kid after all will discuss more later when done thinking about it!
Adel
a simple girl with a complex past

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Maggot

• Strolenati
  • King
    • Awards
Setting possible?
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2005, 09:57:01 PM »
Do you guys think I should try to turn this into a setting? It does seem to have potential,old though it is.

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Maggot

• Strolenati
  • King
    • Awards
A perfect home
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2005, 09:27:06 PM »
Your opinion,Captain? Any chance of turning this into a real setting? Would be a shame to throw it into the grave again.

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
A perfect home
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2005, 09:28:09 PM »
Yes, perhaps. If you wish, I'm sure you could bang together something out of this.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Maggot

• Strolenati
  • King
    • Awards
A perfect home
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2005, 09:42:39 PM »
Tommorow,I start work on my new setting!

Authentic Strolenite®©