llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: [Ankalar] The meeting at Rhur Corell  (Read 14761 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Michael Jotne Slayer

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Retreat now? In our moment of triumph?
  • Awards Item Guild Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2011 Dungeon of the Year 2010 NPC of the Year
    • Awards
[Ankalar] The meeting at Rhur Corell
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2004, 06:16:50 PM »
Shara-Gur raised his Marshte with a grim look.

"It is apparent that I will have to end your misery bandit of Kestor.
Your severed head shall be the pride of my Flet."

As the stroke fell a cry was heard.

"Stop, Shara do not behead the man!"

Shara-Gur altered the blow in the last second, but the Marshte was bloody.
A fine circle of blood crowned Tree Viper`s temples where hair and skin had been removed by the razor sharp blade.
An old man had appeared in the outskirts of the dying bonfire, his naked wrinkled body was covered in pagan markings.
He had a long white beard, but no hair was on his tattooed head.

Shara-Gur seemed confused.

"Shirgan-Gar-Dan, I apologize if I have acted wrongly. But I thought that this meeting was to be taken care of?"

The old man laughed, his eyes seemed like black pits with a fire deep within.

"Yes indeed, so was the deal. But I have just talked with The Raven, and
he said that these people are to be left alone."

There was a great deal of mumbling and loud protests among the Moriandar then. Shara-Gur spoke.

"But master, these outsiders can not wander freely in our wery heart.
If they disturb the Tal..."

"Silence fool! The Raven has spoken, they may do as they please."

With those words the wild men retreated into the forest, only Shara-Gur halted and gave the party a concerned look before he too disappeared.

Aki hurried towards Tree Viper and cut him down with his hunting knife.

"Quick, we have too stop this bleeding. Is anyone here learned in the medical skill? Aaron, you are a priest..."
Authentic Strolenite™©®

A skeleton walks into a bar and ask the Bartender: “Do you serve skeletons here?”

Times being what they are the wily Bartender replies: “sure, we serve anyone.”

The skeleton hands the man a silver and says: “Fine, I’ll have a pitcher of beer…and a mop”

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Item Guild Golden Creator Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 2011 Dungeon of the Year 2010 NPC of the Year
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2004, 07:36:49 PM »
Chapter 2

The towers of Corell

In another part of the Corell forest stands three mighty towers, like giants
of old. The teeth of the trees. A single light can bee seen in one of the
top windows. A sick eye in the dark watching the the roof of the forest.

The tall one shook his head.

"Hypnosis is not understood by many civilized people. In fact it was only
in 365 that the Priests of Adonar recognised it as an ethical form of treatment and even now very few of them know anything about it."

He felt agreeably relaxed and was amused by the hooded man`s persistence.

"Tell me more. Must you have "the gift" or can anyone do it?

"Hypnosis" said the hooded man slowly, "is difficult to define. But one can say that it is a condition of narrowed attention to the world with resulting decrease or absence of visual, auditory, taste and pain reception"

"And how can you produce this?"

"Take the church, for example," said the hooded man. "Think of the dark interior, the sombre music, the fixation point at which everyone looks,
say Aldonar`s holy symbol, and then consider the repetitive chant, the silence, the repetitive chant... the deep... dark... silence which you can feel.
The smell of incense, but above all the deep... deep repetitive chant."

He changed the tone of his voice, the tall man felt his breath brush his face.
The hooded figure held him with his stare, he could barely make out the one shining eye under the black hood.

"Noises like like that, repetitious, deep throated and mellow. All these combined with the darkness and that fixed point which is the symbol of God
or a priest`s mitre conditions people to be unaware of the world around them. So they forget problems at home. They forget their love affairs and they forget their sins. They forget... they forget... forget their abnormalities. Their world becomes reduced in size and every sense is diminished." He laughed. "All that conditions toward hypnosis."

"But what produces it?" The tall man felt sleepy. He had never used Condir before and decided he would cut it in the future. The stuff had a rotten hangover. He was half asleep. And it was in the middle of the night.
He liked the sound of the hooded man`s voice. Mellow and rich.
And the fellow seemed to know what he was talking about.

The hooded man looked at him cynically. "Various moods further improve
the chances of successful hypnosis. For example fear, or self-consciousness or indeed any form of tension makes the subject more susceptible."

"Then that rules me out," the tall man sounded comfortably smug.
I do not possess a solitary nerve in my whole d**ned body. How do you classify levels? How do you calculate the depht of a hypnotic trance?"

the hooded man lifted his arm to the side.

"A normal man in the peak of condition might be able to hold that arm outstretched for six or seven minutes. But for much of the time his arm
would be trembling and it would be a visible effort. Now under hypnosis he would he would be able to hold it in position for the same length of time but he would do so easily, without tremor and without evidence of strain.
Or, again, one could persuade a subject that he was unable to rise from a chair or was unable to see another person in the same room. In other words one could narrow the depth of his visual and physical powers. And this sort of thing is the first level of hypnosis."

"So let us have the second then" The tall man shivered, what if this
man had put a spell on him? How would he know? He poured his third glass of Condir liqour.

"One can take a subject from that first level to the second level by persuading him, for example, that he is a child again. One can ask him to write as he did when he was a child. Or one can demonstrate various nerve reflexes which are found only in childhood, but yet which will reappear in the hypnotised subject who had been suggested back to childhood. And to continue, one can persuade the subject that he does not feel pain... and can prove to onlookers that he does not in real fact, respond to pain stimuli at all. or by contrast he can be made to react as though a glass of cold water pouring over him was scolding hot. And indeed his skin could become red as though it had been burned. Or again one could make the subject attack a friend of his and attempt to kill him..."

"And that would be your third level?"

The hooded man nodded. "I can make them do anything."

The tall man went to the window, a white silver fog lay over the tree tops.
The air was moist and hot. He wondered how this would turn out.
Somewhere out there were the party, given a mission that would probably lead them into certain death, pain and darkness. He turned to the dark figure sitting by the fire place. He seemed almost like a statue of black obsidian when he did not move.

"So the word have been given? The Moriandar will leave our "servants"
alone?"

The hooded man stirred.

"Yes indeed old one, the message has been given. And if things go ill we can always depend upon my subject which is among them right now."

An owl flew towards the moon disturbed by the laughter from the window.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

A skeleton walks into a bar and ask the Bartender: “Do you serve skeletons here?”

The skeleton hands the man a silver and says: “Fine, I’ll have a pitcher of beer…and a mop”

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10 Elite Systems Guild Elite Questor
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2004, 09:59:57 AM »
Greyson sheathed the falchion as Tree Viper was cut down. The wound on his scalp looked horrible, but he had seen such before. There were some bandits who would cut a person's scalp from their skull, and carry it as a trophy. A few survived being so maimed, but they carried the scars of twisted flesh, bare and pale, to their graves.

He opened his traveling pack, and began pulling things out of it. Several skins of water, a thin bedroll, a small shovel, and hatchet, a makeshift pot for boiling, and a few other items came out in quick succession. 23 years in the field, and living off the land on long campaigns taught the mercenary to be as best prepared as possible.

He drew out a flask, and a using his knife cut a shirt into thin bandaging strips. He took these over to Tree Viper, and kneeled next to him. There was already alot of blood spilled, but such wounds were always messy.

"I am no physician, or healer, and my touch is not gentle." Greyson said, "But if you are willing I will fix what I can, as best I can." It would be best to sew the flap of skin back in place after cleaning it, but though he had the steel needle, usually used to mend clothing, he lacked the thread, or even horsehair needed to close the wound. It was up to Tree Viper to accept his offer of care, or for someone else to present a more suitable skill of healing.

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Adel

• King
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2004, 11:17:00 AM »
Deja who still knelt on the forest ground stood up and met the eyes of her would be rescuer, "My hair is not horses but it is as long and strong as.  We could use it as thread it will need to be boiled first to kill any impurities.  It will then need to be slightly twisted or braided to give it strength, then fused some how at the ends to keep it from fraying.â€?  She turns to the priest a grimace on her face, "have you anything else to drink to ease his pain?â€?  She again turns and waits for instructions peering at the birdman with pity as she thought to herself this is gonna hurt like hell
Adel
a simple girl with a complex past

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10 Elite Systems Guild Elite Questor
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2004, 03:38:16 PM »
He isnt going to answer anything. Greyson thought looking at Tree-Vipers head wound. He uncapped the small flask, and splashed some of the malt liquor on the exposed flesh of the wound. The alcohol would hopefully kill any chance of infection, but there was always a risk. A field surgeon, or combat physician would be far preferrable in this situation, but poor Tree-Viper only had the sercives of a discharged soldier.

Using hair provided by Deja, he fashioned a sutcher to fix the errant flap of Kestorian flesh back to the bandit's head. If he was lucky, his hair would eventually hide the scar. If not, he would be very easy to pick out of a crowd. Greyson threaded the needle after dipping it in the whiskey. No use using a dirty needle to sew up a wound. Might as well leave it open as to use dirty materials.

"Alec, Aki," Greyson called the others, "Help hold him down, even if he is unconscious, he will thrash and try to fight."

"Would you hold his head?" He looked to Deja. He pressed the needle quickly into the wounded flesh, better quick and done rather than slow and slightly less painful.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2004, 03:49:24 PM »
"GYAAAH!" shouted the bandit, twisting under their hands. "AIEEE! YAAH-AAH!"
His face locked in a snarling, histrionic rictus, shrieking in an exaggerated fashion through his teeth.
"EEEEEAAAYAH! AH! Bugger you, and bugger you, and bugger you, and piss on yeh' all! GAAAAH!"
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2004, 06:15:47 PM »
"Do all men from Kestor howl like girls?" Greyson asked as he continued the stitching of the wound. Tree-Viper struggled, but was held fast between three sets of hands. The stitches were not as neat as Greyson would have liked, but they would hold. He tied the ends of the hair-string into a small tight knot, the smallest he could manage. The hair was slick with blood, and Tree-Viper's thrashing did little to make the job easier.

Knot in place, Greyson pulled his boot dagger, the one he had intended to duel Shara-Gur with, and cut the hair short. It was a rough job, very rough, but with some luck the top of the Kestorians head wouldnt putrefy and slough away.

"I know this seems a poor thanks for saving my life as you did, but perhaps when we are in better condition, I will be able to thank you properly." Greyson said as he cleaned the needle and dropped it back into the small leather script that held his other small and easily lost items.

"Thank you everyone." Greyson said as he handed Tree-Viper the flask of malt whickey, or what remained of it. Perhaps you would like some in you instead of just on you." he said with a tired smile.

Offline Alec_Shadowkin

• Minor Count of Creative Endeavors
  • Guardian
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2004, 08:23:40 PM »
d**n! For such a small person, this scalped man was awfully strong and tough to hold down. Everything was beginning to blur. The near deaths of himself and the girl, the attempted airiel assault, the scalping, and now this mercenary was holding hard liquor right under his nose!! It was all Aaron could do to not rip the bottle out of Greyson's hand and take a massive gulp. He licked his lips, but managed to refrain from action.

He stood up, brushing off his knees and hands. "Well, if it's all the same to the rest of you, I suggest we get moving to somewhere else, and quickly."
Authentic Strolenite©

- "You're Hells Angels, then? What chapter are you from?"
- REVELATIONS, CHAPTER SIX.

-- Death in conversation with a biker (Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, Good Omens)

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2004, 08:30:16 PM »
"Aye," said Tree Viper sullenly, swigging from the bottle of malt and gingerly fingering his bloody scalp.

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2004, 10:30:50 PM »
Greyson took up the bandages fashioned from the clean shirt, and cast an eye towards Tree-Viper. The wound looked bad, but he would likely be doing much better once it had full time to heal.

"Almost forgot," Greyson said, "Some bandaging will help, you'll feel it if you snag one of those stitches on something, or scratch your head by accident. Compared to that last bit, this wont hurt a bit."

He used the long strips of cloth to make a bandage over the wound. It would have to be changed daily, lest the fabric, soaked in blood and pus-like discharge would become a breeding ground for disease. Judging from how much it took for the first bandaging, he had enough shirt strips to redress the wound three times. Then Viper would be on his own, and hopefully out of the forest.

"Now lets see about this business we came here for." Greyson said as he unwrapped his package.

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2004, 08:45:00 PM »
Aki was watching the trees scouting for any sign of the Moriandar.
They were gone, every single one. Just like that. Who was this "Raven" and why did the wild men heed this being? It was certainly not a Moriandarian name. Something ill was at work, doubt chewed on his wery bones.
He thought of his father and the Morian wars, was it all connected?
This matter was greater than he had precumed at first. Old secrets could be revealed like the inside of a rotten fruit. He wished for his fathers advice, but alas his father was far away in Thalion. Curse him. He had betrayed the Halidon and was no longer his kin.

His attention focused upon Greyson as he heard the brown paper of the package being torn. He watched in dismay as greyson produced a big bronze key and a sealed letter from the curled paper.
What was this? The mission did not end here, the key told him that much.
There were no doors in the Corell forest, not even a wall. He should never have embarked upon this quest, not even for the gold. Aki felt the wight of the leather gold bag in his belt. But he would have to see this through.
He did not fear the hooded man's threats, but a job was a job.

"We should open all the bags right away without further delay."
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2004, 10:35:15 PM »
Tree Viper sulkily fingered the bandaging on his head, and then, swigging again from the bottle of liquor, ripped open his package.
Odd. It was a heavy wedge of silver, tarnished black in some places, probably very old. There was a star-shaped mark upon it. It looked rather like a silver piece of rotten cheese if you unfocused your eyes.
"Oi!," he barked. "Wass' this, then?"

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2004, 12:02:10 PM »
Greyson squeezed the heavy bronze key in his hand. He could feel the baroque handle pressing into his flesh. With all his might he wanted to squeeze the key until oddly shaped strings of bronze were extruded between his fingers like the strange device that a chef used to turn a heavy block of dough into noodles and pasta*.

"A key, a ruddy stupid key and a letter!" Greyson said, looking offended by the item. He read the writing on the note, his teeth clenched tight.

Not to be opened before the doors are reached.

"What doors! There arent any d**ned doors in the forest!" He was furious, this was the sort of thing that infuriated him. Being led along by the nose, he hated it. If he could find the stumpy toothed old man he would hack him to bloody gibbets for picking him out of all the men in the tavern to do this. Three days of walking in the forest, then being set upon by wild men who turn out to be the Moriander and can speak, not just the brutal murderous savages who had been fending off for the last year. Then there was the interrupted death duel, and the gash on his side, and the top of Tree-Vipers head nearly sliced off, followed by a slap-dash job of field surgery. It was enough to make Saint Duncan swear.

He looked over at Tree-Viper and his tarnished silver wedge. "Well...at least I know what my item is." He looked to others, what their items were, and if they too had notes. It was going to be a long night. He was already feeling the heavy drag of fatigue as the rush of combat, and the anxiety of such bloody surgery subsided. He felt drained, and his anger, as white and hot as could be drained out of his just as quickly.

Offline Alec_Shadowkin

• Guardian
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2004, 09:20:08 AM »
Aaron was dismayed that everyone ignored his comment. He wanted out of this forest as fast as possible, but since they weren't going and there was nothing he could do alone, he pulled his package from his robes and unwrapped it.

It was a small wedge shaped piece of flat metal, like a slice of a cake. It was horribly tarnished and had a symbol of a moon on it. If he were forced to guess, he would venture that it dated back to the Morian War. It looked as though there were at least two other pieces that should be with it, completing a circle perhaps?

Aaron showed it around and then repeated his previous comment.

"If everyone's done with show-and-tell now, I suggest we get our asses moving. Maybe you guys don't mind that these savages wanted me and the girl on a pyre, but I sure as hell do."
Authentic Strolenite©

-- Death in conversation with a biker (Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, Good Omens)

Offline Adel

• King
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2004, 09:34:00 PM »
Deja peered over her shoulder at the priest he was right they needn't stay here much longer, but she was curious to see how her fellow adventures would respond to her parcel. She untied the strap of leather that had bound together a similar leather bag out of it she poured three balls no, gems perfectly round and about the size of a shooter, an oversized marble used to shoot at others. The gems were brown and slightly tarnished as she rubbed the grime off of one of them she saw or sensed a slight glow with in them. She held three in her hand she saw three more still in the bag six total. She turned to face her comrades holding the marvels in her hand. Smiling she allowed them to one by one slide back in to thier leather throng making a crisp clicking sound as they did so. " The priest is right we should leave here now! The wildmen have been called off for now do not let us... Eh hum... over stay our welcome!"
Adel

Authentic Strolenite®©

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2004, 04:03:44 PM »
Aki sighed. He was getting tired as the night grew old.
He was also becoming justifiably paranoid. Somewhere, somehow, somebody or some thing is pulling strings, and the puppets are dancing. But these puppets can think and they can fight back. Where they to follow the leads and walk into the unknown? They had to be careful before moving out to do whatever they were supposed to do.

"First things first" he said.

"I have yet to open my own parcel."

He opened the package, tearing the brown paper away.
Inside was the symbol of mother Sun marked upon a wedge shaped piece
of metal. It looked like the two other symbols, old and tarnished.
The priest was probably right, this was indeed an artifact of old.
He lifted the symbol over his head for everyone to see.

"The three symbols seem alike except for the markings, it would not take
a wise one to understand that they belong toghether. It could be years since anyone saw these three toghether. But why now? And why us?
And what of these other items? Are these artifacts connected?
A key, a letter, gems and and three symbols. A moon, a star and the sun."
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2004, 07:31:40 AM »
"Well, it looks like these three metal wedges go together, like slices of a metal pie. Not a very tasty pie in my opinion." Greyson said. They were dancing to a tune that they couldnt hear, and they didnt know who was playing the song.

"The door should be around here somewhere, otherwise why would we be here. Whomever did this took the time to ensure that the wild men...the Moriander, would be made to leave us unmolested. He looked over at Tree Vipers bandaged head and added, "For the most part."

Greyson walked to the center stone of the circle. The fire was starting to collapse inward, releasing showers of embers into the night sky. He felt bitterly exhausted and wanted to rest badly. This was like one of the puzzles that the blacksmith would make, the ones that were confoundedly difficult to solve unless you knew the trick, and then they would come apart like magic. Magic made Greysons head hurt worse than it already did.

He inspected the center stone, hand splayed out against the cool stone, feeling the indecipherable runes and glyphs etched in its surface.

"No doors, but there is a pattern." Greyson said. "Sun, moon, and stars, all things in the sky, heavenly bodies. Plus they make a complete circle." he said. The three pieces indeed made a complete circle, but there was a hole in the center.

Greyson started laughing. He had given up a nice bunk in a clean town where the liquor was reasonably priced, and the whores were clean and friendly to trek through the woods, almost get killed by savages who werent as savage as he though they would be, and then to play with pieces of a puzzle. He beat his fist against the stone menhir as he laughed, now starting to play out.

They thought they would leave the forest tonight. They had all trekked at least several days before arriving at the circle, and they though to leave without resting, two days afoot. He let the laughter subside and rested his fevered head against the menhir.

"Wait just a tic..." he said, wiping his face with the back of his hand. Something felt different, one of the runes was signifigantly deeper than the rest. He traced the outline of a circle in the stone, maybe just big enough to place all three of the wedges in.

"Everyone, come look at this, and bring the pie wedges." he called to the others, who were already undoubtedly looking at him like he lost his mind.

Offline Alec_Shadowkin

• Guardian
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2004, 01:43:02 PM »
Aaron walked over to Greyson, brow furrowed in thought. He handed the mercenary his piece, then turned to Deja. "Might I get another look at those gems of yours?"*

He dumped the pouch into his hand, turning the small gems over and examining them closely. Suddenly his eyes widened as he realized what he held.

"These aren't ordinary gems, these are Thrar Stones! They're rocks that have been caught in the trunks of growing trees within this very forest. I didn't recognize them at first cause they're almost mythical, because they're so rare. I'm going to suggest we check out these standing stones, maybe there's a connection to the Thrar Stones."

*I am assuming that Deja will have no qualms about showing them to me, so I am going ahead with my actions. If I need to rework this post, let me know.
Authentic Strolenite©

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2004, 11:18:08 AM »
Greyson took the three metal wedges and placed them together. They formed a cylinder with a hole through the middle. He lifted the three pieces and placed them into the circular hole in the menhir. They slipped out the first time, his grip faltering. He cursed himself with impatience and placed the three pieces of metal back into the slot delicately. There should be enough of an overhang to hold them in place.

They stuck. He stepped back and inspected his handiwork. He though keyhole for a second, but the shape was wrong, his key wouldnt fit into it.

"What about the Thar, arg, whatever stones you found, will those fit in this hole?" Greyson asked Deja.

Offline Adel

• King
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2004, 01:30:40 PM »
They may Looking back at the up front monk she held her hand out to get her parcel back. this being done she went to the circle and began to place the six round stones inside the hole.
Adel

Authentic Strolenite®©

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2004, 08:56:37 AM »
Aki watched as the valuable gems dissapeared down the small hole. It sounded as if they were going pretty deep. When the last one hit the bottom of the standing stone a loud snap could be heard. Then nothing.

"So thats it then? Nothing more? How are we supposed to find out what to do next? We should have kept the wegdes and the stones, at least we could have sold them for a handsome price."

Aki unsheated his hunting knife and tried to break loose the wedges.

"AAAARGH! d**n this mission and d**n you."

The plates did not move, Aki cursed again and sat down leaning his back onto the standing stone.

"I apologize, this place is getting to me. Do anyone have any ideas on what to do now?" He sighed.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2004, 12:30:15 PM »
Greyson could understand Aki's frustration. All of the stones were in, all of the wedges were used and now they wouldnt come out. All he had was a baroque key, and...the letter.

Seeing as the key wouldnt fit into the whole, he took out the letter, and tore it open.

"I am tired of playing these games." Greyson said.

Offline Adel

• King
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2004, 09:59:40 AM »
Deja's curiosity was peaked as Greyson opened the letter. She wondered what secrets it might hold.She tried to approach the warrior and peer over his shoulder so that she too might read the letter; discovering however that she is not tall enough she sulks away waiting for some one to read it aloud.
Adel

Authentic Strolenite®©

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2004, 02:18:17 PM »
Aki was listening in silence as Greyson read the letter aloud.
All of a a sudden he felt chilled, these were forbidden words.
Would anyone discover their crime? Did it matter at all, he simply did not know.
Greyson was obviously learned in the art of reading. He seemed confident
and relaxed, not stumling upon the letters as Aki too often did.

"Dear Tannarak." Greyson paused.

"It pleases me that this letter has reached you.
Forgive my means of transporting it.
Feel free to dispose of those foolish ones that brought it to your door,
they mean nothing to me. Though I must say that I am quite impressed with them. I only deared to hope that such luck might befall us that they actually made it to your home. They have been trough a great deal of trouble only to be rewarded with death.But make sure you do not slay my hypnotized one. He can still be of use to me."

Everebody seemed to be quite disturbed bye this. A hypnotized one among them? A traitor? But Greyson cept on reading.

"Once in our past you asked me a question of which I did not know the answer. Now many years later I have talked to one of the Magi.
He did indeed reveal some of the old truth to me. But he was a weak creature, it took me many years to identify his rambling for what it was.
In other words I had to use the fragments of his madness and compare it with the scrolls in Oskia. What I learned was this.

Where humanity gets it wrong by our time, is in imagining Hy-Brasail
as having any kind of quantifiable existence. Which of course it has not; Not in the way they imagine anyway.
There have been an awful lot of Hy-Brasail's and there will be quite a few more. It is just a symbol. A symbol of the art. The true Hy-Brasail is inside you, just as it is inside all of us. The sunken land is lost beneath the dark sea, lost beneath the waves of wet, black stories and myths that brak upon the shores of our minds.
Hy-Brasail is the shadowland, the birth place of civilization. The fair land in the west that is lost to us, but remains forever, true birthplace and true goal. It is Pendulium and Skartair and Hy-Braisal.
The last words of the Magi before i ended his wretched existence was rather disturbing. He told me that the whole thing is a crock of dirt. Not worth the price he paid. Not for one second. If he had his time over again he would choose to be somebody happy and distant and small. Living in a hole in the ground maybe. Never to get involved in the affairs of the great and the powerful. Never to discover the joy of the art.
This is what troubles me now my dear Tannarak, Once you have begun to walk this path, there is no getting of it.
This is us Tannarak, this is our destiny. We must rush our plans into action as soon as possible. The first pawn has been set into motion.
My dear band of fools has placed the seal and fed the stone.
Soon this land will ours and legends of old nightmares will walk the earth once again."

"Yours forever", Greyson sighed as he passed the letter around for everyone to see with their own eyes.

Aki was shocked.

"What in the yawning abyss was that about?"
Authentic Strolenite™©®

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2004, 07:39:52 AM »
Greyson closed his eyes and took a depe breath. "You want to know what this means?" he said to Aki. "It means we have been played out, puppets to this...farce." he said with a half snarl. This was the sort of manipulation that had taken him away from his beloved Eliza, leaving her unprotected, to die with the rest of their village in a pointless border skirmish.

"We followed along, and it has been a trap. I dont know the names he used, but they dont sound nice, especially the shadowland one. What have we betrayed for thirty pieces of gold?"