llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Visitor from the Wastelands  (Read 3088 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Systems Guild Gold Creator 10 Elite Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
Visitor from the Wastelands
« on: July 17, 2004, 03:52:00 PM »
A Scrasamax is a pre-renaissance Swiss two-handed sword similar to a claymore, flamberge, or zweihander. That cleared up, I have been RPing since 1997, when a friend introduced me to a poorly hammered out game of Dungeons and Dragons. We only had the PHB, and a battered Dungeon Master's Screen and a handful of dice, some with teeth marks in them.

We would play for hours on end, staying up into the wee hours of the night, laughing, cutting up, and playing out our adventures. It was not long before my extensive reading background, and morbidly active imagination vaulted me to the seat behind the screen. We expanded from AD&D and added Vampire to our game list, along with Battletech. Ah, hands in the airs, voices exaspiratingly crying out 'Garrison duty again?' and despite protests, they threw themselves into the game, fighting each other as well as invaders, and angry locals.

I ran an afternoon game where all of the players, rich with gold all but looted a city of it's jewelry and fine dresses. I was lucky to have not just girls in my troop, but all girls in that particular troop. To be honest, females have been a larger percentage of my gamers than boys, but I think it has lead me to create more rounded characters and adventures, branching away from the hack'n'slash point and shoot.

Characters got married, children were born, friends and loved ones perished. During one such evening, the funeral of a henchman, a waifish cyborg, was interrupted because two of my players were crying. I was saddened by the fact that the NPC was gone, but the fact that she was though of as a friend by the players was one of the best accolades I have ever recieved. The other came after a pre-planned Halloween game.

We camped out, barbecued on the grill, and played. No dice, no rule books, just the taste of beer, and the sounds of the night. Mind you this is in east Texas, and there are alot of sounds. Frogs, cicadas, crickets, whipporwills, and other nighttime animals. We played, three of the five PC's were killed, their bodies lost deep within the earth. One of my players told me they had nightmares afterwards, nightmares of the game that they had completed.

Good times. Good times don't last. I followed my girlfriend to east Tennessee where I married her.  :D We both play, I am sooooooo lucky. It may be that I just have a biased opinion, but oh well, whatever.

Then the truth hit home. A game book in Texas brought questioning looks, and sometimes those people would ask a question, or thumb through a book curiously. Not such a bad place, actually. You can hear the bibles thumping here. I have had people tell me I am going to hell if I don't trash the game books and start reading the bible instead. I give them the finger, tell 'e, I've read, more than once too. Then I ask when they last read it and laugh when they realize that they havent read it, or havent read it in a decade or longer. Hypocrits.     :twisted:

This is the wasteland of RPG's. There are no game shops, no local groups. All of my game books come via the internet, and through sites like this, which I enjoy immensly. This is where imagination comes to die, where illiteracy, and ignorance are not only present, but sometimes proudly displayed. Rednecks are a world wide phenominon, I bet there are even French rednecks, but only in Tennessee are these people given an elevated status, proud of their ignorance and obtuseness. I don't mean to sound like a hater, but until you've lived here and seen the local news, and read the local paper...it's just scary.

Aaaaaaanyway, I am a bit of a medieval enthusiast. RenFests are alot of fun, and I have staffs that I have cut and cured myself. I learned to swordfight with training swords, as well as with the staff. I've had blackened fingers, elbows, knees, feet, and ears. Training is painfull! I also read regularly. Koontz is a weekend fling, King lasts a week, and six months later, Nietsche is still putting up a fight.

Well, I guess this intro is long enough now.
Peace

Scras

Stout Lagerale of the Dwarven Guild
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 4

Tentacle Tentacle Sanity Schmanity

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Questor Locations Guild Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2004, 04:01:37 PM »
Your story rings true, although in the military there are always small little groups that play, but they are sometimes very hard to find as gamers don't oftern advertise themselves. Unless you happen to work with a few and make an effort to reveal that you are a roleplayer chances are that it will never get out.

My last base I sponsored a guy and was helping him unpack and saw the books. Not sure how long it would have taken to find out if I didn't accidently see the rpg books.

So now I am here, in Japan, and haven't found a game and so I found solace in this site and the code that runs it. That was actually the initial reason for the site, for me at least, a wayward gamer with plenty of ideas and nowhere to share them. The site started at my last base when I had the rpg friends to help me with the initial ideas. We all got busy with college and didn't have time to have a stable game but always had a few minutes to type up an idea. So the idea started with rpg friends and blossomed when I got here and *really* had nobody to share ideas with.

Thanks for sharing your story.

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Systems Guild Gold Creator 10 Elite Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2004, 04:20:45 PM »
I havent been to a sit down game in about four years. I miss it, but you are entirely right about us gamers being a secretive bunch. It really doesnt help that the hobby still has such a bad reputation. I was really surprised to discover that a member of management was a Vampire player, and he played Assamites at that. That plant closed, and he moved, and that was the end of it. He brought out the Star Wars D20 game and we played it some, it was pretty fun. I was a solder and my wife was a padawan jedi.

As for the site, I have read through a few, and have found most of them lacking something. I cant put my finger on it, but I almost always lose interest. Your site has actually held my attention for the longest time, and is one of the few to elicit posts from me.

Most of the people I work with just consider it one more oddity about me, so they smile and nod, some of them have read some of my books, most like the artwork, even in the vampire books which can be risque at times. I read you are in Japan, and I think I would envy you for that, but only a little. I love sushi much to the disgust of the majority of my family, as well as anime. It shocks them to know I like raw fish, but find their cole slaw, and cornbread IN milk vile and disgusting. Ah well, thems the breaks.

I read alot, philosophy, history, all kinds of things that have lead me to 'expand' myself, and not confine myself to a single genre. I knew gamers who only read game books, and the game novels (which, BTW, I find horribly written) and no matter what their characters were invariably cookie cut from their favorite book. I see these and want to make sure that my characters are never so poorly rendered, so poorly developed.

One of those players left my group because there was too much sex in my game, and not enough killing. IE, it wasn't hack and slash with piles of coins and clear cut everything. Emotional ties, plot devices, character development? No, just kill and loot. I think he might have had real problems, shortly after leaving the group his girlfriend left him to come back to the group.

Thanks for reading my story
BTW, my wife is out of town, and I am bored out of my gourd. Normally I dont write nearly this long.

Scras

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Elite Plot Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator Elite Systems Guild
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2004, 05:32:40 PM »
Among the rednecks of Tennessee, on duty in Japan or wasting away in Northern europe; the life of the roleplayer has similarities it seems...

Scrasamax: I ran off with a little roleplaying girlie too. Streak of genius if you ask me. She can't wait till the next session.
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Adel

• King
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2004, 10:52:58 PM »
Do Not allow yourself to be deceived, not all Tennesseans are redneck hillblillies. I am a current resident of south centeral TN. I understand that you would not be so ignorant as to claim that all people from this state were " proud of their ignorance and obtuseness. Because I will gladly tell you that I am neither. I will also inform you that  I happen to work at a facility that deals with underpriveliged children whose parents either do not know how to teach them any better or do not care, in many of the cases that I have seen it is not that the child or parent is proud of their ignorance, they are just proud to be themselves. When you have people make fun of you on a daily basis you have to harden yourself against such criticism and be thankful for the knowledge you have. I apologize if my first impression is not what you expected but I will thankyou if from now on you take more care with your words especially into matters in which you obviously do not understand or do not care to understand. Before you consider some one ignorant make sure you understand their story.

~Adel
Adel
a simple girl with a complex past

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2004, 10:31:22 AM »
[[Do Not allow yourself to be deceived, not all Tennesseans are redneck hillblillies. ]]

I know that not all Tennesseans are redneck hillbillies. My wife is a Tennessean, as is most of her family. I know quite a few people who don't fit that profile. It is a generalization, and yes I know that generalizations aren't always a good thing.

[[I am a current resident of south centeral TN.]]

East Tennessee here

[[I understand that you would not be so ignorant as to claim that all people from this state were " proud of their ignorance and obtuseness. Because I will gladly tell you that I am neither.]]

Well, I guess that would make you an exception to the generalization then. There is also the fact that you misspelled hillbillies, didn't punctuate my quote properly, and that you shouldn't start a sentance with a conjunctive word like because.

[[I will also inform you that I happen to work at a facility that deals with underpriveliged children whose parents either do not know how to teach them any better or do not care, in many of the cases that I have seen it is not that the child or parent is proud of their ignorance, they are just proud to be themselves.]]

I applaud your work, it is noble.  :)

[[When you have people make fun of you on a daily basis you have to harden yourself against such criticism and be thankful for the knowledge you have.]]

Let me tell you my half of the story then. I live near Meigs county, the meth manufacturing capital of Tennessee and likely the South. Meth labs explode about once every two weeks, destroying mobile homes, or sinking the boat it was on. I have met more illiterate people here than I have met anywhere else. These people will tell you proudly that they cannot read, and they have no use for reading. By the way, these same people also trash the hobby that we concurrently share as dangerous and evil. I understand that sometimes a person has to harden themselves against criticism. Sometimes that criticism could go away if the person could, or would address the matter of criticism.

Now, I'm not attacking, or insulting the disadvantaged, or the deprived, of which Tennessee also has a surplus. Our state is 49th in education. That is horrid. I've worked with people who know nothing about history, or literature. They know about Britney Spears, using their cell phones, and wondering how the Vols are going to do this year. They know Peyton Manning, but they don't know who Hitler was.

Yes people have a right to have pride in themselves. I would like to point out that pride is technically a sin. I guess to sum it up, they don't know, they don't care, and they are proud of it.

[[I apologize if my first impression is not what you expected but I will thankyou if from now on you take more care with your words especially into matters in which you obviously do not understand or do not care to understand.]]

You make an eloquent point. Perhaps I have been in Tennessee to long an it is starting to rub off on me, being ignorant and not caring about it. Thank you is two words.

[[Before you consider some one ignorant make sure you understand their story]]

A good point you make. I moved here from a major city in Texas. I felt like I stepped out of the 21st century and back into the 19th. I went from a state that ranked in the top quarter of the nation for education down to almost the very bottom. Maybe you have never left this state, there is certainly a surplus of people who's most extensive travels have only taken them to Georgia, or one of the border states. The view from the outside is certainly different from the view from within.

Before you consider me ignorant, make sure you understand my story.

I await your responce
Scras

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2004, 01:47:24 PM »
Isn't it a "scramasax", not "scrasamax"?
I was wondering when you would introduce yourself.

Here in Idaho, we too have to deal with a bad reputation. Now I'm not saying that everyone is prejudiced against Idaho, but a great number of people that I've met (outside of Idaho) think that I'm a Neo-Nazi skinhead redneck potato farmer.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2004, 02:24:29 PM »
Looked up the definition, haven't done it before actually.

"The Scramasax is a European bladed weapon, vaguely resembling a butcher knife or a machete. Its blade is gently curving, usually tapering to a point, sporting a false edge on the back up to a third of the whole length.
     "The total length could range from as little as half a foot to a full yard.
     "The name 'sax' stems from the Germanic word 'sahs', designating a knife or blade. The tribe of the Saxons, who customarily carried this type of weapon, took their name from it. It was also worn by Lombard warriors as a tool, a last resort weapon, and sign of rank from the 4th century AD to the 9th century AD, and was probably well known to many other Germanic tribes around Europe too.
     "The vikings distiguished between the sax (a longer straight backsword) and the scramasax.
     "Being cruder than a fully fledged sword, yet nonetheless an effective weapon against a foe, it became a staple with poorer soldiers, and it was still a weapon of choice for English bowmen as late as 1450."

Hmmm...not the definition I remember. Oh well, I got the name from the Breath of Fire III game, and I think it was a two handed sword. Eh, well I've used Scrasamax for years now and I think Scras is better than Scram.

It is easy to stereotype people from somewhere else. I'm from Texas and I get 'Steers and Queers' so often it isn't even remotely funny anymore. People will also ask me if I knew David Koresh.

I wish Adel hadn't taken my post so seriously. I live in TN by choice, and wouldn't move, well except to maybe Kentucky. It is peaceful, and quiet and the Smokies and the Cherokee National forest is stunning. I'll complain about it but I live here by choice.

To be honest, I though most people in Idaho were farmers and ranchers, along with the mini-silicon valley growing in Boise, I think it's Boise. I read about it in a US News about four or five months ago.

I do have to say that I do enjoy your work, Cap'n. It is nice to meet a person who I feel is patently deranged as I am.

Scras

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2004, 05:16:56 PM »
Breath of Fire III?! I love that game!

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2004, 09:06:43 PM »
I thought it was awesome. I was dissapointed that I never got to finish playing the game, it belonged to a friend. I only had it for a few days before he took it back and I think he sold it to someone.

I wanted to try more of the dragon orb(?) combos, but I think I only had three or four to choose from. The graphics were really cool, and I think the way the attacks visually evolved were awesome to boot.

My wife, girlfriend at the time, would actually take the controlled away from me to play the fishing part of the game. I didn't mind because she was pretty good at it. I never lacked for fish. Beleave it or not, but she would ask me to get the main guy to a fishing area so she could fish for a little while, followed with the solemn promise to save when she was done fishing.

Alas, having spent the last two years perched on it's side, my PSX finally has gone on to the big arcade in the sky   :oops:

Scras

Offline Adel

• King
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2004, 12:09:55 AM »
My reply:

First and formost I would like to thank you for pointing out my errors in typing as well as gramatically. I know I am not always up to mark and I always thank those who will help me improve these features. I hope to address this problem this fall when I take advanced grammar.

Secondly, I work at the local boys and girls club.  This facility is literally located in the hood. This is the area that up until two years ago the police would not venture into. Their is a suspected meth lab two houses away.  I know all to well about Tennessee's growing drug problem; you know it too well when you have to come in the next morning and pick up the peices of broken beer bottles and used syringes. Many of the kids here could not tell you what the word ignorant meant, but they could go in a store and tell you which house hold items to buy to produce "crank."  I suppose the reason that you offended me most is you having the audacity to poke fun at a problem that is obviously not funny. You sounded, and from your last post still sound, extremely arrogant.  

Lastly, just so we are on the same page here let me take you into my past I was born on November 5, 1983 in the wonderful city of Corpus Christi, Texas. I moved here at the age of six, and I love to travel.

Just out of curiosity, how many other states have you lived in for a prolonged period of time?  I never said you were ignorant.

~Adel
Adel

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2004, 12:13:08 AM »
Meth is becoming a problem in Boise, too. But not "slums full of used needles and broken beer bottles" problem.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2004, 12:36:22 AM »
Using my official Mod powers...

I DECLARE THIS ARGUMENT OVER!

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Questor Locations Guild Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2004, 03:01:34 AM »
I concur, no last words either, best to just drop it all together without mentioning again so nobody feels like they need to respond again.

Although Adel has an interesting finishing thought that I will answer in hopes to draw the conversation elsewhere....

====

I have not lived in any other state other then Illinios and California. I have quite heavily traveled west of the Mississippi with family sprinkled all over but only a few places on the east. (Not counting the states I just drove through which would up the number considerably). Was in Alaska for a couple weeks too.

Illinios was through 18 years old, California was through about 22 years old. In between Sacramento and San Francisco (Vacaville for those that might know). Then moved just outside of Cadiz, Spain. Wow, what a place. Lived there for four years, spent a couple months in Italy (up near Venice) and visited France, England, Croatia, Africa, Portugal, and the Canary Islands. (I think that is it.) Now I am in Japan, about 2 hours outside of Tokyo in the concrete jungle. Never seen so much concrete and so little green. For the three hour car trip to the Narita Airport there is probably a 15 minute section that is not buildings or roads. Pretty depressing.

Add some childhood vacations I have been to the Cayman Islands and Hawaii a few times. Canada was an every summer occurance hmmmm, can't think of any more right now, that might be it. I am a little proud of all the places I have been able to visit. I would have never guessed that I would have the chance to see so much when I was still in High School. Don't think I would trade any of it.

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Feathers Of The Raven

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2004, 03:35:54 AM »
A rumble from the corner signifies its life...It stands and shakes it's self, dust from countless months and weeks falling from it. It yawns streatchs and scratchs ones back. Adjusts it's belt and belches.

It goes to speak finds a dust bunny in it's throught coughs as if it has decided that the right lung must come out of its mouth.
It adjusts its beard and adjusts its back.
Hands on Hips
It speaks.
"Howdy"
Being me is dificult...that why I was chosen because im d**n GOOD!

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2004, 08:16:57 AM »
Where I have lived:

West Texas, Odessa Area - The words arid, dry, and bone melting heat have a special meaning here. The land is flat in all directions, and everything alive either has thorns, or is poisonous, or both. Lived here the longest. Moved east.

East Texas, Waco/Houston area - It could be an entirely different country, all of the green, trees, hills, and water beautiful water. Started working in the oil field, visited Galvenston, Corpus, Victoria, etc. Realized water shouldnt be gray, though this mainly only in Galveston.

Lafayette Louisiana - never technically lived there but spent so much time there that I might as well have. Only thing I havent seen is Mardi Gras, but I'm working on that.

East Tennessee, Athens area - Not to different from East Texas, much more green. I live in a very rural area, I have livestock on three sides of my property, and a deer lease on the other. It is beautiful country, and I love it. We are pretty much all heavily armed, but right friendly.

I can be arrogant sometimes, I admit it.

I want to handle this last bit with a little finesse. There is humor in everything, sometimes it is black, morbid, or patently disturbing, but it is there. My humor can, has, and will offend some people. Sometimes I can be vulgar and crass in this humor, which I will not be in this forum, as that would be very improper. Other times, I can make fun of something that someone else takes very seriously, such as religion. I try for the laugh, not the offence.

Some people just fly off the handle when you put a few velociraptors in the nativity scene.  :roll:

I have seen alot of bad in my life, and can't take life completely seriously. I'd die if I had to take everything completely seriously. All bad aside, life can be too much fun to take like medicine.

Looks at the disheveled Feathers,

'Man, I know how that feels, Howdy back at'cha'

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2004, 08:20:47 AM »
I wanna travel, I wanna see Europe, I wanna see London, I wanna see France, I wanna see...oops, nevermind

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2004, 12:00:12 PM »
Hey! Strolen said no last words, Scras!

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2004, 12:30:45 PM »
All apologies.  :oops:

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2004, 12:39:26 PM »
All is forgiven. Just trying to keep La Paz.

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2004, 01:06:36 PM »
Isn't La Paz in South America?

Pax

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2004, 08:31:24 PM »
La Paz means The Peace. Pax is Latin.

Offline Scrasamax

• The Rogue Scholar
  • Emperor
  • 20% Cooler
    • Scras' Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2004, 08:35:27 PM »
cool. I knew Pax was peace, didn't know La Paz was peace also. Learn something new every day.

:D

Offline Shadow1973

• Apprentice
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2004, 09:55:01 AM »
I was reading this thread and it got SO interisting i forgot to say Hello.  

So HELLO!

Offline Adel

• King
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2004, 11:48:47 AM »
:twisted: its good to keep things interesting:lol:
Adel

Authentic Strolenite®©