llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: World of Chipped Things  (Read 1675 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
  • Awards 2013 Location of the Year Questor NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
World of Chipped Things
« on: June 23, 2004, 10:47:43 PM »
Overview
I am seeing a typical RP world - medieval. This world is almost no-magic - the only sorcerers come through bloodline, and are rare - though each generation of sorcerers are fractionally more powerful than the last, at their greatest capacity. The sorcerers usually secrete themselves from society, not intefering with the rest of the world, and simply pondering over existence in the Mages Guild. There are only two types of sentient creatures - the Humans, and the 'elves'. I only call them elves because that is their physical appearance. The elves are secretive, and never leave the forests. They wear garbs of silken material, or forged metal, and they choose to come into contact with humankind as little as possible. The humans sometimes attempt to hunt the elves - they think of them as inferior to the human race.
There are fantasy creatures though they, too, are rare - almost as rare as the sorcerers. The common creatures are all earthern creatures - wolves, and horses and foxes and eagles and so on. There is one thing unique about these lands, however, and that is the creation of some simple, computer-style chips - the only bit of sci-fi in this fantasy world. When an owner of a chip spills some of his blood on it, then inserts it into a creatures brain, these chips force that creature to be bound into servitude to whoevers blood was spilled on it. These chips also allow - when the user wishes - to set these creatures into a 'stasis' mode, wherein they shrink (or grow, in insects cases) to small, stone figurines, able to fit in the palm of ones hand. One last property of this technology, is that it causes the creatures rate of evolution to increase dramatically, based on the experiences the creatures encounter whilst not in 'stasis'. For the most part, these creatures are used for labour that humans cannot easily perform. For example: Apes are implanted with this chip, then are sent by their owners to mine. Due to the apes experience of mining, it loses its hair, and its skin hardens, eventually turning into stone. Its strength increases vastly and before long it can wrench out iron-ore with its bare hands. These creatures are also used for Transport, defence, categorising and many other purposes.
Each creature is able to evolve differently, however - for example, an owner of a chipped horse often travels long distances, so the horse eventually grows wings to aid in the swiftness - thus the pegasi. Another owner of a chipped horse, uses the horse for war, training it to fight with its hooves. A horn begins growing from its skull, and thus we have a unicorn.

The Chips
No human in this world knows how the chips came to existence - it goes back as far as written history does for them. Some believe they were gifts from creatures from beyond. Most believe the humans made them themselves. Fortunately, they have been able to reproduce these chips, so for a fee, anyone could own one or two. As far as the humans know, the elves do not possess these chips.
The chip is approximately the size of a thumbnail, but for a high price, there are some about half the size of a pinky's nail, which is therefore able to be placed in insects. Its appearance is the same as the usual computer chip, and it is black in colour. The edges are generally sharp, so for many animals, it can be pushed into the skull - yes, the process is painful for the animal, but once the chip is in place, it makes the wound seal back up. The chip attaches itself the the creatures brain, modifying it for servitude. It taps into the evolutionary process of the creature, and periodically sends out 'pulses' to all of the animals extremities, studying for flaws or things that could be better improved.

Fantasy, Magic and War
The 'fantasy' creatures in this world, are in actuality just chipped creatures who have lost their master. Since the creatures are still their base type (wolf, horse etc...) They are still able to mate with the normal ones of their type and produce offspring. And since the evolved genes pass on down the generations, the fantasy creatures survived and increased throughout time. Yes, two evolved creatures of the same type could mate, also. A pegasi and Unicorn could produce a horned, winged horse, faster and more nimble than both its parents.
But lets deviate from creatures for a moment. What of chipped humans? Well, it has been punishable by death to chip a human for some two thousand years, though nobody remembers why the law started. Chipped humans are bound into slavery and total domination, forced to do exactly what and how its master bids.
What the humans do not remember, are the ancient wars between human and elf. The humans dont remember either the war, or why they would hate the elves, but back in that time, things were going very badly for the humans. The elves were slaughtering them with some unheard of weaponry, which propelled little shards of metal at unbelievable speeds. One general came up with a plan, however. He ordered all generals and officers in the army to implant chips into the low ranks, to create an ordered, singleminded army. And with this army, they fought back the elves, back into the trees, where they remained, forgotten. But what of the chipped humans? Well, the general ordered them all slain, so nobody would remember this horrible ordeal. But he forgot that some higher ranks were slain in the war. The freed humans had fled, hiding in various towns and cities, some living to a ripe old age, and having children. The war, and these people were forgotten over the years, but, those chips probed the intelligent minds of the humans, and found something which lay dormant in their minds. The ability to manipulate the elements, though power of thought alone. Thus, the Magi were born, and were only passed down through certain bloodlines.

Ancient History
Where would this world be, without a cruel twist for the humans? In a time before humankinds written word, there was only elf. But these elves were not elves of which you might imagine. In the forests, they lived in cities, Buildings forged of metal and cement rose several stories high. The wise elves were not barbaric, inferior races, but instead highly advanced, technological creatures. I bring you forth now, to 15BH - 15 years Before Humankind. A wise group of elves had been tinkering with the idea of cloning - what better way to make life easier, than to create a race which would follow orders, and do the work for them all? They wanted intelligent creatures, but they did not want the creatures to be more intelligent than them. And so the elves pondered on a different way they might be able to create servants. Their thoughts came onto the point of evolution, and their eyes fell upon the apes of the forests.
500 apes were collected in all. They were placed in contained and survaillenced environments. Of course, this small group of scientists did this secretively, to avoid the abuse of the elven population, who would frown on it. Into their brains, the elves put the marvel of their intelligence - a small computer chip, which studied and enhanced these creatures, whilst also binding them into servitude, by placing DNA of the masters into the chip. And over the years, the long-lived elves watched their creations evolve. Much of their hair was lost. Their minds expanded, and they stopped swinging in trees. After some twenty years, they were taken out of their concealed environments, though still kept secret from the rest of the elves. The scientists talked to the apes, and the chip allowed them to pick up the language quickly.
The elves were surprised at their own skill - they had evolved these people hundreds of thousands of years, in less than half a century. But one thing they had not counted on, was the master of these 'humans'(as they called them) dying. The master died of natural causes - he had lived to a ripe, old elven age of 236 years. But at this elfs death, the humans all blinked collectively, then abruptly leapt at the other scientists! They tore the unprepared people apart, angered by their captivity, then fled, seeking a way to freedom. In the city that day, the elven population beheld five hundred naked, elven-like creatures sprinting out of a building, blinking at the light, then fleeing to the forests. Only two or so scientists survived, and in their shame, they kept the secret of the creation of these creatures, to their graves.
Over the next millenium, the humans mated, and created cities of wood and stone in the plains and valleys of the worlds - the forests were all but forbidden to them, though they eventually forgot why. The chips were lost from the original humans minds after the first generation, and so the humans stopped evolving rapidly. They were now at the stage of medieval intelligence, but they will remain at that stage for millenia to come. Quickly, they outgrew the elves in population, as the elves rarely mated. They were only a small race - about half a million in population.
One thing the humans kept though, was the computer chips. Ritualistic funerals caused them to burn the bodies, and all that was left was ashes and those chips. Through years of study and testing, they both learned what the chips did, and how to reproduce them. Since all the elven scientists that knew how to create these chips died, however, this technology was now the humans, and the humans alone.

The elves saw how fast the humans were increasing in population, and they realised that if they let it go on, they would severely outnumber the elves. And so the elves attacked. Using rifles and pistols they fought the humans with the intention to destroy them all. And it was working, until that unnamed general decided to put the chips in the humans brains. The elves were forced back, and now to this date, they wait in the forests, guarding them. They know its only a matter of time before the humans grow large enough and raze all the forests, eventually finding the cities within them.
The elves now debate what to do. They could try to attack the humans again with their new technology, or they could try to parley with them. Maybe they could sit and wait it out. Time will tell.

So yes. Though the humans would never believe such a thing - it was the 'savage' elves, that created the humans. And yes, the 'magi' are two generations of chip-implants, and are approximately as advanced as the elves are. They suspect their elven heritage, and have the knowledge to great some great technology, but they keep everything from both human and elf, within their mage guild, for until they learn the entire truth of their history. Thus mages sometimes go on expeditions into the forest to attempt to find and talk to the elves.

Underground/Blackmarket
Most of the modified creatures in this world are used for labour or defence or some other task - even as a plaything for a child. Pitting one of these creatures against another to fight to the death is highly illegal - like cock-fighting or dog-fighting. The punishment can be as much as life inprisonment, or even death. But, lured by the betting money they think they can make, people do it anyway. They evolve their creatures in a fighting environment, forcing them to attack other creatures to gain skill in that area. Before long, some truly horrendous and dangerous creatures emerge. Wolven creatures with four arms and heavily clawed hands, walking upright and with a poisonous bite. The rare evolved form of a komodo dragon, growing wings, and giving it the ability to expel flames from its very breath, gives birth to the extremely rare and terrifying dragon. Creatures such as this strike fear into the humans policing force - what if the thieves and evil people of the world were to think of creating creatures to attack the cities and take over? What could they do about it? Create creatures of their own, Thats what. elite policing forces are given permission to create these creatures for the defence of the towns, and to hunt down these monster-creating rogues.
Of course, it IS legal for people to hold a maximum of two creatures, modified for defence in case they come across rogues whilst travelling and the like.

Well, thats all I can bring up for the moment. Thoughts? Suggestions? Why you like it? Why you hate it? What the square root of 20444.7 is?
Lazarus Lightward, Elite Diabolist of the Brotherhood - Level 3 Occultist
Deathpriest Noxx, Herald of Eternal Silence – Level 2 Necromancer
STR: 2 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 12 | INT: 13

Strolenite Relic, resurfaced.

Online EchoMirage

• Caffeinated Alcoholic Blood
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Golden Creator NPC Guild Master Questor Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Awards
a bowl of chips
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004, 12:59:34 AM »
As I see it - you have one basic problem - you can only play humans in a party, as the races will be enemies on sight - there is NO way for them to co-exist...potential for conflict is good, but unavoidable conflict less so.

The second thought: If this is supposed to be fantasy, I'd rather make the way of evolution not a chip, but rather some sort of crystal or amulet or other more fantasy-like thingie.

Otherwise - a nice case of "toying with what elf was not meant to know" ... see Byzantinian empire bringing in the turks to fight some foe or other...
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Authentic Strolenite (though spanked) (C) (R)

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
World of Chipped Things
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 01:12:48 AM »
Thoughts?
I was thinking the same thing Echo thought. Make the "chips" crystals, flat and round, like the LifeClocks from Logan's Run.  That removes the only science fiction element from your fantasy world.

Like/hate
I don't like it all that much (but I don't hate it either), because I don't see the drama in the world.  What makes this world interesting besides the chance to build a personal mosnter?  What do player characters do in this world? Player characters just waunder around and fight each other?

At least in the inspiration material, PCs are gladiators fighting their monsters.  So you have this sports/ competition theme, in addition to the hunting down of new animals to chip.  

What the square root of 20444.7 is?
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Online EchoMirage

• Caffeinated Alcoholic Blood
  • Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Medice cura te ipsum
  • Awards Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Golden Creator NPC Guild Master Questor Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • Awards
cuckoolator
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004, 02:03:11 AM »
did you notce the stupid windows calculator does NOT know how to draw a square root?

as for MoonHunters note on the characters travelling and fighting monsters, this sound too much like Pokemon to me :D
"I bet my four-armed acid spitting giant chipmunk can defeat your furry basilisk anytime!"
"Captain, the buttocks are moving from the pink into the red and purple spectrum! We cannot maintain this rate of spanking any longer!"

Authentic Strolenite (though spanked) (C) (R)

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
  • Awards 2013 Location of the Year Questor NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
Re: cuckoolator
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2004, 02:49:48 AM »
Quote from: "EchoMirage"
did you notce the stupid windows calculator does NOT know how to draw a square root?

as for MoonHunters note on the characters travelling and fighting monsters, this sound too much like Pokemon to me :D
"I bet my four-armed acid spitting giant chipmunk can defeat your furry basilisk anytime!"

You said the 'P' word! :o

This is actually just a revision of pokemon - I liked the concept of capturing and evolving creatures, but disliked everything else about pokemon. I just warped it and put a background on it.

Humans arent openly hostile to elves. They simply see them as lesser races. I suppose 'hunting them' is going a bit far :P

And many elves arent openly hostile to humans.

As for what you can do. What can you do in ANY fantasy world? Just make up any sort of plot and play it along. Any plot in Strolens citadel would be fine. This isnt supposed to be a plot in itself, just a place where things can be played, with a bit of a modified feel to it other than typical fantasy might/magic, fighter/archer/thief/mage.

Players could play as humans, or possibly an elf. Should the GM condone, a mage could be played. You could even play as a chipped human, for a twist.

For a couple plots specifically for this setting:
-Someone hired you to follow the mages into the forest to see what they do in there all the time.

-You've been hired as a freelancer to raid an illegal battle of creatures, in a certain valley at a certain night.

-You take PART in one of these creature fightings. It gets raided - flee into forest, meet elves who take you captive, get taken to elven city - be first humans to see such technology on this world, Escape, find way back through forest, explain to high powers (perhaps a mage) on what you saw and so on.

-----------------------------------------------------

Another nice twist in history would be if dwarves made the elves in a similar manner to how the elves were made, but the elves forgot :o Dwarves arent thought to exist, but if a human finds their way into some caves and meets them, it can be explained how elves came to be.

Anywho, Im rambling :) The crystals may be a good idea, but then I may have to redo the whole thing about the elven technology.

oh, and thanks for the square root of 20444.7 ;)
Lazarus Lightward, Elite Diabolist of the Brotherhood - Level 3 Occultist
Deathpriest Noxx, Herald of Eternal Silence – Level 2 Necromancer
STR: 2 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 12 | INT: 13

Strolenite Relic, resurfaced.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
World of Chipped Things
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2004, 10:13:06 AM »
In this setting I would see humans as being evil.
I mean, if you have the "chips", you can control anything, wherefore you would have a sort of 'domination' outlook on life. The humans (or most of them) might be clustered in evil empires.

I was also thinking, when I read about the elves and chips together, that this might be a virtual reality fantasy, like the Matrix, that the whole human race is trapped in. Maybe the real world is ours, in the future, but someone, or something, has put all of humanity into this fantasy world.

Last of all, I DESPISE POKEMON!
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Araith

• Guardian
    • Awards
World of Chipped Things
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2004, 12:17:39 PM »
You don't really need to create something for "PC's" to do when creating a world, though making unique classes and jobs and such wouldn't be a bad idea. You first create the world then make a story for a game. No need trying both at once :)
19:43:31 [Shadoweagle] Heya - your not moderator anymore, Araith?

19:43:40 [Araith] Nope

19:43:50 [Araith] I 'accidentaly' Deleted the site.

19:43:56 [Araith] So I got demoted.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
World of Chipped Things
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2004, 02:50:01 PM »
But the point of the world is for PCs to play in it.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
World of Chipped Things
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2004, 01:26:39 AM »
Quote from: "Araith"
You don't really need to create something for "PC's" to do when creating a world, though making unique classes and jobs and such wouldn't be a bad idea. You first create the world then make a story for a game. No need trying both at once :)

So we are creating a wonderderful background for a story that will have no drama. You say "So?"  I say, "Let me give you an example"  

Every been a vacation with nothing to do?  Sure, you are in this great new place, but after you have checked out the initial sights (lets say that takes two days), what do you do?  Do I hear nothing... or puttering around?  Without something to do, or a direction to go in (I'm on the beach, so I will hang out there for a few hours... each day... until I am bored of it), you get bored, tired, and want to go home (or if your my family you snipe at each other until someone breaksdown in tears... then wait a little while and do it again... but lets not bring my family into it.)  

Get the picture?  

If players in either a table top or forum game do not have a direction, they will just ignore the game.  For a forum game, they will post a time or two (one of those introducing a character) and wonder what's next. For a table top game, they will go through the motions and wait for the GM to throw something at them.  They automatically must take a defensive position, or be given additional motivation, else they will just hang around and do nothing.  In short, either game will peter out from lack of interest. Don't believe me?  Check out any forum RPG that does not give player's specific conflicts built into the world, or direction to play in... hmmm kind of like most of the forum games here on Strolen's or www.rpg.net or the keep ... You will see games that are started and died. Dozens of them. Archives of them.  

EAch game world forms a setting for a campaign (where one troupe of character plods around the setting).  The setting needs to support a variety of adventures, or give specific directions on what kind of adventures to run in it.  For example... World War I trenches... you can only run combat missions punctuated with a little soap opera. It would be very hard to run a good murder mystery or find the mcguffin plot in the trench setting.  If you create a setting where the backdrop has conflicts between countries and certain avenuesof adventure (epsionage, contraband running, exploration), then you have a setting. Imagine a game set in 1910-1929 with all the material you would need to either fight WWI as a grunt/ pilot/ spy, run contraband (guns to war areas, alcohol to the US), explore Africa or certain exotics part of town. Even if your game focuses on one aspect (lets say WWI trench warfare, your background should give us various avenues to explore).  You begin to see what I am getting at?

The outline he have given us, gives us little or nothing to go on.  It is comprehensive enough that it should.  I think that absence is what we are most complaining about.

So what do we do with these critter?
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©