llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: "Demon Winter"  (Read 50102 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline The_Warlock

• Journeyman
    • Awards
"Demon Winter"
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2004, 03:37:01 PM »
Bear chuckles at Seraph's proclamations.  "Your skills could still be of use to us.  If you decide to join us your more than welcome.  Or you could just stay here under the protection of the village and wait for more of the demons to attack.  The choice is yours."   Bear looks around at the gathered adventurers and nods his head once more as if he finally excepts the group.  "Let us go downstairs into the cellar.  The place to which we travel, is a 5 day hike up the dwarven anvil.  Beyond the threat from the demons is the local denzians that live in these treacherous mountains.  We must gather supplies from the storage in the cellar and there is something more I wish for you to all see!"  He motions for them to follow him through the kitchen door.  As they all form up around Bear in the kitchen, Bear slams the butt of his ax down on the floor three times and mumbles, "Vunlock".  A brilliant white flash can be seen on the floor as it spreads to outline a square hatch.  Reaching down with a grunt Bear pulls open the magical door that moments ago, did not exist.  He is the first down the hole.  As you all finish your desent into the basement, you will be shocked at what you see.  From wall to wall in the chamber your standing in, are weapons of every type and make.  From the torch light, you can see that each weapon glows with masterful craftsmenship.  Travel cloaks, footwear, tunics, leggings, leather armor, plate armor of every make and type also can be found in this room.  Aden will recognize the workmanship, for this cache of weapons was a gift from the elves themselves, ceturies ago.  "You may all select what you need for this trip.  I have packs already made up with foodstuffs for the campaign to the lair and back.  Additonal waterskins, vials, pouches and the like can also be found in here." He chuckles to himself.  "I just became aware of this basements existance, seconds before I brought you down here.  Like I said before, it will all come clear to me as we go along.  Again, please feel free to browse through the armory and select what you need.  Please don't dally, as time is growing short and I wish to be on our way before dawn.  It is now three hours till sunrise.  You have 2 hours to prepare.  I will see to the packs."  With the last being stated, Bear moves off towards a side doorway which leads to the basement pantry and begins preparing the packs.
OOC:  I designed this part for you all to work your imaginations.  Please describe what weaponry, armor, cloaks, etc that you choose to take.  Note:  nothing is magical, just made with the utmost perfection of the elven smiths. For all intents and puposes; these weapons are indestructible.  Also, one of my villains has control over ICE because he is my villain and that is the way I choose him to be.  For lack of anyones better imagination, you could use the shallow character of Subzero from Mortal Kombat as your point of reference if my descriptions aren't good enough.  But be warned, he far surpasses that weak example.  Enjoy!
"How is it that you claim me to be an assassin..(paused in thought)....have I killed you before?"\

"Beware the faceless...for he only deals in souls and riches."

Offline Alec_Shadowkin

• Minor Count of Creative Endeavors
  • Guardian
    • Awards
"Demon Winter"
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2004, 03:45:24 PM »
Gerrard looks around the room in amazement. Elven craftmenship has always been an astounding sight to lay eyes upon, and this time was no different. He slowly walked across the room, examining the weapons and clothing. He selected a plain blue cloak so dark it was almost black. This he slipped over his shoulders as he continued walking. Suddenly his eyes widened. He reached out and grasped the shaft of a beautifully made spear. It appeared made of ebony, though it was light as a feather. The head was a thin diamond with two small curves coming off the sides. He smiled to himself as he twirled the spear in his hand for a moment. "This is all I will take. My chemicals will provide the rest of my armament." He swiftly walked out of the room and upstairs to rejoin Bear.
Authentic Strolenite©

- "You're Hells Angels, then? What chapter are you from?"
- REVELATIONS, CHAPTER SIX.

-- Death in conversation with a biker (Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, Good Omens)

Offline DarkShadow

• Apprentice
    • Awards
"Demon Winter"
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2004, 04:17:58 PM »
(Sorry, i posted in the wrong forum for some reason)
Rock may break, Ice may melt, and Fire may suffocate, but in the end Darkness consumes all, and so, it shall consume You.

Offline Nobody

• Strolenati
  • Master
  • Awards Questor Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
"Demon Winter"
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2004, 08:46:47 PM »
Seraph's eyes lit up. When this was all over, he would have to find a way back in here so that he might be able to plunder this room blind. certainly the items in here were very useful. And more useful was that crossbow he saw on the wall. Small, light, thin, and powerful. He had seen ones made in other places. they were considered fine handywork, but until now, he had not the ability to get his hands on one. he even had the arrow converter that he needed to made the bolts work to his advantage. A new cloak would be nice. The only problem would be color. White would be useful in snow, but black would be useful in caves. Grey was not so much needed now that his fur no longer needed to be concealed. Just in case he never could get his way back here, he grabbed a few small jewel encrusted items, and hid them in his bottom-most cape. He had decided to take two three capes. One was black, one was white, one was grey. all were extremely thin, but surprisingly warm. and in the waether, all would be needed. he also fitted himself with clothing that fit him, but still did not take off the wraps that served as his shoes, of which there were plenty. More useful he found, were the ingrediants. Exotic foods lined an entire shelf. But food could be used for more than eating. He quickly spotted those which would be most useful, and stuffed those too into his bag. As for other gear, he took only basic clothing, as well as darts. Lots of darts. The weapons that Seraph carried were for a special purpose, not the standard ones used for combat.
"I am just a figment of my imagination" -"Loki", Illusionist Trickster

Offline Adel

• King
    • Awards
"Demon Winter"
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2004, 11:33:06 PM »
Aden still slightly abashed by Seraph's Comment about her, walked slowly across the room, even she who had been surrounded by elven craftmenship her entire life was amazed at what was set before her. her eyes traveled over everypiece of weaponry until her eyes fell upon a longbow made entirely of the purest silver she had ever seen. its graceful curves ended with a spiral at its tip and at this spirals center was a single jade leaf, the mark of the wood elves. It was strong and sturdy yet light as a feather and easy to manuever.. Eyeing Seraph closely she wondered how poor he would think she is if she were to land an Ice arrow upon his arrogant head.She would keep the cloak that her father gave to her, she would however need some new chain mail as well as new clothes and boots for traveling in the gown she wore now would not suit her in mountain climbing. She quickly found some brown leather trousers on and a simple white traveling shirt. she found some boots to fit even her small  feet she gathered extra socks and gloves and placed them in a leather pouch she found also embriodered with the wood elf insignia. " Now to find a daggar, some kind of short sword, some climbing equipment, and ah yes I mustn't forget a quiver full of beatiful silver headed arrows to match my bow." She quickly found all she needed and grabbed it all to take it to the quarters she had paid for to bathe and change," goodness know when I shall next see a bath." After she finished she came down to enjoy a hot meal and await the others.
Adel
a simple girl with a complex past

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline The_Warlock

• Journeyman
    • Awards
"Demon Winter"
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2004, 12:40:14 PM »
As everyone is finishing up their preparation, Bear begins handing out their packs.  You'll notice his pack is gigantic.  "I have all the extra water and foodstuffs we'll need in my pack.  The weight will not hamper me." he camly states.  Outside I have outfitted a small sled filled with the rest of the supplies we will need, to include climbing gear, hundreds of feet of rope, lanterns and medical supplies.  Tree, he points to the huge man standing off to the side, will acompany us on this campaign.  He will be pulling the sled and assisting with camp security.  He's as good a man as any, but was not blessed with the greatest of minds.  He is nothing more than a boy in that department.  Nonetheless, he will join us and pick up his fair share of the work."  As you take note of Tree, he stands at 6'8", weighing approx 350lbs.  He is a hulking speciment of a man.  Solid muscle from head to toe.  Strapped to his back is a massive warhammer.  He has a brown hair and eyes and a bushy beard and mustache to match.  Tree is wearing a full set of white furs, which adds to his monstrous appearance.  If one were looking at Tree from a distance, they would swear they were observing a Tundra Yetti.  Tree smiles to the group as his name is spoken and a little drool escapes his lower lip.  "Make sure the sled is ready Tree.  We depart shortly." Bear instructs.  Tree nods and moves outside the inn to see to the sled.  "Now" Bear is cut off by the blast of a horn which is answered by several more throughout the village.  "Dammit!" exclaims Bear.  "I had hoped to leave before something like this happened.  d**ned vile creatures!  We must try to slip away.  Everyone hurry and meet out front by the sled."  Seeing there confused and worried faces, Bear addresses the group.  "The Ice Goblins and their allies the Gnolls are attacking the village.  It is an annual event.  They see the freezing and blockage of the passes as our villages vunlerable point for attack.  They will conduct hit and run operations for the entire winter I'm afraid.  We will have to skirt their patrols for the first two days of our travels.  Now hurry!  We must leave the village before my people seal it up for the upcoming battle.  
NOTE:  The village is completely surrounded by a 20ft pine tree wall.  There is a front and back gate with towers spread out equally around the entire perimeter wall.  The wall has been chemically treated to ward off fire, and spellcast runes protect the wall from firebased attack spells.
You can all hear the towns people raising the alarm and orders being issued.  A village warrior enters the inn and addresses Bear directly.  "You must leave now sir, we are preparing to seal both gates.  The gnolls have been spotted all along our perimeters and the goblin drums beat ever closer.  This is the biggest attack we've seen in a decade." as an after thought he adds, "Something just doesn't seem right sir!  The back gate will remain open for you to make good on your escape.  Good luck sir.  We will hold out until your return!"  With that, the village warrior pats Tree on the arm and runs off to his post.  Bear turns to eveyone in the group and relates, "We leave now.  We must break the Gnolls perimeter and gain the protection of the valley forest.  They will attempt to stop us or set ambushes.  Is everyone ready?!  Good.  Lets move out. "  Bear and the rest of the group reach the back gate and stare at the 100 yards of open space between the gate and the forest.  "The archers will cover us as best they can.  Anyone have any ideas about this crossing?  Strategy, anyone?"  He waits for a reply.
"How is it that you claim me to be an assassin..(paused in thought)....have I killed you before?"\

Offline Alec_Shadowkin

• Guardian
    • Awards
"Demon Winter"
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2004, 03:51:36 PM »
Gerrard smiles and reaches into his coat pockets, pulling out a half dozen small vials. He grasps one in his right hand and holds the rest in his left.

"Just run, this'll keep us covered."

He suddenly lobs a vial to the left almost 50 feet. As soon as it hits the snow, a massive explosion sends water, and smoke flying everywhere.

"Run!!"

He continues to throw more vials as he begins to run across the clearing....
Authentic Strolenite©

-- Death in conversation with a biker (Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, Good Omens)

Offline Nobody

• Strolenati
  • Master
    • Awards
"Demon Winter"
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2004, 06:14:35 PM »
Seraph, being of extremely small stature, simply jumps onto the back of the sled and hitches a ride.

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
  • Awards Questor 2013 Location of the Year NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
"Demon Winter"
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2004, 07:32:15 PM »
Tsurin had been decidedly quiet for some time, simply listening into the conversations, lapping up knowledge. In his right hand was a new quarterstaff, made of the finest wood and inlaid with silver fillagree. He had also picked out a fresh belt of balanced daggers - 5 in total, to make his collection eight. Other than that, he got nothing else - no armor. He was fully suited, otherwise. The man chuckled softly as the alchemist began throwing his concoctions into the snow to create cover, and he ran forward at the same pace as him, idly sliding his gloves back on his hands.
Lazarus Lightward, Elite Diabolist of the Brotherhood - Level 3 Occultist
Deathpriest Noxx, Herald of Eternal Silence – Level 2 Necromancer
STR: 2 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 12 | INT: 13

Strolenite Relic, resurfaced.

Offline The_Warlock

• Journeyman
    • Awards
"Demon Winter"
« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2004, 07:54:05 AM »
As they reach the 75yard mark, hundreds of black arrows fill the sky in front of them.  For the most part they are badly aimed and land harmlessly behind the group.  All except on arrow, a finely made green wooden shafted arrow.  The tip made of fine steel and with razor sharp edges.  This particular arrow, ends up grazing Gerrard's shin causing him to go down in a heap.  Though the missile missed it's true target, the slight hit was enough to trip up the alchemist.  To the groups left, through the wafting smoke caused by Gerrard's vials, a score of heavily armed gnolls can be seen breaking through the line of smoke.  They are growling and snapping their jaws in anticipation of the hunt.  The score of gnolls is running directly for the stalled group.  Bear seems shocked at something.  "They are never this organized?!" he shouts.  "Look, they attack us in a wedge formation!  We must break them up before they reach us and charge right through us."  Bear looks at the group to see if any have a strategy they would like to share with the group.  The gnolls are 50ft away and closing fast.  There is no chance of outrunning them.  The group must fight the patrol off to gain the cover of the forest.

Offline Nobody

• Strolenati
  • Master
    • Awards
"Demon Winter"
« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2004, 08:24:25 AM »
"Kill the leader. Who fired that arrow? You know, the expensive one" said Seraph as he snatched the arrow up from the ground.  This would sell for a lot of money. "Adel, your an Elf, howabout you use those eyes and bow of yours to kill whoever fired that thing...or are you too timid to do that as well?" As he said this he pulled out his crossbow and mounted a bolt that had a dart on the front. "(although a nice windstorm would also be handy)" he mumbled under his breath. He fired the bolt at th first goblin he could see and started mounting his only other prepared bolt. "hey, can those potions be fired by a crossbow?" he asked the chemist

Offline Adel

• King
    • Awards
"Demon Winter"
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2004, 11:45:31 PM »
OOC: sorry I have beenout so long been a long week! UMM Nobody remember I am going by Aden for this adventure, It was originally a typo but I kinda like it! Also you have thouroghly described the kind of formation but what are we up against ratio wise

IC: Aden quickly takes a arrow out of her quiver and looks for the leader, "They trully are uniform they are also loyal and smart. I can not make out a leader, there he wears no different than the rest so he can not be distinguished as the leader by an attacking force." after saying this Aden quickly began randomly shooting her arrows with both speed and accuacy, at the gnolls she then comes across a one of them making crude hand gestures to the others, the others seemed not to hessitate at this ones command believing this one to be the leader she reaches once again into her quiver, falling victim to disbelief would there journey end before it really began? "No" she said mumbled to herself "maybe I could finally do something right" disbeleif no longer present in her eyes she sent an arrow that seemed to be pushed and guided by the very wind in which it flew, he fell with a solid thud upon the cold frozen earth.
Adel

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Alec_Shadowkin

• Guardian
    • Awards
"Demon Winter"
« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2004, 12:05:12 AM »
Gerrard clambered to his feet as quickly as he could. d**n, but that leg hurt. He could still walk on it though, so he counted himself lucky.
"Not these here, but these can." He reaches into his coat and pulls out half a dozen smaller vials, each shaped like a tiny ellipse, with a metal clasp for attaching it to the bolts. "These three are explosive, these three release a poisonous gas." He hands them over then lobs the last two of the explosive vials into the oncoming gnolls, hoping to break their formation. As soon as the last one leaves his hand, he pulls his spear from his back and readies himself, praying he won't have to use his most powerful potion...
Authentic Strolenite©

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
  • Awards Questor 2013 Location of the Year NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
"Demon Winter"
« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2004, 12:49:03 AM »
Quote from: "The_Warlock"
a score of heavily armed gnolls can be seen breaking through the line of smoke.

OOC: Theres your answer I think, Adel :) Unless I am mistaken, a 'score' is 30.

IC:
Tsurins gaze slid across the field as the skirmish ensued, watching his comrades. Almost casually, the blue-clad man sidestepped to get out of the way of a poorly crafted arrow, shot by one of the creatures. Whilst Aden sought to strike out the leader, Tsurin decided it would be very advantageous if he were to wipe out some of the quantity of their foes. So, taking a few steps back to get behind most of his allies and out of the worst firing range, Tsurin half-lidded his eyes, whilst they slowly altered in hue,  whitening to a glowing brightness as reflective as the very snow at their feet. Whilst his right hand is pressed firmly against his upper stomach where his ribs are still bruised, his left shifted, unclenching from a fist to a straight, palm-down gesture. Whilst calling upon the reserves of magical energy within himself and in the nearby area, his left hand shifts in a semicircular arc, fingers pointing towards the feet of the majority of the gnolls. As his fingers pointed in that arc, the snow where he pointed at beneath the creatures feet abruptly shifted and moved as heat quickly coressed the ground. In the span of perhaps ten seconds, that solid snow would alter, melting rapidly into water, some two or three feet deep. Of course, for the gnolls what were aware of what was happening in time, they would be able to back up to safety, but those intent on their battle may not notice until they have sunk into a pool of icy water, and that heavy armour they are wearing would certainly not help. Once Tsurin had finished his spell, of course, that water would quickly begin to freeze over in the harsh temperature of the lands. Unfortunately, however, whilst Tsurin performs this ability, he is completely defenseless - all attention is focussed on the spell, and he would be an easy, immobile target for a good 10-20 seconds.

Offline The_Warlock

• Journeyman
    • Awards
"Demon Winter"
« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2004, 11:28:39 AM »
OOC:  A score is 20.  But keep in mind, this is more or less what the group can see breaking through the smokey veil...more could be charging as well.  They just aren't close enough.  

IC:  Aden's skill with a bow was certainly on showcase for her fellow companions.  Every arrow hit it's mark with skillfull accuracy.  Aden's shots knocked 5 gnolls out of the fight to include the one issuing orders.  For her efforts, somewhere to the right of the charging gnolls another green shafted arrow slams home. This time, inside Aden's left shoulder.  The pain will be terrible for the elf maiden.  Gerrard's explosives do the job and two more gnoll fall dead in mid stride.  The remaining 12 gnolls continue their charge until Thengal's spell takes hold.  Instantly the 6 confused gnolls fall into the icey water and begin to flail about.  Their roar is driven by both pain and fear.  The 6 remaining gnolls turn tail and run back behind the smokey cover.  Bear seeing the lull, turns towards Aden and without asking, grabs her and places her on the sled.  "Everyone, to the trees.  Now!"  Bear makes for the cover of the forest treeline and ensures everyone begins to follow.  Tree pulls hard on the sled and is able to keep pace with the group.  Concern is etched on the guardian's face as he looks down at Aden's nasty wound.  "We will treat that as soon as we find a suitable resting spot.  We must lose our enemies.  They will give up on the chase soon as their full strength will be directed on the village assault.  Hold on m'lady!  Keep an eye out men, that assassin is still out there.  We can't afford another going down to one of those deadly arrows."  As Bear finishes his last statement the group picks up the pace winding through the dark forest.  About a half mile in, Bear rounds a corner and nearly runs headlong into a goblin patrol.  Stopping on his heels, he places his fist in the air calling for the group to halt and seek cover.  As the group peers from cover, they will see, 17 heavily armed goblins.  Five of them are sentries around the camp as the others are gearing up for the mornings assault.  As the group observes, another goblin, this one dressed in black leathers, covered by a loose black cloak, breeches the camp ring.  He begins issuing gutteral commands.  The group can clearly see the black wooden bow and a quiver of green shafted arrows on his back.  Bear whispers to the group, "any suggestions?  We must get around this patrol somehow.  We should be clear once we are past them."  Bear quietly awaits a reply.

Offline Adel

• King
    • Awards
"Demon Winter"
« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2004, 11:51:25 PM »
"The trees are high in this area of the forest, perhaps if we were to climb the trees and merely wait for them to pass along." Aden gasped as she spoke these words her injury pulsating with every breath, "Look,we have two injured and one that may still be weak from such a powerful display of magic, I feel a head long battle with these creatures would spell suicide. Seraph, The white cloak you took from the basement of the inn is it big enough to hide the seld under? We could cover it with that and then a bit of brush to keep them form trampling it, We could climb those evergreen trees for cover and if we are discovered we will still hold the advantage with arrows and magic," Aden glances nervously at the others would they except her rudimentary plan...
Adel

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Nobody

• Strolenati
  • Master
    • Awards
"Demon Winter"
« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2004, 08:09:01 AM »
Seraph almost laughed at the idea that a cloak that would fit a 3"9 rat would be big enough to cover a sled.

"Howabout you guys go hide some place, and i take these potions and go mess up that sniper"

Seraph worked his way around the small encampment. He had an exploding and a gas potion fit to the end of a bolt. and another bolt prepared with a poison that would cause uncontrollable muscle spasms, that would resemble a seizure. It was one of his stronger poisons, although he did have one that would kill a man in less time than a minute. He was saving that one for a rainy day.

His plan, was to let fly with the first bolt at the ground next to the sniper. that would cause an explosion, and gas to fill the area. Then shoot the sniper with his poison bolt, that he had prepared a few moments ago, while everybody was confused from the gas and explosion. Then, unless a new opportunity presented itself, he would hide, which Seraph was a master at doing. Maybe his skills would come in handy. Meanwhile the others would remain unseen, if they did not do anything stupid. He was on the opposite side of the group, so nobody should see them, and he would be up a tree in less time than Aden could fire an arrow. If anybody saw him up the tree, he was still an expert marksman with his poison darts, not to mention the extra potions that he still had from the alchemist

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
    • Awards
"Demon Winter"
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2004, 09:08:05 AM »
Tsurin gave a ragged cough, though masked his mouth with his gloved hands so as not to make noise enough for any foes to hear him. Aden was right - He had exherted himself with that spell, and the weight of his bruised body, plus the drainage of his tampering with climates was beginning to take its toll on him. Thusly, he took no move for the moment barring moving to rest against a tree whilst the elven woman voiced her thoughts on how to take the next actions. Truthfully, he was glad for the rat-mans suggestion to remain hidden - it would give the climatical mage some time to rest for future exhertions. "Perhaps we should let our small ally to try what he has planned. Should things get messy, we could step in then..." He Exhaled heavily before shifting one hand down to grasp two of his daggers, removing them from the hilt and idly tossing them between hands - Should things turn ugly, he could perhaps give Seraph a bit of cover and confusion to add: A ranged attack from another angle. But for the moment - rest, and waiting.

Offline Alec_Shadowkin

• Guardian
    • Awards
"Demon Winter"
« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2004, 01:26:29 PM »
Gerrard beathed heavily, trying to catch his breath. He still wasn't entirely healed from the three days lost in the snow, and all this running was getting to him. He nodded as the elf-woman suggested they stay hidden for the minute, and then nodded again when Seraph gave his thoughts. He idly reached into his coat and grasped  the potion in his upper left pocket. The most powerful concoction he had.... and it terrified him. He had only used it twice before, but its results were.... messy. Gerrard grimaced remembering his two uses. He shook his head. He would have to use it in this sooner or later, of that he was certain, but he wanted to wait until they had no other choice, and this wasn't yet the time.
Authentic Strolenite©

Offline Adel

• King
    • Awards
"Demon Winter"
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2004, 11:39:18 PM »
Aden noted the small stature of Seraph and gave a slight grin, She could have made it work, but she would not argue her piont partly because she felt that he was completely able to do as he suggested and partly because her breaths were now short and rapid. She beckoned the others to the trees and began to help Tsurin with her good arm up in to the closest evergreen tree, she took off her cloak and tied it loosely around the lowest bough " put your foot in here and use it for a boost you'll need to climb to at least the sixth bough if you can't manage any higher once up there wrap your cloak around you carefull that nothing shiny is showing, make yourself comfortable so that you won't have to move we don't know how long we will be in these trees but we don't want to draw attention to ourselves by movement." Her breaths were now ragged and harsh. Gerrard you next Again go only as high as you can but try to make it to a branch below Tsurin. Bear and Tree will you help them quickly in to the tree. I shall return momentarily, She quickly with the strength she had left chased after Seraph hoping she could find him before he began his attack. Luckily there just outside the encampment she saw him crouching low seemingly formualting a plan. As Aden apporached him she fell in the snow her energy quickly fading, " Seraph" she whispered not allowing him time enough to respond she continued, "As you leave I willl ask the snow to hide your footprints should you loose your way and need to find us, take this whistle. Only someone with ears as sharp as an elves will hear it so you may use it to call for aide or to find your way back to us. Do not worry I shall ask the snow to clean up the blood that has fallen as well as cover any footprints left behind , May you be quick and victorious." at saying this and giving a slight bow Aden turned and And released a slow ragged breath. As she had once done in the tavern she mouthed words yet not a sound left her lips the blood stained snow returned to its purest state and as she slowly made her assent back to the tree in which the others waited the footprints she made vanished behind her,
Adel

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Nobody

• Strolenati
  • Master
    • Awards
"Demon Winter"
« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2004, 06:53:29 PM »
As she wispered her words of help, and handed him a whistle, he handed her a vial.
"Put it on your wound, and be quick about it. I dont need you trailing anymore blood about here" he wispered in a scolding tone.

Dispite the tone, he was not quite sure what to make of the gesture. He had spotted her earlier giving him a glance that he had seen hundreds and hundreds of times before. It did not match her actions here. Still, it might also be survival, he wasn't sure.

The potion was great stuff. It hurt like a !@$#@ but it did wonders. It literally cauterized wounds and killed any infections and most poisons. He had "discovered" the recipe once while "visiting" an alchemist. The man was searching for a cure-all. Seraph did not stick around long enough to find out if the alchemist found one. It was definately a good thing that Gerrard did not remember him from that day. Seraph had been worried that he would be recognized, but it was seemingly not so. Even still, Seraph had to make sure his eye did not leave the alchemist for a second, nor Aden for that matter. There had been more than one deception that Seraph had overcome by not letting his gaurd down, and if this was one of them, he would certainly not be foolish about it. Bear atleast seemed very genuine. Possibly even nice...and naturally so.

He let Percy, his trained rat, out of it's pouch, who promptly scurried up a tree. Did not want him getting hurt. No knowing how messy this was about to get.

OOC: Warlock, buddy, i need you to tell me if Seraph was spotted or anything. he should not have been, but that is not the point. Anyway, tell us what happened so we can continue. If Seraph does not detect that the enemy has seen him, then just put my plan in to action automatically. I will edit this out once you have posted.

OOC:Also, in case anobody did not notice, my character is already on the complete opposite side of the enemy encampment in relation to the rest of you guys. In other words, no more walking up to my character before he leaves. He has already left.

Offline Adel

• King
    • Awards
"Demon Winter"
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2004, 09:46:11 PM »
She quickly climbed to the branch just above Tsurin untying her cloak as she did so and wrapping it closely about her.She carefully considered the potion given to her only moments ago by Seraph. Though Aden's instinct told her not to use a potion given to her by some one she had only met the day before, realized that if they really were the chosen five then trust must be formed between them, She took the potion and poured half  the contents upon her wound, she had to bite her lip to keep from screaming the pain was more than she thought any could bare, had she been fool enough to except this gift, her arms and legs began to weaken under her wieght they began to tingle and feel heavy... her knees buckled and she had to struggle not to fall carefully she lowered her self to a position in which she felt secure, now hugging the branch on which she lay she caught a glimpse of her wound, it however was begining to heal from the inside out, It was as though the healing process had just been accelerated at a phenomenal rate.  She could feel the pioson that must have been deep layed inside the wound begin to seep out, slowly her arm began to gain feeling once more the blinding pain was receding, I have to get this to Gerrard perhaps his wound could be healed as well. That would leave us with one person not yet ready for battle, Seeing Gerard two branches below her she began her decent.
Adel

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline The_Warlock

• Journeyman
    • Awards
"Demon Winter"
« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2004, 01:39:34 PM »
Seraph had made it easily to the other side of camp without the enemy detecting him.  Truly, it was a wonder the camp even found it necessary to have guards placed due to the fact that the village was fully surrounded.  This fact led the guards to be complacent in their duties and most were either sleeping or daydreaming.  Bear, not knowing how he knew, began to understand what the sniper was saying.  Could it be more of his mysterious past unfolding.  He never knew goblin before!  He tried to listen in again......."tis true, earth wizard arrived on other side of...he will summon magical beasts to destroy village walls...tis the will of da master..it tis...now, make ready the patrol to march...we leave in five....."  Gas began to cloud the camp and goblins began coughing and running about grasping their chests.  Looking around in dismay, the sniper reached up to his neck as Bear saw a wave of smoke cover his form.  When the way was again clear, the sniper lay dead in the snow.  The rest of his comrades began running in all directions trying to escape the killing poison gas.  Bear couldn't help but smile as one goblin ran too close to the group.  Tree hunched down by the sled reached out one massive arm and grasped a goblin by the throat.  Lifting it easily into the air, he slammed the goblin against the tree trunk with deadly results.  The now limp goblin body, fell from Tree's grasp and he quickly covered it with snow.  As Bear looked back, the camp was now deserted!  "Well done Seraph...and he said we wouldn't be needing him...hah!" laughed the big man.  "Quickly now, we must move past this camp and get some distance between us and the village.  Their fate is now left upon the shoulders of the village warriors.  May the gods protect their souls."  Bear gave Tree a nod and they both began moving past the camp with the others in tow.  The group moved on for the rest of the day, stopping for short breaks and cheerless meals.  Unknown to the group, was about two hours after they left the destroyed campsite, two darkly clad figures had emerged from the forest and had begun an investigation of the scene.  After 30 minutes of scouring the campsite the two conferred.  With nods of agreement, one reached into the folds of his cloak and produced a black whistle.  With a slight blow, a ring of red glowing eyes surrounded the camp.  "Come forward slave!", ordered the dark clad figure with the orange glowing eyes.  From the cover of the forest emerged a 7 foot tall werewolf.  Cantering over, it dropped to all fours in front of the two figures and growled it's submission.  The werewolf was covered in thick black fur and seemed unpleased to be in the Dark Elemental's presence.  "Why have you summoned me and my children, dark onesss!" the leader of the werewolves asked.  "Do you have the scent of the guardian!?" asked the Firemage.  "yess, we do!" replied the lead werewolf.  "Good Lyrid, track him and his group down...and slaughter them to the last man!  You have your orders slave....do not fail us!"  As the Firemage finished his order and threat, he joined the other elemental and together they faded to mist and were gone.  With a roar of anger, the werewolves took off on the trail of the guardian and his fold.  
(back to Bear and the group)....."Halt everyone." Bear whispered.  Everyone seemed to slump in unison.  "Let us make camp and set up the watches for the evening.  We will conduct camp security in teams of two, three hour shifts."  Bear walks over to Tree and begins helping him unpack the sled.  "Who wants to go first and how should we set up the camp?" Bear asks over his shoulder.

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
    • Awards
"Demon Winter"
« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2004, 07:05:17 PM »
The uneventful walk had actually aided Tsurin's stamina, in that the magical tiredness of his spellcasting had all but faded. His body was barely sore anymore either and if anything, he felt energetic once more. Due to this, he opted to be one of the first watch. "I may not have the sharpest eyes of the group, but I know this terrain better than any. My homelands are the northern icy tundra, and I have hunted often there. I can often spot even camouflaged creatures." Tsurin rested his quarterstaff near the center of the camp - he wouldnt be needing it for a while - and he removed two of his throwing daggers from his belt before sitting cross-legged several meters away, the coldness of the snow not bothering him in the slightest. Should they make a campfire, he would be just out of the ring of light, thus aiding his night-vision.

Offline Nobody

• Strolenati
  • Master
    • Awards
"Demon Winter"
« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2004, 08:15:47 PM »
"I will also take first watch"said Seraph, "I am the least fatigued. And besides, you could use a good set of ears."

It was true. Of everybody in the group, Seraph was the only one who had not traveled on foot, taking instead the sled which Tree was carrying behind him. He instead had used the time to turn the arrows that he had taken from what he was now refering to as "The Jade Sniper" into bolts for his crossbow, snapping off the heads and using his bolt converter (which resembles a pencil sharpener) to allow him to quickly screw on a dart onto the tip.

Seraphs intentions, however, were far from altruistic. For starters, he needed to prepare his poisons. for that, he needed not only time alone, but a campfire as well. If he waited too far into the night, the fire would die, and his opportunity would be lost. Second, he was fully intending on Sending Percy to investigate the contents of everybody's bags, starting with Gerrard. But he needed everybody sleeping for that. As it were with double watches, he would only be able to investigate the bags of those on the side of camp opposite Tsurin, where the fire would interrupt his gaze. Another reason not to have a dead fire once Seraph took watch. Furthermore it would be best if everybody slept while they were immediately fatigued from the long walk, instead of later in the night when one of them might wake up in the middle of the night, to find His rat snooping around in their bag. Not that anybody would probably even realize that Percy was not innocently looking for food. If such an instance should occure, Seraph could always pretend to scold Percy, and then apologize.

Meanwhile however, Seraph had already made himself at home. Remains of his discarded food were lying around him with Percy, his pet rat, chewing on the remains. Various small ornate objects were lying around discarded from what he had taken from The Jade Sniper. His stack of bolts were lying next to him. Neither the mess nor the smell was very attractive.

OOC:i need to know if Seraph found anything useful on The Jade Sniper's body. He would not recognize enchantments by sight, only by effect, so he may well have discarded something of value. But money, jewels, anything else of value and anything that looks ornate, he would have taken. And,  for future reference, if there is a valuable item in the vicinity that is ungaurded, you can pretty much assume that Seraph will take it. Although, he would certainly not be unwary for traps or ambushes. Just keep in mind that he is always looking for anything of value, so if there is a resonable chance it would be seen, then my character should be more likely to spot it.