llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: StoryPath- an RP system proposal **  (Read 9321 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
Other people's thoughts.
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2004, 02:11:10 AM »
http://www.openroleplaying.org/discussions/show.cgi?group=6&post=4376

Given this week and the number of students on the site, I am going to assume that nobody is spending much time on the site (or many other sites).    I am still looking for opinions and ideas that can help me shape this new version of the rules, before I impliment them.  SO

READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME! READ ME!
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Questor Locations Guild Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
StoryPath- an RP system proposal
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2004, 03:14:25 AM »
I still carry the 38 pages back and forth from home to work expecting some time to fall into my lap. I did abuse my last few days off with the site rebuild though, so mostly my fault, but it is on my list.

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Article Guild Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
I got another review....
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2004, 03:33:48 AM »
http://shadowdark.org/ib/ikonboard.cgi?s=2f8e47d3ea710ba584f222acbc12ffc9;act=ST;f=6;t=211;st=0;&#entry4

or if you don't want the link (But the board really needs some traffic)

Re: Brad SuperAdmin

3.5 - is this a list of fatigue points or what?  If fatigue I would say that the full plate armor from the High Middle ages was less fatiguing than the chain mail of ~1150 AD.  But I'm not sure if this is what you intend.

What do you like about it?
What do you hate about it?
What did not make sense?
What would you use it for?

Like: It's fast, but still more fleshed out then, let's say, Risus.  If you know the rules as a GM you could get people playing very quickly once they have a character.

Hate: Hate is too strong.  Like most story telling games some players might get hung up on Chapters and having to think up a personal history.  I think a good GM can help them through it but it might slow character creation.

Not make Sense: See my question above with section 3.5

Usage:  I could see it used on forums boards, pbem and any online venue.  If I was playing with my old freinds I thinkk we would still use AD&D 1 Ed. (or Gods and Monsters) but if I wanted to introduce some novices to RPG in an afternoon this would be excellent.

I like the idea of plugins.

I would try hard to NOT make it any longer.  

It's very well written and well thought out.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Shameless Bump
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2005, 04:07:56 PM »
I was thinking of reworking this game.

1) Attempting to make it shorter, but if I do that it will be less complete. Rereading DUEL and trying to incorporate that level of simplicity.

2) Revise way Aspect Traits work, having them count as automatic Ds matching the skill, up to the skill's level. So a DEX 3D and a Sword 1D character would be 2D, while a DEX 1D and Sword 3D would be 4D, while a DEX 4D and Sword 3D would be 6D.

3) Rework how we do traits, and explain chapters of a character's life better.

the Introduction
http://www.strolen.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=20507#20507
(I find this very weak... it needs work)

and Character Creation Mechanics.
http://www.strolen.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=20556#20556

and Resolution
http://www.strolen.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=20600#20600

and Combat
http://www.strolen.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=20601#20601

and Magic
http://www.strolen.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=20621#20621

And MegaPowers
http://www.strolen.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=20655#20655
Though this section needs more examples

Example characters
http://www.strolen.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=20332#20332

Now for the questions...

What do you like about it?
What do you hate about it?
What did not make sense?
What would you use it for?

Note: This game is one that will allow for plug ins, sections of rules to be slapped in for certain games. The plug ins can also just advance the basic rules. I want to avoid the "creeping elegance" that normally occurs in game design. This is a barebones system for very fast, very loose play. If you have things you need, you can always slap a plug in on it.

What plug ins do you think this game needs right now.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2005, 05:53:14 PM »
Uh... Off the top of my head, what is the real difference between Powers/Magic and MegaPowers? You haven't really defined MegaPowers very well, and as you have presented them, they're just the same as Powers or Magic.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2005, 09:58:23 AM »
MegaPowers just activate, they are extensions of a person's natural abilities. Power Traits require a successful action to generate and skill to activate.

MegaPowers generate fatigue upon use for three impulses. Power Traits generate manna every time they are activated.

Power Traits are good for spells, psionics, and other magics. MegaPowers are used for super heroes, supernatural and paranatural beings (werewolfs, vampires, winged folks, aqautic Atlanteans, and people who fly, through powerbolts, and have a recent string of hit movies). Mega Powers can also be used for cyberware, the hyperskills of an immortal, and so on, as long as the powers are effectively an innate part of the character.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2005, 02:34:13 PM »
Okay Version 2.1 is in process... the game is cooking in my head.

A couple of revisions
1) Attributes will be matched successes. So if you have three traits in aspect of DEX

1D = 2Ds worth of success
2D = 4Ds worth of success
3D = 6Ds worth of success
4D = 7Ds worth of success

2) Make smaller, so I am going to write a thumbnail version that will expand out.

3) Add play examples in the examples.  obviously I am missing a few things.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Re: StoryPath- an RP system proposal **
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2006, 07:10:15 PM »
Went looking for this and could not find it.  So... bumped to be found.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
Authentic Strolenite ®©