llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Man these stink  (Read 12901 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Man these stink
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2003, 11:24:22 PM »
Hey, in Reign of Fire,  did you ever notice how at the end, when Van Zan jumps on the big poppa Wyvern, he has that axe? And how he's carrying the axe through the whole movie? What does he use that axe for? He doesn't even hit Poppa Wyvern with it! It must be there just for him to look manly! It's his big, steel Manly Axe!
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Almatari

• Grand Master
    • Awards
Man these stink
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2003, 02:43:17 PM »
Westerns most defanatly and comming from me this is a shock I fell asleep during Lord of the Rings (animated) It was SOOO boring.
I also think that horror movies are no good or I have a high fright level.
You can always see the monsters zipper!
Trees!!!
A tree fell in the forest. A man didn't hear it. He is now dead.

"Dont talk to it, Merry! Don't encourage it!"

"Don't touch it! You don't know what it is!"

Offline Adel

• King
    • Awards
Man these stink
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2003, 05:10:46 PM »
I am sorry I am with Kassil on this one I hated the move Reign of Fire It was boring.. I had to keep from falling asleep when watching it.  They weren't dragons in the least, and the actors and actresses were bad!
Adel
a simple girl with a complex past

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Agar

• Master
  • Awards Item Guild Golden Creator Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Awards
Man these stink
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2003, 09:03:15 PM »
Someone wrote adding Signs to the list of stinkers, and while I think the movie was well written (mostly), I'll second the motion for purely vindictive reasons. The movie disrupted my sleep for about a month after I saw it. :(

One big, huge problem I had with the writing of signs was the 'ancient writings describing how to kill the aliens'  :? Handy how they turned up suddenly like that. How does one use Babalonian (or what ever) to say 'Rinse, repeat.'  :lol: And just what, EXACTLY, was so bad about just picking up a 12 gauge and blastin' them full of holes? :evil:

The only way I was able to resume my normal sleep cycle again after watching that movie was to write out a parody of the whole thing in my mind. Now the farm family has cats, no dogs, and the aliens are trying to use mind control to make everyone disco. That scene at the beginning where the dog freaks out and tries to attck the girl is gone. Now the cat stands on its hind legs and starts meowing "Macho, macho man" while dancing. The film from mexico doesn't show the green alien just strolling from behind the bushes, he comes out moonwalking and does a spin.

Where are the Wayans brothers when you need them?
After a brief retirement while I got married and traveled the country, I'm back. Just getting back into the swing of things for now, but gearing up to hit things up like I used to.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Man these stink
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2003, 10:03:18 PM »
Any Dragonball Z, Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh s**t. (Sorry, had to say it.)
Reign of Fire. Those were WYVERNS, dammit! And I gotta say it: Manly Axe!
Chicago. That movie was just total crap. It sucked a gorilla's ass.

Almatari, I'm surprised and dissapointed! You didn't like the LOTR movies? Sure, they weren't as good as the books, but they were still great! Again! Kull Wahad!

d**n that Reign of Fire, giving dragons a bad name....Manly Axe!

About Signs, if the Aliens are destroyed by water, what about the water in the Earth's atmosphere, eh?

Offline Almatari

• Grand Master
    • Awards
Man these stink
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2003, 10:23:34 PM »
I said the animated ones, I loved the ones with the real actors I have two DVD's of FotR and as soon as I can get the TTT DVD I will probably buy 2 of thoes too.
I loved Signs I  cried tho I only jumped once!
I jumped during LotR three times and the first time I saw FotR in theaters I
thought Gandalf was going to eat the moth!
Trees!!!

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Man these stink
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2003, 11:02:03 PM »
It did look like he was going to eat the moth, didn't it?
Just like Master Li from Kung Pow.

Offline Almatari

• Grand Master
    • Awards
Man these stink
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2003, 11:06:50 PM »
I think I might be a little sadistic because I kept waiting for him to just eat it I thought foods food, right
Trees!!!

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Enough about you, let's talk about me!
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator Elite Systems Guild Elite Plot Guild Elite Item Guild
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
Man these stink
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2005, 06:12:05 AM »
My worst movie ever list:
1. Dungeons and Dragons
2. Any Disney movie made later than 1970
3. Star Wars 1,2 & 6.
4. Any college movie
5. Most french movies
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Guild Master of the Squirrelati
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Man these stink
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2005, 04:59:37 PM »
You didn't like Return of the Jedi?!
BLASPHEMY!

Offline Cheka Man

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Society Guild Locations Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Man these stink
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2005, 07:42:14 PM »
Lord of The Rings (animated) I think was good in parts.It did a good job of the Black Riders.Where it failed was in not having enough money to be finished.The rest of the things described here-YUCK!

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
  • Awards 2013 Best Play By Post Game Hall of Heroes 10 Golden Creator Elite Systems Guild Elite Plot Guild Elite Item Guild
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
Man these stink
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2005, 12:34:18 AM »
Quote from: "CaptainPenguin"
You didn't like Return of the Jedi?!
BLASPHEMY!

Sorry. The Ewoks... Read Agar's previous post. It echoes my thoughts on the subject!
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline manfred

• His Manic Majesty, blesseth by Mathom
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Item Guild Lifeforms Guild
    • Awards
Man these stink
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2005, 06:24:17 AM »
Well, if you have something against ewoks, the following scientific treatise could make you feel sorry for them. Or maybe not:

http://www.theforce.net/swtc/holocaust.html
Do not correct me, I know I am wrong.

Offline Kinslayer

• The Glorious One
  • Master
  • Doom
    • http://Lost-Souls.co.nr
    • Awards
Man these stink
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2005, 10:51:49 PM »
Good, there are too many Ewoks anyway.  Are there no prisons? Are there no workhouses?
Midian Dark Fantasy Roleplaying Game
The Official Game of the Internet
http://Lost-Souls.co.nr
http://Lost-Souls.hk.st

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Maggot

• Insectoid Horror Of Canberra
  • Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Society Guild Elite Society Guild Locations Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Questor
    • Awards
Man these stink
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2005, 11:29:40 PM »
Quote from: "Ria Hawk"
<shudders> Heaven forbid.  They shouldn't have even made Buffy in the first place.

Hey,Buffy was probably one of the best shows ever on t.v! I doubt if any other t.v show with a supernatural/horror theme would have been able to pack as much drama and meaningful character interaction as it did.  :evil:
“I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak.” -Bill Watterson

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
Man these stink
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2005, 04:59:30 AM »
Buffy who? That blonde tart with a badass attitude and a sadomasochistic vampire fetish? :twisted:
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
Yes that one
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2005, 08:58:26 AM »
Yes, that one.  While the movie Buffy and the TV Buffy are two very different people (and one of the reasons that people who have never seen much of the TV show hate it), the concept is the same. Everyone bags on this show, yet have not seen enough of the episodes to watch the character development and theme development go on. Each seasons is a complete story arc and worthy of watching.

Watching Buffy is kind of like watching Babylon 5, if you don't watch enough episodes in a row, you just don't get it and think its crap.  Once you do, you realize the genius behind it, and love it.

And if Buffy is all that bad, then why has it spawned a spinoff, hundreds of fan sites (with some of the best and I must admit worst fan fic I have ever read), a few dozen books (kind of like Star Trek that way), and an RPG with a spinoff RPG (much better than the Star Trek ones...). The question we should ask is not if Buffy is bad, but why are you in such a minority opinion about it?
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Maggot

• Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Society Guild Elite Society Guild Locations Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Questor
    • Awards
Man these stink
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2005, 09:19:26 AM »
Well said,Moon. Buffy rocks! Pardon such a juvenile slogan on my part,but I feel strongly about a show that changed my life in some ways.
“I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet, raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak.” -Bill Watterson

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Ancient Gamer

• Hammer of the Citadel
  • Emperor
    • Coldforged Home
    • Awards
Man these stink
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2005, 09:20:31 AM »
Hey, that incitement was meant for Cheka!  :lol:
I knew you were a big fan as well, but did not expect you to respond. I thought you would shake your head in frustration and annoyance, maybe, but respond, no ;)

IMHO Buffy is an alright TV show. I'd rather watch Jessica Alba in Dark Angel, but hey, that show got discontinued while Buffy was a huge success. Babylon 5 is great! As for Buffy... A nice ol' show, but not on my top 5 list.

Then again I am one of those who just might not get it... Too little time spent before the TV. Or perhaps I am the only one with good taste on this forum :twisted: (That was a joke gentlemen  :) )
Authentic Strolenite™©®

"Secretly a Squirrel"
Scourge of Nutanuns!
Harbinger of Acorns!

Offline Maggot

• Strolenati
  • King
    • Awards
Man these stink
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2005, 09:37:12 AM »
Hey,I enjoyed Dark Angel myself. Jessica Alab was perfect for the role, And there were other compelling characters too,like the disturbed Agent White,a vicious villain,but a loving father too.

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline Cheka Man

• Strolenati
  • Grand Master
  • Awards Society Guild Locations Guild Item Guild Lifeforms Guild Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Man these stink
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2005, 12:04:13 PM »
I read that Dark Angel was orginly meant to be called Hell's Angel but the Hell's Angel's lawyers launched legal offensives against it.  :roll:

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Man these stink
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2005, 05:06:45 PM »
Actually, Moon, I love Babylon 5 and I loathe Buffy the Vampire Slayer (and yes, I have watched more than a couple episodes).

Buffy the Vampire Slayer brims with all the kind of the black-and-white vision of the world that teenagers are full of, and the cynicism and pathetic jokes are skin-deep. Deep themes? Don't make me laugh.

Babylon 5, on the other hand, was still black-and-white, but there were definitely large grey areas. Except for the Drach or whatever they were called, there were really not many examples of true evil. Even the Shadows were not as explicitly evil as the Drach, just reflecting a side of existence which humans regard as evil- opportunistic, live-for-the-self survival. The Vorlons, while maintaining an appearance of absolute goodness, where also meddlers (i.e., they engineered the appearance of psychic powers in humans) and refused to leave well enough alone and such. There was actual drama and philosophical thought in Babylon 5, which was sorely lacking in Buffy.

Offline Kinslayer

• The Glorious One
  • Master
  • Doom
    • Awards
Man these stink
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2005, 01:08:08 PM »
My problem with Buffy:  tVS--both the movie and television show--was with the original premise.  I find the very concept of a vampire hunter absurd.  Vampires are just higher on the food chain.  It would be like a a sheep who was specially "chosen" to stop the vicious depradations of the vile humans--Fluffy the Human Slayer.

Authentic Strolenite®©

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
Man these stink
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2005, 04:50:00 PM »
CP
Television, in large, is black-and-white in the morality department. It is simple and people like their entertainment simple.

Buffy, unlike Babylon 5, there has actually been scholarly papers on and conferences upon the socialological and psychological ideals manifested in Buffy. Taking it a bit too far, okay.

Article I picked up off the AP

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — It's tough for scholars to be taken seriously when their subject is a TV show about a California blonde fighting evil in a high school built on a gateway to hell.

Particularly when the title is as campy as "Buffy the Vampire Slayer." (search)

But enough professors and writers study the comedic drama and its spinoff, "Angel," to hold a deadly serious academic conference here this weekend attracting more than 325 people.

Buffyologists (search) from as far away as Singapore were presenting 190 papers on topics ranging from "slayer slang" to "postmodern reflections on the culture of consumption" to "Buffy and the new American Buddhism."

There was even a self-conscious talk by David Lavery, an English professor at Middle Tennessee State University, on Buffy studies "as an academic cult."

Lavery and Rhonda Wilcox, a professor at Gordon College in Georgia, co-hosted the conference and are known as the "father and mother" of Buffy studies. They acknowledged they've endured a lot of ridicule from colleagues, but said that's part of the topic's allure.

"It keeps the uncool people away. If you can't get past the title you have no business watching," said Lavery, who co-wrote a book on Buffy with Wilcox.

"It's a badge of honor," said Wilcox, adding that the feeling is similar to a central theme of the show. "The main characters are outsiders. Others are looking at them funny, but they know they're doing the right thing so they do it anyway."

When Wilcox first heard the show's title, she thought "it would either be stupid or the anti-stupid. Within the first few minutes I realized how wonderful and clever it was."

Wilcox, who wrote her doctoral thesis at Duke University about Charles Dickens, compared the show's depth and texture to his 19th century serial novels. "I think it's a great work of art."

It's also become quite a teaching tool.

College courses across the globe are devoted to the show, which was canceled last year, and secondary schools in Australia and New Zealand also provide Buffy classes. Episodes often are used to reach troubled teens, Lavery said.

Geraldine Bloustien, a professor who teaches Buffy among classes on communication studies and media production at the University of South Australia, coordinated a similarly popular academic Buffy conference last year in Adelaide.

"It's fascinating that here is a piece of television enjoyed all over the world," she said. "It has a coherence and a depth I hadn't seen for such a long time. It's like `Sesame Street,' which you can appreciate on several levels."

About a dozen scholarly books on Buffy have been written, including one from the prestigious Oxford University Press coming out next year.

Jana Riess, a religious book editor for Publishers Weekly, said she's gotten tremendous response to her book "What Would Buffy Do? A Vampire Slayer as Spiritual Guide." On Friday, the conference bookstore sold out its copies and she had to bring extras in from her car.

She said she first got "sucked" into the show when she was pregnant and up late one night. "I was so entertained, and then I was embarrassed that I was so entertained.

"But then some of the best conversations I had about spiritual and moral issues were sparked by scenes from Buffy, like what happens after we die and whether the needs of one should outweigh the needs of the many."

Riess was thrilled with the opportunity to connect with fellow Buffyologists:

"We are the few, the proud, the lonely."

So there :P

Kinslayer
Actually, once you know all their weaknesses, vampires are pretty darn easy to kill. This is true in both fiction and gaming. Think about the classic monster movie formula... all this "oooooh" and "ahhhh" and "oh my god!", then they find out about the monster. They catch the monster sleeping in the daylight (or caught in the daylight) and poof... it is all over. If they don't catch the monster sleeping it is because of some contrived plot twist that prevents them. In gaming, once you figure out it is a vampire, apply some detective work, a little trap disarming, and "yawn" dead vampire.  My Stalking the Night Fantastic players actually used to yawn once they figured out it was another vampire to slay. (Until the monsters started using enchanted sunscreen and contacts... they they could limitedly daywalk... but that is another story).

They are not predators, for all their bluff and romantic bravo, they are parasites. Sure, they might pick off a staggler or two, but once they are revealed... it is pretty much over.

So no, it is not that difficult to believe a lone girl is healing the body of humanity from the worms that feed off of it.  

In fact, that most monsters are just parasites off humans (emotions, blood, what ever).  A few that are not, don't specifically hunt humans... humans just happen to be an easy kill and they are hungry.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Kinslayer

• The Glorious One
  • Master
  • Doom
    • Awards
Man these stink
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2005, 07:40:09 PM »
You're trying to bait me, aren't you?  
Quote from: "MoonHunter"
Humans just happen to be an easy kill and they are hungry.
... And they're good eating!

The University of Newcastle upon Tyne's site defines a parasite as, "an organism which obtains food and shelter from another organism," and a predator as, "an animal that kills its prey and then feeds on it to subsist until the next kill."  Admittedly, both definitions could be applied to vampires of myth, fiction, and gaming, but the same could be said about humans.  The predator definition seems to fit them better, but I concede your point.

Authentic Strolenite®©