llamaenterhear

Author Topic: Introduction to a new Game  (Read 454 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Scrasamax

• Redneck Hipster
  • Emperor
  • You say insane like it's a bad thing
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10 Elite Systems Guild
    • Coffee & Cthulhu
    • Awards
Introduction to a new Game
« on: February 14, 2016, 09:01:30 AM »
When you are being introduced to a new game setting, what information do you consider to be the most important? What is most relevant, and what sort of background and fluff info do you want to see?

This isn't including crunchy stuff like game mechanics, stats, etc

Yes this is for the Cosmic Era.
" If the muse comes to your bedside, don’t tell her you’ll f?$! her later."- Allen Ginsberg

Offline Aramax

• Master
  • Awards Hall of Heroes
    • Awards
Re: Introduction to a new Game
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 12:43:51 PM »
I have always run my games the way I want to play them. No Homework, No handouts, allow the players to ask questions and find their own interest level. Keeping as much secret as possible. I ran a 31 year IRL game this way, very few people can say the same
Fighting for peace is like having sex for virginity

Offline Scrasamax

• Redneck Hipster
  • Emperor
  • You say insane like it's a bad thing
  • Awards 2013 Most Submissions 2012 Most Quest Submissions Elite Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Gold Creator 10 Elite Systems Guild
    • Coffee & Cthulhu
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 07:37:25 PM »
I have always run my games the way I want to play them. No Homework, No handouts, allow the players to ask questions and find their own interest level. Keeping as much secret as possible. I ran a 31 year IRL game this way, very few people can say the same

Inspirational, but not very useful.  This isn't for a campaign but the first step towards 'When are you going to publish the Cosmic Era stuff '

What do you want as a reader and gamer.
" If the muse comes to your bedside, don’t tell her you’ll f?$! her later."- Allen Ginsberg

Online Moonlake

• Strolenati
  • King
  • Awards Article Guild Golden Creator Master Questor Hall of Heroes 10 Elite Article Guild Item Guild
    • Moonlake's Fiction Space
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 08:49:53 PM »
Scras, the wording you used made me think you were asking about doing a campaign on CE instead of publishing CE as a novel which I thought was what you are heading towards. But then you talked about the first step towards publishing which I'm unclear as to what exactly it is: are you publishing a game manual based on CE? But then you said game mechanics aside so with no idea on what exactly you have in mind to do, not sure my response will actually be useful and relevant to what you're asking. But here it is regardless, assuming that you are asking about a CE novel and what meta world fluff I would like to see as a reader:
First, I love the presence of fluff in novels (specifically for fantasy, you know I stay away from sci-fis), they make me think that a novel has an underlying world that is vast and my imagination can run wild in it. For CE specifically, must-haves are the alternative history stuff that bring the society to where it is nowadays, the different eras gone through, the emergence of the different alliances, that kind of thing. And in what way the whole society is different from modern society now. Since this is a sci-fi, I presume you can throw in some awesome techs that you've written up, all the different types of virtual entertainment and different robots/cyborgs.

If you need a more specific response than that, then sorry, you need to specify in more clear terms what's this first step you are taking. And also, I'm probably not the best person to give advice since I'm still a very green player and don't even read sci-fi. Much as I admire your writing style in general, I've still not become an avid reader of CE after that taste of it I got from the RVE.

Human (Level 2)
Crysilis Embroider -  Apprentice Weaver
Moonlake Ku - Apprentice Strolenati
STR: 4 | END: 4 | CON: 4 | DEX: 4| CHA: 2 | INT: 3
"Crazy woman devoted to 2 Worlds, 2 Guilds and randomness"
Visiting beloved Dragon Empire