llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Shadowed Galaxies-General thoughts  (Read 3499 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Araith

• Guardian
    • Awards
Shadowed Galaxies-General thoughts
« on: April 19, 2004, 05:13:22 PM »
I was trying to make a different type of universe before, but I kept coming back to ideas from Shadowed Galaxies. So I decided to try and expand on this setting. If you have any questions, post them here, or suggestions for that matter.
19:43:31 [Shadoweagle] Heya - your not moderator anymore, Araith?

19:43:40 [Araith] Nope

19:43:50 [Araith] I 'accidentaly' Deleted the site.

19:43:56 [Araith] So I got demoted.

Offline Araith

• Guardian
    • Awards
Pirate Band?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2004, 05:54:57 PM »
I was thinking of creating a group of raiders. That steal anything they can get their hands on. They move away from any threats, and will at no point for any reason go near territory controlled by the Shadow. They steal and raid palsan/alliance ships and worlds when possible. They steal mainly food, but also technology when convienent. But the group won't consist of any Shadow creatures.

Once I get enough details to make a post devoted to them alone, I will, but I won't do that for awhile. If you have any suggestions to a name, society, government, anything for this group, go ahead and post your ideas/questions here.

For their government, I would assume such a group would have a monarchy type deal, where the strongest rule, and will kill for any reason they choose. The rules for the group are: There are no rules. The strongest direct their movements and raids. I was thinking of them having a space station type base. Not inhabiting any worlds.

Offline Araith

• Guardian
    • Awards
Misc. terms/events
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2004, 06:12:32 PM »
Arcana: Arcane force throughout the galaxy. Arcana's precise source is unknown, but it is thought to be from the Veile Nebula, which has never been successfully explored to any great extent. Its waves are organized amongst relatively elemental lines. One who taps the Arcana is known as an Arcanist. Arcana is dangerous to the mind to handle without a very strong force of mental discipline, thus, most powerful Arcanists have trained themselves in a specific creed or way of life.

Core, The: The Core was once the center of civilization. Gifted with an abundance of habitable worlds and a variety of races, this region enjoyed peace and prosperity for thousands of years before the arrival of the Shadow, during which the Hegira occurred, a mass refugee flight during which survivors scattered in all directions. One of these larger bands formed the Alliance and settled in the Outer Rim, where the Shadow's larger forces followed.

Exiled Ones: A group of gods banished from this dimension for their depravity.

Hegira: Name of the journey from the Core to the Outer Rim. During the Hegira, the Shadow pursued the refugees, forcing them all into a savage struggle to survive which lasted three years. Ships were lost, drifted away, destroyed, and many survivors of the Lightdeath died. The Hegira gives most Alliance members nightmares.

Hegira, equipment: Hegira equipment was that carried by the Survivors. Although originally no more special then any other, over time, they somehow absorbed the need and fear of their users, becoming more accurate, faster, stronger. Hegira equipment is rare and rarely given out, and NEVER sold. It is almost considered holy, in a peculiar way, and to carry any is a great honor.

Human: Average race of Exarch. The most populous race of the galaxy.

Lightdeath: The Alliance name for the Shadow invasion.

Mirava Project: A scientific research project which was designed to create new, genetically superior races. However, it was destroyed in an unexplained accident which is unsolved to this day.

Coulani: Ian Everis' homeworld, lost in the Core. Once a mining and resource-gathering colony, it was never very large in population and fell rapidly.

Offline Araith

• Guardian
    • Awards
Warp Technology
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2004, 06:13:06 PM »
Warp weapons: Warp technology cuts micro-rifts in the fabric of space-time, causing a potent energy reaction in the case of weapons. Its wounding power is considerable, as is its blast radius. The microrifts in space-time cause cleaner and more serious wounds then slug weapons. Warp technology for weaponry is questionable in its legality and is highly rare, usually custom-made.

Warp, travel: The same principle of Warp weapons powers warp travel. By cutting a hole in space-time, ships can travel great distances in real-time seconds, although the energy requirement is considerable. It is the primary form of long-distance travel when communication between both starting and ending points is open and distances are relatively short. Otherwise, a cruder form of warp travel, hypertravel, is used, where the space-time disruptors greatly shorten the length of time required to travel in space.

Offline Araith

• Guardian
    • Awards
HELP!
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2004, 05:46:20 PM »
I need feedback! Anything at all!

I've gotten no feedback whatsoever, I know a few of you have read a lot of my setting. I want to know what you people think!

Anything will help, ideas/suggestions/questions? Anything will help, I just want to know what you guys think.

~Thanks

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2004, 07:05:48 PM »
Uh....
What's your favorite color?
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Araith

• Guardian
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2004, 07:31:33 PM »
ARRRG!! Ahem...Green...But seriously, about this setting. I don't know how long I can keep this up alone....

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2004, 08:24:40 PM »
Deep breathe. Find your center....caaaalm.

It has only been a couple days, I haven't even had a chance to read them and until my finals are over I probably won't get around to it.

Look at Aros, been working on it for 10 years and that pitiful thread is all I got down. World building is a tough thing and it takes a loooooong time.

Patience young padawan, the force will come to you.  :)

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline MoonHunter

• Waunderer
  • Emperor
  • Awards Systems Guild Society Guild Locations Guild Questor Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
Hmmmm.
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2004, 03:13:36 AM »
Too many threads. Attention waundering. Too much material. Not sure what to read first, or next. Do these things come with an instruction manual?  AAAAAAA!!!!!

This sounds glib. It is. But it makes a point.

To be honest, that is why most people make worlds in one thread (until they reach critical mass and we give them a forum).  It keeps people focused.  They have to read releated posts, as they are scrolling down to the posts they are directly interested in. Kerren was a hyperactive thread, by most standards, and there were times I was wondering if anyone was out there. (I also hit writer's block on it as well).  

I actually think people respond better to single world threads than they do to worlds in the forum.  I am still testing that hypothesis.

Note: If you put a Table of Contents in the first post (that you edit and keep up to date), people will know what is interesting to them and where it is.
MoonHunter
Sage, Gamer, Mystic, Wit
"The road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."
"The world needs dreamers to give it a soul."
"And it needs realists to keep it alive."
Authentic Strolenite ®©

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Locations Guild Questor Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Plot Guild Hall of Heroes 10
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2004, 08:11:31 AM »
Good point about the world forums...and the single thread makes sense too.

Set it up how it is convenient for you though when it comes down to it, especially when you are creating with the intention of getting your forum. But the single thread point is well taken. Never thought of that but I see the sense it makes now.

I agree that once you get a forum you are more on your own. Perhaps post specific things you need help with in the Settings forum (or other appropriate forum) and then once they are solved repost/move/consolidate them into your world forum? I think I did that with something. Hmmm.

Creating a world and getting help is an interesting and difficult thing to do. For the most part it is a single person with a vision and other ideas are sometimes hard to incorporate...double edged sword I guess and a challenge to work through.

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.