llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Obsidian Shadow  (Read 4288 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Strolen

• Ignorance Incarnate
  • Guild Leader
  • Emperor
  • All your base are belong to us.
  • Awards Questor Locations Guild Locations Guild Elite Item Guild Hall of Heroes 10 Plot Guild
    • Strolen's Citadel
    • Awards
Obsidian Shadow
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2004, 04:30:37 AM »
You better have understood Ninja Scroll.

Vampire Hunter D is what got me into anime. Fist of the North Star as well.

Akira too, but not as much. Ghost in the Shell. All the classics.

Princess Mononoke is a great one too.

I never did go for any of the series although I did try a few Slayers, Serial Experiments, Berser(ker?), and a few others that slip my mind. Anime is cool regardless!!

Flying Squirrel – Strolenati Guild
Grothar Rockfury - Dwarvish Guild
Minor Minion - Cartographer's Guild
Level 3
STR: 5 | END: 2 | CON: 3 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 2 | INT: 6
Authentic Strolenite™©® | Llama is as Llama does.

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
  • Awards Questor 2013 Location of the Year NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
Obsidian Shadow
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2004, 04:33:04 AM »
Vampire hunter D: Bloodlust is most probably my favourite anime movie.

And Berserk is pretty good, though I've only seen the first two DVD's of it :P
Lazarus Lightward, Elite Diabolist of the Brotherhood - Level 3 Occultist
Deathpriest Noxx, Herald of Eternal Silence – Level 2 Necromancer
STR: 2 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 12 | INT: 13

Strolenite Relic, resurfaced.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Obsidian Shadow
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2004, 08:22:15 AM »
I really liked Akira and Ghost in the Shell, though they were somewhat similar.
How could you possibly enjoy watching Dragonball Z? Every episode is just a rehash of the previous episode, in which they stand around charging up for their stupidly powerful attacks and howling as their muscles become more defined.
And when they aren't doing that, they fly around and block each other's blocks.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline TsarDragon

• Apprentice
    • Awards
Huh?
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2004, 06:43:27 PM »
You need to classify which Gundam series, because There's like. . . six series in the US and possibly more in Japan.

Personally I like Gundam Wing the Best.

DBZ ROCKS!  It's HILARIOUS!  It's the perfect example of male stupidity and arrogance, or most of the gender(LOL) made into a show!  Sorry, but for over half of the guys I know it's the truth!  I know it's pretty sad.  I love the show though.  But I have to agree with Shadoweagle, Dragonball is better.  My fav. character is Piccolo (Go green!)  and Vegeta!  I cried when Vegeta died in the Buu Saga.  I cried sooo bad that it was scary!  

Princess Mononoke was really good, but Grave of the Fire Flies has to be the best of Miyazaki's work.  It's really really sad though.  I watched in complete Japanese no subs and I still was so moved I bawled like a baby, but despite that it is one of the Greatest anime movies Ive ever watched.

Correction to an earlier statement.  I know one guy who plays a female rp character. (Good for you.if girls can play guys why cant guys play girls?)

I know how you feel Shadow!  I live in the country an hour away from the nearest mall, which is only one story and is so small it's pitiful.  It's not a large city, actually it can't really be called a city, so they stock all the crap and that's if they have any at all.  The only variety in anime I've seen is in hentai(I remind you I have many guy friends, perverted guy friends.) because there's a larger majority of people who watch it than there is the normal anime.
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?"

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Obsidian Shadow
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2004, 09:40:06 PM »
Grave of the Fireflies is the saddest anime EVER.
Its ending was one of two times that a game or movie has moved me to tears. The other is when Aeris died in Final Fantasy VII.

Offline TsarDragon

• Apprentice
    • Awards
Yes!*tear*
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2004, 06:00:38 PM »
It IS the saddest anime EVER!  I think I cried for like three hours afterwards.  It was a really powerful movie.  (For once a man who can admit

One thing that is lucky for me is my best friend is half Japanese and his grandparents send him a lot of anime straight from Japan. Which means:

No crappy voice actors who can't pronounce the names and don't fit the characters.  No deleted scenes or episodes!  (I hate it when they do that!  What really makes me mad is because usually the reason they delete the scenes or episodes is because it has a homosexual scene in it and personally I find that prejudiced, but anyhoo. . . )  The dialogue hasn't been changed so much that it barely resembles what the character was first intended to say.  I hate that to. It takes away from some of the shows when they do that, but someone told me that the Japanese are cracking down on this and are basically saying, "If you don't stop doing this so much, we won't give you the anime."  not sure if it's true, but that's what I heard.

Though I have to say there is one anime where I prefer the American voice actors to the Japanese and that's in Fuits Basket.("Sometimes it feels like everyone is conspiring to destroy my house"~Shigure)  It was really good dubbing (dubing?) in my point of view.

Since we're on the subject:  Any of you manga fans?
My favs. are: Fake, Mars, Love Hina, Chobits, and Snow Drop!

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Obsidian Shadow
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2004, 06:54:15 PM »
Neon Genesis Evangelion, X, Blade of the Immortal, Lone Wolf and Cub, and Guyver.

Offline PenDragon

• Apprentice
    • http://Fathomgate.com
    • Awards
Obsidian Shadow
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2004, 07:42:24 PM »
I would say pirates of dark water is prety good. Dragon ball was okay but not DBZ
Knowledge talks; Wisdom listens

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
  • Awards Questor 2013 Location of the Year NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
Re: Yes!*tear*
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2004, 08:26:22 PM »
Quote from: "TsarDragon"

No crappy voice actors who can't pronounce the names and don't fit the characters.

All the anime dvds that I have, have the japanese language version in the selection. And I see no reason why that would be any different for america.

But one thing I would like to point out - Some japanese voice actors don't seem to fit with me, either  :lol:

Also, Bieng oh-so-lazy ;) I prefer not to have to read what people are saying, and thereby missing what is visually happening on-screen.

ah, and The Gundam I saw was Gundam wing, and I did not like it. but then, that IS just my personal preference :P
Lazarus Lightward, Elite Diabolist of the Brotherhood - Level 3 Occultist
Deathpriest Noxx, Herald of Eternal Silence – Level 2 Necromancer
STR: 2 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 12 | INT: 13

Strolenite Relic, resurfaced.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
    • Awards
Obsidian Shadow
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2004, 08:37:03 PM »
I prefer subtitles and Japanese, myself, but many anime DVDs don't provide them.

Offline TsarDragon

• Apprentice
    • Awards
Re: Yes!*tear*
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2004, 12:07:57 PM »
Quote from: "Shadoweagle"
[All the anime dvds that I have, have the japanese language version in the selection. And I see no reason why that would be any different for america.

But one thing I would like to point out - Some japanese voice actors don't seem to fit with me, either  :lol:

Also, Bieng oh-so-lazy ;) I prefer not to have to read what people are saying, and thereby missing what is visually happening on-screen.

Yes the first is true, but the thing is the subs that they put at the bottom aren't always true to what the character is truely saying.

And yes I really agree about the Japanese voice actors, because I can understand why they might want to use older women in the place of teen males for their experience, but I beg of them, choose females who don't sound so obviously female!  Yuki's Jpanese voice actor on Fruits Basket is so obviously female it scares me!  Not to mention that it annoys the hell out of me.  She's a good voice actor, but not for a male character in my opinion.  I mean, yes I understand Yuki is supposed to be very feminin(e?)
on the show, but the voice just doesn't fit!  They also sometimes use guys that sound like they're at least in their 40's or 50's for a teen's voice.

I don't like having to read the subtitles very much either, but you get used to it.  At first I just basically watched the show first and got the gist of what was going on, because you don't really need a language that you aunderstand to understand what's happening.  I get manga that's in all Japanese, so it doesn't really bother me.  Then I would go back and read the subs if I had to, if I didn't fully understand a scene.

I'd just like to put down here an apology for my long period of silence.  I had barely any time to read just posts.  And I type slow too. I was hardly on here actually.  The rest of this month's going to be busy too. Gr.  So I decided to babble now. I can't wait for summer!