llamaenterhear
Username: Password:

Author Topic: Reality 2.0 What If?  (Read 2185 times)

0 Members and 1 Lonely Barbarian are spying on this topic.

Offline Araith

• Guardian
    • Awards
Reality 2.0 What If?
« on: April 13, 2004, 06:19:35 PM »
Hello. Don't be surprised, I know this sort of thing isn't in the manual; you're not supposed to get messages during transit...and you're not. But I'm sort of outside the rules, at least for the moment, so I'm making an exemption. Unfortunately, it's to give you bad news: you're screwed.

So am I, but at least I have a better idea of why. Since it's largely my fault that you're in this too, I'll try to explain.

Some of it you know already. The game you're playing is the end result of over two decades of work. I started it as a hobby way back in the first decade of the millennium, me and a few of my friends in the industry. There've been a lot of advances since then, both in hardware and software, and we were at the forefront of all of them. It's good to have connections.

The goal was to create a perfect simulation of the Real World. One that would fool any test you cared to give it. When we started, technology was already moving in that direction, but it was a long way from what we wanted. Three years ago, we achieved what we were looking for.

We fed every scrap of information we could get our hands on into the Earth 2.0 simulation. Physical sciences, literature, political journals. Our AI took all that information, correlated it, and created the physical simulation based on it. The first time I entered it they played a little joke on me: they dropped me in in a perfect recreation of the room I'd just left. I was saying, "Guys? When're you going to start?" for a good ten minutes before they let me in on it.

The level of detail was amazing. If the AI didn't have the right facts, it could extrapolate them. The military, for example, rebuffed our inquiries into it's technological research. Their counterparts in Earth 2.0 were a lot more cooperative, and if the simulation differs from the real thing, I'd be very surprised.

Simply creating a simulation of that magnitude was a feat in itself, but it wasn't enough. The next step was the ability to make changes in the simulated reality. For instance, what if all cars were pink? What if the sky were bright red? What if the sun didn't exist? What if that chick I had a crush on in high school had actually liked me? The simulation could take any proposition, and remake reality to make it fit. Magic, starships, whatever you could imagine.

It was like being a God.

We kept Earth 2.0 as it was, as the template, and went a little nuts creating fantasy worlds on other machines, all networked together. E2 was the command center, the nexus of the whole thing. Some of the worlds we made were a little..well, a lot bizarre. Kensington's Humanoid Asparagus world, for instance. Or the one where Canada wins WWII. weird.

It was another couple of years before the right kind of technology reached the average consumer. We were on the cutting edge, and our funding came from dozens of sources. Some anonymous, which kind of scares me, now. Didn't really think of it then. Joe Average didn't have our kind of hardware then, but when he caught up, we marketed Reality 2.0 as a game, with a few modifications.

The opportunity to play God on a grand scale appealed, and we were rolling in more dough than we knew what to do with. We had one hundred thousand users sign up in the first week. Each making their own little world, thousands of self-made deities.

And all these little fiefdoms were linked together. Being all-powerful pales after awhile. Once you got tired of being omnipotent, you could create an avatar, a character without the ability to alter the simulation, and either go amongst your creations and see what you'd wrought, or enter one of your Nexus Gates and visit the world of someone else's imagination.

It all worked perfectly for a long time. For five years, people created dreamworlds, travelled between them, all having a grand old time. The development team and I were delirious at the success of our creation, and our sponsors were delirious at it's profitability. Everyone was happy until about a month ago.

When I say a month ago, I mean a month in the Real World. See, the brain can process information much faster than most people think, and Reality 2.0 takes advantage of that, meaning you can play for days or weeks while only minutes pass in the Real World.

Anyway, a month ago, The Problem began. Ironically, I was the first to be affected; I'm just as addicted to the game as anyone else. I started to have problems logging, odd thing happened with the time differential. Considering I'm the d**n thing's creator, our inability to find the problem, much less fix it, was maddening. We hadn't had any such problems until this point, the system had been remarkably stable.

Other users had the same difficulties, and some even more bizarre. A steady tide of bug reports flowed in, and we were powerless to do anything.

Just hours ago, things reached the crux: I can't log out. No one can. Worse, I can't access the system, no diagnostics, no AI interface, nothing. The loss of the ability to change the program is minor in comparison. Fortunately, I wasn't far from my current world's Command Center, and from there I was able to reach the Central Nexus on Earth 2.0. From there, I could access a few of the diagnostic programs. Nothing like what I can usually do, and they didn't tell me anything I didn't already know, but it was a start.

For one, I was able to send this message. If you're receiving it, you've created an avatar and inhabited it, either to interact with your world or travel the Nexus Gates. The bad news is, you're trapped that way, you can't go back to being God or log out. The Gates still work, by the way, but they're very nearly random now, don't expect to get where you meant to go. For anyone who hasn't entered a gate yet, enter Override Epsilon Beta 4437 when you do...that'll put you wherever I've gone from here. Wherever that is.

The system map is showing a few anomalies. Things in worlds that shouldn't be there. I'm still in the dark about what's happened to my system, but those look like a good place to start. I'll wait here at the Nexus for awhile in case anyone's lucky enough to end up here, but I'll be leaving soon. The code I gave you will track my movements and put you at the Waygate to whatever world I've gone to.

Good Luck, and stay frosty.

---------------------------------------

Well that's the gist. If this is to be an rp, the players would be playing a character playing a character.

Characters

As an example, here's the one I'd be playing:

Username: Glyph

Personality: Easygoing and very involved in the Reality 2.0 project. He feels personally responsible for his creation's current state, and guilty for dragging it's users into their current predicament.

History:See above (Yes! Read it again!)

Avatar: Glyph's avatar looks much like himself when he was twenty-three, human, dark-brown hair, green eyes. The avatar's a lot tougher and stronger than the average human, but Glyph mostly relied on his powers as the System Admin. Which are now gone.

World: Earth 2.0, and a few others. (Not necessary, unless at some point we travel to your world.

(The Real World stuff isn't necessary, but it would certainly add depth to your character.)

Travelling
Each world has a Waygate, where new arrivals from other worlds appear, and a Command Center, which is the heart of that world. Each can appear as whatever it's creator desires, gothic castle, towering scyscraper, the flagship's bridge. The Command Center contains the Nexus Gate, from which one can travel onwards. Each Nexus is connected to about a dozen Waygates in other worlds. Additionally, if you know the address to another world, you can go there directly. Waygates only lead back to the world the traveller originated from.

unfortunately, as the RP begins, the Nexus Gates only lead to their 'default' worlds, that is, you can't jump directly to your destination.

Also, only avatars can travel through Gates.

Dying

Since this is an online RPG, basically, and it's entirely possibly to meet vengeful gods, if someone's avatar is slain, they reappear back at their last waygate. Somewhat inconvenient, but I don't want to see anyone lose their character unnecessarily.

Make your avatar whatever you want, but remember: the point is that they're not godly powerful. If you wanted to be God, you'd have stayed one. Also, avatars will be bound by the physics of the world, if a creator says, "No magic in my world." then your mage avatar will be unable to use magic. Vice versa for high-tech types. If it isn't specifically prohibited, I'll probably allow it.

The beings inhabiting the worlds will see avatars as being like themselves. If your avatar is a dragon or cyborg or something, a world of humans will see it as human as well.

At any time, you can teleport back to the last Waygate, and only there, unless your avatar has some other means.

Creators

If you're one of those who hasn't yet abandoned their Godliness, remember: you won't have recieved Glyph's message, so you won't know about the Problem. Also, don't be too vindictive or power-mad, since the others can always escape by teleporting back to the Waygate. And remember, once you make and inhabit an avatar, you're stuck.

The People

Although they're simulations, the populations of the worlds are indistinguishable from real people. They live, they love, they bleed, they have histories and genealogies and jobs. Remember that if you're being God, or before you run them through.

New Worlds

As it stands, I'm planning on having whoever goes through the Nexus Gate first define the world the party drops into. Whether that world contains one of the anomalies...we'll see.  

------------------------

Now I'm thinking about this as an rp. I want to know what you people think, anything you'd change? Likes? Dislikes? Anything will help.

Final note: Don't bug me about "You copied .hackOtherworldSerialExperimentsLainTheMatrix!". Yes I did. And several others.

Also, I'm sorry for my abrupt leave, put I've been dealing with a crap load of problems and s**t I wish didn't happen, I wanted to apologize to all the people in my few rp's. I still only have limited time right now, but school's almost out and most of my problems are clearing up. So I look forward to role-playing with all of you again!
19:43:31 [Shadoweagle] Heya - your not moderator anymore, Araith?

19:43:40 [Araith] Nope

19:43:50 [Araith] I 'accidentaly' Deleted the site.

19:43:56 [Araith] So I got demoted.

Offline CaptainPenguin

• Bastardo!
  • Squirrel Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Awards Questor Hall of Heroes 10
    • Awards
Reality 2.0 What If?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004, 06:45:19 PM »
Sounds cool. Count me in.
Currently Reading: "Kafka On The Shore" by Haruki Murakami

Currently Listening To: "Piece Of Time" by Atheist

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Elite Item Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
Reality 2.0 What If?
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2004, 11:44:39 PM »
Me too.  And I understand about being busy (that is actually the reason your RPs haven't advanced in your absence.  I've been just too d**n busy.)
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Shadoweagle

• Strolenati
  • Emperor
  • Clear as Glass
  • Awards 2013 Location of the Year Questor NPC Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Item Guild
    • Awards
Re: Reality 2.0 What If?
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2004, 12:57:13 AM »
Quote from: "Araith"

Also, I'm sorry for my abrupt leave, put I've been dealing with a crap load of problems and s**t I wish didn't happen, I wanted to apologize to all the people in my few rp's. I still only have limited time right now, but school's almost out and most of my problems are clearing up. So I look forward to role-playing with all of you again!

RL happens to us all, man, so no biggie. Im wringing my hands in anticipation for Eru'tan to keep going, though :D
Lazarus Lightward, Elite Diabolist of the Brotherhood - Level 3 Occultist
Deathpriest Noxx, Herald of Eternal Silence – Level 2 Necromancer
STR: 2 | END: 2 | CON: 4 | DEX: 2 | CHA: 12 | INT: 13

Strolenite Relic, resurfaced.

Offline Araith

• Guardian
    • Awards
Reality 2.0 What If?
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2004, 05:20:06 PM »
I'm going over this, and am looking at a few ideas, but I don't know if I want to bring them in...I'm gonna wait a few days though before I might post this as an rp. I still feel it's lacking something, but if I don't do anything to change it, I'll post this as an rp sometime this week or next.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Offline sniperspy

• Emperor
    • Awards
Reality 2.0 What If?
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2004, 09:54:55 PM »
woah, someones been watching a little too much Matrix!

No Im kidding of course, you already admitted! But it sounds awesome and if I can I want to get in on some aspects!
Bow down to the almighty ruler of your pitiful existance!

Offline Araith

• Guardian
    • Awards
Reality 2.0 What If?
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2004, 05:59:20 PM »
I'm gonna start this rp soon, but I want anyone who wants to join to post their character bios, like mine here. So we don't clutter up the rp thread.

Thanks

Offline Ria Hawk

• Wacko Strolenite
  • Emperor
  • Demented Author Chick
  • Awards Lifeforms Guild Item Guild NPC Guild Elite Item Guild Elite NPC Guild Lifeforms Guild Elite
    • KnightHawk
    • Awards
Reality 2.0 What If?
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2004, 06:27:17 PM »
Username: Murasaki

Personality:  Shy and soft-spoken, she was involved in the game because it was a means of escape.  She thinks about anything she says, and rarely says something if it's not important.

History:  She was a failing novelist, confined to a wheelchair after a car wreck.  Suffering from severe depression, she started playing the game to escape.  It was wonderful!  For what felt like the first time, she could really be anyone she wanted, and she mattered, but her injuries did not.  Here she could create anything she wanted, and not worry about how it would be recieved.  The benefit was greater  than that.  She now had a place for her plots and stories to play themselves out, and it allowed her to inject a realism into her work that had never been there before.  The limit was literally her imagination.  It was her inspiration.  Her books became moderately successful, and she was constantly refining her world.
But one can't create all the time.  She created an avatar to go exploring in, for those times when writer's block occured, or she just needed a break.  Her avatar was the woman she had always wanted to look like, another benefit.  She was on one of her little jaunts when everything went to hell.  She had had enough of her break, and wanted to test out some ideas she had gotten from her travels, and so tried to re-enter God mode.  She couldn't.  She kept trying until she recieved the message.  

Avatar:  Murasaki's avatar is a petite human woman, with long dark hair and bright green eyes.  She is moderately attractive, with a nice figure and a flawless complexion.  She's very fast and fairly strong, and dresses in an Oriental-style high-collared blouse and black slacks.  

World: Inspiration.  This world is filled with Murasaki's characters and stories.  People familiar with her work will recognize it, and have some idea of what to expect.
Sometimes angels fall from grace, and sometimes heroes die.

Regina Raptorum, Benevolent Mad Scientist, Writer of Psychos, Guild Mistress of Esoteric Lore, Losers' Club Alumna, and Authentic Wacko

Offline Araith

• Guardian
    • Awards
Reality 2.0 What If?
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2004, 06:43:11 PM »
Also, your avatars don't have to be human, they can be reptiles, robots, fairies whatever. But make them humanoid, no thirty story dragons please :). You can give them powers, but your not an avatar to have god-like abilities, or else you would of stayed in god-mode! But simple little abilities are fine, but if a world has no magic, then your mage avatar is useless :(

And you can start out in god-mode, but if so, you havn't recieved the message that the system is currupt. As soon as you go into your avatar, you get the message and are stuck :(

Have Fun!

Offline Araith

• Guardian
    • Awards
Reality 2.0 What If?
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2004, 05:38:00 PM »
If you want to play in this rp, once I make it, I need you to make a character bio as I've exampled. I'd like to  make this an rp, but I need more people.